Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RVProfootballer posted:

Stock Kit Kat with GPE is ideal, actually. Everything you need, nothing you don't.
My biggest problem is I don't have it on my 7 and sometimes I'll try to go to the left to get to Now. I'd install it, but that would require me enabling "unknown sources" and touching an apk which would break my no CJing rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is GPE that thing that makes the icons all large and ugly? I don't mind Google Now to the left, but I don't need the "I am my dad and refuse to wear my reading glasses" setting going on with the icons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Civil posted:

GPE is terrible.

I love it and think it's useful and efficient.

SpazRobot
Dec 21, 2004
I am Nomad.
Is anyone successfully using Adblock Plus?

My problem is that it filters all traffic on port 80...which evidently includes all incoming and outgoing MMS messages. SMS messages (pure text) make it through just fine, but any images or group texts just timeout on send as long as I have ABP enabled.

I'm using a N5 on AT&T.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

My biggest problem is I don't have it on my 7 and sometimes I'll try to go to the left to get to Now. I'd install it, but that would require me enabling "unknown sources" and touching an apk which would break my no CJing rule.

What is "CJing"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Computer janitoring.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

SpazRobot posted:

Is anyone successfully using Adblock Plus?

My problem is that it filters all traffic on port 80...which evidently includes all incoming and outgoing MMS messages. SMS messages (pure text) make it through just fine, but any images or group texts just timeout on send as long as I have ABP enabled.

I'm using a N5 on AT&T.

I use adaway, requires root. It modifies the host file and blocks the ads. I didn't like adblock plus. I'm also on the N5 and haven't had any problems with Ad away. Its not available on the play store:

http://sufficientlysecure.org/index.php/adaway/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Installing a single apk isn't really CJing.

Civil posted:

GPE is terrible. Poor use of screen real estate, and it feels like iOS6 with google now on the left. No customization. You actually prefer it over a launcher with options?

Poor use of screen real estate? It holds the same number of apps and widgets the old launcher did. It does everything you need it to.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

r0ck0 posted:

I use adaway, requires root. It modifies the host file and blocks the ads. I didn't like adblock plus. I'm also on the N5 and haven't had any problems with Ad away. Its not available on the play store:

http://sufficientlysecure.org/index.php/adaway/
I was just about to post the same. I've never had any issues with AdAway and it removes 100% of the crap when surfing.
I believe you only need root when you apply updates to your host file, so it should be possible to remove root access after doing that and still enjoy ad-free surfing and use apps that demand a non-rooted device, like some of the movie streaming services. Not 100% sure on this though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There's a lot of caring about app drawers in this thread.

Yesterday morning my alarm didn't go off. When I woke up from my girlfriend's iphone alarm, I saw my phone screen on and a dialog letting me know that the clock had crashed.
My stock clock app crashed on my completely stock phone.

Also pervasive use of adblocking software is why android isn't a profitable platform and many developers put in less effort/no effort. You should be ashamed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Stolen sideloaded from the iPhone thread:

Paul Allen posted:

Interesting chart on iOS vs Android phone support:

http://www.fidlee.com/android-support-vs-ios-support/

It blows me away that neither Note nor the Note 2 phone have ever been on the current major release of Android.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Don Lapre posted:

Poor use of screen real estate? It holds the same number of apps and widgets the old launcher did. It does everything you need it to.

Step your game up. The 4x4 app grid was what the G1 used on a HVGA screen. Even apple added another row when they moved to a widescreen format. Why not use your screen more efficiently?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Civil posted:

Step your game up. The 4x4 app grid was what the G1 used on a HVGA screen. Even apple added another row when they moved to a widescreen format. Why not use your screen more efficiently?

The nexus 5 has a 4x5 grid.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

1st AD posted:

I hope this is a thing that they keep updating. Should be more green on that chart next year with Motorola's updates and HTC's updates to the One.

Also holy poo poo Apple was still selling the 3GS a little over a year ago.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

1st AD posted:

OEM's will frequently include features before official android versions support them. As long as the majority of apps run on a given device, why is it so important that it runs the latest OS version?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Does adaway get rid of those annoying "Suggested by X artist" pop ups in the youtube app? Those things are killing me.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Civil posted:

OEM's will frequently include features before official android versions support them. As long as the majority of apps run on a given device, why is it so important that it runs the latest OS version?

Arguments about fragmentation.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Civil posted:

Things like TRIM support had to get added into an OS update, that's pretty important I think!

Also fragmentation is dumb and I don't think it's good for the ecosystem if app developers have to target multiple iterations of the same OS.

I mean, when you look at the two app stores they might have a comparable number of apps, but Apple's store has WAY more actual content in it. The Play Store is littered with launchers and themes and widgets. I don't believe there is some kind of developer advantage to iOS vs. Android so it must come down to fragmentation in Androidland.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

1st AD posted:

Funny thing is, android 2.2 phones and up still get updates via Google play services and Google Play Store since Google moved a ton of the OS off to those two places and they'll keep getting updates far long after your typical iphone will.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/balky-carriers-and-slow-oems-step-aside-google-is-defragging-android/

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Hasn't the GPE launcher gone back to long-press for widgets?

I can't believe (yes I can) they completely backtracked on phasing out the long-press menu like that, after all the bally-hoo they put into how carefully they built the UI from the ground up - discoverability, consistency etc. - in 4.0.

[edit] They also took out the live video effects from the Camera in 4.1 and up, which is unforgivable.

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 3, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1st AD posted:

I don't believe there is some kind of developer advantage to iOS vs. Android so it must come down to fragmentation in Androidland.
Just from things I've read, iOS development is much easier.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

iOS continues to have a better app ecosystem, and maybe they always will. I'm always a bit disappointed that my old-rear end ipad2 runs games better than my n7, just because iOS is usually the primary development environment, and the android app is an afterthought.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I did some work up in the Bay Area for a startup that was developing a simultaneous web/iOS/Android messaging platform and the devs didn't make it sound like Android development was an issue, but these guys did have more money and staff at their disposal. I wonder what the experience is for any goon developers out there?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Funny thing is, android 2.2 phones and up still get updates via Google play services and Google Play Store since Google moved a ton of the OS off to those two places and they'll keep getting updates far long after your typical iphone will.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/balky-carriers-and-slow-oems-step-aside-google-is-defragging-android/

Point out to me where "security updates" is on that chart.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

I did some work up in the Bay Area for a startup that was developing a simultaneous web/iOS/Android messaging platform and the devs didn't make it sound like Android development was an issue, but these guys did have more money and staff at their disposal. I wonder what the experience is for any goon developers out there?
"Easy" is extremely subjective. Some developers find Android development easier because Java's syntax is more familiar to them than Objective-C (which is rather unlike other popular object-oriented languages). Some developers find iOS development easier because the APIs, tools, and documentation are superior to Android's.

It just comes down to past experience and comfort level with new languages.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

And of course Google+ and Keep carry the same weight as "Application Framework & APIs" and "Linux Kernel & Drivers."

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't know how comprehensive the chart is, but the malware scanner is on play services, not sure about other security updates.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

And of course Google+ and Keep carry the same weight as "Application Framework & APIs" and "Linux Kernel & Drivers."

http://developer.android.com/tools/support-library/index.html

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

1st AD posted:

Things like TRIM support had to get added into an OS update, that's pretty important I think!

Also fragmentation is dumb and I don't think it's good for the ecosystem if app developers have to target multiple iterations of the same OS.

Didn't the Moto X feature it before the 4.4 update?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

The Dark One posted:

Didn't the Moto X feature it before the 4.4 update?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/9

Officially, it was a 4.3 feature, but the moto x supported it on delete on 4.2 as an active task, rather than a background one.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

"Easy" is extremely subjective. Some developers find Android development easier because Java's syntax is more familiar to them than Objective-C (which is rather unlike other popular object-oriented languages). Some developers find iOS development easier because the APIs, tools, and documentation are superior to Android's.

It just comes down to past experience and comfort level with new languages.

This is pretty much what I was going to post. I know Java, and I do not really know Objective-C that well, so Android development is only mildly frustrating, and iOS development is extremely frustrating. Especially since Apple releases tools that only run on OSX, which I do not have.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can you change the number of rows or columns on the home screen on the Kit Kat GPE launcher?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Can you change the number of rows or columns on the home screen on the Kit Kat GPE launcher?

No.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Mister Fister posted:

Funny thing is, android 2.2 phones and up still get updates via Google play services

Actually they've (finally) binned off 2.2 now, it's 2.3 and up these days.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Civil posted:

OEM's will frequently include features before official android versions support them.

The reverse is also true.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
My S3's power button doesn't work once it's turned on. It's also randomly going to stand by mode. And when it turn it of every 5 seconds or so it vibrates. Any idea what's going on?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

spincube posted:

Hasn't the GPE launcher gone back to long-press for widgets?

I can't believe (yes I can) they completely backtracked on phasing out the long-press menu like that, after all the bally-hoo they put into how carefully they built the UI from the ground up - discoverability, consistency etc. - in 4.0.

Having put the GPE launcher on my Nexus 4, that's one of the things that annoys me about it. Also, being able to go to the play store directly from the app screen was nice; made it pretty quick to get there without having to find where the app sorted to.

The other one is that, at least in the version that's available to us N4ers, Google Now has lost its landscape orientation.

I suppose I could go back to the stock N4 Kitkat launcher, but I really like the convenience of the home screen hotword.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

zapateria posted:

If you mean shutter speed as in camera-jargon shutter speed, you are unable to control that in software.

Ah, well to be exact I mean the delay between pushing the take photo button and it actually taking a photo.

I might look for the multi shot mode and just take plenty.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'd say Windows Phone development is arguably easier than both because they own the entire development stack, Visual Studio is an awesome IDE, C# is close enough to Java to any CS graduate can learn it fairly easily, and there's no OS/API fragmentation like on Android. I spent five years as a (desktop) C# dev so I'd love to write Windows Phone apps but, well, nobody has one (including me) so I work on Android instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Where could I find the Developer Edition RUU for an HTC One? I'm on T-Mobile and I guess HTC Dev doesn't have it? I have S-OFF and all that already.

Edit: A guide I found said to download the Brightstar US Dev RUU. Is that the one I'd want?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 4, 2013

• Locked thread