Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

MrTheDevious posted:

I've taken to using Keldorn as a sacrificial dispel machine and just having Sarevok run in circles trying to appear menacing without stopping long enough to actually get hit. It's not really that big of a deal since my party still kicks rear end, but it's kinda sad watching them turn so useless after so many good times together:smith:
What difficulty are you running? Is that vanilla ToB?

Have you got Hardiness and/or Resist Magic running on them? That might help improve their survivability. Also Improved Invisibility or other buffs might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

MrTheDevious posted:

Fighters becoming mostly paper late-game: am I doing something wrong or is that just how poo poo goes? My PC F/M is still happy wading into the midst of everything since he's basically immortal at this point when fully buffed, but the rest of the fight seems to just be racing to see who gets the most Time Stops off first. My Jan, Edwin, Aerie combo are rockin the house, but Keldorn and Sarevok just get shitcanned almost immediately in every fight. They can still put out great damage, but go down like a sack of potatoes the first time something notices them. Plus divine spellcasting is slower than Christmas, so it's pretty common that the minute they pull aggro on something, even if I start channeling a Heal right then, they're going to be dead before it goes off unless they just run like hell.

I've taken to using Keldorn as a sacrificial dispel machine and just having Sarevok run in circles trying to appear menacing without stopping long enough to actually get hit. It's not really that big of a deal since my party still kicks rear end, but it's kinda sad watching them turn so useless after so many good times together:smith:

Fighters come back into their own once you get enough HLAs to have Hardiness up for every fight. 40% damage reduction is HUGE when stacked with other similar protections. They'll still get severely outclassed by dual F/M's but that's just the whole Linear Warrior, Quadratic Wizard AD&D bullshit.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
It was hardiness yeah, thanks guys. Picked it up on Keldorn and he's back to being totally fine. Dumped Sarevok though since his quest stuff is over and he's useless...turns out high level Rasaad is a nightmare. Not quite as strong as my F/M but really drat close, gives no shits about magic at all :black101:

This is all on vanilla ToB at whatever the middle setting is, Core rules I think? The one that's 1 step higher than it maxing hp rolls. It was pretty much me not realizing how useful Hardiness is

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

MrTheDevious posted:

It was hardiness yeah, thanks guys. Picked it up on Keldorn and he's back to being totally fine. Dumped Sarevok though since his quest stuff is over and he's useless...turns out high level Rasaad is a nightmare. Not quite as strong as my F/M but really drat close, gives no shits about magic at all :black101:

This is all on vanilla ToB at whatever the middle setting is, Core rules I think? The one that's 1 step higher than it maxing hp rolls. It was pretty much me not realizing how useful Hardiness is

Wait, you don't dual Seravok into a mage or thief?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MrTheDevious posted:

Sarevok is an absolute monster with the Ravager +6, he is far from useless. And Deathbringer Assault never stops being hilarious :colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sarevok is an absolute monster with the Ravager +6, he is far from useless. And Deathbringer Assault never stops being hilarious :colbert:
That silver sword with the 25% chance of an instagib is another ridiculous pairing. Sarevok's a beast

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Accretionist posted:

That silver sword with the 25% chance of an instagib is another ridiculous pairing. Sarevok's a beast
Using that sword with Greater Whirlwind Attack to get 10 chances to decapitate your target in a round should be fun.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 3, 2013

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Accretionist posted:

That's the one I've been using on him since he joined, didn' even bother with Ravager. Insta-killing feels really cheap/not fun though, and aside from that, he's just 2 bland buttons. Rasaad has a whole lot of buttons to push :smug:

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone having any issues with one of the key fights on lvl 5 of Watcher's keep, the one with all the blue dudes and the mage? I can't kill the mage at all, all my weapons are ineffective, normal or magical, so I don't think it's protection from magic weapons. The mage seems to have infinite casts of death cloud and death spell, Mass Charm, Prismatic Spray and cone of cold, as well as a nasty fire shield and mirror image. I can get all the other polearm fighters down with no issue, but this mage is bugged or something, I've dispelled/removed magic, but can't directly target as it's invisible, even after a glitterdust and the dispels. I've beat this fight plenty of times on normal runs of the vanilla TOB/BG2, but can't seem to get past it this time in BG2EE.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
First, you should be using the spell True Sight to fully dispel his improved invisibility so he can be targeted.

When you say "dispelled/removed magic," do you simply mean that you cast those two spells at him? Because those are pretty terrible at actually disabling defenses. You need to cast Breach at him to remove poo poo like stoneskin and protection from magic weapons. It's possible he is using Improved Mantle to become immune to weapons that are lower than +4 but you can just Breach that right off.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jeez, Baeloth is a monster. That last fight in Dorn's quest was giving me headaches, until I backed off a bit and just started bealing fireballs till everything but the main guy and the two demons were dead. I can't bear to do my usual routine and have him killed now.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

I just did that fight a couple hours ago and it was smooth as butter. Just hit him with a breach/spell pierce/spellstrike whatever. You can set up a trigger that hits him with 2 pierce magics and a breach, then follow it up with a spellstrike just to be sure. Go in with imp alacrity up and you can have every bit of his defense stripped in 3 seconds, then just open up a can on his rear end. If you're not using Keldorn then you'll have to stick a true sight in there somewhere, too, I guess.

Edit - above is to the watchers keep guy, not the Baeloth guy.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Captain Oblivious posted:

Not only is he far from useless but he's just an awesome character all around. I always struggle with who to give the boot to when TOB comes 'round.

I'm a huge sucker for villain-becomes-ally schticks though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

In case anyone else runs into a cripplingly frustrating bug at the end of Rasaad's ToB questline, I just spent half an hour figuring out how to fix it (spoilers obviously)

When you open the portal back out of the shadow realm, you have to run your entire party way far away from the portal, then click the portal from the next room over. Otherwise apparently it doesn't trigger Alorgoth's script fast enough and you just end up in a permanent loop. Killed that loving dragon at least 10x trying to figure out what the gently caress

Selane
May 19, 2006

ratchild13 posted:

Anyone having any issues with one of the key fights on lvl 5 of Watcher's keep, the one with all the blue dudes and the mage? I can't kill the mage at all, all my weapons are ineffective, normal or magical, so I don't think it's protection from magic weapons. The mage seems to have infinite casts of death cloud and death spell, Mass Charm, Prismatic Spray and cone of cold, as well as a nasty fire shield and mirror image. I can get all the other polearm fighters down with no issue, but this mage is bugged or something, I've dispelled/removed magic, but can't directly target as it's invisible, even after a glitterdust and the dispels. I've beat this fight plenty of times on normal runs of the vanilla TOB/BG2, but can't seem to get past it this time in BG2EE.

If you're talking about Aurumach Rilmani, he's one of the few enemies in the game that's permanently immune to everything with less than +4 enchantment.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ratchild13 posted:

Once you hit a certain point with enemy casters, they start getting buffs on top of buffs - like pogothemonkey said, breach is required to make wizards immediately vulnerable to physical damage, but a lich / most all casters in ToB (including dragons) will fire off the level 9 "spell trap" as soon as combat starts, which will eat whatever magic you throw at it, including breach spells. To get past that you need either the level 9 "spell strike" or level 8 "pierce shield". Pierce magic works for all spell protections except spell trap. So if you've got two casters in your party, have one cast pierce shield and then have the other cast breach, and the enemy will be vulnerable.

This is also the way a wizard with the Robe of Vecna (and ideally, the amulet of power) can run roughshod over the game. Cast time stop, use the refractory period to move close to your target, cast improved alacrity, fire off spell shield. Move back a few feet, cast breach and pierce magic / lower resistance if necessary, move back a few feet more and fire off every offensive spell you can manage (a few Horrid Wiltings do nicely). The only enemies who don't die instantly are the few boss-level enemies who are immune to the effects of time stop.

*e - actually yeah, that lich is 100% improved mantle. Either strip his spell protections and take him down with magic only or come back when you've got a weapon that can hit him. Weapons that do elemental damage cut through stoneskin / disrupt spellcasting and are thus ideal. Another reason why sun soul monks are as good as they are.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 3, 2013

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Once you hit a certain point with enemy casters, they start getting buffs on top of buffs - like pogothemonkey said, breach is required to make wizards immediately vulnerable to physical damage, but a lich / most all casters in ToB (including dragons) will fire off the level 9 "spell trap" as soon as combat starts, which will eat whatever magic you throw at it, including breach spells.

Nope, not unless you have mods installed. Spell trap, spell deflection and spell turning do not absorb, deflect or nullify protection strippers. Breach will happily remove protection from magical weapons and stoneskin from a mage with spell trap up. The only way to stop breach in the stock game is to be immune to spell levels 1 through 5 (like a lich is) or invisibility of some kind, forcing a true sight first.

They won't stop AoE spells that aren't directly targeted at the caster either. Spell trap is actually pretty bad for the AI. Against the AI it's good because they'll directly target you.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm sure this was mentioned a while ago but I can't find it any more - I'm going to loop BG1EE while waiting for BG2EE to be stable enough to play, so I'm planning on dual-classing my Fighter PC. What level should I do it at (I've removed the XP cap, so 13 is a viable answer if that's the best choice)?

7 gets you an extra half attack, 9 you stop gaining so much HP, 13 you gain the last extra half attack - pick one of those.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Wow who knew forcing a door open to a fortress a guy told you not to go into would skip the last 2/3 of ToB entirely and spoil the ending out of nowhere. Really wish I hadn't done that now, but goddamn how does something like that get overlooked. That just ruined the entire rest of the game's plot because I took a really obvious course of action. Can't believe more people don't bitch about that :smith:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Regarding fighters being underpowered at the end of the game - I think SCS does a really good job of making them more useful simply because your mages are going to be so busy taking down protections that you actually rely on your fighters to kill poo poo. Improved WW with a 2H weapon is pretty ridiculous also.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Piell posted:

7 gets you an extra half attack, 9 you stop gaining so much HP, 13 you gain the last extra half attack - pick one of those.

Thanks; I may as well get to 13, then.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I just grabbed IWD on GoG after finishing BG:EE. I installed the Fixpack and the Widescreen mod. However I have a nasty problem: I'm using a dual-monitor setup, with the extra monitor on the left of the main one (ie: Monitor 2 -- Monitor 1) and the mouse will "spill" over the Monitor 2 when I move it to the left edge of the Monitor 1. This happens both in full and windowed mode. It seems to be a common problem, but the suggested fix (using MouseJail as a wrapper to launch IWD) doesn't seem to be working on Windows 8.

It would be less of a problem if I could scroll the screens using the keyboard, like in BG(:EE?), but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Is there any solution to this? I didn't see that mentioned in the OP.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

Furism posted:

I just grabbed IWD on GoG after finishing BG:EE. I installed the Fixpack and the Widescreen mod. However I have a nasty problem: I'm using a dual-monitor setup, with the extra monitor on the left of the main one (ie: Monitor 2 -- Monitor 1) and the mouse will "spill" over the Monitor 2 when I move it to the left edge of the Monitor 1. This happens both in full and windowed mode. It seems to be a common problem, but the suggested fix (using MouseJail as a wrapper to launch IWD) doesn't seem to be working on Windows 8.

It would be less of a problem if I could scroll the screens using the keyboard, like in BG(:EE?), but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Is there any solution to this? I didn't see that mentioned in the OP.

It's not ideal, but I use DDMM. I just launch it before IWD/IWD2 (or while it's running if I forget). Don't know if it works in Windows 8, I run Windows 7. One thing to take care of is changing the options from "swap monitors after xxx ms at screen edge" to "swap monitors when holding ctrl".

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

Wow who knew forcing a door open to a fortress a guy told you not to go into would skip the last 2/3 of ToB entirely and spoil the ending out of nowhere. Really wish I hadn't done that now, but goddamn how does something like that get overlooked. That just ruined the entire rest of the game's plot because I took a really obvious course of action. Can't believe more people don't bitch about that :smith:

What door are you talking about? The Monk's fortress?

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the replies, I did not know about the +4 one, and thought remove/dispel magic was better than it is, and totally forgot about true sight. I'll hit that up now!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

kingcom posted:

What door are you talking about? The Monk's fortress?

Yeah, Balthazar in Amkethran's fortress. If you do, the game just assumes you've done a LOT of stuff that you haven't and dumps you right at the end of the game. By the time I figured out what was happening, it was too late and I'd spoilered the whole game :( I can't be the only person who immediately does what I'm told not to just to see what happens though...can't believe nobody else complained

vvv Yeah the 22 str belt opened it right up for me. If someone's got a non-EE version, I'd be interested to see if it's an EE bug that the original didn't have

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 3, 2013

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I don't think anyone knew you could bash that door.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks everyone for the recent Watchers Keep tips, I just beat Demogorgon and I'm pretty pleased with myself tbh.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Suspicious posted:

I don't think anyone knew you could bash that door.

I'm pretty it's either an EE bug or introduced by a mod or something. There's no way something like that could've escaped noticed for, what, 12 years? holy poo poo has it really been that long where did my life go

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure that must be an EE bug, but hey congrats on reaching endgame.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah you definitely can't normally open that door ahead of schedule.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Well guess I'll go report that as a bug, too. They should be paying me to QA this poo poo at this point :v: Rasaad's ToB line is broken in so many places I doubt anyone even tested it.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I waited until this month to buy BG1:EE, I hate to say it but I feel like I'm going to wait at least 6 months before I buy BG2:EE because they do an awful job bugtesting these.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

It's just ToB that's riddled with bugs really. I did everything possible in SoA and never really had any issues at all, but ToB's just one huge bug. I stopped doing the new NPC ToB quests entirely after Rasaad's trapped me in the shadowplane permanently :downs:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just finished my run of BG2 with a solo ironman wizard slayer and I need a break before doing ToB, so I purchased BG1:EE at last.

I've not played it before, so, can I get advice for a good/neutral party composition?I guess I'm too lazy to figure it out the good ol' way (dying a lot).

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
The game bugged out during Dorn's 3rd quest (getting his sick weapon) in SoA and I never met the chief dryad of the woods and the druid in the big tree was just lying face down and giving generic druid responses. Had to console out of that area after killing Valygar because his voice actor is loving terrible.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

It's just ToB that's riddled with bugs really. I did everything possible in SoA and never really had any issues at all, but ToB's just one huge bug. I stopped doing the new NPC ToB quests entirely after Rasaad's trapped me in the shadowplane permanently :downs:

I still have no idea how to trigger Hexxat's ToB NPC quest so yeah I can argee that it seems minimal testing was done for ToB.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I thought of doing an Ironman Jester and a solo Ranger/Cleric multi but decided I had it backwards. I'm now strolling around the Sword Coast confusing things for shits and giggles. I had a look at Rogue Rebalancing but decided against it. I don't really find Confusion to be overpowered - as it only lasts for 1 round you can hardly rely on it in a fight.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

kingcom posted:

I still have no idea how to trigger Hexxat's ToB NPC quest so yeah I can argee that it seems minimal testing was done for ToB.

You start Hexxat's at the inn in Amkethran but I have no idea how it works from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

You start Hexxat's at the inn in Amkethran but I have no idea how it works from there.

Yeah I've gotten the quest but I don't know how to teleport to the crypt or whatever.