Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Behold the coolest motorcycle ever made

Rare 1994 Kawasaki KLX-650 dual sport street legal motorcycle. Not very many of these left, especially in this outstanding condition! Huge water cooled 4-valve single cylinder engine makes massive amounts of torque along with good upper-end horsepower. Upside down forks. Always garage kept. Only 12,000 highway miles. Electric start. Just serviced and ready to go! Give us a call 856-Six-9-One-5595 or stop by anytime during normal business hours and check it out.

Asking price is $1900

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcd/4181250171.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

slidebite posted:

I know nothing about these bikes, but I think I should.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ545812615

They're big, long, heavy bikes and the weird BMW duolever / telelever make you not really want to push it in the curves. Or so the reviews say. The full-faired S makes more sense if you want a hypersport-tourer, and if you want a naked brawler, something smaller, lighter and conventionally suspended is probably a better idea.

That price is also kind of high, but it's probably distorted by your maple leaf economy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Do they really do 173 at the rear wheel? I'd believe crank power which would put it over the stock C14, but have a harder time believing it at the wheel.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

slidebite posted:

Do they really do 173 at the rear wheel? I'd believe crank power which would put it over the stock C14, but have a harder time believing it at the wheel.

Motorcyclist dyno'd the K1300s at about 147 at the rear, I'd be surprised if the R was more, certainly not that much more.

That does put it a little over the C14 (maybe like 10 hp, tq very close), like 100 pounds less, but of course that's without bags

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I meant harder time believing at the wheel as in 173HP, not that it was higher than a stock C14.. I have little doubt that it did.

Thanks for the info, I really didn't know anything about them. Even though they are/were available here, I don't think I've ever seen one so they're kind of rare.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 25, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have an unreasonable love for those K1300Rs. They're just so cool looking. I also think the buzz around the front ends being numb is overblown, although I will admit that the bikes do suffer dramatically if the suspension hasn't been refreshed recently, and the stock suspension goes from wonderful to poo poo in about 10-20k miles.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/4211368300.html

Non-running 2001 ninja 500 for $750. If it ran when put away, a simple case of oil change, fresh gas and carb clean should sort it out, right? I've done plenty of motorcycle work in the past so I'm not afraid. I'm just trying to get the bst deal I can.

Somebody else has an ultra meticulously maintained ninja 500 for $2500 and that's out of my price range.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/4206467962.html

Should I make the stretch for this meticulously maintained one, go with the other one I looked at a few weeks ago with some cosmetic issues? Or the fixer upper?

How can I evaluate the non-runner that has tags for some reason? What things should I look for?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Russian Bear posted:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4194731829.html

Here is another one, are the mods dumb? Heated grips are nice..

Interesting that in many of the pictures the clutch lever looks just fine. I wonder what the rest of the bike really looks like.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Rontalvos posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/4211368300.html

Non-running 2001 ninja 500 for $750. If it ran when put away, a simple case of oil change, fresh gas and carb clean should sort it out, right? I've done plenty of motorcycle work in the past so I'm not afraid. I'm just trying to get the bst deal I can.

Somebody else has an ultra meticulously maintained ninja 500 for $2500 and that's out of my price range.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/4206467962.html

Should I make the stretch for this meticulously maintained one, go with the other one I looked at a few weeks ago with some cosmetic issues? Or the fixer upper?

How can I evaluate the non-runner that has tags for some reason? What things should I look for?

It really depends on the conditions of the sitting one, since the ad says it's been there for several years. Worst case scenario is that the inside of the tank is rusted, fuel lines are rotted, tires, chain, and possibly sprockets are garbage, all fluids need to be refreshed, needs a new battery, carbs need to be meticulously cleaned, and miscellaneous seals and rubber bits are withering away. Figure all this is about $4-600 if you do the work yourself.

If, on the other hand, it's been kept well, it should only need the things you mentioned, plus maybe tires and a chain. I'd try and get it for $700 if that's the case.

As for the other one, I think I'd have trouble ponying up that much for an ex500, regardless of condition. It's crazy well kept, but the premium of buying that at full asking price isn't really worth the benefits over buying something cheaper (that would also probably have less mileage) IMO.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/4201999894.html
I think the price is high, but thoughts on the early R6? From what I've heard it's still one of the best handling bikes ever made.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Best handling bikes ever made? I dunno, I think the 08+ model probably gets the nod.

That seems stupid expensive, too.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

BlackMK4 posted:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/4201999894.html
I think the price is high, but thoughts on the early R6? From what I've heard it's still one of the best handling bikes ever made.
My old 2005 R6 handled far better than my current 2005 GSX-R600. I still need to get my suspension dialed in, but the R6 was a better bike. If I knew how much difference it would be, I'd have waited for another R6 to come up before buying the replacement.

But yeah, price is way too high. $2500, maybe $3000 if it had a bunch of useful upgrades, which that ad doesn't.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

My old 2005 R6 handled far better than my current 2005 GSX-R600. I still need to get my suspension dialed in, but the R6 was a better bike. If I knew how much difference it would be, I'd have waited for another R6 to come up before buying the replacement.

But yeah, price is way too high. $2500, maybe $3000 if it had a bunch of useful upgrades, which that ad doesn't.

Z3n posted:

Best handling bikes ever made? I dunno, I think the 08+ model probably gets the nod.

That seems stupid expensive, too.
I need to live where you guys do - $2500-$3000 isn't buying you poo poo here. :v:
Furthers my want to fly out to the bay to pick up a bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm busy over the next few weeks, but deals come up...drop me a line if you want me to inspect some noise for you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you :) January will probably be the month, all things considered.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I need to live where you guys do - $2500-$3000 isn't buying you poo poo here. :v:
Furthers my want to fly out to the bay to pick up a bike.
I'm in DC. :)

We occasionally get bangin deals that pop up, but not like in CA where the bike market is just saturated.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And by January I mean I just sold my car and have moneys in my hands.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Should I even consider this? Maybe offer 700 or something?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/4186402175.html

edit: the gs500 guy said the bike does not run, but needs fuel shut off cleaned to run..

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 29, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
700 if you're feeling generous. I see almost mint condition 250s that old go for a grand here all the time, and plastics are a big money item.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just thought this one was funny:

quote:

The bike was garage kept, it's never been driven off-road, never dropped, never raced

-Three (3) BMW ALUMINUM panniers.
-Heated Grips.
-On Board Computer.
-ESA II (Electronic Suspension)
-Chrome Exhaust Pipe.
- Fog Lights.
- Saddle Bag Mounts for ALU Panniers

It has 920 miles on it

I love this bike

:jerkbag:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That bike exemplifies why sometimes you gotta buy a lovely motorcycle and just run that fucker into the ground not giving a gently caress. Respect to the beaters of the world.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
He loves it so much he's put ALMOST a thousand miles on it. Passionate loving guy there, I bet his wife is exhausted.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

PadreScout posted:

He loves it so much he's put ALMOST a thousand miles on it. Passionate loving guy there, I bet his wife is exhausted.
Well, the bike is still traveled. The miles are all on the Land Rover and trailer, getting the bike the the BMW dealer and back for farkle installation.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Coredump posted:

That bike exemplifies why sometimes you gotta buy a lovely motorcycle and just run that fucker into the ground not giving a gently caress. Respect to the beaters of the world.

I've got a beautiful 2012 Street Triple R and a beat up, constantly dirty DRZ400S and I ride the Z way more than the S3R. I've dropped it so many times I just don't care anymore, and I love it for that.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
How about a 1982 cb900f for $1850? I'm thinking about something a bit zippier than my 2003 KLR705 since my commute is mostly highway.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Stitecin posted:

How about a 1982 cb900f for $1850? I'm thinking about something a bit zippier than my 2003 KLR705 since my commute is mostly highway.

poo poo, I'd make that trade up, though $1850 seems a little more than I'd pay.

You'll have all kinds of running annoyances till you replace those pods with a stock airbox, but otherwise that engine is really strong for an 80s bike.

Edit: Maintenance will also be a bit more. Valve checks at 5000 miles, carbs tend to get out of sync around then too.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 4, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Stitecin posted:

They're good but if you want a dohc CB, you should get an 1100. Otherwise I prefer the SOHC's
I have no idea what the market for those is in Cali but that's not a terrible price for a clean, well maintained cb900f in VA.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
this would make a nice runaround

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-serrow/6095543

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

I have ridden one, fun little bikes. light enough to throw around, but tall enough to actually fairly comfortable

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

so many things about this are so right.

edit:

uh...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 5, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Stitecin posted:

How about a 1982 cb900f for $1850?

Keep in mind the big '80s CBs are heavy and the brakes / suspension aren't exactly modern even if they've been refreshed. Not that any of that may matter coming from an old KLR.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Board tracker.
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/4191044968.html

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't know if this is a good deal but I know it looks like a blast on the streets:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/4234026877.html

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Xovaan posted:

I don't know if this is a good deal but I know it looks like a blast on the streets:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/4234026877.html

Shame he un-motarded it.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Shame he un-motarded it.

What do you mean? Do you say that because it's got the stock EXC suspension on it? Because the EXC is the street ready model.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

What do you mean? Do you say that because it's got the stock EXC suspension on it? Because the EXC is the street ready model.

"now sold supermoto setup"

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

"now sold supermoto setup"

Oh. Welp.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 28, 2019

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

English probably isn't their first language, or just not a very good speller. I don't think anyone would do that intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
So having been ruined for sportsbike riding in Australia after a 6,000 mile stint on a GSX-R in the States, I'm looking at sumos.

How bad of a deal is this? I mean, leaving aside Australia's ridiculously inflated bike prices (finding a roadworthy DRZ400SM under $5,000 takes doing), that this is unregistered and potentially 14 years old (it sure doesn't look it, which makes me suspect this dude entered the wrong date) ...

... would it be worth even looking at this with a smaller wad of cash in hand?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bacchus-marsh/motorcycles/husqvarna-sm610-supermoto-motard-bike/1033495761

Thoughts on engine rebuilds, etc?