Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Is the Vita region free? I really want to play that Persona dancing game, and understanding exactly what's going on would probably ruin some of the fun.

EDIT: vvvvvv Sweet, thanks. Now if only there was a way to mute Teddie without having to wait however many months for the English version.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Don Gato posted:

Is the Vita region free? I really want to play that Persona dancing game, and understanding exactly what's going on would probably ruin some of the fun.

Yes but it's kinda hard to have multiple accounts on it, switching regions is like a 15 minute process. If you import a cart there won't be any issues, you can play it on the same account.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure even if you do get the Persona dancing game, at least half of it will be broken English considering most of the songs in the series are English and even the trailer had the Japanese Teddie VA and announcer saying English phrases.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

I'm pretty sure even if you do get the Persona dancing game, at least half of it will be broken English considering most of the songs in the series are English and even the trailer had the Japanese Teddie VA and announcer saying English phrases.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The Japanese Teddie is not voiced by a human, but rather styrofoam rubbed across a chalkboard, so it is pretty bad.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gulvLWU1nfc

Persona 4 Arena Suplex full intro video.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dehry posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gulvLWU1nfc

Persona 4 Arena Suplex full intro video.

Pretty drat cool. I was hoping for seeing Yukari, Junpei and the new guy fighting though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty drat cool. I was hoping for seeing Yukari, Junpei and the new guy fighting though.

Wish granted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh5Zgqj9JgU

Courtesy of our good friend DarkStarIV

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

More Overclocked talk: Make sure you pump agility in as well as magic. Dual Shadow has a agi requirement and being able to spontaneously double cast holy dance/drain is absurdly powerful.

Managed to combine that with a Kishin's Double up to one shot the day 8 boss. :v:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure that null most/resist all has a str requirement so don't be afraid to get that up to like 8, vit to at least 13 as well.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 3, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

projecthalaxy posted:

Wish granted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh5Zgqj9JgU

Courtesy of our good friend DarkStarIV

Wow, Thanks!

Yukari looks really fun to play, her Garudyne super makes the opponent look really stupid and is oddly charming to see her go full sentai on her Fatal KO. Junpei looks like the character with the most personality of them all and his Fatal KO's the best thing I've seen :haw:

The newy guy on the other hand... :effort:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Wow, Thanks!

Yukari looks really fun to play, her Garudyne super makes the opponent look really stupid and is oddly charming to see her go full sentai on her Fatal KO. Junpei looks like the character with the most personality of them all and his Fatal KO's the best thing I've seen :haw:

The newy guy on the other hand... :effort:

I love Junpei's baseball gimmick, but I'll have to wait on Yukari until I can get my grubby mitts on the mechanics. I don't usually like projectile-based characters anyway, and there doesn't seem to be too much separating her from Elizabeth or Aigis or the other heavily range-primary characters. What I hope we get from Ultimax is primarily the P3 Shadows. I hope they get a scene to explain their whole schtick like the shadows in P4 (the RPG) did. Also I want more Navigator characters. They proved with Aigis, Yosuke, and Nanako last game they don't have to be RPG navigators so basically everyone should be a navigator. Elizabeth's bizarre commentary, Kanji getting all flustered when Naoto's on screen, there's a lot of gold there they haven't mined yet.

E: yeah, Shu. Who cares about Shu. Bleh.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

E: yeah, Shu. Who cares about Shu. Bleh.
People said the same thing about Labrys, and we all know how that turned out. :colbert:

amazingly is how it turned out

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Half the reason Labrys is cool is because of Cindy Robinson if they had any other VA she would've just been okay.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone who always hated the dumb robot girls thing, especially when it crossed into P4 by way of Arena (yeah, the games were already weird, but that specific kind of weird seemed out of place to me), Labrys' accent is great and really endeared me to the character.

Shu seems like the most awful, generic rear end in a top hat ever, though, and everything I'm hearing just reinforces that. Don't have high hopes for that character.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

As someone who always hated the dumb robot girls thing, especially when it crossed into P4 by way of Arena (yeah, the games were already weird, but that specific kind of weird seemed out of place to me), Labrys' accent is great and really endeared me to the character.

I'm sorry man, but random sci-fi robots belong in every JRPG. It's like a rule. Persona 4 was overdue if anything.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well Persona 4 has a bear, so it balances out. Robots or bears, I can take one or the other. The only good part of Infinite Undiscovery was the bear.

Labrys' voice acting does raise the question of WHERE the whole Brooklyn-esque accent came from. Is that the actress's natural voice and she went with it, or was she actually coached for that voice or what?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In the Japanese version, she has a Kansai accent; the Brooklyn/Jersey/whatever accent is a pretty good Americanization of that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Labrys' original voice in the Japanese version was a Kansai dialect and usually the English equivalent used for localization is either Southern or Brooklyn due to that dialect being a bit blunt and simple. From what I've heard of Cindy Robinson in interviews, her voice is just normal, no real accent or anything.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 3, 2013

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
It took me a while to realize the new guy you all were talking about was Sho and not Shu since I was wondering how the hell some nerd kid you tutored got a persona.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'm sorry man, but random sci-fi robots belong in every JRPG. It's like a rule. Persona 4 was overdue if anything.

Persona 4 already had one in Shadow Naoto. Adding Aegis and Labrys via Arena just made some playable as well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

projecthalaxy posted:

I love Junpei's baseball gimmick, but I'll have to wait on Yukari until I can get my grubby mitts on the mechanics. I don't usually like projectile-based characters anyway, and there doesn't seem to be too much separating her from Elizabeth or Aigis or the other heavily range-primary characters.

From what I can tell, Yukari looks like some weird variant of Naoto with mobile traps that she can detonate with her arrows. She's also got Charm and Confusion, which should help with her mixup and SP game. Like all the other rangers she should crumble under close pressure though (not sure if Mahagarula has any extensive invincibility.)

Aigis isn't really ranged considering her bullet cap, she's more of a resource management and zoner style.

Junpei's alright, but I'm not really liking his supers. Fireball baseball's hitbox looks really wonky.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe the new guy will have some sort of other American regional dialect. I'm rooting for New Orleans, personally.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Endorph posted:

Maybe the new guy will have some sort of other American regional dialect. I'm rooting for New Orleans, personally.

I was against it until I realized we'd get a crazy, evil, Gambit in this game.:allears:

Also, what dialect is Sho speaking in Japanese?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Persona 4 already had one in Shadow Naoto. Adding Aegis and Labrys via Arena just made some playable as well.

That's a cyborg, totally different. :colbert:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Junpei and Yukari look great, I especially like the little touches from the games, like how Yukari shoots herself to summon her persona and Junpei's WHO'S THE DA MAN pose.

Shu looks like something a 14 year old would draw on black paper with a black pen while listening to Linkin Park, dude just screams edge.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I also support the idea of the American localization giving Sho a goofy accent so he's less of a teenager's edgy OC.

I suggest Bostonian. :haw:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Friendly reminder that the main character of Persona 3 literally summons a demon with a cape made out of coffins by shooting himself in the head.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Sho's long overdue if anything, I'm disappointed it doesn't look like Adachi's made the cut.

I love Persona but it suffers from a serious lack of villains, and fighting games often have the exact same problem. It was hard for me to take Strega seriously when they were outnumbered 3 to 1, good as they were.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Utgardaloki posted:

Sho's long overdue if anything, I'm disappointed it doesn't look like Adachi's made the cut.

I love Persona but it suffers from a serious lack of villains, and fighting games often have the exact same problem. It was hard for me to take Strega seriously when they were outnumbered 3 to 1, good as they were.

Well, they never confirmed that he would be playable, only that he would be showing up. And it's entirely possible he was only meant for the console release, anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Utgardaloki posted:

What do you mean? He's in the game, it's been confirmed by a recent trailer. We don't know if he's playable yet, but there is an in-game character model.

Accordion Man posted:

I also support the idea of the American localization giving Sho a goofy accent so he's less of a teenager's edgy OC.

Oh come the gently caress on, this is a series about the emotional turmoil of teenagers and sometimes teenager robots, Sho is hardly worse than Kanji in terms of edgy looking characters. After Labrys was surprisingly good, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Sho, especially since he reminds me a bit of Daidara, what with the red hair and X scar.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
We finally have a chance of having an evil Persona user that isn't completely worthless (Adachi doesn't count as his Persona use was a very minor part of his character) so I'm willing to give Sho a shot.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My problem with Sho is that he looks generic as hell. The scars, the double wielding katanas, the crazy hair color; all of that is pretty much the standard for though guy on the anime.

On the material released so far there's nothing that made him stand out.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I think if anyone can pull Sho off, it's these writers/voice team, but even then they've given themselves something of an uphill battle. Time will tell though. Or they can just commit to it, have Shoji's work be overwritten with Drowning Pool whenever he's on screen, have him voiced by Marilyn Manson, everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ugh, this Yosuke dude is so generic anime. Dual-wielding kunai? Headphones? Spiky hair? Lame.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
In other news, P4G has shipped 700000+ copies worldwide. Meaning it has sold more than the original PS2 version. So that's a thing.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
So did every Vita owner buy P4G or what.

I honestly hope this convinces them to port it to other platforms, like PC for instance...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I basically bought the Vita for P4G I'm not even sure they make other games for it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

Ugh, this Yosuke dude is so generic anime. Dual-wielding kunai? Headphones? Spiky hair? Lame.

You're right about that, then again I never was that interested on P4. Unlike the P3's cast I never was too invested on the Investigation Team, the story's solid and got great moments but in the end I found it forgettable.

I'm sure that a lot of this is that P3 was my first game and such I'm biased to it, though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Machine posted:

So did every Vita owner buy P4G or what.

I honestly hope this convinces them to port it to other platforms, like PC for instance...

Like a quarter of them.

Half the Vita thread needs to juggle their libraries on 32GB cards (I'd need to on 64 :retrogames:) and most people still think the Vita has no games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

epitasis posted:

I basically bought the Vita for P4G I'm not even sure they make other games for it.

Persona 4 dancing all night!

I have a LOT of vita games honestly but P4G is easily my favorite.