Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Razorwired posted:

The DM's character is the Dungeon :colbert:

Nuh uh! It's the totally tricked out half-elf half-farie NPC who's also a vampire that follows the party around and always saves them if they get into trouble and has a huge crush he won't admit on Chaz's girlfriend's character but it's cool because he sometimes gives us plot hints and magical items but also sometimes annoying because we'd like to be the guys who beat the final boss sometimes. What kind of DMs do you play with? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

My Dwarf is a 3rd level Dungeon!
Every Warforged is actually a tiny dungeon. Their immune system of tiny dragons constantly thwarts the plans of tiny adventurers trying to steal their precious innards. Depending on the particular dragon called to the defence side effects can include fever, chills, acid reflux, or the involuntary discharge of several dozen tiny animated skeletons.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Splicer posted:

Every Warforged is actually a tiny dungeon. Their immune system of tiny dragons constantly thwarts the plans of tiny adventurers trying to steal their precious innards. Depending on the particular dragon called to the defence side effects can include fever, chills, acid reflux, or the involuntary discharge of several dozen tiny animated skeletons.

You said this as a joke but I legit want to play this character. Very badly.

I NEED to play this.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

rex monday posted:

I NEED to play this.

I swear that in some supplement for 3.5 somewhere, possibly a third-party one, there's a PC race of tiny bugs that assemble themselves into roughly humanoid shapes for purposes of interacting with other sentient species.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Not sure about PC race but there is the Worm that Walks template, that has no LA. Also there is an ECL 18 or so good creature that is an aberration shapeshifter swarm. It seems really cool but very high level and has at will Polymorph any Object limited to creatures.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait, this is new and good.

quote:

In the final form of the rule, attacks can break your concentration and cause a spell to end. Casters who use concentration spells thus still want to avoid melee and take cover whenever possible

This wasn't in the packets, iirc. It's new and smart.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

...and by "new" you mean at least 2E, right?

I'm pretty sure it's earlier than that, but that's when I started so it's where I have the most knowledge. I think there was something similar with the speed thing in Basic? I've only played a time or two.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

...and by "new" you mean at least 2E, right?

I'm pretty sure it's earlier than that, but that's when I started so it's where I have the most knowledge. I think there was something similar with the speed thing in Basic? I've only played a time or two.
New in Next. Spell interruption in general has a long pedigree.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

And not very useful/fun without some real way for other party members to discourage enemies from just charging the spellcaster beyond the DM not wanting to gib them.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It means ongoing spells this time, I think. You can end ongoing spells that a caster is "concentrating" on by attacking them, even after it's cast.

It finally gives some purpose to the entire idea of spells you have to concentrate on to maintain, I'll give it that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Asimo posted:

And not very useful/fun without some real way for other party members to discourage enemies from just charging the spellcaster beyond the DM not wanting to gib them.
There's at least a few, though nowhere near as many as in 4e, of course. Notably, it at least has more than 3e, which for Next is considered "progress." :v:

Some possible ways: movement-related opportunity attacks, tactical fighter feat, defensive fighting style.

Of course, this is still crazy with Next pushing TotM combat, but...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It means ongoing spells this time, I think. You can end ongoing spells that a caster is "concentrating" on by attacking them, even after it's cast.

It finally gives some purpose to the entire idea of spells you have to concentrate on to maintain, I'll give it that.
Previously to this article, it was only a method for limiting the number of buff spells. Now it's also a way to counteract them, which is good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

I am Large, I contain Multitudes and d100 from treasure table 6b

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

I am Large, I contain Multitudes and d100 from treasure table 6b
A heart of gold and kidneys of electrum.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Can I be a tavern? Actually, wait, does that mean adventurers will inevitab...:supaburn:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Good Pork Chops on sale megacheap means it is time to make the ones I usually make, and also try out the Gordon Ramsay recipe for sweet pepper chops. Any other good things to experiment with??

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Try stuffing them with something like Feta and a fruit of some sort.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I AM THE MOON posted:

Good Pork Chops on sale megacheap means it is time to make the ones I usually make, and also try out the Gordon Ramsay recipe for sweet pepper chops. Any other good things to experiment with??

Marinate some in the Stubb's pork chop marinade. That stuff is magic in a bottle.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Have any of the playtests previewed the cohort and minion rules yet? I know they said that Ranger animal companions are going to be handled under the hireling system, and that sounds a little bit weird.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Chop some onions and fry them slowly, and add the chop to the pan once they're soft. When your chop is nearly done, splash in some cider (the alcoholic stuff, I think it's called hard cider in the US) and maybe cream if you don't care about your health. Keep it stirring and cook it 'till it reduces into a cool appley, oniony sauce for the chop.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Have any of the playtests previewed the cohort and minion rules yet? I know they said that Ranger animal companions are going to be handled under the hireling system, and that sounds a little bit weird.

It won't necessarily be weird if they have hireling rules that are about combat/interaction rather than "a hireling is an NPC of a level one less than your own or lower and here are some morale tables".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So this came in my Email http://www.dndclassics.com/product/123270?src=DragonspearCastleCmail. and apparently other play tester's emails as well.

An Adventure for Next kind of interesting. Not buying until I know more about it however.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 7, 2013

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

MonsterEnvy posted:

So this came in my Email http://www.dndclassics.com/product/123270?src=DragonspearCastleCmail. and apparently other play tester's emails as well.

An Adventure for Next kind of interesting. Not buying until I know more about it however.

It's four adventures that tie together into a long campaign for levels 1 to about 8. Setting is Daggerford in the realms. Lots of traditional d&d stuff - go into dungeons, fight dragons, deal with traps and whatnot.

I liked it. I played through it at gencon and ran it for my home game. The story will tie into encounters season 3.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Mearls posted:

A fighter or rogue doesn't need to learn this rule, nor does a paladin or bard who never picks up concentration spells. It only comes into play for those who want to use buff spells or long-lasting control spells. A player who learns the rules and knows that an evil cleric has used a concentration spell is rewarded by being able to make informed tactical decisions when fighting that cleric. However, you don't need to know the rule to play the game.

Martial classes don't need to know that they can interrupt the enemy's buff spells with opportunity attacks, even though it would greatly improve their effectiveness in combat to do so. Spell casting classes will of course be familiar with this rule because they themselves will be casting similar effects and want to avoid losing them to opportunity attacks.

Player skill! :downs:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ritorix posted:

It's four adventures that tie together into a long campaign for levels 1 to about 8. Setting is Daggerford in the realms. Lots of traditional d&d stuff - go into dungeons, fight dragons, deal with traps and whatnot.

I liked it. I played through it at gencon and ran it for my home game. The story will tie into encounters season 3.

The description in the link makes it sounds like the blandest most generic thing ever. Does it go beyond the basic tropes and have anything to make it stand out?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

rex monday posted:

I NEED to play this.
You could set a session like The Fantastic Voyage.

"Our Warforged is breaking down! We must shrink ourselves and journey into his systems to repair the damage!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jimbozig posted:

The description in the link makes it sounds like the blandest most generic thing ever. Does it go beyond the basic tropes and have anything to make it stand out?

There is a preview. But it dose not explain much.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Without doing a whole writeup/review on the book I'm not sure what else to say about it. It's not the best adventure ever written, but it's the best thing for Next (alongside Mines of Madness, which wins 'best comedy option') and a lot better than Murder in Baldur's Gate.

As for what you get, it boils down to 4 dungeon crawls, 1 home base town and the side quests and random encounters that link everything together.

The 1st dungeon is a sun god temple taken over by a black dragon + corrupted lizardmen. That's for the 1st-level group. So you get to the dragon and have to figure out how to avoid or bargain with it. While my group was playing, we found a black dragon egg in the swamp, it hatched and called the first person it saw mama. We had a cute, acid-drooling baby dragon following us around until daddy dragon saw and bargained for its return. When I ran it, my players scared off the baby, but instead found a cursed mirror that makes you stare into it. They gave it to the dragon as a gift, and bugged out while he admired himself.

Dungeon 2 is an old adventurer's lair full of traps and loot, family members' tombs, and the family members that never quite departed. This is easily the best dungeon of the 4. There's a lich in here (somewhat friendly), a medusa and her flesh golem servant, lurkers (floor/ceiling monsters), ghosts and other weird stuff. This is for a party around level 3. Getting around and getting the mcguffin in such a dangerous place is interesting.

Dungeon 3 is an old dwarven stronghold full of orcs, most of the stuff in here ties the campaign story together and I'll leave it at that. 4 is Dragonspear Castle, also known as Hellgate Keep. By the time you get here the party is pretty geared and leveled to 8-10 or so, and you are fighting stuff like vampires and fiends. The climactic battle involves 2 wizards and a death knight flying at you on wyverns. Good luck with that.

Random encounters are there if you want. Some are '2d4 trolls' and some are unique locations. While running it for my home group, they were traveling through a swamp and I rolled up a hag for an encounter. So they come upon a lonely hut in the swamp with the smell of sweet, sweet cookies blowing on the breeze. "Oh gently caress no, run!" was the response. Can't say I disagree with that.

We were just talking about the Dragonspear Castle - Encounters link, and here comes the new announcement:

http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/scourgesc

ritorix fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 8, 2013

knux911
Nov 21, 2012
New Legends and Lore is up - The Ever-Elusive Feel:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/2013Feel

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

:eng101: Dragonspear Castle and Hellgate Keep are two entirely different devil-infested ruins.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

knux911 posted:

Why would you ever place any significance on the specific title of a class? If your "feel" and perception of a class is sort of contrary to the more fundamental aspects of it and it simultaneously falls neatly within the wheelhouse of a different class entirely it seems sort of sensible to just make the other loving class. When you want to make a fighter who's a survivalist and uses bows as his primary weapon you don't throw up your hands and say you're not being accommodated to or that there's not enough customization; You use your brain for a split second and realize you've mentally crossed ranger with fighter and then promptly roll a ranger. This article paints that as a bad thing and I don't understand. If you can make the class that performs the way you want to in every aspect but it's not named what you want and that's unacceptable it's like what.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Why would you ever place any significance on the specific title of a class? If your "feel" and perception of a class is sort of contrary to the more fundamental aspects of it and it simultaneously falls neatly within the wheelhouse of a different class entirely it seems sort of sensible to just make the other loving class. When you want to make a fighter who's a survivalist and uses bows as his primary weapon you don't throw up your hands and say you're not being accommodated to or that there's not enough customization; You use your brain for a split second and realize you've mentally crossed ranger with fighter and then promptly roll a ranger. This article paints that as a bad thing and I don't understand. If you can make the class that performs the way you want to in every aspect but it's not named what you want and that's unacceptable it's like what.

I've actually seen this line of thinking from other people before. They seem to think every class should be capable of anything if you build it right and that the game needs to accommodate whatever weird build you come up with. I had a friend who was obsessed with the idea of a "wizard with a sword" and he would write these lengthy diatribes to me about why 4E sucked because he couldn't play this character he wanted to play and he can do it in 3.5 and Next therefore they're better. I responded with both Bladesinger and Swordmage but he said that those "just weren't the same".

knux911 posted:

I like that he uses armor types as an example seeing as dexterity is so incredibly powerful in Next that every character should start with a 14 in it which pretty much negates heavy armor as a thing.

Also he honestly feel like they've successfully made classes that players can add "unique flavor to? With the reduced amount of options (unless you're a caster, of course) at my Encounters table every low-level fighter or barbarian felt exactly the same.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
3.x broke people.

The truth is that 3.x fans do not want classes in the first place. They want a very loose label that can be connected to whatever it is that they make. A class is something rigid and defined; that's anathema to them. 3.x somewhat fittingly is a points and skills based game dressed up like a class based game.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

knux911 posted:

That should be the title of an A/T thread about Dating in High School

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The article is a giant pile of tripe for a number of reasons, but the general gist is not a problem. What they're basically saying, ish, is that people will often look at the name and description of the class before the mechanics. So if I want to make a guy who shits out a tonne of damage using weapons, the class called Fighter is going to catch my eye. If that class is hardcoded around soaking damage rather than dishing it out then that name/role disconnect is actually a problem. Is it a big problem or one worth fixing? Maybe, maybe not. But it is still a problem.

Designing the game around being able to take the class Fighter and be able to easily build either a Soak All The Damage fighter or a Deal All The Damage fighter is not in itself a bad thing. Hard to do, but not bad to try. Even if it's just that after picking Fighter you are then asked "Do you want to take the Hurt People or Soak Up Damage class starters?"

The problem with this approach, which they are very careful not to mention, is that D&D has Baggage. On the one hand you have the Ranger, a nature-obsessed loner who fights with two swords and a bow. On the other hand you have a class named Fighter, which could mean anything from a dude with a giant axe to, well, a nature-obsessed loner who fights with two swords and a bow. Either of these approaches would work fine, but you're trying to cram both of them into the same game. You can either have a game where the class names are pretty generic and you build what you want with the bits available, or you have a game where all the classes have very specific mechanics and fluff attached. Neither is innately superior, but you can't do both at the same time.

Which is, it appears, what the article is claiming they've decided to do.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PeterWeller posted:

:eng101: Dragonspear Castle and Hellgate Keep are two entirely different devil-infested ruins.

Pfft, typical of the realms. The kitchen sink setting even comes with extra sinks.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ritorix posted:

Pfft, typical of the realms. The kitchen sink setting even comes with extra sinks.

Hey, I think you'll find that one is an elven ruin, and the other human; and one threatens the North, while the other threatens the Sword Coast North.

:v:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Splicer posted:

Designing the game around being able to take the class Fighter and be able to easily build either a Soak All The Damage fighter or a Deal All The Damage fighter is not in itself a bad thing. Hard to do, but not bad to try. Even if it's just that after picking Fighter you are then asked "Do you want to take the Hurt People or Soak Up Damage class starters?"

I think having well-defined role mechanics that are divorced from class would go a long way. Also, junk the concept of class skills; let the Party Composition Mini-Game handle covering all the bases.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Splicer posted:

The problem with this approach, which they are very careful not to mention, is that D&D has Baggage. On the one hand you have the Ranger, a nature-obsessed loner who fights with two swords and a bow. On the other hand you have a class named Fighter, which could mean anything from a dude with a giant axe to, well, a nature-obsessed loner who fights with two swords and a bow. Either of these approaches would work fine, but you're trying to cram both of them into the same game. You can either have a game where the class names are pretty generic and you build what you want with the bits available, or you have a game where all the classes have very specific mechanics and fluff attached. Neither is innately superior, but you can't do both at the same time.

Which is, it appears, what the article is claiming they've decided to do.

One of the problems is that most of this baggage is, by and large, accidental and caused only by D&D's extremely long periods of time between editions. It's something unique (and sorta bizarre) to the industry - the idea that one game has to last several years. It means that mistakes that can't be patched in slowly eventually become core parts of the game through sheer inertia.

D&D never looses baggage. It only adds to it.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ProfessorCirno posted:

3.x broke people.

The truth is that 3.x fans do not want classes in the first place. They want a very loose label that can be connected to whatever it is that they make. A class is something rigid and defined; that's anathema to them. 3.x somewhat fittingly is a points and skills based game dressed up like a class based game.

Were you the one that posted that the best way to be a mid level "Fighter" when 3.5 ended was actually to be a Berserker of the Lion Totem 1/Duelist of Setting Specific Bullshit 1/Class With Free Weapon Focus 2/Thief 3/Fighter 3? Because whoever it was had a perfect example of why I told my late 3.5 parties no Multiclassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Razorwired posted:

Were you the one that posted that the best way to be a mid level "Fighter" when 3.5 ended was actually to be a Berserker of the Lion Totem 1/Duelist of Setting Specific Bullshit 1/Class With Free Weapon Focus 2/Thief 3/Fighter 3? Because whoever it was had a perfect example of why I told my late 3.5 parties no Multiclassing.

Essentially the best way to do anything mechanically in 3.5e is to multiclass, and all a five-class non-caster character is going to do is spam one tactic forever. All such characters are sort of like samurai who train all their lives to master a single Iaijutsu sword-stroke technique that, when executed perfectly, ASSURES DEATH, except the path to enlightenment is to climb a mountain of inelegant bullshit mechanics, hammer it into a perfectly square peg, and then stuff it down the round hole that is your character sheet. But the ideal is to destroy your opponent in a single round, simultaneously counteracting his attempt to likewise destroy you in a single round. This is the highest ideal of any combat that you can serve in 3E.

Do not play 3E.

• Locked thread