Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Is thoughtworks a big deal? Go is kind of terrible but mingle is okay

They're really picky about hiring and are widely considered to be a very good company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Does anyone have any experiences with incubators? I just got contacted by a company in one. Are they basically just a big office space shared by a bunch of startups?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

JimboMaloi posted:

I posted my resume here back in September, got some good feedback, went job hunting. Now I've got a job offer! I have the documents and need to read them over and sign them, but the day I got the offer I also got contacted by an HR person at Amazon with a time for a phone interview. I'm pretty certain I would take the job I've got in hand even if I had an Amazon offer also on the table even though I won't start working till April (it's with Thoughtworks), so I should cancel the phone interview with Amazon, right? Part of me is saying, 'oh the interview experience would be good' but on the other hand I don't really want to take up an hour and a half of some dev's day when I'm not considering going further in the process.

I was going to say don't bother because you sound sure and the process will take about a month, but why are you not starting work til April?

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

They bring in new hires in cohorts because they send them off for 5 weeks for a crash course in consulting, and April is the earliest one that wasn't full.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Masa posted:

Does anyone have any experiences with incubators? I just got contacted by a company in one. Are they basically just a big office space shared by a bunch of startups?

I'm familiar with a couple. Your description is the bare minimum. Incubators should also be providing expertise, mentors, contacts, etc. a company in an incubator has gone through some vetting and isn't totally without a plan or funding.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ever seen a job ad that actually makes you feel embarrassed?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/sof/4217114935.html

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Zero The Hero posted:

Prepare for the future when bronies, furries, reddit celebrities and meme-fans are in management positions. Ugh.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Zero The Hero posted:

I like this job ad. I'm part of the problem aren't I :ohdear:

fake e:

quote:

This is not your Clock-In-Clock-Out kind of job.

Compensation: 40K-80K Depending on Ability

Oh wait, this is one of these things where people try to relate to my generation instead of actually being a decent company. Aight.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Amarkov posted:

I like this job ad. I'm part of the problem aren't I :ohdear:

fake e:

Oh wait, this is one of these things where people try to relate to my generation instead of actually being a decent company. Aight.

It's in Tennessee. Cost of living is way lower.

[edit]
80k in TN is roughly equivalent to 200k in NYC.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 30, 2013

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zero The Hero posted:

Sometimes, but this one in particular makes me unreasonably angry just because of that goddamn meme that's loving everywhere. Why would I want to work at a place where nobody else appears to be able to generate original thoughts?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ithaqua posted:

It's in Tennessee. Cost of living is way lower.

[edit]
80k in TN is roughly equivalent to 200k in NYC.

That number seemed off to me, so I checked it on a few of the ubiquitous cost of living calculators; spot on according to them (if NYC == Manhattan).

But it reminded me how much it bothers me that people tend to treat cost of living as a linear thing, when it really isn't, since the things that are most affected by locale (housing, food, etc) don't scale linearly as you make more money. For example, this CoL calculator says if I'm making 100k in SF, that's equivalent to 53.8k in Nashville. Fine enough, but it also says that 300k in SF is equivalent to ~161.5k, 500k -> 270k. Would I rather make 53.8k in Nashville than 100k in SF? Perhaps. Would I take 270k over 500k? No.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Is it wrong that I feel like sending a cover letter and resume written in that style in response?

To be fair, at least you aren't applying to the job title of "Coding Wizard" or something ridiculous like that...

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Steve French posted:

That number seemed off to me, so I checked it on a few of the ubiquitous cost of living calculators; spot on according to them (if NYC == Manhattan).

Yeah, same. I didn't think it was that much lower.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Steve French posted:

Would I rather make 53.8k in Nashville than 100k in SF? Perhaps. Would I take 270k over 500k? No.

Yeah those cost of living calculators seem to assume that your expenses will go up at the same rate your income does, and that's just not the case. You may spend more on luxuries, sure, but that's not really the same thing.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Steve French posted:

But it reminded me how much it bothers me that people tend to treat cost of living as a linear thing, when it really isn't, since the things that are most affected by locale (housing, food, etc) don't scale linearly as you make more money. For example, this CoL calculator says if I'm making 100k in SF, that's equivalent to 53.8k in Nashville. Fine enough, but it also says that 300k in SF is equivalent to ~161.5k, 500k -> 270k. Would I rather make 53.8k in Nashville than 100k in SF? Perhaps. Would I take 270k over 500k? No.

You are correct, and I'd still take the 200k in NYC over 80k in TN.

The main differences to consider for cost of living are housing prices and taxes, and it is extremely unlikely to make a $120k difference.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I work on the other side of 65. That area is really nice with some great restaurants. Cost of Living in Franklin is pretty high compared to the rest of TN, and the county is #16th in the nation in terms of household income.

quote:

"This is not your Clock-In-Clock-Out kind of job... *Banana for size reference"

I think that means you'll browse Reddit all day and generate memes.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I'm just saying, 80k is a very reasonable salary for an experienced developer in that area. I don't think that COL exactly translates, but it gives you a rough estimate.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
It also depends what you are looking for in life and if you have anyone to support. I would gladly make slightly less comparatively to live in a popular city with a high cost of living. Although, I am single and 25 so a developer's salary is plenty for me to live comfortably on no matter where I live.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hyperman1992 posted:

Is it wrong that I feel like sending a cover letter and resume written in that style in response?

"We can only accept resumes in LaTeX or shibe format."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

I'm just saying, 80k is a very reasonable salary for an experienced developer in that area. I don't think that COL exactly translates, but it gives you a rough estimate.

Yeah but that's the top end of their range. Forgive me for being a cynic but we know how likely that is.

Oh, plus I would need at least a 50k signing bonus for knowing I'd be working with or around someone who thinks reddit memes are funny and a substitute for developing wit of your own.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 1, 2013

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah but that's the top end of their range. Forgive me for being a cynic but we know how likely that is.

Oh, plus I would need at least a 50k signing bonus for knowing I'd be working with or around someone who thinks reddit memes are funny and a substitute for developing wit of your own.

Good lord man, you have a pony avatar - I don't think anybody particularly wants to hang out with you, either.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sarcophallus posted:

Good lord man, you have a pony avatar - I don't think anybody particularly wants to hang out with you, either.
AFAIK a lot of people were given those involuntarily.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, somebody in TFR spent about $1000 or more giving people pony avatars.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cicero posted:

AFAIK a lot of people were given those involuntarily.

No, I bought this myself and am a fan of the show.

Sarcophallus posted:

Shockingly, my interest in this cartoon or membership of an online comedy forum has never come up in a professional context and hasn't affected my social life in the slightest. If you want to score superiority points in your own mind over this, be my guest.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, somebody in TFR spent about $1000 or more giving people pony avatars.

I think someone also started doing gay cowboys in TFR as well.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Che Delilas posted:

Shockingly, my interest in this cartoon

:frogout:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I'm sure no other coders here have interests in 'childish' hobbies, no sirree.

Seriously as long as he isn't waxing eloquent at work about his pony fanfiction who cares

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Hyperman1992 posted:

To be fair, at least you aren't applying to the job title of "Coding Wizard" or something ridiculous like that...

I've talked with my roommate about this. It seems that job postings in California are obsessed with the idea of coding wizards, rockstar coders, coding ninjas, etc., I've always assumed to attract younger talent. That basically never happens here in Nashville, job postings tend to be straight to the point. A LOT of the tech talent here in TN is made up of people like my dad, do-it-yourselfers who were either forced to learn something tech-related to solve a personal problem or had experience through the military, and found it to be a marketable skill. Our state isn't known for good tech degrees, or a nice selection of entry-level positions, and so a lot of the aspiring youth leave. The end result is that most of the tech operations here are staffed with fairly hard working, self-respecting, no-bullshit kinda people. So this kind of ad is an extreme rarity.

For the record, 40k is about what you can expect to make starting out programming in TN if you went through a recruiter - 50k if you apply directly. It seems like most people go through a recruiter and make 40k/yr for the first 6 months, then get hired on afterwards at 60k/yr. Offering 40k for the low end is a bit discouraging, but it is a range, after all. And 80k is kinda high - most senior programmers in TN I've met don't even make 6 figures.

I actually applied for this job because I'm desperate and I got a response. There's a programming exercise they want me to complete in 48 hours(no doges involved). That's great, but I have to work, unfortunately, so I'm gonna be pressed for time. On that note, I'm gonna have to write an automation program using the WinAPI, apparently. Where do I go about starting that?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zero The Hero posted:

On that note, I'm gonna have to write an automation program using the WinAPI, apparently. Where do I go about starting that?

The same place you start researching everything else: Google.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
You can't call in sick or something? Just saying you're not feeling good should be enough to get you off the hook for a single day.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

48 hours is conveniently the length of a weekend. Can you have them give it to you at quitting time on a Friday and you email it back with a time stamp by that same time Sunday?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

48 hours is conveniently the length of a weekend. Can you have them give it to you at quitting time on a Friday and you email it back with a time stamp by that same time Sunday?

They gave it to me along with their initial response, I wasn't given a choice.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zero The Hero posted:

They gave it to me along with their initial response, I wasn't given a choice.

Ah, that sucks. I know some places will have you let them know when you're available to start the clock, so that they don't just foist it on you.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
By the way, how do people feel about those kinds of long coding exercises? I've gotten some that have been extreme in scope and would require a significant amount of time and effort to complete.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I think they're only marginally more effective at weeding out poor programmers, and significantly more effective at weeding out good programmers.

Simple exercises with a shorter time frame for completion still have a lot of power for filtering candidates.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Zhentar posted:

I think they're only marginally more effective at weeding out poor programmers, and significantly more effective at weeding out good programmers.

Simple exercises with a shorter time frame for completion still have a lot of power for filtering candidates.

Also significantly more effective at weeding out people who currently have a full time job and other obligations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Tres Burritos posted:

Also significantly more effective at weeding out people who currently have a full time job and other obligations.
Yeah, those companies who are like, "just work with us for a week!" are pretty crazy. Do they only want to hire unemployed people?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Ah, that sucks. I know some places will have you let them know when you're available to start the clock, so that they don't just foist it on you.

Depends on time constraints and overall length.

The longest one I did (when I was graduating and had oodles of free time) was an AI for a board game. Previously, they did a boggle scorer + search for the highest scoring boggle board your program could find within time constraints. 3 days. This is really too long.

Alternatively, the shortest was "Implement something that converts this expression from prefix to infix or this rudimentary spellchecker" which I believe had no time constraints and took about an hour for both of them. This is certainly fine for the sake of getting a piece of code from someone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FamDav posted:

Depends on time constraints and overall length.

The longest one I did (when I was graduating and had oodles of free time) was an AI for a board game. Previously, they did a boggle scorer + search for the highest scoring boggle board your program could find within time constraints. 3 days. This is really too long.

Alternatively, the shortest was "Implement something that converts this expression from prefix to infix or this rudimentary spellchecker" which I believe had no time constraints and took about an hour for both of them. This is certainly fine for the sake of getting a piece of code from someone.

My company gives a test with a 24 hour window. However, if you were qualified for the position it would probably take you maybe 90 minutes max to actually complete it, but they didn't say that part up front, it was "you have 24 hours, when do you want to get it and start the clock." They were also nice enough to send it to me at 5PM at my request, so I could write it after work and look it over the next morning to sanity check it before sending it back.

I didn't mind it as an applicant, because it gave us something to talk about during the in person interview and it was a pretty simple problem. I would much rather do a 1.5-2 hour take home exercise like this versus a live coding session in a collaborative editor, as I figure I would just gently caress it up under pressure.

Anything longer than that though and I feel like if they have that kind of unreasonable expectation of an applicant then god help you if you actually work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

unpurposed posted:

By the way, how do people feel about those kinds of long coding exercises? I've gotten some that have been extreme in scope and would require a significant amount of time and effort to complete.
How do I feel about them from an applicant point of view? Do them if you want the job. If it's more than a 10-liner, for heaven's sake keep the project in some kind of private atomic-commit version control while you're working.

If I have a complaint about them, it's the high risk of putting in possibly hours of my time and then getting no followup interest and no explanation.