Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Sickening posted:

What a pure toxic environment that must be.

No kidding, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Alctel posted:

No kidding, jesus christ

I owe blacksword big time for making even my worst days seem better than his. drat.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

blackswordca posted:

So I put a ticket in,

Exchange Management Console just started acting up again, giving a 'Exception calling GetSteppablePipeline with 1 Arguments' error. This occurs about once a week or so. The bandaid fix is to adjust a registry entry and then it works properly again until a week or so later when it breaks again. I haven't been able to find a permanent solution, my googlefu has failed.

So I created a ticket for it and assigned the team lead to it, mostly because he got his shiny new 70-662 certification just before his Cuba trip. It took him all of 10 minutes to kick it back to me with "You figured out the short term fix, you can figure out the long term fix. Don't assign me tickets without my permission again or you will be written up"

I want to try it next time something comes up to see what I get written up for..

Forward that to whomever is above him and ask if that is an appropriate response that an end user should expect. If so, the next time he kicks a ticket to you, do the same back. When they try to discipline you, refer them to that email.

Goddamn, here's to hoping you get that job at the trucking company. Also, what's your paypal? I feel the need to throw you a few bucks toward a beer or something for putting up with that poo poo.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Jedi425 posted:

I owe blacksword big time for making even my worst days seem better than his. drat.

Don't take the wrong way, but I am looking forward to the day where I don't do this anymore.

TWBalls posted:

Goddamn, here's to hoping you get that job at the trucking company. Also, what's your paypal? I feel the need to throw you a few bucks toward a beer or something for putting up with that poo poo.

Ill be honest, the support and occasional smacks upside the head I get here are worth more than you all know.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreenNight posted:

You should send him a faux bill for wasting your time. Make sure to put on some sweet letterhead.
He should send in a FAXED bill, and it'd probably get paid sight-unseen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TWBalls posted:

Forward that to whomever is above him and ask if that is an appropriate response that an end user should expect. If so, the next time he kicks a ticket to you, do the same back. When they try to discipline you, refer them to that email.

I think that's probably the best solution. I'd been turning the situation around in my head for a while to figure out the safest way to handle this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Seeing as how said superiors also think that he's there to get poo poo on, I think that leaving the company is the only form of remediation possible.

There's also the game of "be as passive aggressive as possible and see if they realize how much they need you," but that's a dangerous game without another job lined up.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Inspector_666 posted:

What the hell do the senior people at your place actually do? Aside from kick every ticket back down to you, that is.

This is what a lot of the SR support people where I work now do. Their job is basically, "Find someone to blame this on so I can keep watching netflix."

And i'm not kidding. I got into a conversation with one of them a few months ago.

:cb: "Hey, I need to talk to you about this server you built for Customer X, server yyyy."
:cry: "Uh sure. whats wrong with it?"
:cb: "the customer says it's slow and being all stupid." [he didnt actually say this, but it was just one of those vague problem statements that show he didnt do any work at all]
:cry: ok, let me check my notes.
*clickity*
:cry: "I built this server in 2011."
:cb: "Yeah, I know, but its all hosed now."
:cry: "sorry, you get a 30 day warranty on these things once you accept them into support, bye."

Boss later came and asked me what I did to piss :cb: off so much, he complained to some VP's about me who then laughed at him.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

coyo7e posted:

If someone from a former place of employment called me up and got rude trying to get me to come fix their poo poo, I'd probably tell THEM to jerk ME off before I might (yeah, right I wouldn't show up anyway,) show up. And make sure to tell them to put it into a ticket.

I never got to use this plan, but maybe one of you will get lucky.

"Sure I can fix that. It'll take me about 3 hours." Make arrangements, get details, promise results, promise a site visit, promise the world. Enjoy the tears when they call back.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So shortly before I left work the Sr tech bounced a ticket for internet performance issues for the client back to me with a message to call the ISP.

I did a couple quick tests, the pages took 10 seconds or so to load but when the sites did load they seemed to work ok, ran speed tests and I was getting around 5up/5down which is the speed we have right now.

I check the DNS settings and three of the four forwarders dont resolve anymore. The one that does work, is the last one in the list.

I added the two google DNS servers and now everything is working a lot better.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

blackswordca posted:

I added the two google DNS servers and now everything is working a lot better.

Serious question: Unless you work for Bing or something, is there any reason to not use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Serious question: Unless you work for Bing or something, is there any reason to not use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Come to Australia and have your local DNS requests go to America and back?

My ISP also provides a free *nix mirror as long as I'm using their DNS servers too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

toe shoes posted:

My ISP also provides a free *nix mirror as long as I'm using their DNS servers too.

I guess that makes sense. I guess I just picture Google as being magically everywhere instantly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Well, GOogle Public DNS uses anycast and you're automagically redirected to the nearest location. I'm in the Netherlands and I'm getting 10-15ms, which is physically impossible if the servers were located in the US.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Jeoh posted:

Well, GOogle Public DNS uses anycast and you're automagically redirected to the nearest location. I'm in the Netherlands and I'm getting 10-15ms, which is physically impossible if the servers were located in the US.

Physically impossible for anyone but Google :ssh:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

toe shoes posted:

Er, do a trace/ping them. As someone already mentioned, anycast. I get 1-2ms to 8.8.8.8 from our colo in Globalswitch, Sydney.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Okay, begging for help again, but you guys are awesome.

We're moving offices as we expand, and we're looking into corporate-class routers. We'll be up to between 10-15 users in the office, heavy VoIP traffic, some VPN traffic to the sales office in Texas, plus a fair bit of heavy-duty file transfer occasionally. The office is on a 100/20 connection.

I'm kind of the default IT guy, but most of my experience is in the home-consumer/prosumer field, so this is a little over my head. The Cisco-Meraki stuff looks awesome, but its more than what we are willing to spend. Does anyone have some suggestions for me to look at/dig into? Wired + wireless, easy to set up, etc.

And for content.

A ticket came in...

Your software is down! It won't work! I pay good money for this.
Except he doesn't. He's not even a customer, never has been.
Not sure who he's trying to complain to, but its not us :)

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Siochain posted:

Okay, begging for help again, but you guys are awesome.

We're moving offices as we expand, and we're looking into corporate-class routers. We'll be up to between 10-15 users in the office, heavy VoIP traffic, some VPN traffic to the sales office in Texas, plus a fair bit of heavy-duty file transfer occasionally. The office is on a 100/20 connection.

I'm kind of the default IT guy, but most of my experience is in the home-consumer/prosumer field, so this is a little over my head. The Cisco-Meraki stuff looks awesome, but its more than what we are willing to spend. Does anyone have some suggestions for me to look at/dig into? Wired + wireless, easy to set up, etc.

We use fortinets and they don't seem to bad. How cheap are you looking to go?

Siochain posted:

A ticket came in...

Your software is down! It won't work! I pay good money for this.
Except he doesn't. He's not even a customer, never has been.
Not sure who he's trying to complain to, but its not us :)

for some reason the first thing that popped into my head was "The System is Down" Strongbad song.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Meraki stuff is worth every penny. I'd honestly suggest trying to scrape the funds together for it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Caged posted:

The Meraki stuff is worth every penny. I'd honestly suggest trying to scrape the funds together for it.

I mean, I want it. It looks reallllly sweet, but we'd like to try to stick under $1000 (happily spending $500-$800 if its worth it) (Cdn). The meraki is going to be about $1500 with a 5-year license.

Big thing I liked about Meraki is that its super easy to use and flexible. Our biggest thing is "easy to use" - I'm support/technical documentation, but I'm doing internal IT because, well, nobody else really has any experience. I'm trying to bring them up to snuff, but I'm not exactly right there myself.

I appreciate the responses so far :)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What I've done today is give them my mobile number (eep) and asked them to call me, bypassing our helpdesk, so I can log onto their PCs instantly.

Enjoy your promotion to their personal rep for every single loving problem they have. Even on your days off.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Seriously. You fool. You poor, poor fool.

Next time, at least use a google voice number that you forward to your cell, so you can break contact or set auto-voicemails as needed.

Also, enjoy your cell phone spam if a single one of those people has unsafe browsing habits and somehow gets their contact list slurped! Also enjoy calls from years to come, even if you don't work there anymore.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Siochain posted:

I mean, I want it. It looks reallllly sweet, but we'd like to try to stick under $1000 (happily spending $500-$800 if its worth it) (Cdn). The meraki is going to be about $1500 with a 5-year license.

Big thing I liked about Meraki is that its super easy to use and flexible. Our biggest thing is "easy to use" - I'm support/technical documentation, but I'm doing internal IT because, well, nobody else really has any experience. I'm trying to bring them up to snuff, but I'm not exactly right there myself.

I appreciate the responses so far :)

But the Meraki does fit in your budget. 1500 over 5 years is only $300 a year, well within the budget for this year. You need to front the costs or work out a financing program with a VAR, but this should be totally sellable to management.

Also, don't under value low support costs and reliability. Not having to gently caress with it all the time will same your company a bundle of money, not just your time, but the time of everyone impacted.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Someone just turned on the last computer on my "missing and presumed dead" list that I created over a year ago! :woop: :ms:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Sirotan posted:

Someone just turned on the last computer on my "missing and presumed dead" list that I created over a year ago! :woop: :ms:

Did it turn out they were VPNing in from home?

____

I'm curious, how does everyone wind down after a really stressful day? I'm losing a lot of sleep at the moment over various calls, having trouble switching off. Apart from drinking!

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

____

I'm curious, how does everyone wind down after a really stressful day? I'm losing a lot of sleep at the moment over various calls, having trouble switching off. Apart from drinking!

Pot, screaming into a pillow, or hitting my punching bag. Sometimes all three.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

____

Dr. Who and video games.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's just some POS laptop that's been used for interns that I guess no one thought to look for despite several emails asking to do so by employees in that department months/years ago.

And hobbies. I like to make beer, and drink beer so it all comes full circle. :guinness:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

____

It's a cliche, but exercise. If you're mentally tired and don't want to think, go spend 30 minutes on a Concept2 watching the news on TV. If you want to be distracted, do something you need to think about - I go indoor climbing which requires a lot of attention, so works well for that.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

A lot of people in my department are very into shooting. My alma mater's network admin famously kept a shotgun in his trunk, presumably in case he ever finally snapped and uh, needed it.

A call came in:
:argh: hey a tech is scheduled to come onsite where the gently caress are they I leave the office at 3:00.
:v: I see the tech's scheduled to arrive at 1:00, is it 1:30 your time?
:argh: yes.
:v: alright, let me call and find where he's at.
--I call the onsite team--
:v: sir, I show the tech is going to an address in Chicago, are you not in Chicago?
:argh: yes, I'm in Chicago.
:v: sir, it's currently 11:30 in Chicago.
:argh: well I sure hope the tech arrives at 1:00!

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I lift weights. I channel all my stress/anger/whatever into a heavy thing and move it around for a while.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Google DNS will sometimes mess with geolocation. We use Akamai for our CDN and when we used Google DNS it always gave us nodes in California instead of local ones.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

____

I play video games, write, exercise. Ill often have twitch going while doing these as well. My fiancee finds it odd that I can play video games and watch someone else play video games at the same time and keep both straight in my head.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
UK based unfortunately so no guns, otherwise I'd own ALL THE GUNS. I'll need to start exercising more. Just 6 more days to go until YOTJ!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Beer. Preferably barrel-aged imperial stouts with ABV north of 10%. The experience is slow, calming, and more like enjoying a fine wine. It's very soothing and unwinding.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AlexDeGruven posted:

Beer. Preferably barrel-aged imperial stouts with ABV north of 10%. The experience is slow, calming, and more like enjoying a fine wine. It's very soothing and unwinding.

You are the problem.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Not sure how answering someone's "How do you wind down?" question with my own personal tastes amounts to "You should drink this because it's what you should like".

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not sure how answering someone's "How do you wind down?" question with my own personal tastes amounts to "You should drink this because it's what you should like".

I was equating the idea that a "barrel-aged imperial stout with ABV north of 10%" is any more slow or calming than a 6% ABV lager. "Barrel-aged imperial stout/porter" is just the stereotypical beer snob answer, hence linking to a study which does nothing more than show that beer snobs prefer very alcoholic, powerful beers. Not the implication that you objectively think it's better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Personal tastes are completely valid answers to a question of "how do you unwind" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

evol262 posted:

I was equating the idea that a "barrel-aged imperial stout with ABV north of 10%" is any more slow or calming than a 6% ABV lager. "Barrel-aged imperial stout/porter" is just the stereotypical beer snob answer, hence linking to a study which does nothing more than show that beer snobs prefer very alcoholic, powerful beers. Not the implication that you objectively think it's better.

I was stating my own preference, as was asked of us in the thread. I'm not sure how you're finding this so difficult to grasp. My preference for high-ABV barrel-aged beers has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else's preference.

I could have easily said 'beer', which would have been a perfectly acceptable answer, but I chose to elaborate and be specific about the type of beer I prefer and why I prefer it over just a regular 6% lager.

At no point did I say "This is objectively the best beer to drink".

• Locked thread