Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jade Mage posted:

Hey, I'm extremely new to wargaming (first ever minis bought today) and was wondering about two things.

1) With what should I attach the parts. I've heard a lot about pinning, but is that the only/best way to do things?

2) Painting comes after piecing together the little blokes, right? Wouldn't that make the little nooks and crannies beneath arms and such a serious pain to paint?

(Additionally, I'm painting Infinity miniatures, if this makes any difference.)

Welcome to this hobby OR run while you can.

It really depends on the individual model how you want to assemble it. I think Infinity are all metal models, so you'll want to use superglue (aka CA/Cyanoacrylate glue) to bond the two pieces. Depending on the join and the pieces, you may want to pin them for additional security. Here is a little pinning tutorial to get you started. I eventually got tired of my joints popping off, so I started pinning everything. Then again, I'm a little OCD...

Painting order is up to personal preference. Some people do it after, because if it's a hard-to-access area, then it's probably also difficult to see, so it doesn't matter if you paint way down in there. Other people like to paint first, then assemble, but remember not to paint the surfaces that you'll be gluing together, or it'll be a weak bond.

[edit] Fixed my link. :downs:

Aranan fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

That's a nice brush thrall write-up.

I've got a few things to add:

Pinning is effective for one or two reasons. First, it increases the surface area of the join. Ensure there is space between the pin and the hole. You want glue in that space. No or less glue = less bonding. Second, when you double pin you counter-act how easily superglue can be broken with a twist. Double pinning improves flush joins.

Kicker: faster, but weaker bond.

Someone once told me that a little bit of moisture and pressure will speed the bonding of superglue. It seemed to work. In fact, I've noticed that my superglue is less effective in the dry winter months.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Under 15 posted:

On the topic of less is more, I want to share my rattlecan method because I've been spraying a lot of dudes lately. I used to piss through a lot of spray paint because I'd stand the models up (usually taping them down so they wouldn't tip over) on a box top and spray them like that. I've saved an awful lot of spray paint by laying them down in a circle, bases pointed inward. Doing that, you can spray in gentle arcs rather than off into space, and you can rotate the box top with your wrist and make sure that all the time you are spraying, you're getting a model, and not the bottom of a base or nothing. It's easy to piss through primer if you aren't thinking about it.

I saw a really interesting priming tutorial where they used a paint stirrer which you can pick up for free from most home improvement places and some cheap double sided tape(though I bet blu tac would work too) and then started spraying. The thin stirrer is strong enough to hold the models and you can pick them up and move them around as you spray. I usually use a piece of cardboard but I'm going to try this out next time.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Jonny Nox posted:

Hold on, you guys don't have game stores like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5WlI2tXr4

Admittedly they've remodeled since then so they have more space for magic, there's a store tour video on YouTube too that shows their new decorations.

Sentry box is the poo poo. Probably my favorite place in calgary

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

jodai posted:

I saw a really interesting priming tutorial where they used a paint stirrer which you can pick up for free from most home improvement places and some cheap double sided tape(though I bet blu tac would work too) and then started spraying. The thin stirrer is strong enough to hold the models and you can pick them up and move them around as you spray. I usually use a piece of cardboard but I'm going to try this out next time.

You can also just put on a rubber glove and hold the model in your hand.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

If you're only priming a few models and not a giant batch, I've always found those kinds of methods to go so much farther when applying primer. One I use is a left over long piece of GW modular tray and those binder clips. Can fit 5 terminator size models on it an can hit the models from every angel you need while keeping your hand clean.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Finding this page really useful for some basic sculpting;

http://www.steamforged.com/sculpting-101-chains-chainmail-and-belt-buckles/

http://www.steamforged.com/painting-and-modelling/

I'm trying to make my own broken swords, armour, belts etc to put on ruins and ruin bases.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 4, 2013

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can also just put on a rubber glove and hold the model in your hand.

Oh yeah, the person was wearing a glove. I guess the idea was you can do several models at the same time.

For some reason, just holding the model in my hand and priming it never really came to mind but that would work really well for models with flaring capes, wings or dramatic poses that make it hard to spray down otherwise. I usually just use brush on gesso but I'm getting into warhammer and speeding up the whole process would be nice.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

MisterG posted:

Someone once told me that a little bit of moisture and pressure will speed the bonding of superglue. It seemed to work. In fact, I've noticed that my superglue is less effective in the dry winter months.

This is absolutely true, and you are not imagining the humidity effect either. Water (hydroxyl groups, technically) is the catalyst that makes cyanoacrylate begin to polymerize. That's why old bottles of cyanoacrylate eventually solidify, since the humidity in the air, inside the bottle, causes it to eventually turn into a block of plastic. It is also why thin layers are best - thick layers just cause a skin of polymerized glue to form while the rest stays relatively unpolymerized, greatly slowing down bonding speed and strength.

It's also why super glue bonds instantly to skin...plenty of crevices for monomers to bond, and plenty of moisture to kick off the polymerization reaction.

:science:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else find that crisis suits are awful to paint? I love painting everything else in the tau army, but can't stand crisis suits for some reason.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Booley posted:

Does anyone else find that crisis suits are awful to paint? I love painting everything else in the tau army, but can't stand crisis suits for some reason.

No rivets, must be a dream :angel:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Booley posted:

Nope. They're gundams with large surface areas so you can put wizard van paintjobs on them. I treat them like ace fighter jockeys so put paintjobs like this one.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fox of Stone posted:

Nope. They're gundams with large surface areas so you can put wizard van paintjobs on them. I treat them like ace fighter jockeys so put paintjobs like this one.

This just made me wonder why the hell I haven't made an ork trukk with a wizard painted on the side.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
theironjef has some really awesome wizard van Dark Eldar.

Here's a picture I dug out of the 40k thread:

There's a bunch more in this post:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494017&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=682#post417157540

:allears:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Attention Krushgroove and/or richyp. It's cool that you guys added my blog to your Wargames Blog aggregator thingy, but for some reason no pictures or links to the blog show up in my posts. Why is this? Why? Why did you do this?

I'm actually just wondering, because I see pictures in other blog posts on there, and I want my pictures on there too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Booley posted:

Yes, especially the legs, so many nooks and crannies to miss. My riptide was what pushed me to start painting marines instead for a while.

Although in your case it might just be that you're painting white and yellow. v:v:v

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Yes, especially the legs, so many nooks and crannies to miss. My riptide was what pushed me to start painting marines instead for a while.

Although in your case it might just be that you're painting white and yellow. v:v:v

Yeah but I loved painting my riptide and broadsides, which are basically the same thing only bigger. And I usually hate painting fire warriors, but they've been fun to paint. There's just something about crisis suits specifically that sucks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Crisis suits are kind of lovely miniatures.

I 'had to' get some Forge World crisis suits in order to bring myself to make them. I mixed the parts around and have a bunch of mix & match suits. Really happy with the result.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The broad, flat surfaces and lack of fiddly details makes Crisis Suits and Firewarriors easy to paint. The Crisis Suits are just plain bad models, though, what with the giant dumb ball socket joints, big dumb heads, stubby arms, and chicken ankles. Fire Warriors look great with a proper paint job, though. The right touch can cover up the blobby lack of detail on the hands or the awkward poses, which is more than can be said about the old DE Warriors (which are, oddly enough, still for sale).

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TheBlobThing posted:

Attention Krushgroove and/or richyp. It's cool that you guys added my blog to your Wargames Blog aggregator thingy, but for some reason no pictures or links to the blog show up in my posts. Why is this? Why? Why did you do this?

I'm actually just wondering, because I see pictures in other blog posts on there, and I want my pictures on there too.

To be honest I've no idea why they're not showing up, it just uses a 3rd party plugin to pull the content down in the same way it does the other blogs. The only thing I can think of is that either the host doesn't allow remote linking of the blog images or the feed only has snippets of the content.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

They're not. Look at their availability.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

To be honest I've no idea why they're not showing up, it just uses a 3rd party plugin to pull the content down in the same way it does the other blogs. The only thing I can think of is that either the host doesn't allow remote linking of the blog images or the feed only has snippets of the content.

That's strange. It's just a Wordpress blog, and I'm just using Wordpress' own photo hosting. Maybe I should switch to using imgur instead.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Why did they repaint them to the new Black Heart color scheme just to replace them?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

What's the best cheap alternative to the GW texture paints for basing? I think I'm finally ready to move on from glueing down sand.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

What's the best cheap alternative to the GW texture paints for basing? I think I'm finally ready to move on from glueing down sand.

You want flock and static grass. Stuff like this is normally generically called "basing material." I like Gale Force 9's products (especially their basing kits, that are just a bunch of their basing products for a bit of a discount), but you can probably get it cheaper from model railroad stores.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Post 9-11 User posted:

The broad, flat surfaces and lack of fiddly details makes Crisis Suits and Firewarriors easy to paint. The Crisis Suits are just plain bad models, though, what with the giant dumb ball socket joints, big dumb heads, stubby arms, and chicken ankles. Fire Warriors look great with a proper paint job, though. The right touch can cover up the blobby lack of detail on the hands or the awkward poses, which is more than can be said about the old DE Warriors (which are, oddly enough, still for sale).

Whoops, gotta amend my position and agree this post. I've been using and painting forgeworld crisis suits for so long that I forgot the normal ones exist and are terrible. :v: Forgeworld suits also have way more surface area for wizards.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Sorry let me rephrase that. What is a textured paint for basing that isn't from GW but closely matches the Citadel Texture paints?

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

Sorry let me rephrase that. What is a textured paint for basing that isn't from GW but closely matches the Citadel Texture paints?

I believe vallejo make texture paint

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

dishwasherlove posted:

Vallejo Water & Stone: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/water-_-stone/family/21

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

dishwasherlove posted:

Coat d'Arms make some that comes in a nice big pot and a variety of colours.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

I got a jar of Vallejo Black Lava not too long ago to base a bunch of Flames of War stuff and it's pretty fantastic. I slather that poo poo on pretty much everything now instead of using sand or fine gravel like I used to.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

dishwasherlove posted:

http://www.liquitex.com/EffectsMediums/

Black Lava or Natural Sand are good options.

I got mine at Michaels (don't forget your 40% coupon).

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 5, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How the gently caress do you paint white because this is miserable

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Only use the very best paint, many whites are poo poo. Paint white over a light grey base coat. Apply multiple coats of white, and brush each coat in a different direction as you layer the paint. If you are using lots of white on your model consider using a white primer and don't paint over it. If you are using small spots of white, tough it out.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Im doing my first ever miniature painting and I was hoping you guys could help me on the best way to tackle painting wheels like this.

The wheels are perfectly round and dont have any detail separating the black tire, mid area metal, and the inside brown.

Was this done pure free hand or can anyone think of a trick?

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Get a brush with longer bristles, the point doesn't matter. Load the brush up so it's about half-way up to the ferrule, then get rid of some of it; you want more than say a drybrush, but you can't have any blobbing up. Then, take the bike and hold it sideways, and run the brush on the wheel's side along the rim of the wheel, so the bristles are pointing inwards like spokes, or a radial line. If you can keep the angle of the brush to the wheel steady and run the brush along, it should only paint the most raised portion, and keep a rather steady line between the tire and rim. Adjust the angle to get the right ratio of black to beige.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Takkaryx posted:

Get a brush with longer bristles, the point doesn't matter. Load the brush up so it's about half-way up to the ferrule, then get rid of some of it; you want more than say a drybrush, but you can't have any blobbing up. Then, take the bike and hold it sideways, and run the brush on the wheel's side along the rim of the wheel, so the bristles are pointing inwards like spokes, or a radial line. If you can keep the angle of the brush to the wheel steady and run the brush along, it should only paint the most raised portion, and keep a rather steady line between the tire and rim. Adjust the angle to get the right ratio of black to beige.

Oh that sounds good. I will try that.

Thanks!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Indolent Bastard posted:

http://www.liquitex.com/EffectsMediums/

Black Lava or Natural Sand are good options.

I got mine at Michaels (don't forget your 40% coupon).

Seconding this. It's especially great if you want to do big pieces like terrain. It also acts as a medium, so you can mix it with color (like the Liquitex basic paints, which are great) to give you a good base to paint on.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

An airbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Prime white.
And pray to god you don't spill any dark colour on your white areas.

• Locked thread