Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Coonskin_Cap posted:

Is there anything that goons could recommend to make the combat sound and feel more visceral? I'm playing a bulky nord bezerkr, and I'm tired of winding up with my giant greatsword only to hear a weak sounding *thwap*, along with the standard gamebryo floppy corpse.

Crimson tide is helping somewhat, mind.

TK Hitstop tries to improve feedback from hitting things, and you can remove the blur/camera shake if you don't like that. Realistic Ragdolls and Force is also a nice improvement if you don't like bodies flying everywhere.

You can also try a combat mod. Deadly Combat is more gameplay oriented, but it has a toggle-able feature that causes stagger on attacks, increased player & NPC damage, timed & more effective blocking and shorter weapon reach, which in my experience makes the combat feel more 'hands on', if you know what I mean.

I also really like kill moves, so I use SkyTweak to increase the kill move chance to 100% when eligible (read: when ending combat), IIRC you can also make it so you only get first person kill moves.

Edit: I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing Audio Overhaul improves sound effects triggered from hitting things.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Quantumfate posted:

I recall an alternate start mod, not live another life. It started you just after the dragon attack on Helgen and it gave you a selectionof different starting packages, like classes. Bonuses to certain skills and a selection of gear. Anyone happen to recall what that was? I'm also planning to do a ranger/druid type character, and grabbed midas magic for that. any other suggestions would be welcome!

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9557/

This one gives you multiple starts to choose from including starting as a vamp. Also can have it pick a random.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Tarq posted:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9557/

This one gives you multiple starts to choose from including starting as a vamp. Also can have it pick a random.

The post you quoted specifically states Quantumfate was looking for a mod that isn't Live Another Life.

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp

Liberatore posted:

The post you quoted specifically states Quantumfate was looking for a mod that isn't Live Another Life.

Doh, I'm failing at reading comprehension tonight.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Thanks!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Using mod organiser and I'm unsure how to order the conflicts between Skyrim HD, Skyrim Flora Overhaul and Climates of Tamriel. Should Skyrim HD come first followed by flora and then climates or climates before flora?

Edit: and in an entirely spergy way I can't get water mods to fix the blacksmith trough, including the Blacksmith fix mod. No idea what's causing it to stay looking like ice.

Lid fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 2, 2013

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

LtSmash posted:

I uploaded a test update of Lootification. I would appreciate anyone testing it out and reporting issues. No new features but its upgraded to the latest SkyProc and has some bug fixes.

Does the new version fix the problem of NPCs spawning without armor if "use matching outfits" is selected?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lid posted:

Using mod organiser and I'm unsure how to order the conflicts between Skyrim HD, Skyrim Flora Overhaul and Climates of Tamriel. Should Skyrim HD come first followed by flora and then climates or climates before flora?

Edit: and in an entirely spergy way I can't get water mods to fix the blacksmith trough, including the Blacksmith fix mod. No idea what's causing it to stay looking like ice.

On the left pane, Skyrim HD should be first, then add in the higher res texture packs below it. Priority will go to the ones that are loaded lower on the list.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Scyantific posted:

On the left pane, Skyrim HD should be first, then add in the higher res texture packs below it. Priority will go to the ones that are loaded lower on the list.

In MO it says that there's a conflict between Flora and Climates, I'm not sure which of them should overwrite the other.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Praetorian Mage posted:

Does the new version fix the problem of NPCs spawning without armor if "use matching outfits" is selected?

It should. If any still do let me know.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Mod Organizer automatically update itself like the NMM does?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Mod Organizer automatically update itself like the NMM does?

No, because it's not official Nexus software and the dev doesn't want it to overload their servers.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

It checks for updates on startup and there's a large icon in the toolbar that's only active when there's a new update.

The update icon is next to the warnings/errors icon which you'll always be keeping an eye on anyway, so it's pretty hard to miss.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lid posted:

In MO it says that there's a conflict between Flora and Climates, I'm not sure which of them should overwrite the other.

Whichever you want to show up ingame is the one that should overwrite the other. So if you want Flora's changes to show up ingame, then load that up after Climates.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!
For all the first playthrough questions, IMO you should play as close to vanilla as possible. Start with just the patches and some texture packs, and then as you play SLOWLY add things that you notice are a problem (boy, these guards sure do say the same poo poo all the time...).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

melon farmer posted:

For all the first playthrough questions, IMO you should play as close to vanilla as possible. Start with just the patches and some texture packs, and then as you play SLOWLY add things that you notice are a problem (boy, these guards sure do say the same poo poo all the time...).

I can second this. As much as I hate vanilla, different strokes for different folks, so only add stiff as it annoys you. Visual (textures, ui etc) and bug fix mods are the only appropriate mods for a first time through, I feel.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

This is sort of a strange question, but does there exist any sort of mod that removes all of the hostile NPCs from the general overworld? My lab is considering doing some research, and having a huge, high fidelity virtual environment we don't have to create from scratch would be immensely helpful.

If it doesn't exist, how hard would this be to whip up?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm struggling to think of why anyone would need that, but is there a reason you couldn't just use Garry's Mod or some random tech demo or something?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Synastren posted:

If it doesn't exist, how hard would this be to whip up?

Not hard at all, but removing all placed NPCs, creatures and spawnpoints would be rather time consuming. If you just want everyon to be non-hostile it might be easier and quicker to mess with the faction relations and make everyone friendly to the player and eachother.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 2, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there something that shows step by step how to get started? Because I'm seeing a lot of instructions for individual mods but not really a general "how to mod Skyrim for babbys" guide, and honestly this stuff is a little overwhelming. I played the crap out of the PS3 Skyrim so I don't need a vanilla playthrough, I want to mix it up with poo poo like freezing to death and starting somewhere else and more NPCs but then I read about managers and conflicts and "install X before Y because one overwrites the other" and I'm like :byodame: :suicide:

If I use a mod manager will it do most of that stuff for me? I suspect that what I actually want is a fragile combination of 1000 mods and I dread the setup all that is going to require if there isn't an easy way to go about it.

I still don't actually own the PC version yet because I know as soon as I buy it that'll be another 6 months - year of never touching another video game but I was trying to read up a little about what to expect and start bookmarking stuff I'd need, so that's why I was looking for how-to guides and FAQs and checking out this thread.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Step 1: Go find all the mods you want on the Nexus, bookmark every last one of them in a folder for reference later.
Step 2: Download them all to your computer somewhere. You can also use Mod Organizer to download them but that never wants to work for me, ymmv :shrug:
Step 3: Opening up Mod Organizer, the icon on the far left of the toolbar at the top is what you use to install mods. As you install each mod, go back to the bookmark you made of its page to make sure there aren't additional instructions. Some mods might have multiple plugins and only want you to use one for example, like Cloaks of Skyrim. For that, you just double click on the mod after you install it, go to the optional ESPs tab, and make sure only the one you need is listed as available.
Step 4: After installing all the mods you need into mod organizer, click the gears icon in the toolbar, then add BOSS as an executable. Mod Organizer is voodoo magic and running BOSS the normal way won't allow it to detect what mods you have.
Step 5: Run BOSS, which will notify you about any remaining things MO may not have told you about in addition to automatically adjusting the order of the plugins in MO so your mods don't cockblock each other and gently caress up your game.

That's pretty much it, just use MO to launch skse and cross your fingers. This isn't really anything you couldn't have figured out by watching tutorials or something but I'd rather read instructions than skip around a video while some nerd rambles and I figure someone else might feel the same v:v:v.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Everything Burrito posted:

Is there something that shows step by step how to get started? Because I'm seeing a lot of instructions for individual mods but not really a general "how to mod Skyrim for babbys" guide, and honestly this stuff is a little overwhelming. I played the crap out of the PS3 Skyrim so I don't need a vanilla playthrough, I want to mix it up with poo poo like freezing to death and starting somewhere else and more NPCs but then I read about managers and conflicts and "install X before Y because one overwrites the other" and I'm like :byodame: :suicide:

If I use a mod manager will it do most of that stuff for me? I suspect that what I actually want is a fragile combination of 1000 mods and I dread the setup all that is going to require if there isn't an easy way to go about it.

I still don't actually own the PC version yet because I know as soon as I buy it that'll be another 6 months - year of never touching another video game but I was trying to read up a little about what to expect and start bookmarking stuff I'd need, so that's why I was looking for how-to guides and FAQs and checking out this thread.

Mod Organizer makes everything tons easier. I've been working on a moding101 post but its pretty bad still. Your basic steps are
  1. Install skyrim outside your program files folder because UAC and whatnot fucks up mod tools. The CK is probably good too.
  2. Install Skyrim Script Extender. Its needed for lots of things and it has to be done outside a mod manager.
  3. Install BOSS, TesEdit and Wrye Bash. These are programs you will need to make mods work together and can't be done through a manager.
  4. Pick your mod manager and install it. The correct choice is MO but NMM and wrye bash exist too. Run everything through MO.
  5. Download and install your mods in MO. Order doesn't matter since MO's magic keeps them clean.
  6. Sort the file overwrites in the left pane of MO. This is the equivalent of install order in nmm or bash but its just drag and drop.
  7. Make sure any compatibility patches you need are installed.
  8. Run BOSS (through MO) to sort your load order (right panel in MO). Move any unknown mods as needed.
  9. Run TesEdit (through MO) and make a merged patch.
  10. Run any dynamic patchers like Automatic Variants or Dual Sheathe Redux (through MO) if you use them.
  11. Launch SKSE through MO and play.
  12. Crash Skyrim and spend weeks tweaking your setup instead of actually playing.
When you add or remove a mod you need to do steps 6+ again. It sounds complicated but its really not too hard. MO makes a lot of the painful parts super easy and the rest of the tools do the basics pretty easily too. Start small so you have the steps down before you put in a million mods.

Edit: Just saw Skyrim Scalpel popup on the nexus. Looks like a neat tool for loving up mods on a deep level.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 2, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is exactly what I needed, thanks both of you.

Wrist Watch posted:

This isn't really anything you couldn't have figured out by watching tutorials or something but I'd rather read instructions than skip around a video while some nerd rambles and I figure someone else might feel the same v:v:v.

That x 1000. I have dealt with video tutorials with Minecraft and it just adds so much more tedium to an already annoying and tedious experience. I just want some very basic written directions, not a guided tour.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

It's my first playthrough and I've taken the advice of this thread and stuck with texture based addons. I haven't yet grabbed the unofficial fixes, but I suppose I should.
I'm trying to decide if I should bother with the Skyrim HD add-on compared to the "official" HD DLC. Is it that much better? Can I limit it to only the new things, like glass and various reflections?

edit: After actually reading to Nexus page, it seems I want just the HD - Misc addon!

King Faraday fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 3, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So uhhh. turns out Nexus turned to poo poo when I wasn't looking and now I can't download any files. Anyone have a link to the new beta version of Lootification?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Mod Organizer makes everything tons easier. I've been working on a moding101 post but its pretty bad still. Your basic steps are
  1. Install skyrim outside your program files folder because UAC and whatnot fucks up mod tools. The CK is probably good too.
  2. Install Skyrim Script Extender. Its needed for lots of things and it has to be done outside a mod manager.
  3. Install BOSS, TesEdit and Wrye Bash. These are programs you will need to make mods work together and can't be done through a manager.
  4. Pick your mod manager and install it. The correct choice is MO but NMM and wrye bash exist too. Run everything through MO.
  5. Download and install your mods in MO. Order doesn't matter since MO's magic keeps them clean.
  6. Sort the file overwrites in the left pane of MO. This is the equivalent of install order in nmm or bash but its just drag and drop.
  7. Make sure any compatibility patches you need are installed.
  8. Run BOSS (through MO) to sort your load order (right panel in MO). Move any unknown mods as needed.
  9. Run TesEdit (through MO) and make a merged patch.
  10. Run any dynamic patchers like Automatic Variants or Dual Sheathe Redux (through MO) if you use them.
  11. Launch SKSE through MO and play.
  12. Crash Skyrim and spend weeks tweaking your setup instead of actually playing.
When you add or remove a mod you need to do steps 6+ again. It sounds complicated but its really not too hard. MO makes a lot of the painful parts super easy and the rest of the tools do the basics pretty easily too. Start small so you have the steps down before you put in a million mods.

Edit: Just saw Skyrim Scalpel popup on the nexus. Looks like a neat tool for loving up mods on a deep level.

Step 10 is where Wrye Bash would go, then? Thanks for this post. I've gotten MO and SKSE working, but haven't braved bashing patches or dealing with Automatic Variants. It actually sounds...easy.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Red Mundus posted:

So uhhh. turns out Nexus turned to poo poo when I wasn't looking and now I can't download any files. Anyone have a link to the new beta version of Lootification?

They're doing a server migration so its making GBS threads the bed. I stuck it up on dropbox.

Gorgar posted:

Step 10 is where Wrye Bash would go, then? Thanks for this post. I've gotten MO and SKSE working, but haven't braved bashing patches or dealing with Automatic Variants. It actually sounds...easy.

Wrye Bash would go in step 9 since its pretty similar to tesedit. For Skyrim a bashed patch isn't what it used to be. It can only merge leveled lists while tesedit can merge a ton of things in addition to leveled lists. If you do use a bashed patch in addition to a merged patch you will have to delete the leveled lists section of the merged patch in tesedit. They use different methods of determining how lists should be merged but it usually gives a pretty similar result.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

LtSmash posted:

They're doing a server migration so its making GBS threads the bed. I stuck it up on dropbox.

Thank you!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

LtSmash posted:

Wrye Bash would go in step 9 since its pretty similar to tesedit. For Skyrim a bashed patch isn't what it used to be. It can only merge leveled lists while tesedit can merge a ton of things in addition to leveled lists. If you do use a bashed patch in addition to a merged patch you will have to delete the leveled lists section of the merged patch in tesedit. They use different methods of determining how lists should be merged but it usually gives a pretty similar result.

So I could just as well skip Wrye Bash then?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm struggling to think of why anyone would need that, but is there a reason you couldn't just use Garry's Mod or some random tech demo or something?

Basically, we're going to try to see if we can replicate the effects of being in the (literal, outside) wilderness with a virtual environment. The richer the experience, the better the immersion. Given the plethora of "immersion enhancing" cosmetic mods people have made for Skyrim, it would be considerably easier to just remove npcs, add in those mods, and get going than it would be to create an environment from scratch.

We were kicking things around like using Crysis, or Source, or Battlefield 4. BF4 doesn't seem to have that sort of functionality, despite being a very pretty game with some wilderness in it--we would have to host some password protected server, and find a way to hide the hud and gun... that wouldn't be particularly easy. Crysis/Source would require us to most likely create our own map, which would be really time consuming.

Skyrim would let us take advantage of a preexisting environment, with plenty of easily added, already existing assets--we just need to find a way to rem
ove anything that wouldn't normally crop up on, say, a hike. Most of the time I go hike through a national park, I'm not accosted by Stormcloaks... :v:

While a tech demo might work, we want them to be able to explore on their own, and for different amounts of time.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I'm gonna start a thief run. Besides Shenk Thievery Overhaul, which seems to be dead, are there any good mods that add new locations to loot or more stuff in existing locations? There's a mod on the Nexus that adds vaults, but they look like poo poo. Something along those lines would be awesome, though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Are there any mods which replace level scaled enemies and loot tables with statically placed/leveled enemies? I'm leveling a character with a pretty broad selection of skills and I've noticed I've started playing against the level counter, Oblivion style. Going into dungeons in the Whiterun area and getting two-hit by Bandit Outlaws isn't fun.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Synastren posted:

Basically, we're going to try to see if we can replicate the effects of being in the (literal, outside) wilderness with a virtual environment. The richer the experience, the better the immersion. Given the plethora of "immersion enhancing" cosmetic mods people have made for Skyrim, it would be considerably easier to just remove npcs, add in those mods, and get going than it would be to create an environment from scratch.

We were kicking things around like using Crysis, or Source, or Battlefield 4. BF4 doesn't seem to have that sort of functionality, despite being a very pretty game with some wilderness in it--we would have to host some password protected server, and find a way to hide the hud and gun... that wouldn't be particularly easy. Crysis/Source would require us to most likely create our own map, which would be really time consuming.

Skyrim would let us take advantage of a preexisting environment, with plenty of easily added, already existing assets--we just need to find a way to rem
ove anything that wouldn't normally crop up on, say, a hike. Most of the time I go hike through a national park, I'm not accosted by Stormcloaks... :v:

While a tech demo might work, we want them to be able to explore on their own, and for different amounts of time.
You don't even need a mod to get probably 90% of what you want, or maybe all of what you want. In the console:

player.addtofaction E0CD9 0 <- bandits will not attack
player.addtofaction E0CDA 0 <- necromancers, conjurers, etc
player.addtofaction E0CDB 0 <- draugr
player.addtofaction 3E691 0 <- wolves
player.addtofaction 435A2 0 <- sabre cats
player.addtofaction FBBF3 0 <- bears

Anything else you can look up the faction and run the same command, but those six will go a long way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Synastren posted:

Just pretend they're LARPers from the SCA or something. The occasional dragon soaring and roaring high above the valley will be harder to explain, though. Maybe there's a mod that replaces their model with Goodyear blimps. :v:

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Just pretend they're LARPers from the SCA or something. The occasional dragon soaring and roaring high above the valley will be harder to explain, though. Maybe there's a mod that replaces their model with Goodyear blimps. :v:

Or a Macho Man . . .

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://static1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/110/images/5518-2-1325898360.jpg
This is the creepiest thing ever

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What in oblivion is that?!.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
Is it recommended to use Better Magic on top of SPERG for playing a mage?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Nalk posted:

Is it recommended to use Better Magic on top of SPERG for playing a mage?

Not really. SPERG's perks pretty much enhance all aspects of magic on their own. Just roll with Apocalypse for more spell variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There's a long series of videos aimed for beginner modders made by Nexus modmaker Gopher
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE7DlYarj-DdhDG41roBVJfNCqvO5MmKP

Only problem is that he mainly uses Nexus mod manager instead of Mod Organiser, if that matters to you.

• Locked thread