Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I basically can't stand using a Mouse on OS X without SmoothMouse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'm new to Mac. Been using Mail and I like it, but I keep running into the problem of it not saving changes I make to email locations for my IMAP account. That is, I'll move an email (or more usually a bunch of them) into different subfolders to organize them, and then a few minutes later when I go back to Mail, they're back. Sometimes they stay, sometimes they don't and I have to re-do them. Is there some setting somewhere I'm missing?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is this with Gmail?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
No, IMAP for an email I have through GoDaddy hosting, I think. (It's my work email.)

edit:

I am also having trouble with email sitting in my outbox. Could it be that my email server is acting up and this isn't a Mail thing?

that one guy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2013

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Unclutter just got a nice update. It's a 'digital pocket' app that lives in the menu bar that you can trigger with a simple gesture. It includes file storage (rather than cluttering your desktop with tons of temporary junk), a scratchpad for notes and now, with today's update, a clipboard manager (current / favourites / history). Really handy. Well worth the £2.99 in the App Store.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Been asked to attempt to recover some files from a 'corrupt' mac hard drive.

What do folk currently use to recover files on osx? , its been ages since I've needed to do it for a HFS drive.

I was planning to clone the drive, so something that could work with mounted disk images would be a bonus.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

japtor posted:

Panic has an old app called Desktastic that might work but I have no clue if it actually runs properly anymore (it's really old). I'm sure there's similar apps though.

I vaguely remember another app called Scribbles by Atebits but I don't know if it's still around. I think it had a transparent window function that would sorta do the same thing.

Thanks! You weren't kidding about Desktastic being old. It's PowerPC old.

Scribbles seems a little buggy, but it's not too bad. Might bite the bullet and buy Deskcribble which seems decent.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Any Bootcamp users have suggestions on how to make the mouse less jumpy? It's crazy sensitive and right-click is annoying, I tweaked the right-click so it's tolerable but the sensitivity of the mouse is insane.

Also has anyone used a PS3 Controller on Bootcamp with the MBP Retina? I can't get SCP Driver or Motion in Joy to pair over bluetooth.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Ashex posted:

Also has anyone used a PS3 Controller on Bootcamp with the MBP Retina? I can't get SCP Driver or Motion in Joy to pair over bluetooth.

I fought and fought with a PS3 controller on my mac--both in bootcamp and OSX--and found it much easier to buy a 360 controller. (caveat: I was using it mostly for Steam.)

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

jre posted:

What do folk currently use to recover files on osx? , its been ages since I've needed to do it for a HFS drive.

I was planning to clone the drive, so something that could work with mounted disk images would be a bonus.

The standard MO would be a block-level copy somewhere. You don't want to work on the original hardware. I don't know the rest though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ashex posted:

Any Bootcamp users have suggestions on how to make the mouse less jumpy? It's crazy sensitive and right-click is annoying, I tweaked the right-click so it's tolerable but the sensitivity of the mouse is insane.

Haha yeah in boot camp it's retarded difficult and yet when I paired it in Mavericks it was incredibly simple. Go figure. Those loving chinese drivers say that none of your other bluetooth devices will work while you're using the ps3 controller.

One article says to be sure to use the 64-bit version of MotionInJoy if you're 64-bit. I think I downloaded the 32-bit and it's giving me problems.

What mouse are you using? The right click is annoying? Sounds like a hardware problem.

brap fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 3, 2013

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

jre posted:

I think Diskwarrior or Disk Drill will get you through. I've used diskwarrior in the past over the years, and recently used Disk Drill once on a drive diskwarrior couldn't do.

Disk drill also lets you "protect" a drive at two levels (basic and one that takes up a bit more space but more reliable) in case your drive ever decides to crap out again.

It's never a reassured thing that you will get all your files back, but I hope you do!

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone else do a lot of work over two accounts on the same machine? I have a personal account and a work account on my rMBP, and I keep bumping into a lot of annoying bugs when I switch between the two users.

I keep finding a lot of windows are stuck in the upper left corner (only showing the lower fourth, if that makes sense) with no way to move them away from there except to quit and restart the app. Also, whenever I come back to my personal account, airmail is displayed with non-retina graphics :confused:

I thought the window positioning might be a bug related to bettertouchtool, because I do a lot of windows 7-style edge snapping, but the non-retina graphics thing doesn't make any sense!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

jre posted:

Data Rescue 3 and/or Disk Warrior, both are pay ware though. Data Rescue 3 is better at recovering deleted files, Disk Warrior is better for insuring the integrity of the disk map.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I want to enable the thing that exists in Windows where, if I have two docs open, I can drag one to the left and one to the right and see them side by side, each taking up 50% of the window. I think BTT did this, but is there any piece of standalone software that does ONLY this?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

dexter6 posted:

I want to enable the thing that exists in Windows where, if I have two docs open, I can drag one to the left and one to the right and see them side by side, each taking up 50% of the window. I think BTT did this, but is there any piece of standalone software that does ONLY this?

BTT also have a piece of software called BST (better snap tool)

Oneiros posted:

<edit> Late but with a link!

One upped!

101 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

dexter6 posted:

I just use the functionality in BTT myself, but the developer also has BetterSnapTool.

<edit> Late but with a link!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So I plugged a different mac power plug into my Air, and now it says "service battery (!)". What's the deal? According to battery health and coconut battery the "life" or whatever of the battery is still at 80%. Should I bring it to the apple store and say Mavericks upgrade broke it and hope they give me a new battery or something?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So I plugged a different mac power plug into my Air, and now it says "service battery (!)". What's the deal? According to battery health and coconut battery the "life" or whatever of the battery is still at 80%. Should I bring it to the apple store and say Mavericks upgrade broke it and hope they give me a new battery or something?

If battery full charge capacity goes below 80% it will say it needs service. Keep in mind Coconut battery isn't always accurate. A test can be performed to determine if your battery is bad or just worn. Bad = no cost if under warranty, worn = you pay because it isn't bad.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

1997 posted:

If battery full charge capacity goes below 80% it will say it needs service. Keep in mind Coconut battery isn't always accurate. A test can be performed to determine if your battery is bad or just worn. Bad = no cost if under warranty, worn = you pay because it isn't bad.

Ah hmm, so did it have nothing to do with using a different cord? I used maybe a plug from a like 15 inch macbook very briefly. I guess I'll take it in either way.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MacBook Pro 15-inch adapters are 85W, MacBook Air is usually a 45W adapter. There should be no ill effects as the adapters are intelligent enough to detect what kind of machine they're being hooked into and actually step down the wattage to the appropriate level.

There CAN be ill effects if you plug a lower wattage adapter into a machine that requires a higher wattage than what the adapter can provide.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

There CAN be ill effects if you plug a lower wattage adapter into a machine that requires a higher wattage than what the adapter can provide.

I’ve always wondered what those ill effects would look like.

Running a first-gen rMBP at 100% GPU and CPU TDP with full screen brightness will slowly drain the battery even though it is plugged to a 85W charger.

Surely connecting a 45W charger to an idle rMBP would be the same as connecting a 85W charger to a machine running at 50% GPU/CPU TDP. :shrug:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uh, I've had weird things happen with service battery alerts. Once I ran an infinite loop in programming class and walked away while my laptop was on battery power. When I came back, I had a service battery warning. Kinda funny. Honestly, I ignored it and it went away after a day or two. I get maybe 3-4 hours in Mavericks of constant moderate usage (no flash or CPU intensive tasks) on my 2010 macbook. Same battery that came with it.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I am going to give Mail Pilot a try - public beta should be out this Friday. Airmail is okay, but I've never warmed to it. Mail still works fine for me, for the most part.

http://mindsense.co/blog/mail-pilot-for-mac-free-public-preview/

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

fleshweasel posted:

Uh, I've had weird things happen with service battery alerts. Once I ran an infinite loop in programming class and walked away while my laptop was on battery power. When I came back, I had a service battery warning. Kinda funny. Honestly, I ignored it and it went away after a day or two. I get maybe 3-4 hours in Mavericks of constant moderate usage (no flash or CPU intensive tasks) on my 2010 macbook. Same battery that came with it.

Try resetting the SMC?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

eames posted:

Running a first-gen rMBP at 100% GPU and CPU TDP with full screen brightness will slowly drain the battery even though it is plugged to a 85W charger.

AFAIK that *is* the extent of the ill effects (at least I've never heard otherwise). The same can happen even with the 85w charger, since running at full tilt uses more than 85w.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

RocketLunatic posted:

I am going to give Mail Pilot a try - public beta should be out this Friday. Airmail is okay, but I've never warmed to it. Mail still works fine for me, for the most part.

http://mindsense.co/blog/mail-pilot-for-mac-free-public-preview/

And here I finally broke down and got Airmail today. That's okay, I'm quite pleased with it, and I'm sure it'll be much more feature complete for a while.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

carry on then posted:

Did you open the Displays preference pane and drag the menu bar over to the display you want? You should only have to do it once. Or does Airplay not put a display in that area?

I gave this a shot, by dragging the menu bar over to the Airplay display, but the issue still stands. I'm back on OSX now after a 3 year hiatus but on Windows when I close a program on a display, it opens again on that display the next time I start the program. With Mavericks, the programs all seem to open on the primary display, and even after moving it over to the secondary screen they won't restart there. Still having the issue with dialog boxes popping up on the primary display too, despite the main window of the program being on the secondary display. I'm at my wits end with this annoyance, dual screen monitors aren't a new thing!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I ended up going with MailMate because it's the only mail client I've had that stays under 1 on the energy saver tool in Activity Monitor.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

fleshweasel posted:

Haha yeah in boot camp it's retarded difficult and yet when I paired it in Mavericks it was incredibly simple. Go figure. Those loving chinese drivers say that none of your other bluetooth devices will work while you're using the ps3 controller.

One article says to be sure to use the 64-bit version of MotionInJoy if you're 64-bit. I think I downloaded the 32-bit and it's giving me problems.

What mouse are you using? The right click is annoying? Sounds like a hardware problem.

Yeah, on OSX the controller works perfectly but there's PC games I want to play like SR4. It's not the mouse but the touchpad, it's just really jumpy and drives me crazy. I'm running it in Parallels and the mouse works just fine but that's because Parallels is cleaning it up. There's also the DPI thing when it's in Parallels that I haven't bothered to toy with.

I got a PS3 Controller as I like wireless controllers that don't need dongles, I have a bluetooth adapter somewhere that I'll try using (so much for no dongles).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Warning, possibly far too detailed EE sperging about power supplies lies ahead!

Binary Badger posted:

MacBook Pro 15-inch adapters are 85W, MacBook Air is usually a 45W adapter. There should be no ill effects as the adapters are intelligent enough to detect what kind of machine they're being hooked into and actually step down the wattage to the appropriate level.

I read some guy's dissection / reverse engineering of a MagSafe once. Turns out the adapter doesn't actually know what it's connected to; there's only two wires (+V and ground) in the cable. There is an ID system, but it works in the opposite direction: there's an ID chip embedded in the MagSafe connector which tells the computer what kind of MagSafe is plugged in.

A supply doesn't need to know anything on the order of "user has plugged me into a 15 inch MBP" to vary its output power. In fact its output power is fluctuating quite a bit while it's plugged in to any computer, since no computer demands a fixed amount of power. The supply fixes only one parameter: its output voltage. Power is equal to current times voltage (P=IV), so with voltage constant, current and power must change in proportion to one another. The supply has a voltage feedback loop which adjusts current (and therefore power output) in whatever direction is needed to keep its output voltage constant. "Adjusting" power thus consists of the computer just trying to draw more (or less) current and blindly trusting the supply to do its best to hold voltage constant.

quote:

Seems unlikely much will happen other than being unable to charge at full rate (or possibly unable to charge at all in some cases), and draining the battery when running software which needs more than the adapter can provide. I'd be interested to know if there's anything else.

eames posted:

Surely connecting a 45W charger to an idle rMBP would be the same as connecting a 85W charger to a machine running at 50% GPU/CPU TDP. :shrug:

Sort of. MagSafe chargers don't all produce the same DC voltage. I just checked my 2011 Air and its 45W supply puts out 14.5V, while this brand new rMBP 15 85W supply is 20V. Generally speaking, the smaller the MagSafe's wattage rating, the lower its output voltage. But even at the same wattage rating things can change: apparently the original MagSafe 85W adapters were 18.5V. (With, of course, a higher maximum current rating than the new 20V 85W bricks.)

This doesn't cause problems when mixing and matching because most circuitry inside the computers isn't powered directly from the MagSafe port. Instead it's fed by DC-to-DC converters, which step the high voltage MagSafe output down to lower voltages at higher currents. DC-to-DC converters are readily designed to accept a wide range of input voltages. I once worked on one which could run on anything from about 10V to 90V, which was a wide enough range to require a little bit of extra design effort. ~14V to ~20V? Easy as pie. You get that kind of input range without trying very hard at all.

TLDR summary: if both are supplying a 30W load, an 85W MagSafe will generate less current at a higher voltage than a 45W MagSafe, so it's technically not quite the same thing. :science:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought Mavericks was supposed to provide better functionality for using a full screen program with multiple displays?

I attached my rMBP to my TV via HDMI, but whenever I maximize VLC on my TV my laptop screen goes totally black. Any way around this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sounds like a VLC option.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Preferences > Video > Black screens in fullscreen mode

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks guys, should've thought of that first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If VLC is doing something weird chances are it's a VLC thing and one of the developers has viciously defended it as a design decision, even if it's a bug.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
As of yesterday, I have my first mac, an air. I'm still getting used to this thing, but I have a question about my mouse. I have a Logitech usb mouse that has a scroll wheel that can "click" left and right. On my pc those clicks were mapped to "back" and "forward" in window pane navigation (like to go back or forward in my internet browsing), but the mouse preferences in System COnfig on my mac don't seem to support that. Am I missing the setting somewhere?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You probably need to install Logitech software for that functionality.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it will let you do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Ashex posted:

Yeah, on OSX the controller works perfectly but there's PC games I want to play like SR4. It's not the mouse but the touchpad, it's just really jumpy and drives me crazy. I'm running it in Parallels and the mouse works just fine but that's because Parallels is cleaning it up. There's also the DPI thing when it's in Parallels that I haven't bothered to toy with.

How is playing in Parallels working out for you? I imagine not too well for SR4 since you are bootcamping. Does it work okay for less intensive games?