Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kravdraa posted:

The PC beta has already spoiled the mobile version for me - it could be my old-rear end device, but matches go sooo much slower on mobile. The animations on PC might even be a little *too* fast, but you can basically play as fast as you can spot moves, rather than waiting for powers to resolve. Account linkage can't come fast enough.

Yeah but can you play pc MPQ on the toilet? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I thought they improved the graphics? Some things, even brand new stuff like the 'select tiles' pop-up, still look like crap on my Nexus 7 (1080p).

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

seravid posted:

I thought they improved the graphics? Some things, even brand new stuff like the 'select tiles' pop-up, still look like crap on my Nexus 7 (1080p).

Just for tablets with the new technology, ipad3 and up. (phones that could do it were already using it)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One of Classic Magneto's powers is causing my 4s to choke a little. Nooo phone, stay with me!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

WetSpink posted:

Just for tablets with the new technology, ipad3 and up. (phones that could do it were already using it)

What new technology? Retina doesn't mean anything and the notes mention it would apply to all platforms.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Maybe I have the eyes of a plebeian, but the only thing I noticed (iPhone 4S) so far graphically is when I checked what AP the enemy team had the font has shrunk to a less than comfortable size.

Another minor complaint/thing, if you hoard hero points, now every hero you can spend points on to level a power has an arrow like you have a cover for them. I'm just saving all these points for when I get a Black Widow (Classic) black cover damnit!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Augh! The one time I _wanted_ to get crabbed...

I got started 20 minutes late on Magneto Lightning because of waiting for the patch to download, then had to leave 20 minutes before the end to get some things done. I was in 10th at the time and really hoping I'd slide into the 26-50 bracket, as a Diabolical would've been 3-out-of-4 to help me, but didn't and autosold a Magneto Purple instead. I am not getting up at 4 AM for the next one. :colbert:

EDIT: So I go into Ragnarok Lightning instead, get the 50 point Standard token, and it gives me a green Ragnarok. I'll buy that for a dollar.

delfin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 4, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

seravid posted:

What new technology? Retina doesn't mean anything and the notes mention it would apply to all platforms.

The notes in iOS update say

** iPad Retina Support - Marvel Puzzle Quest now supports Retina displays for the latest iPads! (3rd Generation and later)

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I just went and played one match of Double Shot. I am #2 with literally one round played in my slacker bracket.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's probably because the bracket is new. Shiny new. Go mess it up a bit.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nice, my Ragnarok is up to 5 green/3 red and level 67. Come on, I need those last two covers and a bunch of iso...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant get anywhere in these lightning rounds. My best villain is doom, but he's still 3/2 and only level 50ish, getting mauled by other teams.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

WetSpink posted:

The notes in iOS update say

** iPad Retina Support - Marvel Puzzle Quest now supports Retina displays for the latest iPads! (3rd Generation and later)

That's not what the notes posted a while ago say :shrug:

SynthOrange posted:

I cant get anywhere in these lightning rounds. My best villain is doom, but he's still 3/2 and only level 50ish, getting mauled by other teams.

Same :/
Magneto and Ragnarok at lvl 28 do fine thanks to the 200% bonus, but they can't compete with the 20k hp monsters out there.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Looks like PC version ran into a little hiccup, it can't update - it sends you to a website to update the game which gives you a "(400) bad request" error. My account isn't linked yet so I'm not too fussed.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

seravid posted:

Same :/
Magneto and Ragnarok at lvl 28 do fine thanks to the 200% bonus, but they can't compete with the 20k hp monsters out there.

Magneto at level 82 is a bit nastier.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

delfin posted:

:stare:

That's a turn one game ender. With a few lucky matches that would demolish an entire team alongside a Ragnarok/Doom combo

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

delfin posted:

That got me thinking about spending a few euros again, but as soon as I realize how ludicrously expensive it would be to level him up I hit 'back'. No idea how they're making any money off this game.

Oh, and screw you :D

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

I'm in the same boat - I have a Magneto Classic with 1 Blue, a Ragnarok with 1 Green and a Hood with 1 Black. I just can't get a foothold at all so basically when I can compete in them it's a hike to 100 ranking for ISO and a token and then bowing out because 250 means fighting high level Ragnaroks that never let me have a turn and Magnetos that throw the field in my face for thousands.

My luck just hasn't given me lightning round characters so my team gets hobbled by a base-level guest and I can't win lightning round characters to improve :(

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The downside is that it is vulnerable to a bad board. If you have 14 reds and 2 blues, you do two matches' worth of damage.

My Lightning teams started with Doom as my anchor, albeit before the huge HP boosts. Doom isn't as lethal in Lightning because it still takes 12 Black to start the fun, but it's still a very nice chunk of damage, especially if you have a Spider-Man or a Black Widow or a Cap for lockdown so the demons can do their work.

My current team is either (Loki / Ragnarok / Hood) / Spider-Man / Magneto or Magneto / Doom / Spider-Man depending on which round it is. One blue match means I can start spamming Magnetic Field, and that's only at level 3 / 7 AP so far (MAN I want one or two more Maggie Blues before I burn Hero Points on it, because knocking that down to 6 or 5 will be huge.) Magnetic Field means criticals in most cases, which means either grossly inflated damage or massive Forest / High-Tech APs and then cleanup on aisle five. Once I'm down to one opponent, Spider-webs put everyone back at full health and then whammo.

As for tactics, along with the usual aim-high, I skip anyone with a Ragnarok over level 25 or a Doom over 50. Just not worth the time to hack the HP down, and too dangerous. Villain near base level + Thor 85 + Storm 85 is my bread-and-butter because Storm generally dies on turn 2 and, on a good day, Thor on 3 or 4.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

delfin posted:

Naturally, my Spider-Man is 5/4/3.

At some point they need to put a de-spec option in for the cost of an upgrade, just for characters like this that've been upgraded long after creation. (Not that I'm going to cry over a 5/5/3 Spidey; after Spider-Sense being useless for a long while anything I get from it is a bonus now.)

Yeah. I seriously just hosed a second Thor by putting a fourth green into him. I am retarded.

Also, not mentioned in the notes, the "close the app then open it" free heal has been removed.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Did they raise the levels of some of the prologue quests? They black widow quests in venom are showing as trivial but she is in the late 30s now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Your Doom is mean.

I never do very well in Lightning Rounds unless I'm ready for the start, have a bunch of boosts prepared, a good supply of health packs, and enough resolve to do a load of fights.

I find Wolverine/Loki/Featured Villain to work pretty well. I guess in your case swap Loki for Doom. Then when the Featured Villain is Loki I use Thor until he's downed, and then just each buffed villain until they're all out. Usually Storm at some point too. I tend to save the health packs for Loki, and Wolverine finishes most fights on full health.

Generally I just hop in, get 100 points, and see what covers pop out of the machine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The difficulty rating is just based on the levels of your guys in relation to the people you fight - eventually every quest will tell you it's "trivial" despite that 115 Ragnarok still being a complete shitheel.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

The Strong get Stronger.

Where's my piece republican stark?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I pretty much have to play the whole round to get even near a heroic token. (I had a diabolic token in my grasp once but Shqwa stole it. :doom:)

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Just got killed on the iron man challenge by getting stunned from the second move combo until I died a minute later. Ugh, had moved up to the 40s before that and figured I was good for the night. Oh well, first major asskicking.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Ghostlight posted:

The difficulty rating is just based on the levels of your guys in relation to the people you fight - eventually every quest will tell you it's "trivial" despite that 115 Ragnarok still being a complete shitheel.

Do they enemies go up in relation to you? Could have sworn she was only level twenty with some mid-teen minions until the patch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

delfin posted:

The downside is that it is vulnerable to a bad board. If you have 14 reds and 2 blues, you do two matches' worth of damage.

Ahahahah I just hosed myself in one match like this. Doom turns all blues to black. Magneto fires off translocation... which does 0 damage. The dream team! :downs:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Do they enemies go up in relation to you? Could have sworn she was only level twenty with some mid-teen minions until the patch.
I recall some fights maybe changing the enemy team after the first time you beat them, but they definitely don't dynamically scale. They also might have subtly revised the PvE teams when they did the HAMMER rebalancing a few patches ago.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I pretty much have to play the whole round to get even near a heroic token. (I had a diabolic token in my grasp once but Shqwa stole it. :doom:)

Haha :c00lbert:

Well I'm on a mobile network right so I'm can't play until late tomorrow. So you might be able to get there now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally got my first diabolical card! Hooray a black Doom, taking him to 4/2.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

seravid posted:

That got me thinking about spending a few euros again, but as soon as I realize how ludicrously expensive it would be to level him up I hit 'back'. No idea how they're making any money off this game.

Oh, and screw you :D

It's me, I'm the one they make money off :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man I just remembered that Doom is getting a black reinforcement card in a few days. 5/2 here I come!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

I feel like an idiot for avoiding the forest background until now. I always assumed getting critical tiles from environment matches in the lab was the best way to go. I had no idea that a single Forest Fire lets Thor basically kill off an entire team by himself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A single forest fire could let Hawkeye kill an enemy team by himself.

Updated and holy god what is that horrible bleeping during power selection?!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 4, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Oh Jesus, just read this:

quote:

Just tested it, quick

Lvl 141 Spiderman
Lvl 3 purple

With no web tiles - 55 Damage

With 4 Web Tiles 278
With 7 Web Tiles 371

With 6 blue from boosts that is two turns to find a blue or purple match to continue lockdown or be undamageable by tile matches, and not long after, special attacks.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow, I really didn't expect IM40's yellow power to be this good from the description. I can basically max out red since the AI doesn't really gun for the tiles unless it's a 4 (which a couple of thor's red powers can get rid of)

Hopefully I can finally get a blue cover since every time I seen that power it wiped my whole team.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, the trick is to not let the other guy get to 20 Blue. Of course, I'm biased because my two heaviest hitters rely on Blue heavily.

That was a nice and easy top 2 -- drive through come again. Three hours to see if the second half has Widow covers as well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Got my first IM40 from my Double Shot tourney ending. Time to add him to my pile of unlevelled characters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Got my first IM40 from a Heroic Token from the Double Shot Tourney. Which is pretty nice.

Also managed to get in Top 10 by waking up an hour and thirty minutes before the tourney ended. Hurrah for oversleeping.