Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fulchrum posted:

So, a week ago when Mario debuted in Japan, it took a modest amount of sales and the number two positions. But, a number of people said the game would hold its place and be a long seller.

Well, Lightning Returns retains its top position. Mario, meanwhile, has slid to #7.

What is going on with Nintendo and Japan? Are they just getting tired of the Wii U or is it the same problems as here with advertising?

I will admit that I lost a lot of confidence with Nintendo after the Wii. I think it was at that point that I lost interest in Zelda after the not even being able to finish Twilight Princess. It says a lot that I actually played the DBZ launch game more than Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What exactly IS the harm in them releasing those games on phones anyway.

I'm referring to their older ones, like Link to the Past for example, what is the harm exactly?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I hated Metroid Prime but Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. Has Nintendo hinted even in the slightest about doing a "New Super Metroid" kind of like the new 2D Mario games?

I really want to pick up a WiiU just for the Mario 3D World and maybe the Sonic games, but I just can't justify the purchase without knowing that there's going to be something more than just Zelda games on the horizon (never played a Zelda game, don't want to).

A few pages back someone mentioned that backwards compatibility might be hurting the system... Well, I never owned a Wii and I wouldn't even consider picking up a WiiU if I couldn't also catch up on some good Wii games I missed. I also owned a Nintendo 64 but never owned Mario 64, yes people like me do exist.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 3, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I'm referring to their older ones, like Link to the Past for example, what is the harm exactly?

It weakens their brand. Nintendo systems no longer become the only place to get Nintendo games, and that's significant when they are putting handhelds out still.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Alteisen posted:

There is no harm in it other than the game being made worse by the porting. Just look at the Megaman X port.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Alteisen posted:

That game would be absolutely horrible to play with touch controls. It would be a bad product in that format.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just saw this on Facebook:

Jason Rubin, co-founder of Naughty Dog, said "Nintendo is irrelevant as a hardware manufactuer in the console business right now."

I mean Naughty Dog is a first party Sony developer so it's not like their games were ever coming to Wii U anyway, but still, that's yet another studio that's spoken out about the Wii U not standing a chance.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just saw this on Facebook:

Jason Rubin, co-founder of Naughty Dog, said "Nintendo is irrelevant as a hardware manufactuer in the console business right now."

I mean Naughty Dog is a first party Sony developer so it's not like their games were ever coming to Wii U anyway, but still, that's yet another studio that's spoken out about the Wii U not standing a chance.

Rubin hasn't actually been with Naughty Dog for a while now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

-I hated Metroid Prime.

-I also owned a Nintendo 64 but never owned Mario 64.

I think we've discovered a new species of pokemon gamer folks.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I hated Metroid Prime but Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. Has Nintendo hinted even in the slightest about doing a "New Super Metroid" kind of like the new 2D Mario games?
They were talking about Metroid Dread about half a decade ago, but that never went anywhere.

Crowbear posted:

Rubin hasn't actually been with Naughty Dog for a while now.
Yeah, his last job was president of THQ.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 3, 2013

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

blackguy32 posted:

What is going on with Nintendo and Japan? Are they just getting tired of the Wii U or is it the same problems as here with advertising?

Again it has more to do with the system than it does the game/franchise.

quote:

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII manages to hold on the first place, while last week’s second ranker Super Mario 3D World sinks rather radically to position 7, showing that Japanese gamers may very well be finally tired of Mario and his wacky friends.

If that weren't the case Luigi's Crib 2 wouldn't have hit almost a million in Japan alone by the end of this past July.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TaurusOxford posted:

I think we've discovered a new species of pokemon gamer folks.

Metroid Prime suffered from the movement being slow as poo poo and the enemies being bullet sponges. I love Metroid Prime, but that always annoyed me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Metroid Prime suffered from the movement being slow as poo poo and the enemies being bullet sponges. I love Metroid Prime, but that always annoyed me.

Put in the Speed Booster and let you combine your beams like in Super Metroid. Problem solved. Now where is Metroid Prime 4?

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I've been on a Metroidvania kick recently, and would highly recommend Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PSOne and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the GBA. The movement abilities they give you are pretty insane, especially Power of Wolf in SotN that allows you to plow through enemies in wolf form while building up tremendous speed. They both have bonus modes where you play as a Belmont, but instead of the slow, clumsy controls of the NES games, you've got all of your abilities from the start and can do a serious amount of damage, but you can't level up.

I can't believe that the last 2D Metroid came out almost a decade ago, and there were only five in total (that's counting Zero Mission as a whole new game). All we have to look forward to is the Metroid II remake, which looks as much of an improvement as Zero Mission was to the original.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the problem is that they just don't think there's a big enough audience for more 2D Metroids. They were always kind of a lukewarm franchise despite tons of critical praise. Most of the attempts at something similar recently have been budget indie titles. It also doesn't help that a well made 2D Metroid is a short game by its very nature, made for speedrunning and gimmick runs, and shorter games get bad press no matter what.

I think they could probably do a 2D Metroid, especially on the 3DS, and turn a profit, it just becomes a question of it they'd turn more of a profit than something else they could develop on a similar budget. They could maybe do an eShop-exclusive lower-budget Metroid game but that probably isn't really what people want when they hear "new 2D Metroid," especially with things like LBW or NSMB to compare it to.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 3, 2013

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If they didnt like Mario 3D what DOES Japan like these days?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Uncle Wemus posted:

Miku Hatsune

Also Game of Thrones going by the ratings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Handhelds. The PS4 is going to do better than the Wii U almost certainly but there's a pretty good chance it's going to not exactly set the world on fire over there despite having no meaningful competition and a better launch lineup than the US release. That isn't an excuse for the Wii U's drastic underperformance but the Japanese gaming market is very quickly moving to handheld and mobile devices. (And has been for a while.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, his last job was president of THQ.

Yeesh. He's not exactly wrong (in regards to consoles anyway) but that's not exactly a glittering position to be speaking from

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mandrel posted:

Yeesh. He's not exactly wrong (in regards to consoles anyway) but that's not exactly a glittering position to be speaking from

THQ was already hosed when he took control of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, he was basically told to grab a dixie cup and bilge the water out of the ship before it sank. THQ had already killed itself by investing a ridiculous amount of money into those UDraw things.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 3, 2013

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Like Kellee Santiago with the Ouya. They fooled someone with huge amounts of talent into getting their prints all overt the corpse.

And you'd think Nintendo would have looked at the UDraw and said "maybe there's a lesson here".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Like Kellee Santiago with the Ouya. They fooled someone with huge amounts of talent into getting their prints all overt the corpse.

And you'd think Nintendo would have looked at the UDraw and said "maybe there's a lesson here".

Yeah, like Nintendo would ever look at what a western company was doing to see if it worked or not. Heck, if they did look they would probably say, "oh look, the Wii edition UDraw sold fine, perhaps that could be the hook to draw people in? As a matter of fact we could call our new system the 'Wii U' to capitalize on this connection!"

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

Heck, if they did look they would probably say, "oh look, the Wii edition UDraw sold fine, perhaps that could be the hook to draw people in? As a matter of fact we could call our new system the 'Wii U' to capitalize on this connection!"

This is pretty believable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pyroi posted:

There is no harm in it other than the game being made worse by the porting. Just look at the Megaman X port.

I think that the game needing to have a super easy mode because the controls were so horrible is proof that you can't just simply slap these games on iOS and expect them to be enjoyable.

In order to play Super Mario Bros on an iPhone you would need to make Mario have a life bar, the game gets incredibly difficult when you have zero tactile feedback.

Fulchrum posted:

So, a week ago when Mario debuted in Japan, it took a modest amount of sales and the number two positions. But, a number of people said the game would hold its place and be a long seller.

Well, Lightning Returns retains its top position. Mario, meanwhile, has slid to #7.

It's not really surprising that a game for a system with such a small install base is not selling well... it's a bigger problem that it's not causing Wii U sales.

Of course, I know a few people that will be buying Wii Us this Christmas for their kids, and they simply haven't acted on it yet because it's in stock and there are no sales, so there is no reason to rush out to the store and grab it

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 3, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The time for small adjustments is over. It's time for radical action.
Hang Miyamoto. Fire everybody. Suspend all Zelda-related projects. Make 1 (one) good metroid game. Port Mother 3 to the US. Begin work on Mother 4 and a spinoff. Create no less than 8 new IPs. Stop saturating the market with "party" style shovelware. Reinstate the seal of quality.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
No, release Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ImpAtom posted:

Handhelds. The PS4 is going to do better than the Wii U almost certainly but there's a pretty good chance it's going to not exactly set the world on fire over there despite having no meaningful competition and a better launch lineup than the US release. That isn't an excuse for the Wii U's drastic underperformance but the Japanese gaming market is very quickly moving to handheld and mobile devices. (And has been for a while.)

Or it could simply be that PS3 is ancient and the alternatives are Wii (also ancient), Xbox 360 (:lol: and ancient), Wii U (:laffo:) and I guess in the future Xbone (:newlol:)

MrBims posted:

No, release Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Summer Youth Olympics.

Mario & Sonic at the Paralympic Games

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Astro7x posted:

I think that the game needing to have a super easy mode because the controls were so horrible is proof that you can't just simply slap these games on iOS and expect them to be enjoyable.

In order to play Super Mario Bros on an iPhone you would need to make Mario have a life bar, the game gets incredibly difficult when you have zero tactile feedback.

Why? The original Super Mario Bros. didn't have tactile feedback or a life bar. Why would you need to complicate the basic SMB formula just to put it onto a mobile platform? (Especially since there isn't any tactile feedback on their existing handheld platforms.)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DarkSol posted:

Why? The original Super Mario Bros. didn't have tactile feedback or a life bar. Why would you need to complicate the basic SMB formula just to put it onto a mobile platform? (Especially since there isn't any tactile feedback on their existing handheld platforms.)

You can feel which direction you've pushed the d-pad in with your thumb, but with a touch screen you can't. Likewise with the buttons. The phone can try an simulate the feel of pressing a button with a light rumble (which I think you assumed was meant by tactile feedback), but it's not any good for games where you need to press or hold multiple things at once. Even just changing direction with a virtual d-pad is a pain, because you don't know how far you need to move your thumb before it registers a different direction.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
By tactile feedback I meant I physical button. I bought Mega Man X for a dollar on iOS because why not. It is much more difficult having touch screen buttons. You just need buttons for platforms... easy mode on Mega Man X at least made it playable because your health didn't go down as quickly and the enemies took more damage, because you were simply loving up so much because the controls sucked.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
More depressing than 3D World failing as a system seller is Mario not even being popular with certain demographics.

Like the Tumblr demographic. Just look at dis. Didn't even make the top twenty most reblogged video games at Tumblr.

Now how can they make the Mario franchise appeal more to this demographic?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

By making him a yaoi character.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

By making him a yaoi character.

Mario x Luigi: Superstar Twincest is going to have the worst tutorials imaginable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
You know, sales were fine last year in November and December. Then 2013 came along with the Year of Luigi. I blame Luigi for all of this, nobody wants to buy a system for Luigi...

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Astro7x posted:

You know, sales were fine last year in November and December. Then 2013 came along with the Year of Luigi. I blame Luigi for all of this, nobody wants to buy a system for Luigi...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barudak posted:

Mario x Luigi: Superstar Twincest is going to have the worst tutorials imaginable.

Just wait until they put on their tanooki suits.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Astro7x posted:

This theory makes me sad, but I can't find a single argument to refute it :(

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

I always figured that Luigi would be too scared for sexual experimentation. Which would leave Mario with Birdo and Waluigi.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PrBacterio posted:

This theory makes me sad, but I can't find a single argument to refute it :(

His stuff was pretty weak, Dream Team was mediocre and took hand-holding to new heights, Dark Moon can't hold a candle to the original, the expansion for NSMB while decent, was still just the regular levels remixed so I don't think anyone was kicking down any door to get at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ka0 posted:

Suspend all Zelda-related projects.

You're joking here, right? Because that seems like a very, very bad idea.

• Locked thread