Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer
I showed up at a local place ten minutes before they tapped Younger this year and was able to get a glass. I'm pretty sure the only reason that happened is because they didn't announce they were tapping Younger until the day of so not many people had heard about it. If I can do the same thing next year I will probably go get a glass, but gently caress waiting hours in line for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Central Waters announced a recall for the 2012 bottling but, to my knowledge, haven't done a loving thing about 2013. Sigh.

They sent me a refund check in the mail for 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I tend to not get excited for IPAs, I'd probably wait in line to try Younger just for the fact that it's one of two top 25 beer that I haven't ticked (along with Kern Citra...).

I just now realized I never drank the last bottle of Citra I have sitting in the bottom of my fridge.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
There were no BCBS on display at State Line Liquors (they are making a list of reservations apparently), but the beer buyer dude was nice enough to hook me up with a 4 pack! I like to think my Stone jacket pushed them to help me out. Well that and only wanting to get a single pack and not something ridiculous.

Anyway... just as incredible as I remember it. Gonna hold a bottle to age. Maybe get on that list for some more for more aging experiments (yeah right I'll drink them all.)

Hopefully they'll get the coffee version as well. He said he knows they are getting the barleywine. On those lists now.

He also said they haven't received any FW 17 or Velvet Merkin, but they should get that soon as well. On those lists.

The place is a good hour away from me, but it is definitely worth the drive! :D

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is TONS of BCBS and BCBW in south Florida. Its beautiful really. However the only place I have seen with coffee or backyard have been bars. I haven't seen any for retail.

edit: By tons, I mean I could go buy a case of each at like 4 or 5 different places. Every place has had a whole display of it with minimum 10 cases. And this is after the rush from everyone buying it.

swickles fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 4, 2013

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
If anyone needs any and can't find it in the DC/Baltimore area let me know. I have a bunch.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

swickles posted:

There is TONS of BCBS and BCBW in south Florida. Its beautiful really. However the only place I have seen with coffee or backyard have been bars. I haven't seen any for retail.

edit: By tons, I mean I could go buy a case of each at like 4 or 5 different places. Every place has had a whole display of it with minimum 10 cases. And this is after the rush from everyone buying it.

Here in Tampa we haven't had tons per say except at the bars, but I've been able to grab one of each four-pack and a Backyard Rye. :toot:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A single case of Velvet Merkin magically appeared at my store. :toot: BCBS should hopefully be hitting here within the week?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I have a feeling if/when BCBS ever hits shelves here in Oregon, it's gonna go fast. I hope I'm wrong though, if not I'll probably be reaching out to some of you guys with an apparent abundance. Meanwhile FW XVII will probably sit on shelves forever, much like XVI (it's still on shelves here.)

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Dropped into my local Whole Foods after work to grab some soup for my wife who was home sick, and stumbled across a nice surprise.

http://imgur.com/qcKSaXT

:cheers:

Cracked a Bourbon County Coffee tonight to celebrate, and it's loving delicious. Good call whoever said that it tastes like fresh-roasted coffee smells.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Having my first ever BCBS at All Star Pizza in the Northland here in KC, and drat. It lives up to the hype.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Wow what a score! Some nice Chicagoan needs to hook me up with a prop!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Cervixalot posted:

Dropped into my local Whole Foods after work to grab some soup for my wife who was home sick, and stumbled across a nice surprise.

http://imgur.com/qcKSaXT

:cheers:

Cracked a Bourbon County Coffee tonight to celebrate, and it's loving delicious. Good call whoever said that it tastes like fresh-roasted coffee smells.

Nice! I didn't think any variants still existed in the wild.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Had a friend just tell me Caractere Rouge is nearly as good as AR, maybe a little more complex but doesn't look as pretty in the glass. I'm so glad I picked up a case of it. If y'all have a chance, don't be dissuaded by the $23-25 price tag.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
all I want is some bcbs coffee... the 2012 was so good and if 2013 is even better it just might be my new favorite beer.

Boulevard Foeder Projekt #1 is loving delicious and more than a nice consolation for a traveller.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

cryme posted:

Boulevard Foeder Projekt #1 is loving delicious and more than a nice consolation for a traveller.

Getting ready to order one of those...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

PainBreak posted:

Getting ready to order one of those...

Please don't tell me you are at the foundry...

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Boulevard and GI are the poo poo and BCBS is one of the best beers ever made

air-
Sep 24, 2007

cryme posted:

all I want is some bcbs coffee... the 2012 was so good and if 2013 is even better it just might be my new favorite beer.

That's draft in KC only, right? Very jealous. Have you had LC3 and if so, how do the two compare? Seems like it'd be more tart and dry.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

cryme posted:

Please don't tell me you are at the foundry...

I am at All Star Pizza & Pub in Parkville. They have a pretty ridiculous beer selection, and any gaps are filled just up the road at Rusty Horse Tavern.

So... I just inadvertently "invented" a delicious and blasphemous concoction. I made a comment to the waitress that Foeder layered on BCBS would be amazing. She made it happen, and served it in shot glasses to me, my wife, herself, a few people at the bar, and of course, the bartender who actually made it. Survey says... It's amazing.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Get a full glass

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

air- posted:

That's draft in KC only, right? Very jealous. Have you had LC3 and if so, how do the two compare? Seems like it'd be more tart and dry.

I've had LC3 and I prefer the Foeder. It's actually a bit brighter and a tad sweeter, but very well balanced.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone had Proprietor's yet? That's the only variant I haven't actually tasted.

Between BCBS regular, coffee and Backyard Rye, i'm super impressed with the offerings this year so far. Need to try the BW again, as the only time I tasted was quite late into the day at FOBAB.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ubik posted:

So one batch getting labeled 14.2% ABV and one 14.9% just means that different barrels got slightly different barrel utilization, and got labeled differently according to their final alcohol readings.

Ubik, did you get a chance to taste them side-by-side and, if so, was there a noticeable difference? also, the caps are different- is that on purpose? (don't worry, i don't think i have any further GI/BCBS questions for you)

VVV i see Nogne-O and a bunch of Belgian stuff in the cooler, not bad. my uncle used to live there, but felt it was a bit crowded and moved north to Sisseton. if his wife is any indication of small-town South Dakotans, i'm surprised there's any craft at all in the state.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 4, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

So here I am in beautiful Sioux Falls, SD, the largest city in the state (around 154k) and they just recently got a real craft brewery about four months ago. (They also have a Granite City but that doesn't count)

The Gandy Dancer Brew Works does pretty OK beer (their black IPA is the best), but I think the fact they exist in this town made them worth a visit all by itself. One of the barkeeps/brewers was sharing beers with the folks at the bar, and he was talking about how he started as a homebrewer, but brewing for a "bigger" 1 barrel system was quite a lot different, and so on. It was super endearing given that in Oregon, if you're at all good at brewing, you'll be outgrowing that 1bbl system almost immediately due to demand.

The beer scene is small but dedicated. Once everyone found out I was from Bend, one of the older guys was talking about how he drove from Sioux City (90 miles south) in order to get Chasin' Freshies on tap, such is the love people seem to have for Deschutes around here. I felt bad in a way, given that it's just a bit more accessible where I live.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SUPER HASSLER posted:

So here I am in beautiful Sioux Falls, SD, the largest city in the state (around 154k) and they just recently got a real craft brewery about four months ago. (They also have a Granite City but that doesn't count)

The Gandy Dancer Brew Works does pretty OK beer (their black IPA is the best), but I think the fact they exist in this town made them worth a visit all by itself. One of the barkeeps/brewers was sharing beers with the folks at the bar, and he was talking about how he started as a homebrewer, but brewing for a "bigger" 1 barrel system was quite a lot different, and so on. It was super endearing given that in Oregon, if you're at all good at brewing, you'll be outgrowing that 1bbl system almost immediately due to demand.

The beer scene is small but dedicated. Once everyone found out I was from Bend, one of the older guys was talking about how he drove from Sioux City (90 miles south) in order to get Chasin' Freshies on tap, such is the love people seem to have for Deschutes around here. I felt bad in a way, given that it's just a bit more accessible where I live.

You are a beer frontiersman. God bless

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

Anyone had Proprietor's yet? That's the only variant I haven't actually tasted.

Between BCBS regular, coffee and Backyard Rye, i'm super impressed with the offerings this year so far. Need to try the BW again, as the only time I tasted was quite late into the day at FOBAB.

I had the test cask at Day of the Living Ales and it was very good though I preferred the straight up Templeton Rye barrel myself. I have not had the finished Proprietor's but I think I'll be opening one Saturday.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Anyone else put up their Christmas tree and have a SERIOUS hankering for a piney IPA? Looking at you, Two Hearted.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

swickles posted:

I.....I want a 4-pack... :eek:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I genuinely love your beer traveler updates. Never stop. Also, are you the dude with the adorable dog? More of that too please.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Splitting a Bourbon County Barleywine with my wife. This is tasty, but it is absolutely not King Henry. It really just tastes like a glass of delicious brown sugar. In truth, I would rather personally drink Straight Jacket, but I'm not going to have any trouble getting through the bottles I got.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So, speaking of Bourbon County...

Silly question of the day :
Local bar had it on tap on release day. So I went out with my friends, and they served it in 6oz pours for $7. Tasted like pure bourbon. The smell of bourbon was so prominent, that I was questioning if I had gotten an actual beer. It was delicious as it warmed up a bit, but still had a huge alcohol burn to it.. I was super nervous as I had acquired 16 bottles of it that morning, and wasn't that into it.
My girlfriend and I split a BCBS last night out of the bottle, and it was a whole different experience. I got the taste I remembered so fondly from prior years, and I totally rethought my plans to trade a few packs away .

Why is it so different on tap versus in the bottle? Was the bar serving it to cold, whereas I serve all my stouts from a wine cooler (55 degrees) ? Is it just "aging" different even though it's all from the same source ?

This is the second time this has happened to be, the last time was with Backwoods Bastard, I had bought a case blindly 2 years ago, and went to a bar that night, and saw they had it on tap, was pure alcohol heat.. then when I got home, it was a totally different beer in bottle.

What gives? I've always enjoyed fresh beer over bottled beer, but it seems with those 2, all I got was alcohol heat. Is there a reason behind this?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Vertigo posted:

What gives? I've always enjoyed fresh beer over bottled beer, but it seems with those 2, all I got was alcohol heat. Is there a reason behind this?

Just because it's on draft, doesn't mean it's fresh. Bottled beer is often just as fresh, depending on where you get it from.

Not really sure what's up with the perceived differences between draft and bottles, it could be different batches of the same year?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I've had both draft and bottle this year and neither were crazy with alcohol. But I've certainly had that happen with some bourbon beers. I'd be curious if anyone does have an answer to that.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Vertigo posted:

So, speaking of Bourbon County...

Silly question of the day :
Local bar had it on tap on release day. So I went out with my friends, and they served it in 6oz pours for $7. Tasted like pure bourbon. The smell of bourbon was so prominent, that I was questioning if I had gotten an actual beer. It was delicious as it warmed up a bit, but still had a huge alcohol burn to it.. I was super nervous as I had acquired 16 bottles of it that morning, and wasn't that into it.

I had a similar experience last night with a new bottle at home, poured it too cold. Was kind of nervous for the first 10 minutes, but as it warmed it got way less harsh alcohol and exceedingly great.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Some barrel aged beers are just more prone to alcohol burn, it just really depends. Big examples recently for me are Boulevard BBQ, Karbach Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter (though the FUN 007 has been better tamed on it), St. Arnold Bishop's Barrel 5 (nearly on par with Backwoods Bastard as far as intensity). Meanwhile, there's stuff like (512) Double Pecan Porter or Abyss which is more roasty/coffee forward. You still know the barrel/booze is there but it's not as pronounced as the ones I'd first mentioned.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Vertigo posted:

Interestingly I had it on tap and found that it was pretty close to being perfect while last year I felt it rough fresh. I'd wager the difference is that kegs are kept in much better conditions than bottles, lower temperatures will slow the process of aging and many distributors keep kegs cold from start to finish while the bottles are sitting in warmer warehouses. Thus the bottles will mature sooner.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Keep in mind kegs aren't perfect either. A lot of bars don't devote enough time and attention to line cleaning, which can lead to off flavors and even mixing of flavors when switching beers. Carbonation can be miscalibrated, impacting mouthfeel and flavor profile. And if you guys' cupboards are anything like mine, bar glassware often isn't as suitable.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
in addition to what's been said, kegs- since they are filled differently and are light-proof- suffer the effects of aging much less quickly, so the really volatile boozy (or hoppy, as the case may be) elements don't fade as fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bought in Vermont, sold in Georgia - isn't that the definition of bootlegging?

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131204/NEWS02/312040007/Burlington-Woman-cited-for-selling-Heady-Topper-via-Craigslist-Vermont