Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Season 2 of DS9 has a fantastic shoutback to TOS with Blood Oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tony Montana posted:

Also wasn't there a TNG directive that everyone had to be chill in the inner circle and crew? The conflict had to come from outside this time? I think I heard that and if it was Gene or one of those old-school dudes pushing it for originality, like in the bible saying 'no Vulcan poo poo' - kudos to them.

No, no kudos to them. I like TNG a lot, but not as much as TOS or DS9 because the cast has zero conflict. On their own, the characters can be interesting, but they just don't have interesting relationships with each other.

Picard\Beverly and Riker\Troi had a little sexual tension, and Geordi and Data would hang out a lot, but that's the gist of it.

In DS9 Miles and Julian were best bros, Julian has this weird relationship with Garak, Odo and Quark were best frenemies, Worf married Dax as she was a Klingon weeaboo, Sisko was a family man as was really close to Jake (really the only onscreen captain with a family life), the Quark\Rom\Nog family dynamic was interesting, Jake and Nog were good friends who clashed at times, Odo had secret feelings for Kira for years, Dax was a mentor of sorts to Sisko... and so on.

Phy posted:

That was the exact episode where he macks on a hologram.

And they later on, he meets the real Dr. Leah Brahms and she's like WHAT THE gently caress?!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
And then he yells at her for being mad that he had created an incredibly hostile work environment.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Whoa whoa, I stopped reading hastily in your summary of a series of DS9 major plot points..

Anyways, I don't disagree with that. You're misunderstanding me. The kudos is just for trying something new, going into new IP with an attitude of 'ok, that worked last time but what else can we do here?'. If JJTrek is all callbacks and fan-service, it's that attitude that is missing.

It takes effort to try something, and persist in trying to make it work when it's obviously not as magic as the last iteration.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

What character do you people think improved most over the course of their series?

I would vote Nog because he was initially a pretty bad/two dimensional character in the early seasons of Ds9 but by the end became one of my favorite characters in all of Star Trek because of how complicated and interesting he became.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

LeafyOrb posted:

What character do you people think improved most over the course of their series?

I would vote Nog because he was initially a pretty bad/two dimensional character in the early seasons of Ds9 but by the end became one of my favorite characters in all of Star Trek because of how complicated and interesting he became.

The one where he convalesces with holo-Sinatra is legit one of my favorite episodes. I'd say Nog "improves" the most, however Kira's arc probably takes her the furthest, all the way to advising the Cardassians on how to resist Dominion oppression and liberating Cardassia.

One of the things I like about Quark is that he doesn't "improve." He does show nobility of a fashion from time to time in his own way, on his own terms. Sometimes he makes compromises and comes by a bit of self-awareness that changes him in subtle ways. But he never loses sight of his Ferengi values just because he's come in contact with "superior" homosapien culture.

e: this also makes Quark a great foil/yardstick for Nog (and Rom's) partial integration to "Federation Culture."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 3, 2013

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Re: Spock v McCoy and Data v Pulaski

The thing of it is, Kira wasn't the right analogue for that kind of relationship on DS9. For DS9 it was Odo v Quark that took up that "diametrically opposed characters" space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Otisburg posted:

One of the things I like about Quark is that he doesn't "improve." He does show nobility of a fashion from time to time in his own way, on his own terms. Sometimes he makes compromises and comes by a bit of self-awareness that changes him in subtle ways. But he never loses sight of his Ferengi values just because he's come in contact with "superior" homosapien culture.

He 'improves' to a small degree; see the episode where he becomes a weapons dealer and ultimately rejects it. But yeah, for the most part he changes and develops his character without following the normal assimilation pathway.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've been cherry picking some VOY episodes lately and today I watched The Raven and enjoyed it well enough. I wish they had waited a bit longer to delve into Sevens assimilation, but the scene where she's on the Raven and flashing back with her parents yelling "Run! Hide!" legit gave me goosebumps.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

[Dax] was a Klingon weeaboo
I think Worf might have been more of a Klingon weeaboo than Dax was. There might be a different word for it since he's actually Klingon, but he was way more into that poo poo than most of them, and it seemed like he sort of missed the point of a lot of it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

And then he yells at her for being mad that he had created an incredibly hostile work environment.

Then they get married.

A thing that happened.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sash! posted:

Then they get married.

A thing that happened.

wait what

I thought that was just in the All Good Things alternate future.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Wolf 359: "Well a GALAXY class ship can't beat a Borg cube so lets send in the econo fleet to deal with them!"

Seriously worst ships ever in that battle.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

rocket_man38 posted:

Wolf 359: "Well a GALAXY class ship can't beat a Borg cube so lets send in the econo fleet to deal with them!"

After which, a young starship design engineer named John Eaves suddenly awakens and bursts forth from his pile of anime and mid-90's video games shouting NOW YOU NEED ME

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The USS Geo Metro.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Luigi Thirty posted:

The USS Geo Metro.

Half that and half Pinto class.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

rocket_man38 posted:

You see I knew the Borg had one weakness: a pre-set kill limit.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

rocket_man38 posted:

Send in the Mirandas, Excelsiors, and kitbashes!

Although at that time, I'm sure it was just Starfleet weapons being generally ineffective against the Borg. By First Contact they could damage Borg vessels (while still taking pretty heavy losses). Wasn't the Akira designed along with the Defiant to pack a lot of weapons for Borg defense?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tighclops posted:

After which, a young starship design engineer named John Eaves suddenly awakens and bursts forth from his pile of anime and mid-90's video games shouting NOW YOU NEED ME

After receiving brutal criticism from starship captains, John Eaves travelled back in time to the 21st century and settled for a quiet life of designing affordable yet upscale apartments.

And the cycle repeats. All of this has happened before.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Tighclops posted:

I think you mean the Sisko decided to design a killing machine.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Speaking of Borgs how come they are able to successfully pull off the "they won't attack if they don't percieve us as a threat" schtick in First Contact when they already established the Borg boarders are actively trying to assimilate ship and crew?

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
All they needed in First Contact was one Intrepid class ship to kill the cube.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1st AD posted:

wait what

I thought that was just in the All Good Things alternate future.

I always just assume that future happens anyhow

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Otisburg posted:

Speaking of Borgs how come they are able to successfully pull off the "they won't attack if they don't percieve us as a threat" schtick in First Contact when they already established the Borg boarders are actively trying to assimilate ship and crew?

The Borg reason for assimilating the crew and ship wasn't to eliminate a threat per se, it was to accrue enough resources to enact their diabolical timefuckery. Once they'd gotten control of the key parts of the ship, and assimilated a critical mass of crew, they didn't need to go after anyone else until the crew began attacking them. To do otherwise would be inefficient.

Seriously I understood that when I saw it 17 years ago at age 10, is it really that confusing?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Sash! posted:

Well, they definitely end up wearing those awesome (?) uniforms in every conceivable future (TNG, DS9, VOY).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Seriously I understood that when I saw it 17 years ago at age 10, is it really that confusing?

I'm bad at cybernetics ok?

Sash! posted:

But Troi crashes the D before it can get triple nacelle pimped out, and it's replaced by the E so that's clearly an alternate future from the films.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 4, 2013

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

Well, they definitely end up wearing those awesome (?) uniforms in every conceivable future (TNG, DS9, VOY).

Those uniforms suck and make everyone look super old even when they're not. Tucked in shirts is not the way to go Starfleet.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Apollodorus posted:

Eh, it just can't match the fast-paced intensity of football Parrises Squares.

Also I think they avoided sports because sports, like religion, would turn off the key Trek viewer demographic.

On another note, check this out:

http://www.avclub.com/article/jj-abrams-now-thinks-he-should-have-just-admitted-106129

I'm convinced that if Del Toro hadn't dropped out, they wouldn't have been as secretive. As it was, it was kind of a fun reveal from someone that didn't know ahead of time. And I find it odd, but Cumberbatch vaguely resembles Montalbon from Space Seed if he'd been kept out of the sunlight for a decade.

EDIT for photos.

Great_Gerbil fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 4, 2013

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

LeafyOrb posted:

Those uniforms suck and make everyone look super old even when they're not. Tucked in shirts is not the way to go Starfleet.

These ones, right?

They do look comfy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

The Borg reason for assimilating the crew and ship wasn't to eliminate a threat per se, it was to accrue enough resources to enact their diabolical timefuckery. Once they'd gotten control of the key parts of the ship, and assimilated a critical mass of crew, they didn't need to go after anyone else until the crew began attacking them. To do otherwise would be inefficient.

Yeah they first try to take over the ship from engineering. But Data locks out the computer. So they then seize enough of the ship to get access to the deflector and stop because that's all they need (which is how Picard works out that's what they're up to). When the deflector plan doesn't work, they start taking more of the ship again, which is when he heads down to engineering to discover that Data could have ended it all and saved hundreds of lives long ago.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

These ones, right?

They do look comfy.

Yeah the top looks great it's just where the shirt meets the pants that looks awful.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Apollodorus posted:

These ones, right?

They do look comfy.

They're as baggy as Gates' face!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I think you mean the Sisko decided to design a killing machine.

He really did hate the Borg.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

Apollodorus posted:

17 years ago

GYAHA!

(I thought it was released in the 2000s, ok? Instead it's older than The 5th Element!)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Phy posted:

GYAHA!

(I thought it was released in the 2000s, ok? Instead it's older than The 5th Element!)

Hell yeah, November 22nd 1996! Also I remember seeing this teaser for The Fifth Element in the theater, right before First Contact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Hart3UKEQ

First Contact coming out in the fall and The Fifth Element in the spring really helped me get over my parents' divorce. :unsmith:

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 4, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Apollodorus posted:

First Contact coming out in the fall and The Fifth Element in the spring really helped me get over my parents' divorce. :unsmith:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

The mid-late 90's were a truly awesome/terrible time.

Edit: I wonder how many of us have dysfunctional parental units?

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 4, 2013

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
So, all of the main actors in Generations are credited normally, except for Shatner. He's listed as "With William Shatner as James T. Kirk." Because just his name isn't enough.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gau posted:

So, all of the main actors in Generations are credited normally, except for Shatner. He's listed as "With William Shatner as James T. Kirk." Because just his name isn't enough.

There's a very complex protocol and hierarchy with regards to the form of credits in Hollywood. A 'with/as' is genuinely considered a tier above.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

1st AD posted:

Reminder that Odo and Data and Spock had more sex than Geordi.

Depending on how many Changelings exist in the Great Link, Odo has Kirk magnitude numbers on the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MikeJF posted:

There's a very complex protocol and hierarchy with regards to the form of credits in Hollywood. A 'with/as' is genuinely considered a tier above.

Yeah, a minor character in Insurrection got that - there was a joke in the Frakes/Sirtis commentary about how he must have the best agent in Hollywood seeing as he was a no-name playing a guy with like 6 lines.

• Locked thread