Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Wreath challenge accepted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

I think the point is to let them be seen during the fire inspection, so that they can be labeled fire hazards, so that you have justification in removing them.

Ding ding ding. See if you can get an inspection scheduled while that facilities dude is on vacation or something. The problem will solve itself.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

chia posted:

:golfclap:

Prosthetic_Mind you should move to Finland/Sweden/Norway, the weather here is like made for you plus you get at least 5 weeks of paid vacation a year and all the other cool Soviet European benefits like healthcare.

Don't think I haven't thought about it. I need to pick up a few more years of experience first to be worth hiring all the way out from the US, then I need to make up my mind which Nordic state I actually want to live in. Last time I looked at it I was leaning Norway. My current job is pretty nice though, I get 4 weeks of vacation a year, and the project I'm working on seems like it's set to be a smash hit. If they don't give me a promotion soon I'll probably start looking elsewhere though, I'm due for one in the next couple months.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
[quote=""evobatman"" post=""422673895""]
Wreath challenge accepted!

[/quote]

Woah is that cardboard? Do you know how expensive that is?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I have a zip up sweater at work for when I'm cold.

We have Dell-sponsored duvet vests in a variety of sizes. I don't know when we got them, but they're a life saver when working in the server rooms or late at night when the HVAC is in "night mode".

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Is it normal for second/third line issue to work their way up the chain but somehow get back to first-line support again? My manager said (Heavily paraphrased!) "Hi Alex, here's this problem you should know about and one that's gone on for months, please fix this in the next 2 hours. I know that none of the senior engineers including myself have fixed this but we have a meeting with the client today so this needs to be done."

Thank goodness for YOTJ.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 3, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Do these people even read what they type? How can he possibly expect you to solve that?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Kachunkachunk posted:

Do these people even read what they type? How can he possibly expect you to solve that?

I have edited my post to reflect the hyperbole. He actually said "We need to show that we're responding to this and not just as if we're performing firstline diagnosis", buuut if you give a problem like that to a first-line engineer I'm not too sure what I can do :(

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
They can say it's still being worked on and blame it on DrAlexanderTobacco.
The management way of problem solving.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey DrAlexanderTobacco what's going on this ticket? I see you touched it once, therefore it's your ticket and you should know everything about it.

Why yes I see that all you did was re-assign the ticket to the proper group since it was sent to you in error, so what's the update?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ExtraFox posted:

Amazon is here to rescue you: http://www.amazon.com/Smoko-Toast-USB-Handwarmers/dp/B006FYRMM4

The ones at the Amazon link were the actual style I got. I think Smoko put out a few different styles of face on the toast plush parts.

Fantastic. And yeah, I'd rather have the sleepy-face toast anyways.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

It's a really lovely issue as well. Satellite office (Managed premises, Regus etc.) with a third-party internet connection we do not have access to, who are working over the internet connecting onto Terminal Servers.

Every so often the connection slows to a crawl, they can type a sentence into MSWord and it'll take 5 seconds or so to actually appear on the screen. Problem is that every time we get a call about it, it's resolved itself. We only have access to the client PCs, but not the router/firewall. So, I can run basic checks, traceroutes etc but apart from that I can't really suggest anything.

What I've done today is give them my mobile number (eep) and asked them to call me, bypassing our helpdesk, so I can log onto their PCs instantly.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What I've done today is give them my mobile number (eep) and asked them to call me, bypassing our helpdesk, so I can log onto their PCs instantly.

You poor, dumb bastard. :(

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:cripes:

Well, I guess everyone has to make that mistake once.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tehloki posted:

Why does every woman in my office have a space heater? Do they not make any women's clothing that is warm enough to wear in a 70 degree environment that is acceptable in a "business casual" workplace? Do women lose body heat faster than men?

This is relevant to a lot of tickets where the entire sales floor will yell POWER OUTAGE and I'll go around and unplug all the space heaters and turn the (single, for an entire ~20 seat room) breaker back on only to find them using the heaters again 20 minutes later. Sometimes the heater is just pointed directly at the computer case, as if to spite me.
I have a space heater in my office because my office and the one next to me (also an IT guy, go figure!) has no thermostat, and for some hosed-up reason, the HVAC vents in the ceiling for thos two offices actually only shunt out exhaust from THE REST of the HVAC in the building. So when it's cold outside and everybody's getting hot air, I've got cold on top of my head. It was 64 degrees in my office last week when I came in at 8, during that cold snap.

I'm totally against space heaters but gently caress it, if the COO thinks it's more important to get an IR sensor installed in the ceiling to stop one door from going off when he walks through it without pressing a button to turn off the alarm, I don't give a gently caress if the place burns to the ground because I left my heater on all weekend..

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I have a zip up sweater at work for when I'm cold.
I literally am wearing one of these right now, and a heavy sweater and wool-lined Ugg slippers. Last week, I was wearing flannel pajamas under my jeans. My office is loving cooooold.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 3, 2013

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

quote:

"You fool why would you give them your mob number"

Yeah, I know :(

On the bright side I'm only at my company for another 8 days. Then I'm off to a company that has a proper ticketing system in place with a proper first-second-third line queue, so if I get a problem on first-line I can escalate and it goes into a pool where every second line engineer sees it, everyone pitches in etc. At my current company, it's a case of forcing calls onto people, they either don't have the time or say stuff like "Check the config of the ASA and amend as needed", and it's like great, I have no experience with Firewall configs but thanks for the heads up!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Thank god for YOTJ.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People aren't going to stop calling you just because you left the company, especially if the helpdesk is poo poo.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Caged posted:

People aren't going to stop calling you just because you left the company, especially if the helpdesk is poo poo.

ding ding ding, we have a winner! At least try to charge them exorbitant consultant fees when they call.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

At my current company, it's a case of forcing calls onto people, they either don't have the time or say stuff like "Check the config of the ASA and amend as needed", and it's like great, I have no experience with Firewall configs but thanks for the heads up!

I loving hate when things I "escalate" get bounced back down like this. If I knew how to do that, I wouldn't have bumped it up to you in the first place!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ya'll need to get a Google Voice number that you give to clients so you can easily block them if needed.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

GreenNight posted:

Ya'll need to get a Google Voice number that you give to clients so you can easily block them if needed.

I think I got the last (xxx)-gently caress-YOU number for reasons similar. :shobon:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Caged posted:

I had to leave my first job over 2 years ago to finish school. I got a call last week from one of the managers who apparently still thinks I work there.

:downswords: Hey, larchesdanrew, I need you to come over and look at my computer.
:confused: Um... why?
:downswords: Cause it's messed up. Why, are you busy?
:confused: I'm... not... there anymore?
:downswords: Oh, well [old supervisor] told me to call you and have you come over and fix it.
:confused: You know I don't work there anymore, right?
:stare: .....Yes you do.
:confused: No, I don't. If I fix it, it'll be a $50 consultation fee and $150 per hour for labor.
:stare: Why should I have to pay you to do this? It's your job! Stop jerking me off and fix my loving computer!
:confused: *click*

For laughs, I called my old supervisor and asked why he would tell this guy to call me, which of course, he knew nothing about.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did he actually tell you to stop jerking him off or did he say jerking him around? Because the former is a lot funnier.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

The obvious explanation is that larchesdanrew left his old job to be a phone sex operator. His old manager found this out and decided to combine the two.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
"Stop jerking me off and fix my loving computer" should be on a T-shirt, or something.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Kachunkachunk posted:

"Stop jerking me off and fix my loving computer" should be on a T-shirt, or something.

This would have been perfect for the bottle opener USB drives

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kachunkachunk posted:

If someone from a former place of employment called me up and got rude trying to get me to come fix their poo poo, I'd probably tell THEM to jerk ME off before I might (yeah, right I wouldn't show up anyway,) show up. And make sure to tell them to put it into a ticket.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 3, 2013

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

coyo7e posted:

If someone from a former place of employment called me up and got rude trying to get me to come fix their poo poo, I'd probably tell THEM to jerk ME off before I might (yeah, right I wouldn't show up anyway,) show up. And make sure to tell them to put it into a ticket.

I think the funniest part is that someone thought that he was lying when he said "I don't work here anymore." That'd be a hell of an excuse if you DID still work there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You should send him a faux bill for wasting your time. Make sure to put on some sweet letterhead.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Caged posted:

Did he actually tell you to stop jerking him off or did he say jerking him around? Because the former is a lot funnier.

Yes, he did.

Kachunkachunk posted:

:shrug:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

GreenNight posted:

You should send him a faux bill for wasting your time. Make sure to put on some sweet letterhead.

This. At six times the price you quoted him. Watermark it with 5% opacity AWCII goatse as well.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So I got an email from the head of engineering saying he wants to purchase TeamViewer for his team to share desktops with engineers in India. This is the same as LogMeInRescue right? Why do I get the feeling this is a terrible idea.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

GreenNight posted:

So I got an email from the head of engineering saying he wants to purchase TeamViewer for his team to share desktops with engineers in India. This is the same as LogMeInRescue right? Why do I get the feeling this is a terrible idea.

Ill be honest, Teamviewer seems to work a lot better than logmein.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Teamviewer is alright.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Caged posted:

I think my response would have been something like.

"umm no, jerking you off would be more like $200 an hour, and illegal anyway"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So I put a ticket in,

Exchange Management Console just started acting up again, giving a 'Exception calling GetSteppablePipeline with 1 Arguments' error. This occurs about once a week or so. The bandaid fix is to adjust a registry entry and then it works properly again until a week or so later when it breaks again. I haven't been able to find a permanent solution, my googlefu has failed.

So I created a ticket for it and assigned the team lead to it, mostly because he got his shiny new 70-662 certification just before his Cuba trip. It took him all of 10 minutes to kick it back to me with "You figured out the short term fix, you can figure out the long term fix. Don't assign me tickets without my permission again or you will be written up"

I want to try it next time something comes up to see what I get written up for..

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

So I put a ticket in,

Exchange Management Console just started acting up again, giving a 'Exception calling GetSteppablePipeline with 1 Arguments' error. This occurs about once a week or so. The bandaid fix is to adjust a registry entry and then it works properly again until a week or so later when it breaks again. I haven't been able to find a permanent solution, my googlefu has failed.

So I created a ticket for it and assigned the team lead to it, mostly because he got his shiny new 70-662 certification just before his Cuba trip. It took him all of 10 minutes to kick it back to me with "You figured out the short term fix, you can figure out the long term fix. Don't assign me tickets without my permission again or you will be written up"

I want to try it next time something comes up to see what I get written up for..

What a pure toxic environment that must be.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

So I put a ticket in,

What the hell do the senior people at your place actually do? Aside from kick every ticket back down to you, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Inspector_666 posted:

What the hell do the senior people at your place actually do? Aside from kick every ticket back down to you, that is.

Blacksword works primarily remotely, I'm assuming the main office is banana planet.

• Locked thread