Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RandomPauI posted:

It also might not be in a regular cellphone network.
Jones' phone might be a satellite phone.

Also it is my firm belief that she spends a lot of her free time playing snake. This is based on absolutely nothing but I'm still convinced it's true.

Wait is this how writing fanfiction starts :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also, Kat's work with the robots is more or less a hobby, and after she invented antigravity the Court's probably not going to curtail any of her technical exploration.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DontMockMySmock posted:

Parley and Smitty are significantly older, and Annie is a special case. As for Paz, well, she volunteers, and we don't really know whether or not the adults treat her with respect with regards to the animal lab.
Well she can speak to animals, so they probably consider her handy to have around at least. Whether they actually respect her is another question.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Splicer posted:

Jones' phone might be a satellite phone.

Also it is my firm belief that she spends a lot of her free time playing snake. This is based on absolutely nothing but I'm still convinced it's true.

Wait is this how writing fanfiction starts :ohdear:

It's how awesome fanfiction starts :smugjones:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

It also might not be in a regular cellphone network.

Considering that there have been a few mentions that the people at the Court have essentially left regular society, I wouldn't be surprised if it was pretty much cut off from the rest of the world when it comes to communication.

Talorat posted:

Am I the only person that thinks its weird that these kids are like 13-14 years old and yet they all have jobs and are treated with respect by the adults and are eligible to be ambassadors to the mystical forest? It feels like they are characterized as being more along the lines of 17-18 year olds.

They're at a facility that encourages superscience with students from all over the place. Their students are generally pretty talented. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some kid from the Court one day became a superscientist hero along the lines of Dr Jonas Venture Senior. I mean Kat's halfway there with how she came to Annie's rescue with an antigravity vehicle.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but the court in general seems to be suspiciously thin on actual adults.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but the court in general seems to be suspiciously thin on actual adults.

Well, to be fair, we are focused on the boarding school section, and all that excess space means that it's probably pretty easy not to run into everyone else.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 3, 2013

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I think that's probably because the protagonist is a kid who interacts with mythological creatures on a regular basis. Showing us the story of Doris, The Cafeteria Chef are pretty low on the totem pole compared to those. It makes sense that the human adults we see are ones that are important enough to be worth mentioning. Think about it, when you were a kid how many of the adults around you were actually particularly important in your life?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Parents, teachers, a few shopkeepers.

Since it's a boarding school, there are no parents unless they're also part of school staff like the Donlans; and it doesn't seem like there's any actual shop in the Court. It doesn't seem to have a monetary economy, actually.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Slime posted:

I think that's probably because the protagonist is a kid who interacts with mythological creatures on a regular basis. Showing us the story of Doris, The Cafeteria Chef are pretty low on the totem pole compared to those. It makes sense that the human adults we see are ones that are important enough to be worth mentioning. Think about it, when you were a kid how many of the adults around you were actually particularly important in your life?

It could just be the Peanuts thing where the adults are all just nebulous clouds somewhere in the background, but maybe not. The comic has made a number of direct references to how empty the court seems to be.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Slime posted:

They're at a facility that encourages superscience with students from all over the place. Their students are generally pretty talented. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some kid from the Court one day became a superscientist hero along the lines of Dr Jonas Venture Senior. I mean Kat's halfway there with how she came to Annie's rescue with an antigravity vehicle.

Pfft, now you've just got me imagining a series starring Kat's lazy, inept, morally suspect daughter. Voiced by James Urbaniak, exactly as he would Rusty Venture.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Joke's on you guys when Doris the Lunch Lady turns out to be an integral character who also has the latest and greatest smart phone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Since it's a boarding school, there are no parents unless they're also part of school staff like the Donlans; and it doesn't seem like there's any actual shop in the Court. It doesn't seem to have a monetary economy, actually.

Given the robots seem willing to do a whole lot of the grunt work, it seems like scarcity doesn't really apply.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

It could just be the Peanuts thing where the adults are all just nebulous clouds somewhere in the background, but maybe not. The comic has made a number of direct references to how empty the court seems to be.

I think the Court seems empty because it's just huge. It wasn't really something the inhabitants built, so it's probably much bigger than is necessary for the amount of people who actually live there. Considering that it grew from the seed bismuth, it may even still be growing.

In the future, everyone will be a member of Gunnerkrigg Court.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, yeah it seems empty, it's a sparsely-inhabited wasteland of endlessly growing buildings.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

seravid posted:

Received my copy of Annie in the Forest Part 2 today; thanks again, Nettle Soup!

Just like Part 1, it's a joy to read and the art remains excellent (and better than the regular comic).

I got mine over the weekend too! Nettle Soup is the best, although not very tasty!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Speaking of teachers, I still wanna know who this guy is. Did he ever show up again?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
If I recall properly, not only did he never appear again, Tom once said that he would expunge him from the comic if he ever were to redo the first chapter.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Just some Nobody.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
He probably returned to the forest and became a stone. :geno:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Regy Rusty posted:

Speaking of teachers, I still wanna know who this guy is. Did he ever show up again?
I really, really thought these were going to be a bunch of Eglamore links.

Anoia posted:

Joke's on you guys when Doris the Lunch Lady turns out to be an integral character who also has the latest and greatest smart phone.
Doris is a robot. The smart phone is integrated into her arm.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

idonotlikepeas posted:

If I recall properly, not only did he never appear again, Tom once said that he would expunge him from the comic if he ever were to redo the first chapter.

I can't blame him, given how terrifying Snape fangirls are. No scowling teacher is safe now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Weird guy looks a bit like the headmaster, would make sense for him to be keeping an eye on her at first too.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

DekeThornton posted:

Cell phone saturation has been at or over 100% for well over a decade now. I'd say it's safe to assume all students who aren't Annie or former forest creatures would be expected to own at least one cell phone, if they are anything like students outside the Court. I assume the reason we aren't shown the kids using phones is simply because it doesn't fit the narrative.

Dumb phones sure, but not smart phones which are capable of texting without using stupid button combinations, which is what really made texting take off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BobTheJanitor posted:

Dumb phones sure, but not smart phones which are capable of texting without using stupid button combinations, which is what really made texting take off.
In the US maybe, but texting has been alive and well in Europe since... what, the mid 90s?

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Speak for yourselves. I was in grade school in the US when dumb phones were still a thing, and I can attest to seeing plenty of dumb kids garner huge phone bills because they ripped through their 500 text-per-month limit or whatever and kept on going.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

T9 was motherfucking magic and every single person in my year level at school could pretty much text on a dumbphone keyboard as fast as they can on a smartphone.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

razorrozar posted:

Also, Kat's work with the robots is more or less a hobby, and after she invented antigravity the Court's probably not going to curtail any of her technical exploration.

Protein crystals! <:mad:>

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Razorwired posted:

Protein crystals! <:mad:>

I keep expecting this to come back as some kind of corner stone in her work to create more human robots.

Protein Crystals!

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Awww :smith:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

D'oh! Kat missed this one in her rapid survey of nostalgic places around the court.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You better be just napping, Annie.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Annie's definitely looking to be on a downer there. No help with the why though. :(

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Probably worried about losing her only friend who isn't an anthromorphic personification.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whatcha thinkin about Annie?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I have the weirdest feeling this is going to roundabout its way to Annie confessing about the homework theft.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Probably worried about losing her only friend who isn't an anthromorphic personification.

Yeah. Feelin' left out I would guess :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She is sad that Kat didn't tell her, I'm guessing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MikeJF posted:

She is sad that Kat didn't tell her, I'm guessing.

Which would be silly, considering how long Kat went without even telling herself.

"Hey, I was totally lying to myself for way longer than I was hiding anything from you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You guys are overthinking this. Annie just propped her body up there and she's doing some serious ether diving right now. For some reason.