Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I hope that makes it in. I've got a garage I just built and am gonna start setting up storage in it in anticipation. Out of curiosity, does this also let you use items that are in containers and such when crafting? Because that'd be great as well for helping clear up clutter and organize thing. Especially if I can make a big metal tool rack thing in my shop with multiple drawers I can rename.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That's a beautifully-written pull request, and its a shame that most of the other CDDA contributors don't follow your example.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Bilal posted:

This pops up again and again on the official forums, like the discussion about cooked meat, the people who WOULD NOT STAND the fact that cooking and chemistry were the same skill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LhgCkXUyzc
Yeah, i don't get that complain either, it's relatively fine as the same skill and the game doesn't really need 20 new more skills for each science.

At worst, if you really want chem to feel "special", since the 2 highest cooking skillbooks are chemistry manuals requiring high int stats already, the ammonia/bleach/gunpowder and a few other chem recipes could require to be learned from those skillbooks only. It's not like they are hard to find in library or schools anyway. And/or maybe have a chemist profession with specific recipes already learned? But chem high level cooking as it is already is fine, really. Hell, add a blue meth and a super high quality coffee (requiring a chem set) recipes to the game and make them only learned from a notebook (starting with "to w.w., my star, my perfect silence) on some dead drugdealer corpse. Or near in some random bathroom.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 3, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Chemistry is cooking, and has a long tangled history with it. The people that complain are probably too young to have taken a college level chemistry class. That forum has a lot of strange ones on it.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I hope that makes it in. I've got a garage I just built and am gonna start setting up storage in it in anticipation. Out of curiosity, does this also let you use items that are in containers and such when crafting? Because that'd be great as well for helping clear up clutter and organize thing. Especially if I can make a big metal tool rack thing in my shop with multiple drawers I can rename.

Yes, furniture/terrain marked as containers can also have custom craft distances. The V menu still can only look into them if you stand in an adjacent tile, but thats because V is only what you can physically see. The crafting distance calculation works on the idea that it's stuff you can see and/or remember where it is.

New link because I messed up a merge and swwu (another dev) helped me out: Expanded Qualities System & Smart Crafting Distances

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Speaking of chemistry, is it intentional that some reactions can be done with any heat source, some can be done with any heat source except a nearby fire, and some can only be done with a charged chemistry set?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I presume it is because some reactions require a steady, consistent source of heat that doesn't flicker or flare up like a fire would. You probably wouldn't want to work with explosive or toxic materials without a very controlled and stable heat source.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nftyw posted:

I presume it is because some reactions require a steady, consistent source of heat that doesn't flicker or flare up like a fire would. You probably wouldn't want to work with explosive or toxic materials without a very controlled and stable heat source.

As a drugged-out murderhobo brewing up batches of zombie flesh and blob globs in the hope of growing magical mutant muscles, I'm not sure I'd care.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The King of Swag posted:

Yes, furniture/terrain marked as containers can also have custom craft distances. The V menu still can only look into them if you stand in an adjacent tile, but thats because V is only what you can physically see. The crafting distance calculation works on the idea that it's stuff you can see and/or remember where it is.

New link because I messed up a merge and swwu (another dev) helped me out: Expanded Qualities System & Smart Crafting Distances

Fantastic. Now maybe they'll take my box idea. It'd be nice if containers in general got a rework so you could throw off your backpacks and such, or organize all your parts. At any rate, it looks like you've got a lot of support for your additions over on the github!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I'd really love some kind of ability to clean up a base and sort items on the floor into more or less the right containers, or at least piles. That might require some extra stuff for things like non-perishible foods versus perishables, or sorting sinews and threads with cloth instead of ammo, but dear god that would be the most wonderful feature.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Can you expand the system to vehicles? I mean, special RV racks or w/e would be more accessible than the glovebox.

ps. you are great

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Anticheese posted:

I'd really love some kind of ability to clean up a base and sort items on the floor into more or less the right containers, or at least piles. That might require some extra stuff for things like non-perishible foods versus perishables, or sorting sinews and threads with cloth instead of ammo, but dear god that would be the most wonderful feature.

you know about advanced inventory management and category sorting right? Not really sure want you want.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gourmand is hilarious: I'm running around town while chomping down on burgers and drinking all the juice, getting chased by a swarm of zombies, and power-leveling my melee skills thanks to the bonus morale. I'm practically in Dead Rising!

As fun as it is, it did remind me of one thing in Project Zomboid that I hope would make its way into this game: water and power will keep working for a limited amount of time after game start, and so fridges and whatnot will keep functioning until the utilities give. It would probably make things too easy with the current difficulty right now, but when everything gets rebalanced and mobile bases become much more difficult to get, it would make fortifying an urban location a much more attractive prospect.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Are blobs a thing I can deal with? They seem to be infinitely spawning, to the point of crashing my game. The north half of the town I'm currently living out crashes if I stay there too long,(which sucks because I'm found a car I want to take the wheels of off) I'm worried they're going to encroach on my safehouse.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Unfortunately, it sounds like you've got a slime pit nearby, which will spawn blobs infinitely, and without a way to stop it. You can mass-murder them with molotovs if they get too close, but it's probably best to cut your losses, grab everything you can and move a bit further away. If the blobs aren't directly encroaching on your safehouse yet it's probably fine to stay there a little while longer, that means they should be out of the reality bubble for now.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Yeah, I noticed a slime pit on my map, it's just past the north end of town. I guess the one time I went north it moved them into my town. :( Disappointing, there's a lot of good loot up there.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
So atomicdryad went ahead and merged my furniture crafting distance system, so many thanks to her. So there you go guys, go and build your bases with a real layout!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Excellent, now I can make a tool box for all my tools in one spot on my garage, and craft anywhere.

Also, for those following along at home, if you update you may need to edit your save with the lines for the new item spawning rates, or you'll end up with nothing ever spawning ever again when you explore.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 3, 2013

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Excellent, now I can make a tool box for all my tools in one spot on my garage, and craft anywhere.

Shelving, lockers, counters, etc. extend the crafting distance to 4 tiles; I thought about 5 but decided that was starting to push it a bit (each tile is a square meter). Benches and a number of other impromptu storage and display furniture only increase it to 3. These values are all editable if you go into furniture.json and change them; I fixed up the quality system because I didn't want to hard-code a value like that.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Your changes are nice, but the build is all kinds of hosed up. Hot food is considered rotten, vehicle construction is wonky as all hell, and they haven't coded the game to update world options for saves yet.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That "freshly butchered food spawning in rotten" bug turned up a few days ago. I couldn't find which change caused it so I've just been using an older build.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
The vehicle construction issues are probably due to atomicdryad going through it and several other in-game systems, fixing them up for performance reasons. Apparently she's making a lot of headway with it, but I don't think it's done yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The King of Swag posted:

So atomicdryad went ahead and merged my furniture crafting distance system, so many thanks to her. So there you go guys, go and build your bases with a real layout!

loving awesome. I try to build pretty bases anyway but now I have a functional reason to!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I haven't played in a while, so I have a question to ask while the topic is on those container changes. Does having better tools make crafting any easier or faster? Because if not, it totally should. Having a proper work area should probably make things easier too. Making some electronics on the floor with a pile of tools by your side would probably be a lot harder than doing it on a counter or a workbench with little places to organize your tools neatly.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Slime posted:

I haven't played in a while, so I have a question to ask while the topic is on those container changes. Does having better tools make crafting any easier or faster? Because if not, it totally should. Having a proper work area should probably make things easier too. Making some electronics on the floor with a pile of tools by your side would probably be a lot harder than doing it on a counter or a workbench with little places to organize your tools neatly.

That's pretty much what is happening right now, the very first steps are being made towards providing incentive to base design and tool use to make crafting more convenient. A suggestion was made on The King of Swag's PR that sitting on a chair and such would have tangible benefits over standing.

As for tool quality improving crafting speed/quality, no that is currently not yet a feature. But I would bet that some sort of improvements will be made sooner or later. Perhaps if things like durability are added to the game. (Which I am in favour of provided it's done in a non :spergin: way.)

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I just want to post to remind people that if you have small changes you want to see make it into the game, feel free to mention them here, and depending on how small they actually are (some small changes are actually very hard given Cataclysm's codebase) and if they're any good (because let's face it, not every idea is a good idea), I'll add them to my list of changes I want to make. Easier they are, higher on the list they'll go. Feel free to mention bigger or overarching changes too, just don't expect to see them integrated in anytime soon. For the most part, goons actually have a pretty good idea of where the game should go, and I want to support that if I can. Besides, although I have a number of my own changes I'd like to make, they vary in difficulty, and it's nice to be able to have a variety of things to choose from to fix or implement next.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
Well, my most promising run to date just ended due to my own stupidity. I found a broken staircase down in a house and, naturally, I had to find out what was down there. Turns out it was lava, there was rather large lake of lava brewing under my starting town.

Anyway, I feel like I might want to try out Martial Artsing, or perhaps Self Defensing, next time. Anyone have suggestions for cool punch/kickery? I've had limited success in the past with a Drunken Hobo Master of Muai Thai, are there any other styles I should look into specifically?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Are you taking over Goon DDA then?

There's already a form set up for goon suggestions if you could get hold of Pi or Jon. I can't remember who last controlled it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Yamtaggler posted:

Well, my most promising run to date just ended due to my own stupidity. I found a broken staircase down in a house and, naturally, I had to find out what was down there. Turns out it was lava, there was rather large lake of lava brewing under my starting town.

Anyway, I feel like I might want to try out Martial Artsing, or perhaps Self Defensing, next time. Anyone have suggestions for cool punch/kickery? I've had limited success in the past with a Drunken Hobo Master of Muai Thai, are there any other styles I should look into specifically?

I've heard Krav Maga is pretty good and Taekwondo used to be bad rear end, but I think it's been nerfed.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Strumpie posted:

Are you taking over Goon DDA then?

There's already a form set up for goon suggestions if you could get hold of Pi or Jon. I can't remember who last controlled it.

I honestly thought Goon DDA was a bad idea then just as it's a bad idea now. There's just no way it can keep up with the number of commits merged into DDA everyday. No, I just want to make Cataclysm better, and being able to sample suggestions from several sources is a great way to learn of some ideas for improvement that I'd never think up just by myself.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Glad to see the PR got merged, King of Swag. Didn't realize that was you on the IRC.

It's a good reminder though, that although some of the core devs have very strong opinions, and will be very happy to share those strong opinions with you (I know, because I am totally one of them), it is an open source project with many core developers with merge rights, and one dev will NOT stop your stuff from getting merged. I've had stuff merged over my objections, Kevin Granade has had stuff merged over his, because ultimately, despite things getting a bit heated at times, it's not a dictatorship, and no one person has the final say.

Basically the sole requirements to becoming a core dev is "writes good code, does good PRs, has spent a month working on the project, hasn't broken anything seriously". There is actually quite a diversity of opinions represented within the group.

In other news, my profession PR finally got merged, so all the professions have been replaced. Whoo!

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

The King of Swag posted:

I just want to post to remind people that if you have small changes you want to see make it into the game, feel free to mention them here, and depending on how small they actually are (some small changes are actually very hard given Cataclysm's codebase) and if they're any good (because let's face it, not every idea is a good idea), I'll add them to my list of changes I want to make. Easier they are, higher on the list they'll go. Feel free to mention bigger or overarching changes too, just don't expect to see them integrated in anytime soon. For the most part, goons actually have a pretty good idea of where the game should go, and I want to support that if I can. Besides, although I have a number of my own changes I'd like to make, they vary in difficulty, and it's nice to be able to have a variety of things to choose from to fix or implement next.
What's Cataclysm coded in? I might try coding some small stuff when I have free time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Mostly C++. There's every-expanding Lua support, but you can't do a whole lot with it just yet. And there's always a need for someone with a good head for numbers to do some content rebalancing.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That suggestion for chairs conferring some benefit over standing up makes me think of two things for possible improvement, since King of Swag asked for ideas:

1. Small morale boosts for using chairs and beds, at the expense of not moving obviously. Make it possible to relax in a chair which lasts and rests you maybe at most a quarter as long and well as a bed unless it is extraordinarily comfy, and obviously read while seated in a chair. A well-rested character learns better than a poorly-rested one and a sitter can concentrate longer on a tough read or get more fun faster out of a good one.

2. More chairs! More beds! You can sit on that all wood chair but it won't be much better than standing up, try looking in the furniture store instead for that Lay-Z Boy which will be much comfier.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 4, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That suggestion for chairs conferring some benefit over standing up makes me think of two things for possible improvement, since King of Swag asked for ideas:

1. Small morale boosts for using chairs and beds, at the expense of not moving obviously. Make it possible to relax in a chair which lasts and rests you maybe at most a quarter as long and well as a bed unless it is extraordinarily comfy, and obviously read while seated in a chair. A well-rested character learns better than a poorly-rested one and a sitter can concentrate longer on a tough read or get more fun faster out of a good one.

2. More chairs! More beds! You can sit on that all wood chair but it won't be much better than standing up, try looking in the furniture store instead for that Lay-Z Boy which will be much comfier.

With this in mind, It'd be nice if using chairs to perform actions (like using the blasted charcoal kiln for example) reduced the drain on your tiredness/hunger/thirst/focus meters. Basically you're doing it more comfortably so it isn't as draining to work in a comfortable workspace. Ideally also, some crafting should (as mentioned above in the thread) be faster if done on a counter with a chair, because it's much easier to work like that, and mass crafting can be a little time consuming so it'd give players a way to cut down on that.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Give us the ability to make rugs out of (zom)bears.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

JosephWongKS posted:

Trophy rooms and the ability to make and preserve trophies from killed monsters. Loads of morale while admiring your collection of heads.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

JosephWongKS posted:

You can now get fur pelts off zombears, and a fur rollmat is kind of like a rug! :chef:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can make a fur rug construction now, actually, just with the JSON.

Anyways, I'm going to go back in the thread and repost all of my longer suggestions, such as stuff about vehicles.

Also, as I'm working on some stuff of my own on the JSON only, is it now possible to make a recipe call for something that is specifically rotten? If not, then I request that a system such as that be added, or even a more diverse system that piggybacks on the code that lets you set various time related flags.

This would allow a nice brewing system, like the one I was trying to get in GDA before it blew up.

edit: As an aside, this would also allow things like charcoal pits. If the constructables could use the code. You could dig a pit, fill it with wood, cover it up and then it'd burn down over a few days and you'd clear it with a shovel.

edit: Ditto for making the still an actual construction. I'm gonna try that anyways, now that crafting is aware of it.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Haven't had time to really think about it yet, but off the top of my head more vanity furniture, like others have suggested, and the ability to make potted plants. The ability to make biofuel and to brew drinks from scratch would be pretty fun, too. I've also got some ideas for a farming system, but I think I'd need more time to flesh that out.