Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm a big fan of Chartreuse Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Don't forget about Beige Squad, Taupe Squad, and White Squad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Everyone gets a little uncomfortable when WHITE SQUAD WHITE SQUAD WHITE SQUAD starts chanting

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mauve Squad for life

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
So what do you guys think the ugliest Trek ship is? I vote the Yeager Class, just look at this piece of poo poo:

I'm surprised the higher ups in the studio didn't laugh so hard they cried looking at it saying "What the gently caress is that?"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Federation Turd of Prey

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

rocket_man38 posted:

So what do you guys think the ugliest Trek ship is? I vote the Yeager Class, just look at this piece of poo poo:

I'm surprised the higher ups in the studio didn't laugh so hard they cried looking at it saying "What the gently caress is that?"

Nice patriotic color scheme...

Not wanting to go into the stranger ones like the Steamrunner, my person least-favorite is the Ambassador Class.

Somehow it takes the majestic-looking Galaxy class lines and... fails.

If the Enterprise-D was a swan, this thing is a goose.

It's hard to explain what it is that gets to me about this. Maybe it's because the saucer is too blunt, and it feels like a solid slab of marble. Maybe it's the cartoonish nacelles. Maybe it's the deflector dish that looks a bit too much like a backlit plastic lid. It's just so cheesy, and yet eerily close to the Galaxy class which, personally, I love.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Brawnfire posted:

But there's also a civilian populace on Earth... and that includes all the weirdos and pervs and creeps that Second Life attracts.

Do average people on Earth have access to holograms? Are there weird anime-style furry avatars superimposed over people? Are there stupid animal "familiars" floating about their shoulders, like a pegasus or a black cat with batwings? Are there any decency laws or is it considered part of the famous Federation tolerance of cultural difference to have people spamming holographic dicks on a public street? Is there a brony of the future? Does it ever get better?

I mean, I can seriously imagine some doofus in that idiotic Trek-style civilian clothing, waddling along Archer Street, thinking he's hot poo poo because he's got his sexy anime-style Vulcan/Japanese hologirlfriend next to him, programmed to be constantly and overtly in pon farr. She kisses him deeply, the magnetic fields aligning to exert pressure on the molecules of his lips and tongue. He squeezes a collection of programmed electromagnetic resistance points, a simulacrum of tender flesh. He is smugly confident in his eternal satisfaction, and yet even his twisted-up heartmind feels the insufficiency of it all and it tickles the back of his arousal with the first bile-frosted hints of nausea.

gently caress that poo poo.
I can only imagine that getting the gently caress away from this is one of Starfleet's main benefits.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

rocket_man38 posted:

..Is that a kitbash of an Intrepid, a BoP, a Danube, and a Transformers toy?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I love how the line of the neck continues with the deflector dish. I agree that the pylons are a weak point, though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's sort of the point, though. The Ambassador is the predecessor class to the Galaxy, and it has a lot of callbacks to Excelsior as part of the continuum of ship design. It looks a bit doofy because it is stuck between two nice-looking ships with very different personalities.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hailthefish posted:

..Is that a kitbash of an Intrepid, a BoP, a Danube, and a Transformers toy?

Oh my GOD those ARE Starscream's legs HOLY poo poo!

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

They used a Maquis raider model for it... because that makes..sense?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

rocket_man38 posted:

They used a Maquis raider model for it... because that makes..sense?

This design would make more sense if it were the USS Voyager, a "real-life" kitbash of Starfleet and Maquis technology necessitated by the damage each ship sustained while fighting the Kazon. Naturally.

Sash! posted:

I hope future Avatars spend more time on Earth. Seeing Charlotte as overbuilt as Hong Kong was pretty awesome in a way.

Where was this? edit: like, what depiction of Charlotte are you referring to? I can't recall.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Ambassador is beautiful. Instead i think the galaxy is to elliptal and curvy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's sort of the point, though. The Ambassador is the predecessor class to the Galaxy, and it has a lot of callbacks to Excelsior as part of the continuum of ship design. It looks a bit doofy because it is stuck between two nice-looking ships with very different personalities.

Then, unfortunately, I believe it suffers from being a transitional design. I can see echoes but it lacks a certain edge of its own... something that says "ambassador class." Just one man's masturbatory fictional starship opinion.

SombreroAgnew posted:

I can only imagine that getting the gently caress away from this is one of Starfleet's main benefits.

The problem is, you can't get away from it. You're just trying to catch up with a friend from back in Starfleet with a quick holochat, and the game invites keep pouring in. Everyone on the Federation social networks and their pet targ seem to want you to play Dilithium Miner, or download such-and-such HoloPet to scurry around your holosuite. Plus your sister keeps deluging you with holovids of her kid in the sonic bath. And every time a message pops up, your game automatically ALT+TABs and you are greeted with an invitation to play Andorian Ice Bloxx with Harry Kim.

vuk83 posted:

Ambassador is beautiful. Instead i think the galaxy is to elliptal and curvy.

Ookay... when you say that to me... it makes me feel like... pinching you in the EYE

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 3, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I too like the Ambassador. In particular I prefer the rounded secondary hull to the squat oval one on the Galaxy. Also, I never much liked the rings in the Galaxy's deflector dish. The Ambassador's looks much better to my eye.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My runner up would be the Oberth class. Or this abortion:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
My fave

My least fave

Runner-up fave

(seriously it looks like it would be so fun to fly! zoom zoom!)

edit: hey we both hate the Freedom class!

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 3, 2013

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

edit: hey we both hate the Freedom class!

It's the laziest kitbash of all time.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Two nacelles or go home.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

vuk83 posted:

Two nacelles or go home.

Still my favorite ship:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I always thought that the Nebula class was just a Galaxy-class-sized Miranda. Big, fat, squat, and ungraceful, overstuffed due to its size and gauche in its exaggeration of all the aspects that made the Miranda-class sturdy and comfortable. Literally the House Hufflepuff of Federation starships.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Oh god shipchat again

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Still my favorite ship:

I didn't like the extra pew pew phasers on the side of the bridge, or that super phaser under the saucer section. What the hell are the phaser arrays used for then? That being said, I like the idea of an upgraded Enterprise D. I mean the E is cool and all, but if the series ended there it would have been perfect.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nero's Matrix Squid Robot Ship is the ugliest Trek ship. Spock's tiny speedster was pretty great though.

The Breen Battle Cruiser is the best looking ship.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I actually really like this Voyager concept.

A lot better than flappy nacelles anyways.

And of course:

:fap:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Brawnfire posted:

Still my favorite ship:

My complaint with the upgraded -D is that the frikkin' impulse engines are venting their exhaust straight into the pylon for the dorsal nacelle! That can't be healthy in the long run!

I like her fine otherwise.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The downward facing nacelles gives is a much smaller feel, like it's just a few steps bigger than a runabout. They're set way too far on the pylons, though, and the perpendicular connection looks icky.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Where was this? edit: like, what depiction of Charlotte are you referring to? I can't recall.

The Extended Collectors Edition has a couple scenes on Earth that didn't make it into the theater and, for whatever reason, we get to learn that Jake lives in Charlotte, that coffee is like $13 a cup, and America gave up and watches soccer in bars now.

Also, there's a huge LED billboard (like in Times Square) for something called "Simusex" so obviously we know what that is

Sash! fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 3, 2013

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

SouthLAnd posted:

I actually really like this Voyager concept.

A lot better than flappy nacelles anyways.

And of course:

:fap:

Voyager could've been a lot worse. It could've had totally awesome fins!

http://fsd.trekships.org/art/voyager1.html

STO has given us some terrible ship designs. Behold the Jupiter class Dreadnought.

And some more monstrosities:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, those are STO ships that have been deliberately put together hideously. And even they admit the old stuff is lacking and was very rushed.

Still let's just not talk about the Jupiter Class.

Brawnfire posted:

Then, unfortunately, I believe it suffers from being a transitional design. I can see echoes but it lacks a certain edge of its own... something that says "ambassador class." Just one man's masturbatory fictional starship opinion.

Probert originally had a different transitional design, but it was impossible to build in the timeframe. Someone's made renders of it:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

LeafyOrb posted:

So I've been playing FTL recently and it made me realize how much I desperately want a larger scale Star Trek themed version of that game with sims-like life simulation. It'd be hard to figure out how the multiple decks thing would work, but it'd be great.

This is what Star Command was supposed to be before it ran into funding issues. A game about travelling to the stars, exploring, allowing players to find diplomatic solutions, running into weird alien poo poo, etc.

I've got it on my phone. Right now it's just an okay ship to ship battlegame, but the makers are hoping to take the game back to its original concept by the time it gets a PC release. Aside, I'm a huge fan of the ships designs.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sash! posted:

The Extended Collectors Edition has a couple scenes on Earth that didn't make it into the theater and, for whatever reason, we get to learn that Jake lives in Charlotte, that coffee is like $13 a cup, and America gave up and watches soccer in bars now.

Also, there's a huge LED billboard (like in Times Square) for something called "Simusex" so obviously we know what that is

What extended collector's edition? I can't seem to find it in the thread.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sash! posted:

America gave up and watches soccer in bars now.

Truly the most dystopian of futures.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

M_Sinistrari posted:

What extended collector's edition? I can't seem to find it in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-lgI9YiNY

And it sounds like this is it on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Disc-Ex...avatar+extended

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I never really liked the Wells class.

It's not so much that that it looks bad, it just doesn't look like anything else. It looks like it should be some alien of the week's ship rather than a future federation ship. For all the complaints about the Enterprise-J it at least has the saucer section and nacelles that make it recognisable as an Enterprise/Federation ship.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

I never really liked the Wells class.

It's not so much that that it looks bad, it just doesn't look like anything else. It looks like it should be some alien of the week's ship rather than a future federation ship. For all the complaints about the Enterprise-J it at least has the saucer section and nacelles that make it recognisable as an Enterprise/Federation ship.

Yeah, I'm with you, it should've had some Federation flair to it.

STO introduced a Klingon timeship contemporary to the Wells class that I actually quite liked:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

1st AD posted:

Oh yeah don't get me started; she started off with a very harsh look and each year they made her more and more feminine until in season 7 she's got long-ish hair and a Bajoran catsuit.

I know this is post necromancy but Kira's hair in the pilot is longer than her hair in season 7. This is just factually wrong. The "catsuit" is just her season 1 uniform with the lower tunic sorta thing front extension removed. And for most of season 7 she wears a Starfleet command uniform which is the standard jacket over turtleneck deal.

Nana Visitor was actually close to her shortest hair over the run of the show (only surpassed in shortness by the season 2 "bulldyke" cut) when she first played Intendent Kira in Season 5. :can:

Why complain about her uniform when they put her in an evening dress plenty of times anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

Truly the most dystopian of futures.

Must be messed up. The World Series would have like.. the countries of the world in it.

• Locked thread