Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Emilio posted:

Like management, LMAO.

What are your management doing going near your network equipment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Seriously. I'd tell them I'd pull any configs they need to see, but at that time we're going to have a conversation about why they think they need to see it. Gotta manage upward.

If it's really a requirement that people without the skills to configure a router using the cli would need access to my configs, I'd suggest they purchase Solarwinds NCM.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

Bob Morales posted:

Is Perl still the way to go if I want to make some scripts to automate pulling information from a couple switches?

I found Expect is pretty easy to use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Emilio posted:

What information do you want to pull?

Like when a support tech says "next time X happens send me the output of xxxxx and yyyyy"

I'm actually using Adtran hardware and Net:Telnet:Cisco sorta works

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
I put ssh keys on my switches so I can run commands remotely and it sends the output back to me. Handy when you have to run 'show tech' on a 7k and it blasts you with 700MB of data.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
can't you | redirect tftp:// ?

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Emilio posted:

Can you recommend any web front ends with a decent interface for this? We would like to use rancid, we have people who are not strong on CLI.

Web front end for which part? Viewing the configurations and differences we use WebSVN. You need to decide on CVS or SVN for version control, and then there are a few options for the web front end in viewing. Web front ends for actual management of RANCID don't really / cleanly exist. It is something you setup and only mess with when you add/remove devices.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Web front end for which part? Viewing the configurations and differences we use WebSVN. You need to decide on CVS or SVN for version control, and then there are a few options for the web front end in viewing.

Or git, if you're open to the rancid-git fork.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Bob Morales posted:

Is Perl still the way to go if I want to make some scripts to automate pulling information from a couple switches?

Echoing that expect is really the way you want to go. TCL is a good thing to learn anyway as you can run it on the Nexus range, use it to write EEM events and if you ever get any F5 gear you can use it to write iRules.

That said Perl is used for everything else under the sun in network admin land. Learn both! Use both!

abigserve fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 29, 2013

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

I have a couple of MPLS VPNs from the same ISP running on routers that for various reasons I want to consolidate onto an ASR 1002-X (I cannot collapse the two VPNs yet, nor do I know when I will be able to for a variety of reasons). As the ISP will drop any routes it with its own ASN in the as-path what are my options for routing? At the moment all I can think of is:

1. use an aggregate-address summary or redistribute into an IGP in order to "clean" the as-path,
2. use an egress route-map on each neighbor to prevent routes containing the ISP ASN from being advertised then rely on a default route to get VPN1>VPN2 traffic back to the ASR and vice versa, or
3. see if the ISP will configure accept-own to avoid the routes being dropped.

I'm leaning towards 2 as it seems like it will be the easiest to configure/maintain (and will be obvious to anyone else what is going on later), but just wanted to see if I'd missed anything obvious that might be easier.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Static to null0 with network statements. Filter via communities if needed. Am I missing something?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So I have an interesting challenge. I want to deploy a bunch of routers to branch offices that will be acting as APs (I'm doing a lot of crazy DMVPN stuff on the back end to support the APs, but that will be for another post). Now these branch routers need to be plug in play to whatever internet service is available. That means most likely no public IPs. So the WAN interface IP of the router will be acquired via DHCP. Of course the branch router will be acting as a DHCP server to clients, but what if the acquired DHCP address overlaps with defined scope in the router?

Is there a workaround? Because obviously if that happens, I won't have access to the router to fix it, at least not easily.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Put all your internal clients in a VRF with a default pointed to the global interface?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

tortilla_chip posted:

Put all your internal clients in a VRF with a default pointed to the global interface?

Haha. This simple project is using all the exotic features.

Lets see here. From top-down:

Flex-Connect: APs register centrally, but route traffic locally.
DMVPN: To all Flex Connect APs to reach the WLC through a firewall without individual per-site HUB access-lists
VRFs: to take care of potentially overlapping internal addressing with provider addressing.

Now, can a cisco 881 do per vrf dynamic natting, and how will I "leak" the default-route interface into the user VRF? I've only leaked networks, never interfaces, obviously without putting the interface in the user vrf.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I'm not sure you can. Or, at least, I'm not sure you can do it dynamically.

In my experience of operating a large DMVPN environment on mostly DHCP addressed Internet links, you have to get pretty unlucky to collide rfc1918 10/24 on the inside, for example, with the same on the outside.

Maybe you could do something unusual, like redistribute connected into BGP with a route map to set a community, and then leak based on the community? That gives me a headache, just thinking about it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Rather than make it too complicated (heh), I think I'll just have to assume that most providers will be giving out either a 10/8 or a 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.0 So I'll make all my offices 192.168.97.0/24's

The Class B range will be for my "interesting" DMVPN traffic hubs something like 172.18.0.0/28 and working up. Maybe even through a 172.20.255.0/32 for management loopbacks, who knows...

I'll avoid 10/8 all together as that is corporate and hub site addressing.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Is it that super common for ISPs to be handing out rfc1918 space and NATing customers now? Most stuff I deal in is typically static IP but any dhcp assigned addresses from, say, Charter are always public, even if some rfc1918 stuff is visible in the traceroute in the ISPs network.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
For my specific case I'm often dealing with "business class internet" from say Comcast, or whoever the ISP is. This isn't for a datacenter, or anything. I also won't be on location to do configuration. So I want to configure these as generic as possible so that a non-technical user can just plug the router in and get managed wireless service.

I'm building management capability into the router so that as soon as it has internet connectivity I'll be able to login remotely and make any changes as needed, for example taking the provider router out of the equation and have our router be the the customer edge device.

But I won't always have that option.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
25.0.0.0/8 is a public, unused space that you could use internally, just don't announce it in BGP. We use 25/8 for our Carrier Grade NAT stuff.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea I often use 7.0.0.0/8 for the same thing.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
If I have three subinterfaces on my router, will a QoS policy applied to the physical interface cover all three subinterfaces?

Our SIP trunk runs on one of the subinterfaces, with Internet traffic on the other two. I'm looking for a way to prioritize the SIP traffic.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I suspect this is a liscensing issue or something but, how do I do ipsec on an 881 running 15.2 code?

code:
BOSIGW#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C800 Software (C800-UNIVERSALK9_NPE-M), Version 15.2(4)M4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

BOSIGW#sh license 
Index 1 Feature: advipservices_npe              
        Period left: Life time
        License Type: Permanent
        License State: Active, In Use
        License Count: Non-Counted
        License Priority: Medium
Index 2 Feature: advsecurity_npe                
        License State: Active, Not in Use

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Filthy Lucre posted:

If I have three subinterfaces on my router, will a QoS policy applied to the physical interface cover all three subinterfaces?

Our SIP trunk runs on one of the subinterfaces, with Internet traffic on the other two. I'm looking for a way to prioritize the SIP traffic.

Yes it will.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

I suspect this is a liscensing issue or something but, how do I do ipsec on an 881 running 15.2 code?

code:
BOSIGW#sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C800 Software (C800-UNIVERSALK9_NPE-M), Version 15.2(4)M4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

BOSIGW#sh license 

You are using a no payload encryption license (Index 1 Feature: advipservices_npe) so I don't think you get access to ipsec. You'll need a license that permits payload encryption.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

code:
BOSIGW#sh ver

BOSIGW#sh license 

Is the code on the flash universalk9 or universalk9_npe? If the latter, you may need to load the universalk9 code and hopefully your license doesn't have the encryption features restricted.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ruro posted:

You are using a no payload encryption license (Index 1 Feature: advipservices_npe) so I don't think you get access to ipsec. You'll need a license that permits payload encryption.

He has the advsecurity license so he should be good from a licensing standpoint. He'll just need the k9 image instead of the npe, c880data-universalk9-mz.152-4.M4.bin:

http://software.cisco.com/download/...&reltype=latest

(Or just run M5 instead of M4 cause it's baller)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea I has completely forgotten that the NPE was the new approved code for export. I loaded 15.4, and i had access to IPSEC features, but I'm not sure if my licenses are good to go now, or if I'm in evaluation period.

I have the tunnels configured but I'm not using them currently I'm not sure what this means, but I don't think I like it.

code:
BOSIGW#sh license feature 
Feature name             Enforcement  Evaluation  Subscription   Enabled  RightToUse 
advipservices            no           yes         no             no       yes        
advsecurity              no           no          no             no       no         
ios-ips-update           yes          yes         yes            no       yes

What license does IPSEC require?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Did anyone else have a hell of a time with the new ASA NAT commands? I got handed a new ASA 5515-x running 9.0 to replace a 5500 running 8.0 that my client couldn't manage to configure. It took me damned while to figure out how to do a simple port forward on it. I got it now, but it was a bastard

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My first experience with new NAT was painful. 8.3 hadn't been out for very long and we had a client's ASA crash without a backup so it had to be rebuilt from scratch. It came with 8.3 and I had to set up 30 L2L VPN tunnels, an RA tunnel plus a bunch of static NAT's on it, on a saturday. Took me about 6 hours :(

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Sepist posted:

My first experience with new NAT was painful. 8.3 hadn't been out for very long and we had a client's ASA crash without a backup so it had to be rebuilt from scratch. It came with 8.3 and I had to set up 30 L2L VPN tunnels, an RA tunnel plus a bunch of static NAT's on it, on a saturday. Took me about 6 hours :(

If you want some real comedy, go look at the 8.3(x) release notes.

quote:

CSCte46460

Post migration ACL allows traffic that was denied prior

CSCte70187

Real IP logs show successful ACL migration even if ACL is deleted

CSCte92758

NAT: Migration failed for DNS re-write with static PAT.

Good times on 8.0->8.3 upgrades. After those atrocities we just started doing scratch rebuilds when upgrading customers out of 8.0/8.2.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

ragzilla posted:

If you want some real comedy, go look at the 8.3(x) release notes.

Good times on 8.0->8.3 upgrades. After those atrocities we just started doing scratch rebuilds when upgrading customers out of 8.0/8.2.

This is pretty much what I ran into. The client tried to import the config from the old one and it pretty much told him to gently caress off. I ended up building it from scratch. After figuring out the new commands, the next hardest part was removing a shitload of unnecessary NAT rules and actually making the network object names somewhat meaningful instead of the ip_address-obj stuff that was in there.

I think I cut the number of rules in half and it accomplishes the same functionality.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Powercrazy posted:

Yea I has completely forgotten that the NPE was the new approved code for export. I loaded 15.4, and i had access to IPSEC features, but I'm not sure if my licenses are good to go now, or if I'm in evaluation period.

I have the tunnels configured but I'm not using them currently I'm not sure what this means, but I don't think I like it.

code:
BOSIGW#sh license feature 
Feature name             Enforcement  Evaluation  Subscription   Enabled  RightToUse 
advipservices            no           yes         no             no       yes        
advsecurity              no           no          no             no       no         
ios-ips-update           yes          yes         yes            no       yes

What license does IPSEC require?

IPSec is part of Advanced Security.

Advaned IP Services is Advanced Security + SP Services.

Use advipservices if you're licensed, if not use advsecurity.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Don't even gently caress around with ASAs anymore, if you can help it. I mean it.

Word on the inside is that the Sourcefire products are going to become the successor anyhow.

I type this from our corporate HQ, and I just swung some VPNs over from ASA5545s to Palo Alto 3050s, and it was such a joy working (again) with the Palos.

Phase 2 negotiations? They really don't care, unless you tell them to care. Bring up a logical tunnel interface, set the IKE parameters, autokey the ipsec tunnel, and you can route whatever you'd like over the tunnel. It's analogous to routing over a point to point link, and it's a great time saver. No need to rebuilt P2 parameters.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

I need a new job. I work with epic pieces of entitled poo poo who have been doign this work for 4 years and think Cisco Nexus and ASA's are the best thing ever and they are currently fighting F5 integration for ACE-30.

I work with idiots. Help me.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Emilio posted:

I need a new job. I work with epic pieces of entitled poo poo who have been doign this work for 4 years and think Cisco Nexus and ASA's are the best thing ever and they are currently fighting F5 integration for ACE-30.

I work with idiots. Help me.

The best thing we did recently was ditch our ACE-20 farm for Viprions. Bloody brilliant kit.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

ASDM makes me crosseyed. This is right, right? ( packet traces good)

code:

object network RDP
 host 192.168.100.2

object service 3389
 service tcp source eq 3389

nat (inside,outside) source static RDP interface service 3389 3389

access-list rdp-3389 extended permit tcp any host 192.168.100.2 eq 3389

access-group rdp-3389 in interface outside

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 4, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I really don't understand the 100% cisco mentality that corporations have. Ace is a terrible end of life piece of poo poo, and even when it was "good" it was really just a step up from PBR on a router. I don't think it's changed to much since then.

ASA is fine, if you use it as a firewall, but there are absolutely better firewalls out there.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

VTP and CDP on switches, especially running VOIP is awfully nice. I agree though, I loving abhor their firewalls

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Powercrazy posted:

ASA is fine, if you use it as a firewall, but there are absolutely better firewalls out there.

This would be true if it did loving BGP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Powercrazy posted:

I really don't understand the 100% cisco mentality that corporations have.

Cisco reps have a ton of companies in their pockets, at a high level it is pretty corrupt. I've said it before and I'll say it again 6 months later as it is still true, our Cisco guys take my boss, my coworker and I to lunch every single day. The bills are always $150+, just so we keep our network all cisco. The other departments have the same poo poo going on.