Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

BLARGHLE posted:

I got a pretty drat big one at mylhbs, but that menards thing looks pretty good too, if you're using it less like a bag and more like a big strainer.
The paint strainer bags fit decently around 5 gallon pots and fit perfectly in the strainer basket of my 10.5 gallon kettle. Like you say as well, they also work over the mouth of a fermenting bucket while pouring in the wort from the kettle to strain out loose hops.

If you're looking for a bag that's a little more sturdy, wilserbrewer is really popular on HBT. If you're in Europe, maybe CustomBIAB?

There's also directions on HBT/the internet on how to make your own bag out of Wal-Mart curtains, if you want to go the DIY route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

BLARGHLE posted:

Speaking of HBSS, when is the due date or whatever? I have three things I'm bottling this week, at least two of which I plan to pass along to my santee.

Any time around Xmas is legit.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Got results back from my first beer to be judged by a panel, was my 3rd brew that I brewed back in august and they tried it after about 3 weeks conditioning at start of November. http://i.imgur.com/x51ehxP.jpg

Really happy with the results, specially for being my 3rd brew. I just brewed my 7th last weekend. :toot:

I'm planning on re-brewing it again sometime soon but will drop using cocoa nibs in secondary and remove vanilla and add 2-3% smoked malt to the grain bill.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 3, 2013

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

nmfree posted:

If you're looking for a bag that's a little more sturdy, wilserbrewer is really popular on HBT. If you're in Europe, maybe CustomBIAB?

There's also directions on HBT/the internet on how to make your own bag out of Wal-Mart curtains, if you want to go the DIY route.

Those wilserbrewer bags are really good. He custom makes them to fit your pot and they're really strong and won't scorch. I've been biab brewing for a few batches now, it's really easy. I get my grain double milled at my lhbs and get around 75% efficiency. Mash pH is also something you should keep a watch on using biab as using the entire volume of H2O during the mash can keep your pH pretty high resulting in some tannin extraction. The extent of the pH issue depends on your water profile etc etc.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It went to that address on Thurs, I resent it. Check your spam folder.

Got it this time, Thanks! Now I need to go make some decisions.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

hellfaucet posted:

Any time around Xmas is legit.

Along these lines, a lot of people are busy in the holidays, some don't even ship until after New Years. Obviously people would rather receive stuff earlier, but it's not like you'll be blacklisted on the thread if you ship late.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I know there's some Chicago brewers here, does anyone buy grains at Brew & Grow or another LHBS and get them crushed there? I got some Caramel 20L for an extract batch this weekend and crushed it, but I don't think the crush was particularly good, there were lots of uncracked grains. I just ran it through again and it looked pretty good. For extract/steeping grains I'm not worried about it obviously, but I'm about to go all-grain and wondering if I should always double-crush, or if I'm just asking for a stuck sparge. Going to be mashing in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler with a bazooka tube.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

more falafel please posted:

I know there's some Chicago brewers here, does anyone buy grains at Brew & Grow or another LHBS and get them crushed there? I got some Caramel 20L for an extract batch this weekend and crushed it, but I don't think the crush was particularly good, there were lots of uncracked grains. I just ran it through again and it looked pretty good. For extract/steeping grains I'm not worried about it obviously, but I'm about to go all-grain and wondering if I should always double-crush, or if I'm just asking for a stuck sparge. Going to be mashing in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler with a bazooka tube.

I also have a 10gal Igloo and a bazooka tube. I double crush almost all the time (the mill at my LHBS hasn't been the best, although they just upgraded) and I've never got a stuck sparge.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
would double crushing for BIAB increase your efficiency?

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Yes. You could crush the malt down to pretty much a powder for BIAB since you're not relying on the husks to act as filter beds during lautering. A finer crushed malt is more easily hydrated which leads to easier/more thorough starch conversion.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Jerome Louis posted:

Yes. You could crush the malt down to pretty much a powder for BIAB since you're not relying on the husks to act as filter beds during lautering. A finer crushed malt is more easily hydrated which leads to easier/more thorough starch conversion.

I'll also add this. BIAB is awesome and I think this is going to be the way I do my batches (minus the extract Kolschs that I make for my wife every month or so) from now on. The first batch is half gone (Munich Helles-minimash) and it was awwwwweeeesssssooooooommmmeeee.... I have another test subject (a Sam Adams Alpine Spring clone minimash) in the chamber that I'm thinking of pulling out since it's been sitting there for 2-3 months now. My experience with the mini mash was that it keeps temp pretty well in Texas heat and only needed a boost in heat every 20-30 minutes (since I wasn't wrapping with jackets) through the use of more burning gas for 2-3 minutes.

Having done two "mini-mash" batches in the last 2-3 months. I'm thinking of going all grain by dropping my 8-10 pounds of grain into the warmed water sitting in my turkey fryer pot. When the sugars have been extracted, I'll be pulling my bag out, putting it in a bucket and "washing down" to get the rest of the extracted sugars to increase efficiency. So with that in mind:

Should I be asking Austin Homebrew to double crush or finely crush my grains when I order from them again in a few weeks? I assume this is a thing that they wouldn't mind doing.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
A hand crank grain mill thing is tops on my Xmas list. Can't wait for it! I dont even care if its hard and a pain in the butt. The doc says I need better blood pressure anyways.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Along these lines, a lot of people are busy in the holidays, some don't even ship until after New Years. Obviously people would rather receive stuff earlier, but it's not like you'll be blacklisted on the thread if you ship late.

Noting: In the history of HBSS we have not had one reported bad santa, and most people post pictures of their yuletide bounty. I highly recommend doing that so that we know you received it and we can maintain our record.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
In our SS package, can we tell them who we are?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Marshmallow Blue posted:

To add to what's been said, I just did Northern Brewer's dry stout kit this morning with BIAB. I re-crushed the grain using my cuisinart - didn't feel like getting the messy old Corona out. I came up with 5.7 gallons at 1.050 - around 88% efficiency. Estimated OG for the kit at whatever efficiency they guesstimate is 1.042 for 5 gallons. They say Maris Otter is good for efficiency and I guess it is. I also used a syringe of hopshot for the first time - not a drop of wort lost to hop trub, it was the highlight of my day.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Marshmallow Blue posted:

A hand crank grain mill thing is tops on my Xmas list. Can't wait for it! I dont even care if its hard and a pain in the butt. The doc says I need better blood pressure anyways.

My crank grinder was a pain so I tossed the hand crank and threaded in a standard hexhead bolt. Now with the proper socket attachment on my drill it is no longer a pain.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
My BIAB Tips:
1. For big brews, I actually like to split my grain into two smaller bags. A 17 lb grain bag can weigh 35+ lbs when filled w/ wort, which can be a pain in the rear end to lift above your head, out of the pot on your oven.

2. For your sparge, I really like to just drop the grain bags into my bottling bucket, then pouring hot water over them. Then, I set my bottling bucket onto something tall, open the valve, and walk away and let the water trickle out. This is super nifty because it can often take 30 minutes for all the water to drain from the bag, and you don't want to sit there holding the bag during that whole time.

3. A friend and I have tried many different methods about 10 different times and have never hit better than 65% efficiency. YMMV, but plan ahead with your recipes!

LaserWash posted:

Should I be asking Austin Homebrew to double crush or finely crush my grains when I order from them again in a few weeks? I assume this is a thing that they wouldn't mind doing.
Yes, they'll do this for you and it certainly helps.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Marshmallow Blue posted:

In our SS package, can we tell them who we are?

It's encouraged.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Anyone have a preferred guide for wiring up an STC-1000 for a chest freezer fermentation chamber? Going to work on this tonight and I'm not super confident with wiring stuff.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Imaduck posted:

3. A friend and I have tried many different methods about 10 different times and have never hit better than 65% efficiency. YMMV, but plan ahead with your recipes!

Do you squeeze your grain bag? Get some kind of grate (I use a baking cooling rack) and rest your bag on top like this when you start lautering. Get some kind of protection for your hands and squeeze the piss out of it until you can't get another drop to come out. Then start your sparge.

When I started squeezing it took my efficiency from 65 to 80+. I'm considering getting a big BIAB bag and using it in my rubbermaid MLT so I can squeeze on my other system.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jerome Louis posted:

Anyone have a preferred guide for wiring up an STC-1000 for a chest freezer fermentation chamber? Going to work on this tonight and I'm not super confident with wiring stuff.

I did this one: http://www.hoptomology.com/2012/02/06/how-to-build-your-own-temperature-controller-box/

It uses a GFCI outlet, so a few caveats:
1) It's just for cooling, you can't rig the other outlet up separately for heat
2) GFCI outlets ship tripped, so it won't work until you hit the RESET button while everything's wired up nice.
3) You have to connect your wires to the correct hot/neutral terminals on the outlet, basically one set is for input and the other set is for output for daisy chain.

You can probably get away with using a stripped PC power cord, which is usually 16 AWG, but 14 AWG will be better. You can find these at the hardware store as heavy-duty extension cords.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

internet celebrity posted:

Do you squeeze your grain bag? Get some kind of grate (I use a baking cooling rack) and rest your bag on top like this when you start lautering. Get some kind of protection for your hands and squeeze the piss out of it until you can't get another drop to come out. Then start your sparge.

When I started squeezing it took my efficiency from 65 to 80+. I'm considering getting a big BIAB bag and using it in my rubbermaid MLT so I can squeeze on my other system.
I've done it a little, but never squeezed as much as I could. I swear I've heard people say this is a bad practice for some silly reason, but it's probably just another one of those brewing myths. Anyway, I'll give this a try next time and report back!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I want to say i remember it being about squeezing tannins out. But I squeezed my chocolate bock and that was good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I'd be surprised if you were able to squeeze actual chemicals out of grain that has been demolished by multiple times.

IIRC tannins are a product of temperature much more than any amount of squeezing

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
You can squeeze as much as you want. Tannin extraction would only occur due to pH or temperature issues, not from squeezing.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I think there are pro systems that increase efficiency by compressing the mash.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Here's a question I was just thinking about. If boiling grains (or rather, having grains at too high a temperature) were a significant source of tannin extraction, wouldn't every single decoction mashed beer ever be a tannic mess?

edit: This thread seems to have answered my question that it's all about mash ph. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16137

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 3, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

I do BIAB all the time now and I've never worried about efficiency. My first few batches were double-crushed from the LHBS and others have been pre-crushed kits for MoreBeer or NB and they all turned out fine.

I brew outside and use a ladder to hoist out and suspend my grain bag over my fermenting bucket. It drains and cools while I start the boil and then I can squeeze it and dump the drippings into the boil.

It might be interesting to use my cider press with the hydraulic bottle jack next time just to see how much more wort I could get out of it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I do BIAB all the time now and I've never worried about efficiency. My first few batches were double-crushed from the LHBS and others have been pre-crushed kits for MoreBeer or NB and they all turned out fine.

I brew outside and use a ladder to hoist out and suspend my grain bag over my fermenting bucket. It drains and cools while I start the boil and then I can squeeze it and dump the drippings into the boil.

It might be interesting to use my cider press with the hydraulic bottle jack next time just to see how much more wort I could get out of it.

I'm thinking about getting 2 pieces of heat resistant plastic (well...any plastic that wont melt at 150F-ish temperatures) and a C clamp and making my own press. Suspend bag, squeeze it with the clamp

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I want to say i remember it being about squeezing tannins out. But I squeezed my chocolate bock and that was good.

I'm pretty sure it's not recommended because it stresses the seams and can rip the poo poo out of your bag.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
:smug: I had no bag, I made a hobo sack from cheesecloth for that brew. But that's good to know since I just got a BIAB Bag and I don't wanna gently caress it up on my first go.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jerome Louis posted:

You can squeeze as much as you want. Tannin extraction would only occur due to pH or temperature issues, not from squeezing.

I've generally interpreted that bit of wisdom as being from the same era that demanded you rack off the beer 7 days after fermentation so it could sit in a primary for another 4-6 weeks before bottling.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any hints for how to clean BIAB bags? I guess a finer crush will help, as the shard-like husks from my last few batches stuck to the nylon like velcro. I ended up cleaning as much as I could by hand (probably 20 minutes) and then throwing it in the laundry by itself. I tried throwing it in with a normal wash but I just ended up with a load of lint caught like fish in the net, and that was only the wash cycle.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

quote:

:words: More BIAB rig talk :words:

Thinking of rigging a bicycle rack hanger from the ceiling in the garage, running a rope through it and pulling the mesh bag up holding it over the turkey fryer, like a pulley from the ceiling as I pour hot water over the pot and let the extracted malt drain out. On the opposite end, I'll tie down a heavy weight to keep the bag in position, based upon the height that I've chosen.

To the people suggesting finer crushes, thanks! I can tell already that this is going to be a big help when I get my first all grain BIAB (no-extract/non minimash) going next week.

I've recently acquired a bad need to do a Märzen/Oktoberfest.

To those that do Oktoberfests, what is your favorite yeast?

Wyeast 2633 or WLP820 or is there something else I should be trying based upon a characteristic you like.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 4, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

LaserWash posted:

Wyeast 2633 or WLP820 or is there something else I should be trying based upon a characteristic you like.

Kolsch

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!
I've got ten or so pounds of blackberries laying around, anyone got a good recipe to go along with them? My tastes usually run to stouts and sours, but no beer is too scary to attempt. They were (mostly) free, so sunk costs aren't a real big issue.

I've got enough equipment (:homebrew:) that I can try just about anything.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

I make plenty of Kölschs for my wife. It's her favorite. I was just asking about a favorite yeast for octoberfests.

Also, I want to declare that I'm a dumbass for not signing up for homebrew Santa. I kept telling myself to sign up and "was going to do it later."

Oops. Too late.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 4, 2013

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Thufir posted:

I think there are pro systems that increase efficiency by compressing the mash.

There is, but its pretty drat expensive only breweries I even heard of using it were wallstreet stock broker types who set up a microbrewery.

You wouldn't see some guy running a 5-20barrel brewery in England using it put it that way.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 4, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

LaserWash posted:

I make plenty of Kölschs for my wife. It's her favorite. I was just asking about a favorite yeast for octoberfests.

Kolsch is my favorite yeast for octoberfests/marzens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Kolsch is my favorite yeast for octoberfests/marzens.

Aaahhhhhhh gotcha. I'm using wyeast 2565 on the Kölschs I brew. Good yeast, it just takes a while for the haze to settle. But once it does... Wow.

Also, WLP 830 is the poo poo. I can see that going in lots of different continental/lager styles with ease.