Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Graveface Records has a bunch of stuff at 20-35% off, including the new Xiu Xiu LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Sleeve City 15% off code: BLACKFRIDAY97

https://twitter.com/sleevecity/status/405773312682639360

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
came back from the local record shop and have to give a plug for Gleeson II. Picked it up for 13 bucks and it's a fantastic power pop album, sounds like Fountains of Wayne mixed with the Stone Roses. It's a 2xLP on 200 gram vinyl, very substantial.

http://gleeson.bandcamp.com/album/gleeson-ii

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

c0ldfuse posted:

Solaris OST getting released Dec 10th through Invada.

Get on what is guaranteed to be a limited release.

It's been released through like four different labels already this year.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

a milk crime posted:

It's been released through like four different labels already this year.

That's the 1972 one. As far as I know only Invada has done the 02 remake score by Cliff Martinez.

It's also one of the best scores in recent memory and I'm stoked to finally have it on vinyl.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

So everyone has different taste in music, but we can all agree on one thing: vinyl loving rules. I forgot about this thread and I read about how you guys all splurged on those deals on oldies.com. I've been doing the same on stonesthrow.com (5 DaM-Funk albums and little drum machine) and also at this record store my buddy showed me on the other side of town. I feel like you guys listen to very different stuff, but hopefully you guys surprise me. Anyways, I've never really listened to them, but I picked up the newest Autechre 4LP box set(along with Flying Lotus-Los Angeles), and I actually really like it. Besides that, most of my collection is soul and funk stuff. Anyone else a huge Stevie Wonder fan?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I actually hate records and music. I just buy a lot of them because I'm a ironic super hipster.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

How's that going for ya?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

illestG posted:

How's that going for ya?

Great. I have hundreds of them already.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

illestG posted:

So everyone has different taste in music, but we can all agree on one thing: vinyl loving rules. I forgot about this thread and I read about how you guys all splurged on those deals on oldies.com. I've been doing the same on stonesthrow.com (5 DaM-Funk albums and little drum machine) and also at this record store my buddy showed me on the other side of town. I feel like you guys listen to very different stuff, but hopefully you guys surprise me. Anyways, I've never really listened to them, but I picked up the newest Autechre 4LP box set(along with Flying Lotus-Los Angeles), and I actually really like it. Besides that, most of my collection is soul and funk stuff. Anyone else a huge Stevie Wonder fan?

how do you like the autechre box set? is it more melodic than their usual offerings?

Also, recently picked up this 6lp box set of Andrew Liles remixing current 93 called "like swallowing eclipses". Box set is impressive but the music sounds like demonic chants and droning. Good thing I picked it up cheap...

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Bull Moose has a vinyl sale going today. It's not quite oldies.com levels of awesomeness, but some good prices on random things. They're putting up Record Store Day leftovers in the next couple hours too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat site went down. :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Do any of you folks know about the quality of the recent Butthole Surfers reissues? They were put out by the bands own label, so I'm assuming they might be good. Basically I just want to know if they're sourced from the original tapes.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Do any of you folks know about the quality of the recent Butthole Surfers reissues? They were put out by the bands own label, so I'm assuming they might be good. Basically I just want to know if they're sourced from the original tapes.

dont give those scoundrels one red cent. gently caress the butthole surfers.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chim posted:

Box set is impressive but the music sounds like demonic chants and droning.

You say that like it's a bad thing! Sounds like that might be my favorite new music.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

nadabolt posted:

dont give those scoundrels one red cent. gently caress the butthole surfers.

Any particular reason?

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Any particular reason?

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/touch-and-go-v-the-buttholes/Content?oid=898923

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah, I don't care about any of that.

illestG
Oct 8, 2009

Chim posted:

how do you like the autechre box set? is it more melodic than their usual offerings?

i can't compare because i haven't heard any other autechre besides this but yeah, i'd say there are some good tunes.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

CPL593H posted:

This is supposedly from the Buttholes themselves, via their message board:

quote:

There is no fancy packaging on these. Not 180 gram vinyl. They have been remastered, tho. When I A/B to Touch and Go pressings they sound a little better. Not night and day, just "better".

Basically we did it since it was time. They have been out of print on vinyl forever. The past few years vinyl tends to outsell cd for indie/punk stuff - so it was overdue to release these on vinyl again.

Of course, one would have to trust that "a little better" really means a little better, and not "slightly cleaner but a lot more compressed." The Wipers reissues remastered by Greg Sage himself--which are cleaner-sounding but brickwalled--have taught me that you can't always rely on the ears of the band members.

The originals are not expensive; I got all of mine for less than :10bux: each. So you could just buy one reissue and one original of the same album, compare them, and then extrapolate from there. That might be what I would do.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 3, 2013

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I know I'm probably the only person in the world to care about this, but Casimer & Casimir are finally releasing a record hardcopy of their work! It's for their single and it's on Bigcartel.

Also JNR is having a whole week of test-press sales for their VIPs. Kishi Bashi's discography is going up in ~20 minutes, along with Jorma Whittaker's (of Marmoset fame) album.

EDIT: A couple of my records came in yesterday. Probably the last person in the world to not have this yet, but I finally grabbed a copy of 'The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place' thanks to their anniversary sale.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 3, 2013

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Matador is selling everything they released in 2013 for 50% off, but the site is down at the moment sooooo

http://store.matadorrecords.com/

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is there no one shot link that displays everything 50% off? That Queens LP is tempting, but I'm not a huuuge fan. I wish they had Dead Meadow vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

izationalizer posted:

This is supposedly from the Buttholes themselves, via their message board:

Of course, one would have to trust that "a little better" really means a little better, and not "slightly cleaner but a lot more compressed." The Wipers reissues remastered by Greg Sage himself--which are cleaner-sounding but brickwalled--have taught me that you can't always rely on the ears of the band members.

The originals are not expensive; I got all of mine for less than :10bux: each. So you could just buy one reissue and one original of the same album, compare them, and then extrapolate from there. That might be what I would do.

I've yet to see original Butthole Surfers LPs for ten bucks. They're usually in the 30-50 range. I have an original pressing of Locust Abortion Technician that cost me 35 bucks. At any rate I'm not entirely trustful of a vague description from a guy who's basically saying "Don't buy the used copies because I don't money from that.".

fake edit: Derp. I just realized that the reissues are probably going to drop the value on the old presssings, so I think I'll just stick with those.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

hatelull posted:

Is there no one shot link that displays everything 50% off? That Queens LP is tempting, but I'm not a huuuge fan. I wish they had Dead Meadow vinyl.

https://www.matadorrecords.com/discography

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

CPL593H posted:

At any rate I'm not entirely trustful of a vague description from a guy who's basically saying "Don't buy the used copies because I don't money from that.".

Good point. Also, I got my Butthole LPs some years ago, so my valuation might be outdated (I also got them from a local guy, although his prices were aligned with eBay at the time).

Also also, I cleaned it up at a local record convention on Sunday. I spent more money than was wise, but I got:

Wire - 154 (OG UK) - $7
Danzig - S/T debut - $40 (I knew the price was decent, so I took a chance having never heard it (I loving love the Misfits). Played it. Didn't really like
it (and wife hates it). So it's going to eBay/Discogs)
Little Richard - Here's Little Richard (OG) - $5 (VG to VG- condition, but the price was nice)
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark - $5 (I bought this solely to flip on eBay. Sorry. I'm an rear end in a top hat)
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies (OG on Dedicated) - $25
Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' in the Moonlight (reissue) - $12
The Clean - Live Dead Clean - $30 (I now own almost every Clean record ever made)
Infections 7" - $2 (fast, snotty, loud garage punk on the great Rip Off label)
Red Aunts 7" - $2 (raunchy femme garage)

One of my perennial crate-digging nemeses--the guy partly responsible for that Endtables reissue on Drag City, as it happens-- beat me to a Happy Cadavers 7" for $1. I'm still pissed and jealous. Such a fun, charmingly lovely punk record. I beat him to a cheap Protex "Don't Ring Me Up" 7" at the same record fair several years ago, but his score was much better, value-wise (although not music-wise).

I just noticed this. Holy shitballs.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I willing admit a soft spot for that Spiritualized LP.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Kaboobi posted:

Matador is selling everything they released in 2013 for 50% off, but the site is down at the moment sooooo

Thanks for the link! Even if it's only the standard edition, ...Like Clockwork for $16 is a great deal compared to the $50 I was about to pay for the black-on-black version.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

All over Darkside - Psychic at this price. One of my favorite albums this year.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Oldies.com sale ends at midnight tonight, picking over the bones and I still managed to find $150 worth of stuff to buy.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
Man. was trying to find some old soundtracks on vinyl and was astonished that I somehow missed the Almost Famous untitled 2xLP soundtrack from 2009. anyone willing to sell me a copy at non insane markups? or point me in the right direction?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Chim posted:

Man. was trying to find some old soundtracks on vinyl and was astonished that I somehow missed the Almost Famous untitled 2xLP soundtrack from 2009. anyone willing to sell me a copy at non insane markups? or point me in the right direction?

Yet another record I used to see copies and copies of collecting dust in this shop I used to go to.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Yet another record I used to see copies and copies of collecting dust in this shop I used to go to.

See also, Demon Days.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See also, Demon Days.

Yeah, I specifically mentioned that. I used to see all kinds of copies of that floating around at regular retail price. It's even worse when it's an album I care about.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Is the Mondo Halloween reissue any good? And how is the Waxworks Reanimator reissue?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

Is the Mondo Halloween reissue any good? And how is the Waxworks Reanimator reissue?

Credit where credit's due, the Mondo release of Halloween sounds really good. The Re-Animator soundtrack is also really good.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007
I'm thinking about upgrading my player. Currently, I have an AT-PL50. My price range is less than $300. Any suggestions?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Pookdaddy G posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my player. Currently, I have an AT-PL50. My price range is less than $300. Any suggestions?

I really like my at lp 120 which usually runs just above $200. Not sure how much of an upgrade that will be for you and it does not have an auto return which is kind of a bummer.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
As prices go up, the level of automation goes down. It's not really desirable to have pawls and sensing cogs touching the tonearm all the time. The cheaper turntables are intended for casual listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Auto return is just for people that are too lazy to get up.