Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Strudel Man posted:

What, the one linked right there? Unless I've missed something, it's entirely about a method for interpolating data to fill in the gaps in the weather station network.

quote:

The trend of 0.12 °C is at first surprising, because one would have perhaps expected that the trend after gap filling has a value close to the GISS data, i.e. 0.08 °C per decade. Cowtan and Way also investigated that difference. It is due to the fact that NASA has not yet implemented an improvement of sea surface temperature data which was introduced last year in the HadCRUT data (that was the transition from the HadSST2 the HadSST3 data – the details can be found e.g. here and here).

I looked at the methods in the paper and I don't understand them, but there appears to be more going on than just filling in geographical coverage gaps, they're using different datasets from those used to construct the original estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Paper Mac posted:

I looked at the methods in the paper and I don't understand them, but there appears to be more going on than just filling in geographical coverage gaps, they're using different datasets from those used to construct the original estimate.
I think you may be misinterpreting. They're attempting to fill in the missing spots in the HadCRUT4 ground temperature data, but they're otherwise using HadCRUT methodology, as distinct from the GISS methodology. The part you're quoting is saying that they expected the results to be close to the GISS results, but it ended up being even higher, because of a refinement that HadCRUT has and GISS does not have.

I don't understand the methods used in any real detail either, but it seems to be saying pretty straightforwardly that they're filling in the gaps in an otherwise conventional HadCRUT record. The result just has some rather extreme implications as to the content of those gaps.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 14, 2013

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Yeah, sorry, you're quite right. Their numbers for the Arctic are pretty alarming, then.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Paper Mac posted:

Yeah, sorry, you're quite right. Their numbers for the Arctic are pretty alarming, then.

If the Arctic is warming that much faster than previously thought, I wonder if that's the explanation for the unexpected rates of ice melt there?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Paper Mac posted:

This is as close as it gets to "gently caress you, idiots" in the pages of a Nature journal..

I'm sure the editors had a good laugh letting that wording through proofing!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

this allusion meant posted:

Late Victorian Holocausts is a really useful book for informing how we think about climate impacts in a lot of ways. A familiarity with the history of what happened the last time most of the world was 1) controlled by an empire that opened the markets of subject nations, and 2) was beset by extreme droughts and subsequent crop failures, is pretty much indispensable for approaching the question of how those circumstances might play out in the future. The discussion of the role of ideology in the British Raj is particularly helpful, I feel, in establishing some starting points for discussing the role of modern market fundamentalism in interpreting the significance of the agricultural consequences of climatic disturbance and in producing the social consequences thereof. Some points in the book that are especially pertinent in my mind include the effect of market pressures and policies in reducing the resilience that previous social systems had developed, the destruction of the remaining ability of the environment to provide for human needs by the acts of desperate farmers made unable to survive sustainably, and the tendency for marginalization and hunger in ordinary times to pass by with relatively little notice, but to produce extraordinary catastrophe in times of unusual stress, which are inevitable in the variability of natural systems. For the history enthusiasts, the book provides a very good account of how these events decisively sealed the victory of Europe over Asia when the latter had long had the "advantage" by several metrics. It did take me a really long time to get through the section that just talks about the ENSO phenomenon. There's only a single paragraph talking about speculative effects that global warming might have on the ENSO cycle, but in conjunction with the rest of the book, what is predicted about the range of climate variability as warming continues, and what most of us might know about the discussed countries today (such as their medium-term water usage sustainability issues), it is rather concerning.

I've been itching to do an effortpost on this for quite some time, and you finally pushed me over the top. Writing that up now, should appear as a thread sometime next week. I think it's worth a wider audience if only because of the historical study which is fascinating in its own right.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Maybe not surprising, but despicable nonetheless: the US's policy at COP19 is to oppose any efforts by developing nations to seek compensation or redress from Annex I for climate change damages.

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 28, 2013

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 28, 2013

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I hope SkS or DeSmogBlog or somebody picks up on a pretty icky trick this week by Heartland. There's a couple articles making the rounds on conservative sites concerning a recent survey of AMS (American Meteorological Society) members regarding their position on global warming. I'm not clear on all the details, but the study was done between the AMS and George Mason University's Center for Climate Change Communication. Heartland was involved somehow (presumably through the CFCCC) and sent out a summary that wasn't approved by the authors on the AMS side, made the thing look like it came from the AMS, and used their logo without permission. http://blog.ametsoc.org/uncategorized/going-to-the-source-for-accurate-information/

quote:

A disturbing aspect of this e-mail is that it seems some effort was placed in making it appear to have been sent by AMS. It was sent from an e-mail account with AMS in the name (though not from the “ametsoc.org” domain) and featured the AMS logo prominently (used without permission from AMS). Only in the fine print at the bottom was it clear that this apparently came from the Heartland Institute. The text of the e-mail reports results from the study far differently than I would, leaving an impression that is at odds with how I would characterize those results.

The article is up on Daily Caller as "Poll: Nearly half of meteorologists don’t believe in man-made global warming, which is an awfully creative conclusion given that the survey actually found a 93% consensus among climate scientists specifically on AGW. I'd love to see them catch a little flak for this, but I guess the damage is done.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
They meant non-publishing meterologists and atmospheric scientists at 65 and 59 percent.

quote:

327 Climate science experts who publish mostly on climate change, and climate scientists
328 who publish mostly on other topics, were the two groups most likely to be convinced that
329 humans have contributed to global warming, with 93% of each group indicating their
330 concurrence. The two groups least likely to be convinced of this were the non-publishing
331 climate scientists and non-publishing meteorologists/atmospheric scientists, at 65% and 59%,
332 respectively. In the middle were the two groups of publishing meteorologists/atmospheric
333 scientists at 79% and 78%, respectively.
Although this is what I'd harp on if I were trying to be anti-AGW:

quote:

345 In terms of strength of the relationship between the independent and dependent variables,
346 perceived consensus was the strongest predictor of all three types of global warming views –
347 certainty, causation, and harm/benefit. Political ideology was the second strongest predictor of
348 view certainty and causation, and was equivalent to perceived consensus as predictor of
349 harm/benefit. Expertise and perceived conflict were both less strong predictors of global
350 warming views. Expertise was the second weakest predictor of global warming certainty, and the
351 weakest predictor of causation and harm/benefit. Perceived conflict was the weakest predictor of
352 global warming view certainty, and the second weakest predictor of causation and harm/benefit.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TehSaurus posted:

I'm having trouble reconciling some of the things that Klein is talking about in that excerpt with some of my preexisting knowledge. Specifically the incompatibility of GDP growth with climate mitigation. What about the Zero Carbon Australia plan? http://bze.org.au/zero-carbon-australia-2020 That's a ten year plan I believe, so you should be able to figure a 10 percent per year reduction in emissions. That plan also seems to promote GDP growth to me rather than hinder it.

The questions I'm left with are is the BZE plan for Australia incompatible with capitalism because:
1.) The energy expended to implement the plan would offset the gains in the short term, violating our carbon budget, and/or
2.) The current capitalist system would never accept this plan because entrenched interests will prevent it?

http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/08/12/zca2020-critique/
http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/09/09/trainer-zca-2020-critique/

The zero carbon plan relies on a number of rather heroic assumptions being correct, which I think makes it less than realistic.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone posted:

I've been itching to do an effortpost on this for quite some time, and you finally pushed me over the top. Writing that up now, should appear as a thread sometime next week. I think it's worth a wider audience if only because of the historical study which is fascinating in its own right.

Just started this thread as promised. Hoping to pull in some comments from the folks in here, especially if you've read the book and have something to contribute.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

mdemone posted:

Just started this thread as promised. Hoping to pull in some comments from the folks in here, especially if you've read the book and have something to contribute.

Cool thread! I don't have much to contribute other than that book is depressing (and interesting) as hell.

Bjorn Lomberg had a pretty interesting Op-Ed in the NYT today. Can't say there's much there I disagree with, unlike most of his stuff.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

blowfish posted:

http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/08/12/zca2020-critique/
http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/09/09/trainer-zca-2020-critique/

The zero carbon plan relies on a number of rather heroic assumptions being correct, which I think makes it less than realistic.

That provides a really excellent critique, thank you. I suspected the BZE plan might be too good to be true, but it did seem like a really thorough study. Still, if you can transition to a renewable energy economy for $2,600 per household per year, that's at least attainable. Claiming that it does not amount to a financial barrier, as the BZE Plan does, is unreasonable, though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The New Black posted:

If the Arctic is warming that much faster than previously thought, I wonder if that's the explanation for the unexpected rates of ice melt there?

Wasn't there talk of the effect of going from high-reflectivity ice to high-absorption seawater helping to push Arctic warming trends out towards the margins? I imagine that would just accelerate over time since heating melts ice.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

So, this just happened on The Guardian

UN's 2C target will fail to avoid a climate disaster, scientists warn.

The paper itself can be found here and there was no paywall in place when I viewed it.

It's James Hansen's paper, so it's naturally painting some pretty dire pictures, but I don't feel that papers like this are terribly helpful. By saying we're already screwed, he's unintentionally encouraging us to give up.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

satan!!! posted:

Cool thread! I don't have much to contribute other than that book is depressing (and interesting) as hell.

Bjorn Lomberg had a pretty interesting Op-Ed in the NYT today. Can't say there's much there I disagree with, unlike most of his stuff.

quote:

The developed world needs a smarter approach toward cleaner fuels. The United States has been showing the way. Hydraulic fracturing has produced an abundance of inexpensive natural gas, leading to a shift away from coal in electricity production. Because burning natural gas emits half the carbon dioxide of coal, this technology has helped the United States reduce carbon dioxide emissions to the lowest level since the mid-1990s, even as emissions rise globally. We need to export this technology and help other nations exploit it.
Smarter and cleaner are not ways to describe fracking.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Smarter and cleaner are not ways to describe fracking.

Maybe if the scale goes from "bad idea" to "really loving bad idea".

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Inglonias posted:

So, this just happened on The Guardian

UN's 2C target will fail to avoid a climate disaster, scientists warn.

The paper itself can be found here and there was no paywall in place when I viewed it.

It's James Hansen's paper, so it's naturally painting some pretty dire pictures, but I don't feel that papers like this are terribly helpful. By saying we're already screwed, he's unintentionally encouraging us to give up.
This paper seems to be a re-hash of what Hansen has been saying all along-2C is a tipping point, and 1.5C may be as well, so 1C has to be the limit to avoid feedback mechanisms. As we're already seeing with hurricanes, droughts, bushfires, amphibian mass extinction, and sinking islands and cities like the Maldives and Venice, 1C will still be pretty disastrous.
2C is established as being a tipping point, so the UN is gambling with 2C and they know it.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Inglonias posted:

I don't feel that papers like this are terribly helpful. By saying we're already screwed, he's unintentionally encouraging us to give up.

The problem I have with this is that "we're already screwed" is just a fact at this point. Why encourage people to live in denial? If we're willing to admit to ourselves that it is impossible to avert disaster, we can better focus on preparing for and mitigating the disaster rather than waste our time on dead ends and wishful thinking.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

The problem I have with this is that "we're already screwed" is just a fact at this point. Why encourage people to live in denial? If we're willing to admit to ourselves that it is impossible to avert disaster, we can better focus on preparing for and mitigating the disaster rather than waste our time on dead ends and wishful thinking.
For example, refering to Inglonias, even if we stopped all emissions tomorrow, the oceans would still undergo thermal expansion and continue to rise for centuries. The question of reducing emissions now is not "how do we avoid irreversible catastrophe" but "how do we avoid much worse".

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

You're right. I just wish I could share your optimism. There's a reason I keep this post bookmarked.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"It's impossible to <totally avoid this negative consequence> so why even talk about making laws to address <actions>?"

Maybe some parts of the world will make an attempt, but America will get mad at the fact that we have to so much as turn the music down half a notch at our party, and spitefully engage in sabotage to show how lame and tyrannical it is to give a poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Because this part is false.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Denial is poo poo.

Well its a hard one. Part of the reason my sister stopped working in climate science , other than the harrassment her department was getting from the Howard Government who really wanted climate scientists to stop talking about warming, was that all her collegues where pretty much struggling to get results other than "We are completely and utterly hosed" , but where institutionally unable to express that view.

But we gotta do something

quote:

Because this part is false.

The picture might not be as rosy as we have been led to believe, I'm afraid. Its not about averting disaster anymore, its about limiting it.

Personally I like to think the first step would be dragging denialist politicians and think tank hacks to the hague for a Nuremburg type outcome, for all the future misery their actions have caused, but I guess that options not on the table!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

duck monster posted:

The picture might not be as rosy as we have been led to believe, I'm afraid. Its not about averting disaster anymore, its about limiting it.

Personally I like to think the first step would be dragging denialist politicians and think tank hacks to the hague for a Nuremburg type outcome, for all the future misery their actions have caused, but I guess that options not on the table!

I don't think he was saying that you were wrong about the climate outcome. Rather that wide acceptance of the already guaranteed outcome causing society to more effectively focus on creating solutions is no certainty.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TehSaurus posted:

I don't think he was saying that you were wrong about the climate outcome. Rather that wide acceptance of the already guaranteed outcome causing society to more effectively focus on creating solutions is no certainty.

Exactly. If you frame it as "well there's nothing we can do to stop [bad thing], but maybe if we work together we can stop [worse thing]", people will tune out after "we can't stop [bad thing]".

If you want to make people enthusiastic, you need to frame it as "If we don't change something now then [worse thing] will happen", and omit that [bad thing] is already going to happen.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It seems absurd to me when liberals or other "progressive" types use the criticism that some climate activism isn't "realistic," because realistically we aren't going to do anything. There is no realistic climate mitigation plan. Our objective must be to make what seems implausible today possible tomorrow. Nobody ever said it would be easy.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Inglonias posted:

Incidentally, PLOS should never have a paywall, because they're the Public Library of Science. It's one of the many nice things about publishing in PLOS- the people who paid for the research actually get to read it.

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

Indeed, lets not set ourselves a difficult goal and instead set ourselves an impossible goal. What a great idea.

Didn't you say something about going to protest the Keystone pipeline a year ago? You even said you thought it was the most effective bit of volunteering you could do at that moment. Well, that seems like a preventative strategy to me, precisely something focused on "averting disaster" rather than anything else. So clearly in your actions at the time, you were more willing to "waste your time" with such things.

And just to establish further clarity - what do you mean by "disaster"? You see, by one understanding we're already experiencing a disaster so it's kind of pointless to talk about averting it. Or do you think like you used to that disaster is the whole billions of people die&civilization collapses thing? If that's the disaster we're supposed to be "preparing for", care to explain what methods exactly we should be focusing on?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Misery time with Mr Duck!

Read this!

http://guymcpherson.com/2013/12/a-letter-to-a-friend-who-condemned-me-as-a-hopeless-doomer-2/

quote:

But it takes courage to admit that death is imminent. It takes courage to realize there will be no one to remember us, or Beethoven, or Charlotte Perkins Gilman, or Debussy, or Van Gogh, or Isadora Duncan, or Billie Holiday, or Vonnegut, or anybody else. There will be no legacies any more, no memories, no legends, no dirges to mourn us. The finality of it will be eternal. But it will not be the first time a species went extinct. Every day 200 species go extinct. Our number is coming up soon. It takes courage to admit that, and blind faith to ignore it and go on with business as usual.

Dusz
Mar 5, 2005

SORE IN THE ASS that it even exists!

quote:

But it takes courage to admit that death is imminent.

Not much courage in it, really. It takes courage to face reality but it also takes courage to have hope. Everybody can be a cynic. In fact, it's one of the most convenient things to be if you are trying to justify doing as little as possible.

Dusz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 9, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Slightly off-topic, but this is the closest thing we have to an environmental thread.

quote:

It was one of the world's most destructive environmental disasters in human history: in April 2010 an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil drilling rig killed 11 men and sent 210m gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, causing a black tide covering 68,000 square miles of ocean and spreading along 16,000 miles of coastline. Spill is the first book from photographer Daniel Beltrá, who documented the spill from a Cessna floatplane, 3,000ft above the Louisiana coastline. It includes 27 of his award-winning aerial photographs that have gone on show around the world, and an essay by Barbara Bloemink that gives context to Spill as an artistic response to the environment and nature

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2013/dec/09/spill-daniel-beltra-in-pictures

More at the link. Some nice photography there.

tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

So...we're dead by 2030?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQuv8fETfME

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I have no idea, I've just been having fun making people miserable with that essay on facebook, because I'm bit of a dick sometimes. v:shobon:v

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

So, is this guy off the rocker? I mean it's easy to ignore his articles because they contain way too much conspiracy speak in between the citations, but if he doesn't misrepresent the articles the situation seems to be worse than I (your average concerned goon next door) personally thought.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Grim Up North posted:

So, is this guy off the rocker? I mean it's easy to ignore his articles because they contain way too much conspiracy speak in between the citations, but if he doesn't misrepresent the articles the situation seems to be worse than I (your average concerned goon next door) personally thought.

I have no idea. He's got a pretty serious academic history

But I can't help thinking at some point he did the maths and kind of snapped.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The comments, at the least, are total end-is-nigh placard-wearing folks, talking about how at least the end of the world will let them quit their lovely jobs that they hate. The audience of the writer certainly seems more than a little unhinged.

I mean the author is generally correct, but its not like its gonna be in the next couple decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

gently caress that guy.

If I got a cancer diagnosis and was told that even with the best treatment I would have maybe a 1% chance of surviving, I would still not throw up my arms and moan "Oh it's hopeless!". Even if the treatment was debilitating, expensive, and exhausting I would still do it. I feel the same way about climate change.

Why? Because this is the only life we have and the only planet we have. It would be an enormous "gently caress You" to the billions before and after us if we just hid under the couch mewling pathetically when the tools to save our asses are right loving here.

• Locked thread