Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

No More Heroes posted:

Constant location/set changes get expensive though, I bet they find somewhere to squat and set up shop real quick :smith:

Maybe thats why after S1 AMC was like: "gently caress this", slashed the budget and fired/forced out Darabont. I recall him saying he wanted each episode to be a mini movie

I think they should cut the number of episodes per season down, and stop doing splits. Make it AMC's Game of Thrones. Having 8-10 episodes would cut the budget down, and make splitting pointless, which would satisfy the suits and the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ded posted:

I always knew Carl was actually a woman.

maybe they could bring back T-dog's actor as a stunt double?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

MeLKoR posted:

Rick crying is never not funny.

See, that's the thing, how the hell does dragging them out and partially burning them cover up anything? They didn't drag and burn themselves.
I went looking for another one of that scene that I liked and couldn't find it. I found these, though:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No More Heroes posted:

I too thought it was kinda wierd how he didnt take his head clean off with the first swipe but then again, thatd be relatively clean compared to Hershel bleeding out for presumably a couple minutes and squirming around before being hacked at a few more times :stare:

To be fair taking someone's head off with a sword in one swing is far, far from easy and he's not used to even holding a sword. So there's that. Maybe he thought it'd take his head off all dramatically, then found out Katanas kind of loving suck in most people's hands.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Neowyrm posted:

Having 8-10 episodes would cut the budget down, and make splitting pointless, which would satisfy the suits and the fans.

Cutting the amount of episodes in half would not satisfy the fans as a whole. It would satisfy vocal internet fans who don't actually like the show that much (and actually it wouldn't even do that unless they knocked it out of the park and went all out with double the budget for each episode), but this show gets mad ratings, people in general would not be happy if they cut the episode order in half.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Tyreese is gonna teach the girls how to punch zombies to death. Guns are loud, all the power you need is in your fists!

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

Neowyrm posted:

I think they should cut the number of episodes per season down, and stop doing splits. Make it AMC's Game of Thrones. Having 8-10 episodes would cut the budget down, and make splitting pointless, which would satisfy the suits and the fans.

Maybe then they don't spend two episodes to tell a convoluted story aiming to restyle a character who changed his convictions scene by scene. Good thing Dexter hosed up the whole big bad thing even worse because the Gov would've been a frontrunner for shittiest antagonist of the year in whatever lovely end of the year TV show list someone might come up with.

13stitches fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 3, 2013

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think my favorite scene was Carol 2.0 shooting the army chick in the head.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Not the best episode ever, but if this is what it took to get us back to "small groups of people running around trying to stay alive in this hosed up new world" story lines and plot arcs, then I can live with it. Some of the groups are pretty interesting and I hope the whole next half season is them trying to survive, meeting new people, getting into crazy poo poo and evolving as characters.

Edit: This episode has also proved that I am totally over any and all gun related inconsistencies on The Walking Dead. Last season I would have been irritated that the same people who can head shot walkers with 25 yard pistol shots from the back of a speed pickup truck with ease (when Hershel's farm fell) are unable to hit the broadside of a barn with battle rifles, but now I'm just like whatever.

cheese fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 3, 2013

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
May I have some animated .gif's please, sir?

That episode was entertaining.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Dear Governor,

By the time you watch this, you'll be dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkY3RhPjI7k

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
My favorite part of the last episode was the kids saving Tyrice. They took some lessons from Carl.

Im going to call it here though... Carol stole the baby and smeared blood in the baby carrier so it looked like she was eaten by walkers.

Also, Carl was the one that killed the two people on Death Row and Carol walked in on him doing it and covered up for him.

:toxx:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Svaha posted:

Here you go:

It's amazing how much everyone does and doesn't look like the characters at the same time.

Tyrese apparently found the Twinkie reserves in the jail.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

enraged_camel posted:

I think my favorite scene was Carol 2.0 shooting the army chick in the head.

They were strong girls who didn't hesitate, the army chick was weak.
Which is amusing after the pep talk she gave to her girlfriend when Hershel took a katana to the neck.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Nthman posted:

My favorite part of the last episode was the kids saving Tyrice. They took some lessons from Carl.

Yeah mine too. The kids in this show are either really annoying and ruining everything, or doing a better job than the adults.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nthman posted:

Mine too but it's really going to take away from that moment if we find out that Judith's really dead and those kids just abandoned a baby to go fight.

I'm surprised there's not a whole lot of hate here for Rick's decision to refuse the governor's demands without even discussing it with the rest of the group. God, what an rear end in a top hat. He knows the governor is a crazy psychopath more than willing to kill the innocent. He knows that reasoning with him was a complete waste of time the last time he tried to do it. He knows that he has no leverage. He's not the one with hostages. How can he be so stupid? How could he not have seen what was coming? Congratulations, Rick, you didn't want to leave, now you're leaving anyway and you got people killed again.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

My favorite moment in this episode varies between people here thinking The Governor shot Michonne and people asking where he got a sword.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Mine too but it's really going to take away from that moment if we find out that Judith's really dead and those kids just abandoned a baby to go fight.

I'm surprised there's not a whole lot of hate here for Rick's decision to refuse the governor's demands without even discussing it with the rest of the group. God, what an rear end in a top hat. He knows the governor is a crazy psychopath more than willing to kill the innocent. He knows that reasoning with him was a complete waste of time the last time he tried to do it. He knows that he has no leverage. He's not the one with hostages. How can he be so stupid? How could he not have seen what was coming? Congratulations, Rick, you didn't want to leave, now you're leaving anyway and you got people killed again.
He was trying to convince the other dozen armed people who are presumably more rational than ole One Eye.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

They were strong girls who didn't hesitate, the army chick was weak.
Which is amusing after the pep talk she gave to her girlfriend when Hershel took a katana to the neck.

I like the irony of her being unable to pull the trigger on children after that speech, tbh.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Surlaw posted:

He was trying to convince the other dozen armed people who are presumably more rational than ole One Eye.

They weren't the ones with a sword to his friend's neck. Of all the possible scenarios, the one where the people go "Hey Brian, he has a point" and the governor responds "Okay, if you say so. You win, Rick." was the least likely thing to happen. There was 0% chance of that.

Everyone watching the show had to know when Rick said "All of us live here or none of us live here" that Hershel was a dead man. That was a death sentence.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 3, 2013

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
One thing that left me confused was how rick did the sword thing into the governor, did anyone see how that worked?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Super Ninja Fish posted:

A few points:

1. Rick did have leverage. He had the prison with its walls intact and people with guns defending it. That's leverage.

2. The Governor chose Rick to parley with him. Rick's answer to that was "I don't make the decisions here anymore." The Governor's answer was "gently caress you, you're making it now."

3. Did you miss the part where Rick offered to share the prison, with that speech about how "we get to come back" & all? It's almost as if he was taking an moral stance of sorts instead of embracing the bullshit survival-for-me-and-mine attitude that permeates the world of the show.

"geeze rick, why didn't you just roll over and die when the bad man came to steal your home?"

verybad fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 3, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ricks people had good positions and were ready to fight. It was as good a place as any. If Rick left the Gov would have just chased them down anyway.

Also, when a colonialist super power tries to take your land ( the gov even had an American tank!) the best thing to do I guess is take a moral stand against it? I don't know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know what my biggest problem with the whole "Carol was covering for the girl killer" theory is? It seems to be born out of people's hope that Carol hadn't lost it and become a killer but instead was still being a mother protecting "her kids." But it requires that you accept that Carol, in her kind and motherly nature, would be willing to leave those girls with no "mother" (including the presumably innocent one), would leave a dangerous and unhealthy child capable of murder in the camp without warning anyone, and wouldn't trust even Rick (a super protective parent himself) to be willing to look for a better solution for dealing with the girl than death or banishment.

Like, seriously. If you believe Carol is covering for the kid than don't you also believe she's kind of an rear end in a top hat who has no faith or regard for the people she's been surviving with for all this time? Including the other kid?

Because if Carol comes back and says "I lied, that little girl killed them and I was covering for her. I hope she didn't kill anyone else since I failed to warn you about her issues" then I'll hate her anyway. I'll also hate the Walking Dead writers for writing something really dumb.

My personal money is that the girl fed the zombies, Carol killed the people, and someone else entirely mutilated the animal. I'm of the opinion that not only is the girl a red herring but so is the idea that these things are connected at all (Rick even presents that notion right before all hell breaks loose). I, like others, am slightly leaning towards Bob being the animal mutilator/psycho since that box was weird and if I remember correctly he was pretty vague about why his previous groups fell apart. But I also think its interesting that Tyresse might have gotten isolated with the girls after he saw them kill people and before anyone could let him in on Carol confessing as the killer. That seems like it might be a setup for him to discover the girl mutilating animals and then leaping to the conclusion that she killed the sick people.

Or I guess it could be a setup for the little girl killing Tyreese in his sleep but again I think that's really stupid.

Surlaw posted:

Oh, I think Rick was sincerely hoping he could reason with the Governor and that the Governor could change and recover the same way he had. See, that's the problem Rick has. Its also the problem Herschell, Andrea, Martinez, many of this show's viewers who believed in "Brian's" "retribution", and The Governor himself had. They made the mistake of thinking that the Governor was a good man pushed to do bad things like Rick was. In reality the Governor is a psychopath and just about the only people in this show who have truly recognized and verbalized that have been Merle and Michonne.

Also, anyone who actually thinks the Governor was going to let them all walk away from the prison is either very, very forgiving or very, very forgetful.

"Hey, Army Pilot. Tell me where your friends are so I can get help and return you to them. I won't kill them and you and steal your stuff."
"Sure, Michonne. You can just leave Woodbury any time you want. I won't send Merle out to kill you."
"Don't worry, Andrea. I just want to talk to Rick. I won't attack his people, set traps for him, hide a gun under the table, or torture some of your friends."
"Ok, Rick. Just give me Michonne and I'll drop this whole thing. I won't order Martinez and my men to kill everyone in sight."

I'd bet money that if Rick had taken the Governor's deal and they all packed up and left that the Governor would have sent Mitch out to finish them off the same way he had sent Martinez and Merle to do the same in the past. Rick knew this and its why surrender was never really an option. Not to mention that he hadn't pulled a gun or told the Governor to gently caress off. He was trying to reason with him and resolve this mess, and most certainly hopeful that the people with the guns were listening too. The Governor killing Hershell was somewhat sudden, and I should note well before his stated "sundown" deadline.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I keep remember Bob saying how he was the only one left out of the past two groups he was with. Couldn't that be because he was a serial killer who was taking them down one by one?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Daryl is hosed next season.
Rick only had him, Carol, and Hersh to confide too how he was really feeling about things.
Now he will be getting the full Rick angst with no safety googles on.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna forget everything that's happened so far by Feb.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Where are all the prisoners' vehicles? You'd think after getting shot in the leg Rick would be all like "CARL! Let us get to the HYUNDAI because of its fuel efficiency, style, and off-road capability!"

I don't want to believe fuel was an issue at this time because they had a generator running lights in the prison basement for some reason.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cbear posted:

I keep remember Bob saying how he was the only one left out of the past two groups he was with. Couldn't that be because he was a serial killer who was taking them down one by one?

It could be, but that would be pretty dumb. There's been nothing in the show to suggest he's anything more than a decent guy with an alcohol problem.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Good episode though I feel like Rick's group got off light. Pretty much everyone in the governor's new group died other than Lilly and her sister.

Agreed and I found this pretty annoying. Specifically Rick and Tyreese, who should have been killed several times each. Due to the speed of this thread I'm sure the tropes of "people with assault rifles and tanks can't aim" have been thoroughly explored though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kirkman said in Talking dead they (the writers) are having an increasingly hard time of killing people off.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

moist turtleneck posted:

Where are all the prisoners' vehicles? You'd think after getting shot in the leg Rick would be all like "CARL! Let us get to the HYUNDAI because of its fuel efficiency, style, and off-road capability!"

I don't want to believe fuel was an issue at this time because they had a generator running lights in the prison basement for some reason.
Speaking of Rick being shot in the leg, it seemed weird to me that he took cover behind the bus, then the little army rolled past without anyone spotting him letting him jump out on the Gov. The army then carried on going leaving it's "leader" in a fist fight to the death, maybe they didn't hear or notice because of the noise and activity but they saw him hide there and saw he was armed. Clearing behind that bus is the first thing I would have done as I went by so I don't get shot in the back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

War Bunny posted:

Agreed and I found this pretty annoying. Specifically Rick and Tyreese, who should have been killed several times each. Due to the speed of this thread I'm sure the tropes of "people with assault rifles and tanks can't aim" have been thoroughly explored though.

There was probably some plot armor protecting a few people in a few situations like when Tyreese was pinned down or Rick was exposed but overall I think its totally reasonable that the prison group came out way better than the Governor's. Once again the Governor led a group in with a lovely plan. The prison people had cover and escape plans while the Gov's people had to come to them through a flail of gunfire. Plus let's remember that we saw at least one of the Gov's people abandon the fight (Tara) and another survive it (Lily). Those happen to be 2 of the people we knew so they got focus but that doesn't mean more red shirts didn't split or survive. This is the "all the Woodbury people died of the flu" all over again. There's dozens of unnamed characters on this show and assuming they're all dead because the show doesn't show each and every one's fate is silly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It would have totally been a better show if some unnamed Gov partisan iced Rick behind the bus.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

This one would be better if the first two shots of the Gov's face had both eyes.

And Carl's stunt double being a 31 year old woman isn't outrageous, most stunt doubles for child actors are women - it's much easier to find a woman who is roughly an appropriate height, and obviously due to the inherent risk involved you're not going to have child stunt doubles.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Crankit posted:

One thing that left me confused was how rick did the sword thing into the governor, did anyone see how that worked?

Dude, really? That was Michonne.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
There's only four people left from the initial camp in the series. Only two left from Hershel's farm.

I wouldn't call that a lack of success at killing off characters, but maybe I'm wrong. I think that constant death, while a part of the world, would actively interfere with the longer term stories that the show (separate from the comics, where death is a lot more random and there's a lot more rape and cannibalism, you decide what you want to watch as a show). I'm willing to deal with plot armor for a decent story over cheap and constant drama through gory main character deaths thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, no show kills off more cast members than TWD. Will nothing slake your bloodlust?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

euphronius posted:

Kirkman said in Talking dead they (the writers) are having an increasingly hard time of killing people off.
Well now we're getting down to the core of people from the beginning (Rick, Carl, Daryl, Carol, Glenn), so it's going to get progressively more difficult. They at least brought in a bunch of new people to replace characters like Andrea, Dale, Herschel, T-Dog, etc.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Redundant posted:

Speaking of Rick being shot in the leg, it seemed weird to me that he took cover behind the bus, then the little army rolled past without anyone spotting him letting him jump out on the Gov. The army then carried on going leaving it's "leader" in a fist fight to the death, maybe they didn't hear or notice because of the noise and activity but they saw him hide there and saw he was armed. Clearing behind that bus is the first thing I would have done as I went by so I don't get shot in the back.

There has to be a 1 on 1 between Luke and Vader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well now we're getting down to the core of people from the beginning (Rick, Carl, Daryl, Carol, Glenn), so it's going to get progressively more difficult. They at least brought in a bunch of new people to replace characters like Andrea, Dale, Herschel, T-Dog, etc.

Daryl is the only one who's egregious to me, to be honest. That poo poo with the rebar zombie was way too much.

• Locked thread