Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"We gotta hide...FROM THE MILITARY!"

It looks God awful but that cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

AzureFlame posted:

I could swear I've heard all of those jokes before, especially the lawyers one.

That exact lawyer joke was in the episode of Justice League with Green Lantern's trial.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The animation is also very start and stop, and jumps to being REALLY fast and it looks goddamn ridiculous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So Disney and Lego did some Marvel shorts...

And they're actually pretty funny. Plus bonus JK Simmons ranting as Jameson.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gaz-L posted:

So Disney and Lego did some Marvel shorts...

And they're actually pretty funny. Plus bonus JK Simmons ranting as Jameson.
Man its amazing how turning existing properties to Legos makes things awesome.

E: Also I love Troy Baker's Loki almost as much as Hiddleston's Loki :allears:

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 7, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Those were actually pretty good, except for pretty much all of Spider-Man's bits, which seemed like they were straight out of Ultimate Spider-Man (the TV show, not the comic) which of course means they were terrible.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TwoPair posted:

Those were actually pretty good, except for pretty much all of Spider-Man's bits, which seemed like they were straight out of Ultimate Spider-Man (the TV show, not the comic) which of course means they were terrible.

I actually found the Spiderman stuff funny and way better than USM. I thought the angst gag was great.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Man its amazing how turning existing properties to Legos makes things awesome.

Lego Wonder Woman. It could be the one approach that works for that character. I am 100% serious.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

Lego Wonder Woman. It could be the one approach that works for that character. I am 100% serious.

Would a comedy appearance with Lego Batman work?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I&t=163s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I actually found the Spiderman stuff funny and way better than USM. I thought the angst gag was great.

I laughed way too hard at the danish bit. "Must eat danish... but can't! But must!"

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Those lego shorts were pretty drat funny.

"I gotta walk home? Great, now I'm all angst ridden."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I mostly found Spider-Man super-grating but I thought it was pretty funny when he popped in at the very end of episode 3 just to crack an angst joke.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I hadn't seen this, it's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebXB0lBoaQ0

Superman 75th video

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I kind of love Hulk and the Agent's of S.M.A.S.H (and so does my two year old daughter). Is there something wrong with me? I find it genuinely funny snd entertaining.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

gfanikf posted:

I kind of love Hulk and the Agent's of S.M.A.S.H (and so does my two year old daughter). Is there something wrong with me? I find it genuinely funny snd entertaining.

I haven't watched it. It doesn't seem as loving horrible as Avengers and USM but unless the show is signifigantly different than the online trailers/previews I've watched I don't see why I should give it a chance.

Here's hoping that only the first season sucks and they turn it around in Season 2 like they did with Iron Man back in the 90s.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notthegoatseguy posted:

I haven't watched it. It doesn't seem as loving horrible as Avengers and USM but unless the show is signifigantly different than the online trailers/previews I've watched I don't see why I should give it a chance.

Here's hoping that only the first season sucks and they turn it around in Season 2 like they did with Iron Man back in the 90s.

The new Avengers isn't so much bad, but dull as hell...it is really bad when you then watch an episode of EMH and you're like "goddamnit why didn't this get a season 3?"

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

gfanikf posted:

The new Avengers isn't so much bad, but dull as hell...it is really bad when you then watch an episode of EMH and you're like "goddamnit why didn't this get a season 3?"

That's pretty much it. It's like going from Teen Titans directly to Young Justice. Aside from the new Avengers aren't angsty.. they just all feel so shallow personality wise.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Hulk/Iron man video they put out.. it just looks kind of bad, visually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PicklePants posted:

That's pretty much it. It's like going from Teen Titans directly to Young Justice. Aside from the new Avengers aren't angsty.. they just all feel so shallow personality wise.

I've only seen very little of either show, but Avengers' animation is so lifeless and uninspired, while EMH seemed to have a ton of personality in its animation and character designs. It really seems like a step down in every way that matters, even though EMH apparently got really stupid due to Jeph Loeb messing with the plotting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I've only seen very little of either show, but Avengers' animation is so lifeless and uninspired, while EMH seemed to have a ton of personality in its animation and character designs. It really seems like a step down in every way that matters, even though EMH apparently got really stupid due to Jeph Loeb messing with the plotting.

This is kind of amusing, considering when EMH was building to premiere, all you heard on the internet was people bitching about how 'ugly' the character designs were.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

This is kind of amusing, considering when EMH was building to premiere, all you heard on the internet was people bitching about how 'ugly' the character designs were.

Wasp's design was pretty bad though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I only ever saw the first episode of the new Avengers series. The animation in that episode was dreadful and just outright embarrassing at times (I remember a kick being delivered with a single frame of animation, like it was a motion comic, I'm sure someone has that gif and if they do I'm also requesting the gif where it cheaply rotates through all the superheroes while they're posing)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vakal posted:

Wasp's design was pretty bad though.

Wasp's design is always terrible.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Srice posted:

I only ever saw the first episode of the new Avengers series. The animation in that episode was dreadful and just outright embarrassing at times (I remember a kick being delivered with a single frame of animation, like it was a motion comic, I'm sure someone has that gif and if they do I'm also requesting the gif where it cheaply rotates through all the superheroes while they're posing)

Courtesy of Sex_Ferguson from earlier in the thread.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

PicklePants posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Hulk/Iron man video they put out.. it just looks kind of bad, visually.

I stopped watching after 15 minutes. It looks, sounds and feels like a fan project.

I wish Marvel put even half the effort DC does into their animated stuff.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please stop reminding Avengers Assemble exists, I hated it more than Ultimate Spider-Man and that is a massive accomplishment.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Please stop reminding Avengers Assemble exists, I hated it more than Ultimate Spider-Man and that is a massive accomplishment.

Its just so BLAAAAAAND.

I wonder, if EMH had not gone with old school Russian Black Widow, if the show could have been saved? All they would have needed would be costume changes at that point, and adding BW to the team. And Falcon if need be. I guess it also didn't help that they did a Heroes for Hire episode that did not feature their USM versions of Cage and Fist.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The show couldn't have been saved because it was already in too deep with its own continuity. You can tell they tried changing it to fit the mold of the movies, but they realized that characters like Ant-Man, Wasp, and Black Panther were too much of a mainstay at that point to have been removed. Even other characters like Wolverine and Spider-Man showed up, hell they even changed Spider-Man's voice so it falls in line with the USM version, but they just decided to kill it at that point and make their own Avengers thing, rather than just work with what they had. It's probably for the best though as EMH was slowly getting worse as it progressed, even the Spider-Man episode failed to get me interested and it was not because of Drake Bell.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I agree EMH got worse as it progressed, but it is almost like you can pinpoint the exact episode in S2 when it is obvious Loeb and co started loving with the show. With the whole "ALL EPISODES MUST BE DONE-IN-ONE" leading to some really abrupt storylines that would stop, then be ignored for an episode or two because you can't have a two or 3 part episode, then start up again. Vision is a pretty good example. It got bad due to the higher ups loving with the show, not anything else

The Spider-Man episode was actually pretty good and Drake Bell isn't a bad voice actor but the material he's given in USM is just loving horrible.

Even at its worse, EMH was still passably entertaining. But USM and Avengers Assemble are just flat out bad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't see why they couldn't just reboot a previous iteration.

Power armor for everyone!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Even at its worse, EMH was still passably entertaining.
Also happily, EMH went out on a loving high note.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PicklePants posted:

That's kind of unfair to Young Justice its not that bad and beside the Brent Spiner Joker, the voice acting was pretty solid.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

achillesforever6 posted:

That's kind of unfair to Young Justice its not that bad and beside the Brent Spiner Joker, the voice acting was pretty solid.

It would have been better without all those production/episode delays. I was more talking about the energy of the show. EMH and Teen Titans were a bit more high energy. Going straight from those to something slower, is a bit more of a drag.

There were some parts of YJ I didn't mind, but it did like to drag it's storylines out, slow storylines and a mismanaged production schedule were brutal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

YJ was so painfully dull that I have no idea how it stayed on the air so long.

Like, there was that scene where the JL talks about potential recruits, and on any other show that would have been a funny, energetic scene, with maybe auditions or silly footage of the heroes being evaluated. But it was just everyone sitting at a table, very slowly talking about the potential recruits in bored voices, and Batman and Wonder Woman both take the time to explicitly remind us of their 1-dimensional character traits ("I think we could use a strong woman" "I don't trust people"), and the scene just kinda ends without anything happening. poo poo was sleeping pills.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
The thing with Young Justice was that it was constantly trying to be a Very Serious show that took the long game, playing out over a number of seasons. It was clearly developed on a whiteboard in a vacuum and assumed that it would have like 5 or 6 seasons. There's a photo floating around of a cork board that literally plans their show out to like season 8. Thing is, you can't really assume that, especially in this business.

Because of that it made some really stupid decisions on pacing. That's why you got a Red Tornado arc that lasted like 5 episodes, because the big plan said that a Red Tornado arc should last 5 episodes. That's why The Light were mysterious faces who would always end each episode by saying they actually won, and eventually they will bring their goal into... The Light. They did that for most of the first season. EMH did their Skrull invasion in like 6 episodes, and sprinkled in other bits while developing other plots. I'm not saying arcs are a bad thing, or that all episodes should end with a neat resolution, but YJ really failed to understand that the clock was ticking.

It's a bit if a shame - Darkseid at the end indicates that they were probably committing the other cardinal sin serial shows tend to make - pushing their awesome moments until later in their run, and usually getting cancelled for it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Greg Weisman suffers from really, really wanting to do something like Gargoyles again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

redbackground posted:

Also happily, EMH went out on a loving high note.

Minus dropping the Surter plot. It was also notable that non Iron Man, Thor, Hulk and Captain America avenger's we allowed to do much less once Leob took over.

Even if EMH got worse I still would have kept it over AA which is just not fun.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 5, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Maltose posted:

Greg Weisman suffers from really, really wanting to do something like Gargoyles again.

This wasn't as apparent in Spectacular Spider-Man, but I'd also rather not remember SSM because it's so good I get sad when it got cancelled after two loving seasons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This wasn't as apparent in Spectacular Spider-Man, but I'd also rather not remember SSM because it's so good I get sad when it got cancelled after two loving seasons.

Maybe it was a blessing, because if Spectacular had been allowed a full run then everything else would have paled in comparison.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

Courtesy of Sex_Ferguson from earlier in the thread.

...They're OWNED by loving DISNEY! How does something like that even happen, how can the most famous animation house in the world own Marvel and turn out something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Marvel needs to copy what DC does with their DTVs and just adapt famous storylines.

• Locked thread