Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Fruit Chewy posted:

As a new player who just looked up what 'zorencoptering' is, is there a good reason I shouldn't craft some zorens just for giggles?

Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Currently attempting to do so, struggling to get the morphics since I don't have access to mars yet and Vor isn't coughing them up.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 3, 2013

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Chomp8645 posted:

If a game is charging money and openly playable by the public it is reviewable. The "but it's a beta!" defense is way beyond tired and should never be accepted if the previous two conditions have been met.

Warframe is not in beta at this point. It is a released game no matter what anyone says. Slapping a "beta" tag on a game just because it doesn't have all the features you want to put into it yet is ridiculous because you'll be "adding features" until the end of time. Many games today, especially F2P ones, never reach a state of completion and are continually under development for their entire life cycle.

I think that review was too harsh and demonstrated a lack of understanding of core game mechanics like the mod system, but this post is exactly right. I'm a founder and I've paid in some more cash above and beyond my founder status when steam packs go on really good sales, and I still think Warframe in its current state should be subject to review; they've closed down the "founder" program and have been taking money for closing in on a year now.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Can anyone tell what warframe the pink dude is using in this lovely PS4 screenshot? He was shooting out pink particles that one shot entire rooms and wrecked an alert in about 5 minutes allowing me to get a complementary energy syphon.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fruit Chewy posted:

Can anyone tell what warframe the pink dude is using in this lovely PS4 screenshot? He was shooting out pink particles that one shot entire rooms and wrecked an alert in about 5 minutes allowing me to get a complementary energy syphon.

Looks like a Nova to me. The pink particles were probably Nova's 1 ability, null star.

vvvv Yeah. Nova is from Europa which is reasonably high level and takes a bit to get to as I recall.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 3, 2013

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm guessing that's pretty thoroughly not available to me this early in the game without dropping piles of platinum?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'm guessing that's pretty thoroughly not available to me this early in the game without dropping piles of platinum?

You could message one of us to run you through it probably.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Wheeee posted:

I have to say, getting four revives per day in a game where going down costs you everything you've picked up and where you rely on the idiots you're matched with to help out is a pretty poo poo mechanic. Losing out on further drops/completion bonuses should more than suffice when you forfeit.
Four revives per day, per frame. Switch to another frame, get 4 more revives! Granted, this doesn't help much when you're starting off and actually dying with some frequency while only having one or two frames.

Really though, you're generally only out a max of what, 15 minutes of time? Unless you're running high wave defense/long survival with pubbies, in which case I'd ask what would make you hate yourself so much that you'd do that.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Helter Skelter posted:

Four revives per day, per frame. Switch to another frame, get 4 more revives! Granted, this doesn't help much when you're starting off and actually dying with some frequency while only having one or two frames.

Really though, you're generally only out a max of what, 15 minutes of time? Unless you're running high wave defense/long survival with pubbies, in which case I'd ask what would make you hate yourself so much that you'd do that.

And if you are running highwave/long survivals you are probably geared enough to solo them anyway. The revive limit is only annoying very early on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I only ever ran out of revives once and that was the day I ran Ruk like 20 times trying to get a drat ember systems, because Ruk put bullet attractor on people back then so terrible pubbies would kill themselves, and then kill you while you were trying to revive them because bullet attractor got put on you next. :downs:

You would have to play the game for hours and hours a day to run out of revives unless you only have one character and ran up against a level you really weren't prepared for. Just don't play solo, and if you and your teammates aren't terrible then you'll probably only have to spend a revive for one out of every ten times you fall over.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lawlicaust posted:

And if you are running highwave/long survivals you are probably geared enough to solo them anyway. The revive limit is only annoying very early on.

That's where I'm at. I picked the lovely Excalibur frame after reading the OP and it's got the most boring goddamn skills and I'm like four planets away from getting the final piece to build a new warframe.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

You would have to play the game for hours and hours a day to run out of revives unless you only have one character and ran up against a level you really weren't prepared for. Just don't play solo, and if you and your teammates aren't terrible then you'll probably only have to spend a revive for one out of every ten times you fall over.

They were terrible and I am terrible and I kept going because it was the first time in ten Jupiter missions that a goddamned Neural Sensor actually dropped and I didn't want to lose it.

This game is awful on so many levels, yet I keep logging in.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Wheeee posted:

This game is awful on so many levels, yet I keep logging in.

Welcome to Warframe :smith:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Wheeee posted:

That's where I'm at. I picked the lovely Excalibur frame after reading the OP and it's got the most boring goddamn skills and I'm like four planets away from getting the final piece to build a new frame.

Eccalibur isn't that bad. Always be slashdashing. And build kunai asap.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Excalibur is one of the most solid warframes in the game. Sure, it may not be Nova-levels of killy, but it's still a solid pick.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Slot and max slash dash. Never not slash dash. The other skills are definitely questionable, though super jump is definitely fun when maxed.

Is that second frame you are after a rhino? Because it should be!

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mindblast posted:

Is that second frame you are after a rhino? Because it should be!

This is what I'm doing. It's frustrating though that something you get on Venus can't be built until you have half the solar system unlocked. gently caress, you can't even build the Seer pistol that you got on loving Mercury until you can get your hands on an Orokin Cell, which drops in loving Saturn, which is 3 planets away. They really should give you something to build other than the Cronus while you're ranking up. Hell, they should tell you that, "Hey, you got something you can build from killing Vor! Let's walk though the crafting system real quick!" once you get the Cronus blueprint.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Vauban Chassis Alert is up for the next 15 or so minutes anyone who is currently up

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

QuantaStarFire posted:

This is what I'm doing. It's frustrating though that something you get on Venus can't be built until you have half the solar system unlocked. gently caress, you can't even build the Seer pistol that you got on loving Mercury until you can get your hands on an Orokin Cell, which drops in loving Saturn, which is 3 planets away. They really should give you something to build other than the Cronus while you're ranking up. Hell, they should tell you that, "Hey, you got something you can build from killing Vor! Let's walk though the crafting system real quick!" once you get the Cronus blueprint.

I can understand your frustration and while I can not justify why it is like that I can tell you two ways to deal with it: first of all, some goons may be sitting on more cells and control modules than they know what to do with so you may be able to get a few of those to ease farming up the other materials.

The second bit is the way you look at it, if possible. I was in the same boat, picked excal and then wanted rhino, so I took notice of all the places to go to get the materials and realised hey, I need to go there anyway! I was bound to pass through for the sake of clearing the map and increasing the odds of alerts falling on area's I have access to.

And here is a farm question for Flow and Streamline: if I look at where both of these could/should drop, my earliest chance would be the very first grineer survival mission right? That way you have mob drop chances for both cards and you may get Flow once you pass 15-20 minutes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Vauban Chassis Alert is up for the next 15 or so minutes anyone who is currently up

Dear DE: please stop doing Vauban chassis and helmet alerts during the day, and the systems alerts when I'm not available. I've had chassis and helmet for two months now, systems is the one I need. :argh:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oops, had two tabs open. Sadly Tenno cannot bite Grineer eyelids off and then beat them to death with their severed limbs.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 3, 2013

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

amuayse posted:

Furnace operators live in 1x1 coffin apartments (usually recently reassigned cheesemakers). Miners have a 3x3 room with bed, cabinet, and chest. Metal workers of any kind have a 5x5 room with engravings, a statue, and a private dining room.

Confirmed: Next warframe is a dwarf, or a "Dwarframe", if you prefer.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Furnace operators live in 1x1 coffin apartments (usually recently reassigned cheesemakers). Miners have a 3x3 room with bed, cabinet, and chest. Metal workers of any kind have a 5x5 room with engravings, a statue, and a private dining room.

Urist McSpaceNinja cancels Hack: Interrupted by Stalker :v: (I think you posted this in the wrong thread)

Mindblast posted:

I can understand your frustration and while I can not justify why it is like that I can tell you two ways to deal with it: first of all, some goons may be sitting on more cells and control modules than they know what to do with so you may be able to get a few of those to ease farming up the other materials.

This would be wonderful if you could trade materials. I'm surprised you can't, actually.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I kind of feel like so far in the game (and I am early on so I apologize for my ignorance) all I'm trying to do is run from the spawn room to the end room and being inconvenienced by a few baddies on the way. Can someone give me a rundown of how you're supposed to play and what the game becomes when you get to non-beginner levels? I feel like there aren't enough enemies and the levels are too large (or lacking a decent spread of enemies) for me to really see more than 10-15 as I run around trying to find out what the hell I'm doing.

And also what would you say are the main goals in Warframe from a more meta-gaming perspective? I can't quite parse what it's all about in the end, other than running from A to B, killing a few enemies and not really seeing anything but some XP bars fill up.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I know I tend to run in to much larger groups during the second half of a mission than at the start. More tend to spawn the longer you take it seems like. I am not very far in but it seems the end game is heavily Mod based.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Sundowner posted:

I kind of feel like so far in the game (and I am early on so I apologize for my ignorance) all I'm trying to do is run from the spawn room to the end room and being inconvenienced by a few baddies on the way.

Yeah I've only played a few games myself, I just like it for a "jump on and shoot guys for 15 minutes" game. I am not really invested in it, I just like shooting dudes and seeing if my performance is better than my teammates by the end.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Wheeee posted:

That's where I'm at. I picked the lovely Excalibur frame after reading the OP and it's got the most boring goddamn skills and I'm like four planets away from getting the final piece to build a new warframe.

When you hit rank 6, build Ogris and equip Super Jump extension mods. Orbital strike capability instantly redeems Excalibur.

Fruit Chewy posted:

As a new player who just looked up what 'zorencoptering' is, is there a good reason I shouldn't craft some zorens just for giggles?

The Lecta whip released with U11 has a slightly different form of zorencoptering (hold melee, go farther) and as a bonus is passable and fun to use in case you want a transportation method that doesn't need a crit build to be most effective as an actual weapon. I recommend building it when you can.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 3, 2013

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly, most of the time I just want to do Survival/Defense Missions.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Can I get an invite into the PS4 clan? PSN: Wristcrack

Can't seem to make it through Lua.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sundowner posted:

I kind of feel like so far in the game (and I am early on so I apologize for my ignorance) all I'm trying to do is run from the spawn room to the end room and being inconvenienced by a few baddies on the way. Can someone give me a rundown of how you're supposed to play and what the game becomes when you get to non-beginner levels? I feel like there aren't enough enemies and the levels are too large (or lacking a decent spread of enemies) for me to really see more than 10-15 as I run around trying to find out what the hell I'm doing.

And also what would you say are the main goals in Warframe from a more meta-gaming perspective? I can't quite parse what it's all about in the end, other than running from A to B, killing a few enemies and not really seeing anything but some XP bars fill up.

Higher levels throw more and tougher enemies at you. They'll eventually get rough enough that you can't just ignore them. When you have the luxury of choosing any mission type you like (not hunting a boss drop, not doing an alert, map is entirely filled out) you can do defense, mobile defense and survival missions. The goal of those is "kill thousands of dudes". In my opinion, that's where the game gets fun when you just kind trance out and kill for like twenty minutes without break.

Long-term, the general metagame is "do cool flips and shoot dudes with neat toys in such a way that you get more neat toys to shoot dudes with while you do cool flips". Fortunately, doing the "kill thousands of dudes" missions gets you boatloads of XP and resources, so basically you can just be in constant unlimited murder mode.

Your first overarching goal is to fill out your star chart. You'll need access to a bunch of planets so you can get all the materials you need, finishing a planet unlocks Nightmare missions (which give some quite good special mods as a reward), you need access to all the nodes so you won't miss alerts, and you get a small amount of mastery (account-wide XP) for it.

You'll also want to acquire and level up as many weapons, sentinels, and warframes as possible. That's your primary method of gaining mastery, which unlocks more weapons to play with, which you can use to raise your mastery, etc.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Yeah, in order for this game to really be the 9/10 game that it wants to be, Digital Extremes is going to have to streamline a bunch of the jankier (hint: early beta bad design) aspects and provide a better new player experience. Almost all of the bad parts of the game are frontloaded, which is why I can understand the low Eurogamer score.

As suggestions, DE should 1) reduce nodes on most planets 2) provide more variation of aesthetics 3) improve the boss battles - this is happening 4) combine exterminate/spy/sabotage/capture missions and/or have shorter point to point missions and 5) rebalance mission rewards so that you'd want to do as many different types of missions as possible. Unlocking the Star Map right now is a chore and gates the better parts of Warframe.

For newer players who aren't the biggest fans so far, the best experience possible now for a newbie is start with Mag or Excal, get Rhino, do defense/survival missions, do tower missions and unlock cool stuff. Doing missions with the goon clan makes the game a much better experience.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well that and the fact that console games need more polish to be considered acceptable by their standards. Maybe if DE gave more newbie friendly options like offering more frames and weapons from the get go. Warframe isn't exactly a niche game, as it still peaks in the top 10 for Steam players.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 3, 2013

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Blocking makes you wave your melee around like a dumbass until you don't take fire for ~2 seconds and it can't be stopped by releasing Block and you can't do anything while the animation is playing.

I wouldn't have noticed this if I hadn't tried to interrupt my reload in a firefight, after which I was worthless for about 10 seconds.

nacon
May 7, 2005

Denzine posted:

Blocking makes you wave your melee around like a dumbass until you don't take fire for ~2 seconds and it can't be stopped by releasing Block and you can't do anything while the animation is playing.

I wouldn't have noticed this if I hadn't tried to interrupt my reload in a firefight, after which I was worthless for about 10 seconds.

I think that a melee attack breaks the block animation.

And yes, blocking is terrible and more of a nuisance than anything else.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So how many of you guys used to play Gunz? I used to be addicted to that piece of poo poo game and I feel like this is a massively improved spiritual advancement of it. It gives me the same satisfying feeling when I play it for some reason.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Kilometers Davis posted:

So how many of you guys used to play Gunz? I used to be addicted to that piece of poo poo game and I feel like this is a massively improved spiritual advancement of it. It gives me the same satisfying feeling when I play it for some reason.

I honestly never noticed but the whole movement does feel really similar. That game was gloriously awful.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

I played Gunz even a year ago. I never did quest, but I won a free ipod and infinite duration deity from the first or second ijji tournament I don't remember.

The movement in this game is not similar at all. Gunz' controls are way better, because you have considerably more control. I suppose Gunz' controls are also worse because they take a few hundred hours to learn and will murder your wrists with the 6-10 key presses per second, and only after that can you start to learn how to actually play the game. Gunz also had better sword combat, although block success and failure was slightly unintuitive from a human perspective because they were lazy about the math for it. At the very least, wall running was more fluid and simple in gunz and it's frustratingly inconsistent and clumsy at times in warframe. U11 did help it somewhat, but there's still annoying crap like not being able to wall run if someone else is standing near you.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 3, 2013

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Could I get an invite? PSN: Taylonhart

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Question about extractors: I've been cycling extractors through Europa for a few days now and only seem to get rubedo. Not really complaining since I have 5,000+ now (and I remember when rubedo was the bottleneck resource), but do extractors ever mine rare system resources or is it just uncommons? I think I may have gotten control modules once because I cheesed an extractor sometime between having 3 modules (two days ago) and 23 modules (current total) and haven't really been farming them apart from a few T2 runs and one Hyena run.

If it's uncommons, I need to go after polymer bundles and stop wasting my time looking for free morphics.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I got 4 Orokin Cells from my extractor in Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Oh man, you guys weren't kidding about the extractor bug. 5000 ferrite from one extractor. :thumbsup: