Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You might want to make the Ink-Mirror clear the old effect when you look into it, or not give you a new effect until you wash the old one away. Because +1 ongoing stacks.

Other than that, delicious flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Countblanc posted:

It seems pretty incomplete, is there any date for when the full books will be out?

Just reach out to The Supreme Court. He has PMs and all.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Hi! Sorry for the slow reply, I've been working quite a lot this weekend. The Witch Doctor, Reefmonger and Avatar classes are all at their final draft stage before I show them to the community. They should look pretty by Wednesday afternoon.
The Marked, Physicker and Astrophage classes from the stretch goals are still in early draft stages. While I'm planning on showing the community the next drafts relatively soon, completing the graphic design on those playbooks isn't planned until the final week on December.

In terms of non-Playbook content, the Hireling rules and Creation Kit are out! I've included them in the g+ community, but haven't linked to them in the kickstarter document yet. While they're being redrafted, the next release is the Backgrounds overview with examples and creation guide. After that, the ship mechanics (Perilous Journey equivalent, Crew rules, ship types and location:ship battle) will be released to backers. They're ready to go, but I'm doing staggered releases so I can keep active discussion active while I redraft!

Thanks for backing! It's been a pain that I've had to work over the final weekend of the kickstarter, and I've not been able to chat about the project nearly as much as I'd want to. I'll be doing an online g+ hangout after I finish my commute home, in approx two hours!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 1, 2013

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Glazius posted:

You might want to make the Ink-Mirror clear the old effect when you look into it, or not give you a new effect until you wash the old one away. Because +1 ongoing stacks.

Other than that, delicious flavor.

Ack, nice catch there! I've changed the text on my personal notes to reflect (waka waka) your feedback.

I've made one more magical item, with a mechanic I'm not sure about : an automatically granted Defy Danger roll. Check it out; I'd love feedback.

Istaan’s Standard
Punched through with arrowholes and stained with crusting blood, this ragged banner was held once by a heroic captain whose unit was betrayed by a jealous superior and slaughtered to a man by a barrage of his own force’s arrows.
The banner has been through so many desperate and victorious campaigns and been witness to such a cruel betrayal that something of the battlefield remains inside it. It can be held as a standard, or used as a cape or cloak.
When the user holds or wears Istaan’s Standard in combat, it flaps and flags as if a full wind was blowing it, regardless of weather conditions. The fabric will gladly and readily drag through mud or blood, but has a peculiar distate for water, blowing away from it and lying as flat against the user’s back as possible when it rains. Arrows fired at the user are miraculously caught and tangled in the frayed fabric, slowing or even stopping them, and those who wear it find its threads catch at their ear and pull their heads round when an unseen threat creeps up on them.
Treat this protection as an automatically rolled Defy Danger, modified by the user’s +CHA or +1 (the Standard’s Dexterity Modifier), whichever is higher.
Istaan’s Standard abhors dishonesty and treachery in all their forms, and if the user lies or deceives someone in any meaningful way, it will bodily attempt to throttle them (although its grip is fairly weak).
Once it calms down a little, it will trip them up and do its best to get in their way, giving a -1 ongoing to any physical action. This continues until the user removes the Standard or properly atones, in a way fitting the Banner’s (and the GM’s) judgment.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Ack, nice catch there! I've changed the text on my personal notes to reflect (waka waka) your feedback.

I've made one more magical item, with a mechanic I'm not sure about : an automatically granted Defy Danger roll. Check it out; I'd love feedback.

Istaan’s Standard
Punched through with arrowholes and stained with crusting blood, this ragged banner was held once by a heroic captain whose unit was betrayed by a jealous superior and slaughtered to a man by a barrage of his own force’s arrows.
The banner has been through so many desperate and victorious campaigns and been witness to such a cruel betrayal that something of the battlefield remains inside it. It can be held as a standard, or used as a cape or cloak.
When the user holds or wears Istaan’s Standard in combat, it flaps and flags as if a full wind was blowing it, regardless of weather conditions. The fabric will gladly and readily drag through mud or blood, but has a peculiar distate for water, blowing away from it and lying as flat against the user’s back as possible when it rains. Arrows fired at the user are miraculously caught and tangled in the frayed fabric, slowing or even stopping them, and those who wear it find its threads catch at their ear and pull their heads round when an unseen threat creeps up on them.
Treat this protection as an automatically rolled Defy Danger, modified by the user’s +CHA or +1 (the Standard’s Dexterity Modifier), whichever is higher.
Istaan’s Standard abhors dishonesty and treachery in all their forms, and if the user lies or deceives someone in any meaningful way, it will bodily attempt to throttle them (although its grip is fairly weak).
Once it calms down a little, it will trip them up and do its best to get in their way, giving a -1 ongoing to any physical action. This continues until the user removes the Standard or properly atones, in a way fitting the Banner’s (and the GM’s) judgment.

It feels like it has too many cases and rules- it's practically a full playbook's starting moves all by itself.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Overemotional Robot posted:

Is the Slayer that is in the OP the best version? I could have sworn somebody had updated it or something. Also, I think I'll give my player their choice between the DW version and the GW version, but the DW version seems better to me. I dunno.

This is where I got to, but after some time of trying to finish the playbook I still couldn't think of the last 2-3 moves to slot into it. I think it's better than the version that's currently linked in the OP, but it's still incomplete. Sorry, I'm terrible.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Speaking of the Slayer, Androc and I have been working on a playbook built from a heavily modified Slayer crossed with the Cursed Knight - the core mechanic is a sort of hybrid Grisly Trophy-Shapeshift. I'm really happy with it so far!

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 2, 2013

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Has there been any update in this thread on the progress of Inverse World? I'm a bit out of the loop but I was hoping to run a game of it for a friend in a couple weeks, but the last update on the KS page is from the middle of October.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Has there been any update in this thread on the progress of Inverse World? I'm a bit out of the loop but I was hoping to run a game of it for a friend in a couple weeks, but the last update on the KS page is from the middle of October.

Last I saw was some delays for artwork, and apparently someone is currently screaming at something because, and I quote, "If we're still not done by November I'll probably scream at something." Then again, maybe it was just one scream and not a constant scream until the inevitable heat death of the universe.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Boing posted:

This is where I got to, but after some time of trying to finish the playbook I still couldn't think of the last 2-3 moves to slot into it. I think it's better than the version that's currently linked in the OP, but it's still incomplete. Sorry, I'm terrible.

Hey, this is still pretty awesome, though. I ended up stealing some moves from this and made a custom playbook that was a mish-mash of stuff for my player.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Okay, I've got to confess, I have no idea what this even means. If it's an automatic success at Defy Danger, why is the stat mod even important?

You could just say something like "+3 armor against missile weapons", which would probably blunt most arrows pretty severely.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I think the intent is that they don't have to actively Defy Danger in the fiction to make the Defy Danger move, which doesn't really mesh with general *World rules.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I think the intent is that they don't have to actively Defy Danger in the fiction to make the Defy Danger move, which doesn't really mesh with general *World rules.

Yeah, and reading through the magic item compendium I can see that. I'm a little weary of just having a numerical thing for a magical item, but for simplicity's sake I can see why I'd want one.
Here's an updated version of the item, revised for concision and clarity:

Istaan's Standard
This stained, threadbare battleflag once belonged to a great hero, betrayed by his comrades and laid low by friendly arrows. It carries something of his wronged spirit inside, still yearning for just and honorable battle, and it billows and moves by itself, as if moved by the wind. When you carry it or wear it as a cape, its enchanted fabric will physically thwart any attempt at taking your life through subterfuge.
The cape grants armor +3 against surprise attacks and against arrows or bolts.
If the wearer of the cape tells a harmful lie or uses deceitful tactics on the battlefield, the Standard will grow enraged. It either tries to throttle its host or goes entirely limp, refusing them its power until they make amends to its satisfaction (usually through some heroic battlefield deed).

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

CuddlyZombie posted:

We've got a (positive) update coming later this week. Gnome and I are both stuck with holiday family obligations right now.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Yeah, and reading through the magic item compendium I can see that. I'm a little weary of just having a numerical thing for a magical item, but for simplicity's sake I can see why I'd want one.
Here's an updated version of the item, revised for concision and clarity:

Istaan's Standard
This stained, threadbare battleflag once belonged to a great hero, betrayed by his comrades and laid low by friendly arrows. It carries something of his wronged spirit inside, still yearning for just and honorable battle, and it billows and moves by itself, as if moved by the wind. When you carry it or wear it as a cape, its enchanted fabric will physically thwart any attempt at taking your life through subterfuge.
The cape grants armor +3 against surprise attacks and against arrows or bolts.
If the wearer of the cape tells a harmful lie or uses deceitful tactics on the battlefield, the Standard will grow enraged. It either tries to throttle its host or goes entirely limp, refusing them its power until they make amends to its satisfaction (usually through some heroic battlefield deed).

This is cool, but I think magic items work best when their effects are purely narrative. Here's an idea:

Istaan's Standard
This stained, threadbare battleflag once belonged to a great hero, betrayed by his comrades and laid low by friendly arrows. It carries something of his wronged spirit inside, still yearning for just and honorable battle. So long as you bear the standard and adhere to its code of honour, its enchanted fabric will physically thwart any attempt at taking your life through subterfuge.

Basically, enemies know that they're unable to harm you unless they declare their intent openly - they have to tell you they're going to hurt you before they can hurt you. Poison, arrows, murder in the night - it won't work unless you know they're doing it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Final ten hours to back Pirate World! Then I am going to sleep for a whole evening, and it's going to be great.

They then proceeded to get into a tiff with the local militia where the Dashing Hero was shot point-blank in the ribs (for shooting an official in the leg and trying to take a hostage) and they were thrown into a jail to await the arrival of a local constable (and probably the gallows). So what do they do? Well, turns out the Captain (to the suprise of everyone except me) is a loving ghost captain and he negotiates with the ghost of a pirate who died in the same cell decades before. The Captain leaves his body, steals the keys, and the two men escape into the jungle.

I want to use your game as an example in the book! It all sounds bloody brilliant.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mikan posted:

We've got a (positive) update coming later this week. Gnome and I are both stuck with holiday family obligations right now.

Woo! Take your time, enjoy the holidays, though!!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
One of my favorite things about Dungeon World is that a lot of the time, my players will do a quick calculation of the odds and then run like hell from the fight. Which means I get to do epic chase scenes which are the best.

Also, The Supreme Court I had someone running the Brute in my last game and they decided to use that crowd pleaser move to try and out-alpha the leader of a pack of sewer baboons.

He failed utterly and promptly got a face full of angry baboon but it was the greatest thing I've ever seen attempted in a game.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Bigup DJ posted:

Speaking of the Slayer, Androc and I have been working on a playbook built from a heavily modified Slayer crossed with the Cursed Knight - the core mechanic is a sort of hybrid Grisly Trophy-Shapeshift. I'm really happy with it so far!

Do you have a link to the fully updated skin walker? Right now it seems scattered.

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 3, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
As much as I endorse this sentiment, empty quotes with nothing but memes are punishable around here.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Captain Walker posted:

As much as I endorse this sentiment, empty quotes with nothing but memes are punishable around here.

Ah, thank you. Fixed.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You should just take that image out, friendo.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Do you have a link to the fully updated skin walker? Right now it seems scattered.

Well it seems scattered because it is - it's nowhere near done yet! I'm confident we've got the starting moves near finished, though. Here's a recent post on it. I'm busy for the next few days so there might not be any more updates for a short while.

And yeah image macros are a bit naff.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

My Pirate World kickstarter was just successfully funded! Crazy overfunded at that, raising £8129!

Thankyou so much to this thread and all of you guys! It genuinely would still be a bunch of scribbles in a notepad without your comments and criticism.

I'm going to get some much-needed sleep, and I'll be back posting pirate dungeon world content tomorrow morning with a vengeance.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
With my writing for Pirate World finished and submitted to The Supreme Court, it's time to work on one of my many other projects.

I'm getting closer to a finished first draft of The Sorcerer, but I need some other, non-combat non-magic moves for how the Sorcerer interacts with other people and the world around them.

So what do you see Sorcerers doing when they're not meddling in powers best left alone?

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

Final ten hours to back Pirate World! Then I am going to sleep for a whole evening, and it's going to be great.

I want to use your game as an example in the book! It all sounds bloody brilliant.

Well, first that would be loving amazing. Good news is that our campaign wiki is almost up. Second, the Brute who died last session just made his new character: a (GW) Slayer using Lycanthrope as a background. He's a wereshark whose trigger is saltwater.

So he's literally bloodthirsty all the time and since our world is like 80% water he'll just be a ravenous death machine.

On that note, I was wondering if I could get some feedback and help from the community here. I have this weird inclination to make a background for Pirate World, yet I'm complete poo poo at making moves. It's weird, I see people crank out moves all the time, but I have such a hard time coming up with anything that doesn't look (and run) like garbage. I can edit and reflavor all day, but creating anything from scratch I feel like an imbecile. I want to create a background based on The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, because I think it would be cool. I'm imagining the background being something about being a bad omen and detecting things before they happen/make weird poo poo happen through telling stories, but I think I'm all over the place thematically (and mechanically). I'm looking for ways I can make it better, or hell, even just telling me it's not worth wasting my time on!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pfvQ8cVNNie75xVwq1eK5dG1C9A4GHEbnMiKEeoCwc8/edit

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 4, 2013

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

My Pirate World kickstarter was just successfully funded! Crazy overfunded at that, raising £8129!

Thankyou so much to this thread and all of you guys! It genuinely would still be a bunch of scribbles in a notepad without your comments and criticism.

I'm going to get some much-needed sleep, and I'll be back posting pirate dungeon world content tomorrow morning with a vengeance.

Awesome work! I'm super excited about the book.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I've been away from this thread for about 300 pages, what's new in the world of Dungeon World?

Also I tweaked Fortune Hunter a bit more. The biggest change is that I replaced the backgrounds with a single freeform one that should give the player more flexibility in flavoring the class and added a new weapon option. Otherwise just tweaks in the wording.

E: I also made a pdf playbook with that open office template that was posted way earlier.

E2: I'm thinking of applying a thematic rewrite to the fortune hunter. What do you think of The Misfit? The mechanics are exactly the same but I changed the flavor of the class to be a bit more encompassing.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 4, 2013

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

I had to back out at the last minute because after having paid my arrears for last year I had barely enough money left to make it to next payday while still being able to feed me and my cat.

That said, will Pirate World be available for purchase in some form after you're finished with the Kickstarter? I had my eyes on getting one of the physical books, but my situation being what it is I'd be okay with just the PDFs if they become available.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Ratpick posted:

I had to back out at the last minute because after having paid my arrears for last year I had barely enough money left to make it to next payday while still being able to feed me and my cat.

That said, will Pirate World be available for purchase in some form after you're finished with the Kickstarter? I had my eyes on getting one of the physical books, but my situation being what it is I'd be okay with just the PDFs if they become available.

No worries! Send me an email at pirateworlddw@gmail.com and I'll work something out. It will be on sale, yeah! I'll put something proper up soon, but until then I'm just taking sales via paypal. The physical book will be orderable for a while, but custom content should have a fairly short deadline.

I've dropped the ball on this fairly majorly, as I didn't realise kickstarters aren't editable after the project finishes. Going to be significantly harder to get the word out than I'd been expecting!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 4, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Just send out a publicly-viewable update?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, planning on doing that, but I was hoping to have it much more visibly on the main page!

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

madadric posted:

With my writing for Pirate World finished and submitted to The Supreme Court, it's time to work on one of my many other projects.

I'm getting closer to a finished first draft of The Sorcerer, but I need some other, non-combat non-magic moves for how the Sorcerer interacts with other people and the world around them.

So what do you see Sorcerers doing when they're not meddling in powers best left alone?

Great Power - How long does the D10 die last?

A lot of the non-combat is covered by Touch of Power. Maybe extending that ability in some way with advanced moves would be a good idea? Extended range certainly makes sense, but maybe also something that's more specific to the kind of thing being done or what you're interacting with.

For instance, perhaps using their magic to influence a social situation.

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

On that note, I was wondering if I could get some feedback and help from the community here. I have this weird inclination to make a background for Pirate World, yet I'm complete poo poo at making moves. It's weird, I see people crank out moves all the time, but I have such a hard time coming up with anything that doesn't look (and run) like garbage. I can edit and reflavor all day, but creating anything from scratch I feel like an imbecile. I want to create a background based on The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, because I think it would be cool. I'm imagining the background being something about being a bad omen and detecting things before they happen/make weird poo poo happen through telling stories, but I think I'm all over the place thematically (and mechanically). I'm looking for ways I can make it better, or hell, even just telling me it's not worth wasting my time on!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pfvQ8cVNNie75xVwq1eK5dG1C9A4GHEbnMiKEeoCwc8/edit

I really like it, actually. Here's some ideas:

Ancient Mariner is great, but I'd change the last line from "When someone avoids you or your advice based on your mark of doom, gain 1 hold." to "When someone rejects you or your advice due to the [doom-gloom-despair] which surrounds you, hold 1 Doom."

Glittering Eye: I've mashed Glittering Eye together with Reel and Rout here, mainly because I think Reel and Rout would only be useful in a very narrow set of circumstances.

"When you tell tales of the tragic fate that befell one of your shipmates, pick a target and spend 1 Doom. Foul omens arise, as if to warn your target off of something. If the target ignores these omens, they do so at their own expense - history repeats itself and they suffer the fate of your former shipmate. If the target heeds their warning, they narrowly avoid the doom which would befall them."

For instance, you could give an allegory linking your target to the fate of your former shipmate - "Steer very well clear of the Sargasso, boy, a shipmate of mine once..." - and they would suffer the same fate as your shipmate, down to the last details of the story.

Work 'em 'Woe: I'm not sure if this is worth spending 1 Doom on, but consider making it cost something. Also consider rewriting the trigger so it's a little more ominous, more open to reading - "When you work on a symbol of your enemies' luck," - the Ancient Mariner is all about omens. "When you accompany a curse with the befouling of a good omen," could also work.

Dead Man's Eye is good as it is, but I think it would be cool if the spirit in question haunted you until you performed the penance.

P.S. If anyone's interested in playing Dungeon World over IRC my game's still open to applications.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 5, 2013

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Bigup DJ posted:

I really like it, actually. Here's some ideas:

Ancient Mariner is great, but I'd change the last line from "When someone avoids you or your advice based on your mark of doom, gain 1 hold." to "When someone rejects you or your advice due to the [doom-gloom-despair] which surrounds you, hold 1 Doom."

Glittering Eye: I've mashed Glittering Eye together with Reel and Rout here, mainly because I think Reel and Rout would only be useful in a very narrow set of circumstances.

"When you tell tales of the tragic fate that befell one of your shipmates, pick a target and spend 1 Doom. Foul omens arise, as if to warn your target off of something. If the target ignores these omens, they do so at their own expense - history repeats itself and they suffer the fate of your former shipmate. If the target heeds their warning, they narrowly avoid the doom which would befall them."

For instance, you could give an allegory linking your target to the fate of your former shipmate - "Steer very well clear of the Sargasso, boy, a shipmate of mine once..." - and they would suffer the same fate as your shipmate, down to the last details of the story.

Work 'em 'Woe: I'm not sure if this is worth spending 1 Doom on, but consider making it cost something. Also consider rewriting the trigger so it's a little more ominous, more open to reading - "When you work on a symbol of your enemies' luck," - the Ancient Mariner is all about omens. "When you accompany a curse with the befouling of a good omen," could also work.

Dead Man's Eye is good as it is, but I think it would be cool if the spirit in question haunted you until you performed the penance.

P.S. If anyone's interested in playing Dungeon World over IRC my game's still open to applications.

This is all great advice and I'm going to go work on it right now! Thank you so much!

Edit: Cleaned it up with your suggestions but I'm still not sure what to do with Reel and Rout (I reused the name on another move). I also feel like all the moves should use Doom, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it. Dead Man's Eye is especially tricky since I changed it up a little. Either way, thank you for the advice. It's given me something to think about tomorrow!

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 5, 2013

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I don't understand.

I don't understand how Dungeon World always manages to be so goddamn wonderful every single time that I play it. I've been playing and GM'ing campaigns for DW literally every week for the last year and none of my friends are even relatively interested in any other kind of system. They don't want to lose their narrative power, they don't want to miss the ridiculous off-the-cuff monster hunting adventures. They don't want to roll initiative, they don't want to wait an hour for their turn and they certainly don't want to spend an entire session in character creation.

Dungeon World has ruined me as a GM. My idea of prep for a roleplaying campaign is binging on Netflix and assorted fantasy novels. The decisions I have to make at the table are tyrannical and terrifying and unfair and the most fun anyone at the table has ever had with a tabletop game. Everything oozes flavor and I've learned that if a description isn't evocative, don't stop describing it until the PC's poo poo their pants. A failed roll doesn't mean failure, it means that bad things happen. Buildings crumble, eyes widen, the hydra's extra head begins to spew fire. The players are afraid for their characters, because their characters actually mean something. The players are proud of their characters, because they are competent and badass and tragic and mortal and :siren:always:siren: in danger.

I am incredibly critical of most every other system I read because I don't believe the eldritch death beam of a ten-thousand year old undead lich needs a number value assigned to it.

I don't understand how 70% of my dialogue is "Of course you can do that!" and "Ok, how do you do it?". They probably don't know it, but my players are actually running the game themselves. Every situation is a situation that the players get themselves in, and they love and fear every goddamn second of it.

I don't understand how I've backed literally every single dungeon world kickstarter project that I've ever heard of. Actually I do, it's because you guys are wonderful.

If you are reading this thread and somehow haven't convinced a group of friends to play this wonderful game, you are doing yourself a disservice.

P.S. My only actual complaint is that vancian casting blows and the fighter is boring, but our wonderful Gnome has done a pretty amazing job of remedying that. Also use as many crazy classes as you can get your hands on.

P.S.S. By the way, Pirate World, Inverse World and Grim World are all incredibly fantastic and I'm proud to be part of these forums

P.S.S.S. Does anyone know a good way to host several pdf's all in one link? One of my incredibly dedicated friends spent time transposing The Stolen, The Battlemage, The Slipstream Warrior, The Imposter, The Summoner and The Fae onto the word template that was posted earlier in the thread for use in our playgroup.

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 5, 2013

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

TwingeCrag posted:

A failed roll doesn't mean failure, it means that bad things happen. Buildings crumble, eyes widen, the hydra's extra head begins to spew fire.

This is exactly why I love Dungeon World and the PBTA system. It doesn't concern itself with pass/fail or difficulty, it concerns itself with actions and consequences.

This is most clear in the way the rules are chopped up into the moves that have a trigger (When A happens", "When you do B") then perhaps a mechanical part (Roll+X, Choose Y,") and the consequences. Sometimes the consequences are as direct as pass or fail, sometimes they involve complications, and sometimes the roof caves in and everything's on fire.

It's the game I wish I had 15 years ago when I first started out roleplaying.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TwingeCrag posted:

P.S.S.S. Does anyone know a good way to host several pdf's all in one link? One of my incredibly dedicated friends spent time transposing The Stolen, The Battlemage, The Slipstream Warrior, The Imposter, The Summoner and The Fae onto the word template that was posted earlier in the thread for use in our playgroup.

Put 'em all into a .zip, and then post the .zip in MediaFire or Dropbox.

Alternatively, combine the PDFs into one document, and then post that.

Secondly, you probably shouldn't post a full PDF of The Fae in this thread, because it's being sold for money and that would be :filez:

And lastly,

TwingeCrag posted:

P.S. My only actual complaint is that vancian casting blows and the fighter is boring, but our wonderful Gnome has done a pretty amazing job of remedying that. Also use as many crazy classes as you can get your hands on.

P.S.S. By the way, Pirate World, Inverse World and Grim World are all incredibly fantastic and I'm proud to be part of these forums

I am glad you are enjoying all this so much :3:

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

TwingeCrag posted:

gnome7 posted:

Put 'em all into a .zip, and then post the .zip in MediaFire or Dropbox.

Alternatively, combine the PDFs into one document, and then post that.

Secondly, you probably shouldn't post a full PDF of The Fae in this thread, because it's being sold for money and that would be :filez:

And lastly,

I am glad you are enjoying all this so much :3:

If it's posted in just this thread and shared amongst your friends, I don't mind you adding the Fae to that bundle, if you could include a link to the DTRPG page here. All of my playbooks are released under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 licenses so it's not really :filez:

I'm also interested in seeing how it comes out in the word template.

Speaking of the DTRPG PDFs, I'm thinking of updating my existing ones to include the death Moves and maybe a spot to write the character's race for those that have backgrounds instead of racial moves. Are there any other inclusions of modifications that have appeared in later PDFs that people would like to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Okasvi posted:

I've been away from this thread for about 300 pages, what's new in the world of Dungeon World?

Also I tweaked Fortune Hunter a bit more. The biggest change is that I replaced the backgrounds with a single freeform one that should give the player more flexibility in flavoring the class and added a new weapon option. Otherwise just tweaks in the wording.

E: I also made a pdf playbook with that open office template that was posted way earlier.

E2: I'm thinking of applying a thematic rewrite to the fortune hunter. What do you think of The Misfit? The mechanics are exactly the same but I changed the flavor of the class to be a bit more encompassing.

Any comments on the changes I made to the fortune hunter or the thematic rewrite into the misfit?