Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Citycop posted:

I am an Amazon Prime customer. You should try it sometime. They treat me like royalty. I order stupid poo poo like gourmet hot sauces that I can't get anywhere else and I get it in the mail at my door often within 48 hours of clicking the button. That shipping is FREE. I could pay about $3 to get it shipped twice as fast. I sometimes buy stuff online like this as often as three times a week. Many times it's cheaper for me to buy from Amazon than anywhere else if I factor in the gas to get there. If I ever have a problem I call them and I talk to someone immediately in English and they are super helpful. Prime even comes with free movie streaming and a book library. I'm not even angry with Amazon, I just think they need to work on their phone buying process and I cannot recommend it to anyone.

poo poo I have bought from Amazon last month:
21 Jump Street , The Hunger Games, Kick-rear end, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Young Frankenstein, Robots, X-Men, Planet of the Apes 5 Film Collection

Other:
A handfull of <$20 Jewlery, A metal Detector, A phone charger, Furniture felt pads, Light Dimmer switch, 2 LG phones, 3 Basketballs, Portable Basketball System , Set of 5 Minecraft Wristbands, Minecraft Diamond Pendant Necklace, Minecraft Diamond Pendant Necklace, Furby Boom Figure X 2, PlasmaCar Red, Evriholder Magic Holder 5-Position Wall Organizer, Coffee Bean Direct Italian Roast Espresso, Whole Bean Coffee

All delivered next day, many shipped on the weekends. The UPS guy knows my name.

God forbid a company makes sure it isn't someone fraudulently using your credit to make bogus purchases. Amazon should rethink that just so you can get your free shipping and blow jobs ASAP. Waiting a whole few days for something just sounds absolutely terrible.

Amazon is nice, but you are the type of customer that makes everyone's life hell on earth. Try not to get your gourmet hot sauces all over your new touchscreen phone FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Citycop's is just sharing his experience with buying a phone through Amazon. His reaction seems pretty reasonable and level headed. Don't know why some of you are so angry about this. Others in this thread reported buying a phone through Amazon and not having any issues at all. It would be nice if the process was streamlined and consistent for everyone. When the process for buying a phone is tougher then a car, then something isn't right. Amazon is an amazing retailer but sometimes they get things wrong.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

I said come in! posted:

Citycop's is just sharing his experience with buying a phone through Amazon. His reaction seems pretty reasonable and level headed. Don't know why some of you are so angry about this. Others in this thread reported buying a phone through Amazon and not having any issues at all. It would be nice if the process was streamlined and consistent for everyone. When the process for buying a phone is tougher then a car, then something isn't right. Amazon is an amazing retailer but sometimes they get things wrong.

All Amazon has done is facilitate a sale. The request for more information is from Equifax which is the same for just about any credit check you'd do with any company. The process is streamlined for most people.

EDIT: I sell Sprint as a 3rd party dealer and do this process multiple times a day. There is a very high incidence of fraud with phones as there is a high possibility of profit. When even the slightest bit of information is incorrect the credit bureau will refuse to release the information and ask for clarification. By federal law we cannot discourage you from completing the application or tell you a reason without verifying your identity.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 1, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fair enough, I just don't get Duckman2008's hostile frothing at the mouth reaction to Citycop. I guess there always has to be that corporate white knight though that believes any minor negative experience shared on the internet will mean the downfall of their favorite company.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I sell T-Mobile and Verizon as well and I push Sprint over T-Mobile because they pay me better and have less confusing plans for consumers otherwise I'd never recommend it. No reason to white knight them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Fair enough, I just don't get Duckman2008's hostile frothing at the mouth reaction to Citycop. I guess there always has to be that corporate white knight though that believes any minor negative experience shared on the internet will mean the downfall of their favorite company.

Nah,dude was just ridiculously negative about one minor issue. Given I don't work for sprint I doubt I would be white knighting. On the flip side I'm on the end of a 56 hour Black Friday work week so I could just be in a bad mood.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
On the other hand, I'm also a Prime subscriber, and I've never gotten a single item delivered on the weekend. Order it Thursday? Get it Monday. Might depend on what the item is, and what warehouse it's being shipped from, tho.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

beamrider posted:

On the other hand, I'm also a Prime subscriber, and I've never gotten a single item delivered on the weekend. Order it Thursday? Get it Monday. Might depend on what the item is, and what warehouse it's being shipped from, tho.

I've gotten stuff on the weekend (most recent was a wireless charger on the 23rd), but it's not common and depends on who's handling shipping. (Specifically, I think it's only FedEx that delivers on Saturday.)

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I got three things from Amazon today, Sunday. 8)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that the USPS thing?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

CharlesM posted:

Is that the USPS thing?

Yep.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Okay arghsdfsdd let me restate it again:

Can I buy an unlocked Nexus 5, have it activated, and have it added to my current like and deactivate the 5C while still paying for its monthly payment, correct?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anonomono posted:

Okay arghsdfsdd let me restate it again:

Can I buy an unlocked Nexus 5, have it activated, and have it added to my current like and deactivate the 5C while still paying for its monthly payment, correct?

A look on the Sprint forums suggests that you can. Sprint just needs to send you a SIM card for it to work.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

I said come in! posted:

A look on the Sprint forums suggests that you can. Sprint just needs to send you a SIM card for it to work.

Shouldn't he be able to swap the sim from his 5c (with a nano-micro adapter)?

Also, how long does it take to port out from sprint? Or is that entirely up to the port-in carrier?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tedronai66 posted:

Shouldn't he be able to swap the sim from his 5c (with a nano-micro adapter)?

Ooh right, that's a good point. Yeah I would think so. You probably just have to call first.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Tedronai66 posted:

Also, how long does it take to port out from sprint? Or is that entirely up to the port-in carrier?

Ports to any other large carrier takes a matter of minutes usually.

Smaller carriers or land lines can take anywhere from hours to weeks on the extreme end.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Giblet posted:

Ports to any other large carrier takes a matter of minutes usually.

Smaller carriers or land lines can take anywhere from hours to weeks on the extreme end.

I'm in dual-service limbo right now. Texts are still going to sprint, but my tmo account dials out and sends texts properly.

e: and i've gotten my number transfer confirmation from tmo, would I still need to call sprint to can the account? I have an airave I'd need to return.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 3, 2013

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Tedronai66 posted:

I'm in dual-service limbo right now. Texts are still going to sprint, but my tmo account dials out and sends texts properly.

e: and i've gotten my number transfer confirmation from tmo, would I still need to call sprint to can the account? I have an airave I'd need to return.

Is your sprint phone an iPhone?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Wizard of Smart posted:

Is your sprint phone an iPhone?

Nope, Nexus 5.

Seems to have gone through now, though. With a couple test texts still dropped from my gvoice.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.
I picked up one of the $50 LG G2s on black friday and don't understand the hate. Coming from an EVO 4G ( WiMax :argh: ) running Cyanogen mod, the stock rom has all the features I switched CM for built in (Wi-Fi hotspot, google voice), so I don't think I'll be changing the stock rom unless I run into some kind of limitation I haven't discovered yet. The hardware is a great upgrade, way more responsive, much better screen, and tri-band LTE is a huge upgrade from the wi-max i never even bother turning on anymore because there isn't a wi-max tower within a hundred miles of me and there aren't any more being deployed. Battery life seems way better too.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

zeek40 posted:

I picked up one of the $50 LG G2s on black friday and don't understand the hate. Coming from an EVO 4G ( WiMax :argh: ) running Cyanogen mod, the stock rom has all the features I switched CM for built in (Wi-Fi hotspot, google voice), so I don't think I'll be changing the stock rom unless I run into some kind of limitation I haven't discovered yet. The hardware is a great upgrade, way more responsive, much better screen, and tri-band LTE is a huge upgrade from the wi-max i never even bother turning on anymore because there isn't a wi-max tower within a hundred miles of me and there aren't any more being deployed. Battery life seems way better too.

Yes, I also thought my 2000 Kia Rio was pretty slick after owning a Model T for several years. :)

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.
The EVO 4G isn't that old, I was only like 6 months or so past due for my upgrade :) .

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

zeek40 posted:

The G2 has a 3000 mAh battery, whereas the evo 4g has a 1500, iirc. So the battery life is definitely much better.

bobula posted:

Yes, I also thought my 2000 Kia Rio was pretty slick after owning a Model T for several years. :)

I also do not get the hate. The phone is pretty nice. But, obv the phone is actually terrible because

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone have any complaints about the Nexus 5 (well, minus any complaints about Sprint's network)? Believe it or not, I am STILL using a Nexus S, and it's about drat time to get something newer, and being able to take it to another carrier in the future is a nice perk..

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I Dont Like You posted:

Anyone have any complaints about the Nexus 5 (well, minus any complaints about Sprint's network)? Believe it or not, I am STILL using a Nexus S, and it's about drat time to get something newer, and being able to take it to another carrier in the future is a nice perk..

My only real complaint about it so far is the microphone being on the bottom. I talk kinda light so a lot of people complain they can't hear me until I turn the phone on its side and talk directly into it. Other than that the phone is pretty awesome.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

McPhearson posted:

My only real complaint about it so far is the microphone being on the bottom. I talk kinda light so a lot of people complain they can't hear me until I turn the phone on its side and talk directly into it. Other than that the phone is pretty awesome.

Awesome, thanks! I regularly lurk a lot of the Android threads in IYG and I know it doesn't have the best camera or anything, but that isn't really that much of a big deal to me at all, can't wait to finally upgrade this drat thing.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Does anybody know how long it takes an ETF to appear on your account?

I ported both my lines out of Sprint at the beginning of November and I have yet to get anything from them besides a letter asking for my airrave back (which they have already received).

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Does anybody know how long it takes an ETF to appear on your account?

I ported both my lines out of Sprint at the beginning of November and I have yet to get anything from them besides a letter asking for my airrave back (which they have already received).

If you know you have one why don't you just call them and take care of it instead of waiting for a letter about it?

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Alright one more question and I'll be set: Can you sell your Sprint One-Up device on Amazon/eBay and still pay for the device itself over monthly payments and then return the device you've purchased from the Amazon/eBay profits when you do the yearly upgrade or can you keep the device for whenever you want to upgrade?

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!
So I talked to two reps on two different days complaining that the apartment I moved into has no service, like no bars at all, and they told me tough luck and to buy an Airrave. Does that phone number in the OP still work to call and bitch to so I can get them to send me an Airrave?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

McPhearson posted:

Many phones have their mic conveniently placed so that it can be covered by a pinky finger when held to the ear. I covered the mic on phones up like that for a long time until I saw the problem in a mirror and now I'm paranoid about it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Anonomono posted:

Alright one more question and I'll be set: Can you sell your Sprint One-Up device on Amazon/eBay and still pay for the device itself over monthly payments and then return the device you've purchased from the Amazon/eBay profits when you do the yearly upgrade or can you keep the device for whenever you want to upgrade?

You need to turn in the same device for the yearly upgrade (or a service replacement for it). So don't sell it unless it's paid off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tray posted:

So I talked to two reps on two different days complaining that the apartment I moved into has no service, like no bars at all, and they told me tough luck and to buy an Airrave. Does that phone number in the OP still work to call and bitch to so I can get them to send me an Airrave?

That specific number no, just call customer care and ask for cancellations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Duckman2008 posted:

That specific number no, just call customer care and ask for cancellations.

There's still a chance you won't get it. They've really cheaped out on the free Airrave thing over the past several months. If they say no just keep trying with a different rep. Eventually one of them will give you one.

There's just something about needing to buy a device because Sprints network blows where you live just rubs me the wrong way. I shouldn't have to pay extra because your network sucks. Honestly since they're setup by default to let any Sprint phone connect, Sprint should be handing these things out like candy. It only makes their network look better.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 4, 2013

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
My dad constantly loses and breaks crappy flip phones which is fine. I have been buying them used off ebay and activating them. I have NEVER taken an upgrade or money fromSprint.

Now I want to get them out of Sprint, but my contract details claim that I "activated a new phone" so it'll be 1.5 years before it expires. But it was just a $10 ebay phone! Do I have a case to get out of my contract?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

CatchrNdRy posted:

My dad constantly loses and breaks crappy flip phones which is fine. I have been buying them used off ebay and activating them. I have NEVER taken an upgrade or money fromSprint.

Now I want to get them out of Sprint, but my contract details claim that I "activated a new phone" so it'll be 1.5 years before it expires. But it was just a $10 ebay phone! Do I have a case to get out of my contract?

Activating a new line would probably trigger a 2 year contract, but not just an esn swap, no.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

WoG posted:

Activating a new line would probably trigger a 2 year contract, but not just an esn swap, no.

Hmm there was never a new line. There were at one point 3 lines, and we removed one, placing the second line its place. This should be something I call about?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Did somebody use the upgrade from that line to get a new phone? At work we frequently upgrade/extend the contract on a line and then put the phone on another line of service.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Did somebody use the upgrade from that line to get a new phone? At work we frequently upgrade/extend the contract on a line and then put the phone on another line of service.

Yeah, this happens all the time. Shadier dealers don't even tell you they're doing it that way.

So if the other line got a new phone around 6 months ago, that's probably it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, this happens all the time. Shadier dealers don't even tell you they're doing it that way.

So if the other line got a new phone around 6 months ago, that's probably it.

Its not just dealers. Our local CORP store this was standard practice. Sprint (depending on area) is a shady loving company all around.