Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Why the hell is DTW -> BOS on Delta so goddamn expensive? Or any surrounding airports? I'm told its usually this bad...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
All flights in DTW on Delta are really expensive. Try going DTW > ORD > BOS on AA, they generally have a really cheap route.

vvvv Nailed it.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 24, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Uncle Jam posted:

Why the hell is DTW -> BOS on Delta so goddamn expensive? Or any surrounding airports? I'm told its usually this bad...

Because DTW is a hub so they know they can get away with it.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I just booked DTW -> BNA first class over Christmas/New Years week for $298 RT. Got lucky I guess.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Belldandy posted:

All flights in DTW on Delta are really expensive. Try going DTW > ORD > BOS on AA, they generally have a really cheap route.
Ah, the joys of hidden city ticketing.

For those of you who aren't aware -- airlines have figured out that
(1) a lot of people will pay a premium for non-stop flights, so they charge more for this. Often, making a connection on these routes can reduce prices.
(2) people in fortress hubs (ATL, DFW, DTW, MIA, CLT, IAH, etc) are a captive audience with regard to the above.

Competition can often alleviate some of this, but we're getting less of that rather than more.

(Fun fact: A couple of the major airlines actually give upgrade priority to connecting passengers.)

Thoguh posted:

I spent about a month wavering on it but at the end of the day it was looking certain that I'd end up about 1,500 miles short of Gold on Delta for next year. So I found the cheapest place to fly to from my home airport on Delta and am doing a one day turnaround. 3 hours in San Fransisco here I come. I feel kind of stupid doing a mileage run but if it gets me a single upgrade over the course of next year, or if I run in to any IROPs, it'll be worth the price.
Welcome to club mileage run.

For the future, it may be worth looking into an airline credit card that nets you preferred/elite/whatever qualifying miles. Delta has several.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 25, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Thoguh posted:

Yeah but its usually not that crazy, Boston is particularly bad. I've gotten DTW-> LAX for sub $400 a few times this year. Hell, even DTW-> FRA was only slightly more.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Uncle Jam posted:

Hell, even DTW-> FRA was only slightly more.
Spirit flies DTW - LAX, and Lufthansa flies DTW - FRA. (Thanks Wikipedia!)

JetBlue is starting DTW - BOS service in March, so you might see a nice fare cut. (Edit: I compared a couple random dates before and after, and the price on some of the flights was slashed pretty heavily.)

Yay, competition!

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 25, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

For the future, it may be worth looking into an airline credit card that nets you preferred/elite/whatever qualifying miles. Delta has several.

The miles from the Delta American Express cards don't count towards status. I could have upgraded from the Gold AmEx and gotten some miles, but the increase in annual fee would have been more than the cost of the ticket. I'm probably going to drop the card next year anyway since they got rid of the $99 companion ticket offer.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

http://www.skiplagged.com/ may help with that.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

This is an amazing website, but yeah connections aren't an option so I guess we will just take the hit. The lack of competition on the route makes sense though.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thoguh posted:

The miles from the Delta American Express cards don't count towards status. I could have upgraded from the Gold AmEx and gotten some miles, but the increase in annual fee would have been more than the cost of the ticket. I'm probably going to drop the card next year anyway since they got rid of the $99 companion ticket offer.
Yes and no.

The miles you get from basic spend do not count towards qualification, but several of their cards do give you a specific amount of Medallion Qualifying Miles when you spend a certain amount -- e.g., spend $15,000 this year, get 5,000 MQM. Of course, there are like ten different Delta cards, and they each have different variants of this.

Some people get massive amounts of MQM every year by splitting their spend between like three Delta cards.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I do the vast majority of my flying through Delta/JetBlue. I have about 3600 USAir miles that are going to expire soonish. Is there anything good that I can do with these besides magazine subscriptions? Would donating them be a (pathetically small, but hey, even at a penny a mile, that's 35 bucks) tax deduction?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CaptainPsyko posted:

I do the vast majority of my flying through Delta/JetBlue. I have about 3600 USAir miles that are going to expire soonish. Is there anything good that I can do with these besides magazine subscriptions? Would donating them be a (pathetically small, but hey, even at a penny a mile, that's 35 bucks) tax deduction?

Not much, unfortunately. You can convert other things into US Airways miles, but you can't convert US Airways miles into anything else. Magazines or charity are probably your best bet, unless you've got a bunch of points you want to convert into US Airways at a horrible exchange rate.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ynglaur posted:

Not much, unfortunately. You can convert other things into US Airways miles, but you can't convert US Airways miles into anything else. Magazines or charity are probably your best bet, unless you've got a bunch of points you want to convert into US Airways at a horrible exchange rate.

Well, since some research indicates a donation isn't tax deductible, and I'm not crazy about who I can give to, years and years of Wired Magazine here I come!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Delta announced their MQM buyup program for the year, I'm glad I decided to just do a mileage run. My ticket was $240 and I'm getting about $100 worth of miles out of it (plus it'll give me an extra 100% bonus on miles I fly next year), so as long as I fly at least 14,000 miles next year I end up even, not even counting the better chance of an upgrade, lounge access on international, etc. To get the same number of miles using this program it would cost $695, and I wouldn't even get any actual miles out of it, just the higher status.

And they are being really blatant about it. For people with no status the cost is:
2,500 MQMs $475
5,000 MQMs $675
7,500 MQMs $875
10,000 MQMs $1,075

And it goes up for every level you are short of, until by Diamond it is:
2,500 MQMs $795
5,000 MQMs $1,195
7,500 MQMs $1,595
10,000 MQMs $1,995

That's a shitload of money. I felt stupid just about the $240 that's going to more than pay for itself.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 4, 2013

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I just got gold oh yeah.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
American Airlines is going to stop giving AAdmiral's Club privileges to American Express Platinum cardholders next year D:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

American Airlines is going to stop giving AAdmiral's Club privileges to American Express Platinum cardholders next year D:
US Airways too by virtue of the merger.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Uncle Jam posted:

I just got gold oh yeah.

Pros: Got Gold

Cons: My fridge broke at some point during the trip, everything went bad, and I can't get the smell out no matter how much I clean.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

Pros: Got Gold

Cons: My fridge broke at some point during the trip, everything went bad, and I can't get the smell out no matter how much I clean.

On the bright side, if you're Gold you might have enough points to buy a new fridge.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

With the AX lounges going in at many AA gateways (like DFW), I don't know that this is a really terrible downgrade.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What gateways are they going in at? That's a pretty big devaluation of the card in terms of saving you an outright fee. I feel like there are a ton of ACs, they seem to be at every airport I go to.

Not to mention the dedicated help an AC provides you when things go wrong or you have a question.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What the gently caress? There is almost zero reason for me to keep mine now.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mackieman posted:

With the AX lounges going in at many AA gateways (like DFW), I don't know that this is a really terrible downgrade.
Right now there's only two domestic AX lounges at DFW and LAS. SFO and LGA are supposedly under construction, and several more in the works (ORD has been rumored).

There are some more internationally.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Small White Dragon posted:

Right now there's only two domestic AX lounges at DFW and LAS. SFO and LGA are supposedly under construction, and several more in the works (ORD has been rumored).

There are some more internationally.

How are those lounges compared to Delta?

Also why does the DTW Delta lounge suck so much when its a hub?

Also why do skyteam members with an Asian address get free lounge access even if they only have Gold status?

Why are all the lounges in Asian so goddamn good? Why the gently caress anything argh

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Going back to Tom Bihn backpack style carryon from a messenger bag. Looking forward to a European carry on compliant bag that will let me one bag travel for 4+ days.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

How are those lounges compared to Delta?

Also why do skyteam members with an Asian address get free lounge access even if they only have Gold status?

Why are all the lounges in Asian so goddamn good? Why the gently caress anything argh

AX lounges are better than any airline's domestic US lounge.

The DTW lounge used to be NW's lounge so there's that. I haven't been there so I can't offer comment.

Fun perk of living abroad and doing lots of business with US-based airlines. Star Gold is similar.

Not all Asian lounges are great. Yeah, I'm looking at you Shanghai Airlines Lounge in PVG. What a dump.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Just wanna show off real quick how I'm hitting AA platinum this year. I got in on a targeted promo they had a couple months ago that was accidentally public for a couple hours. It offered platinum for 12k miles flown by end of 2013, and platinum normally requires 50k miles. These are all it's taking!

-One award ticket where my original flight got cancelled and they gave me elite mileage credit for the flight I was rebooked on
-One business trip to PHX, and I routed PHX-ORD-LAX on the return
-Only two actual legitimate roundtrips: LAX-SEA and LAX-RDU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Uncle Jam posted:

Domestic Lounges (USA) really aren't that great compared to the ones you find elsewhere. Plus, I think Delta and US Airways have been in a race to the bottom for a while now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm going to be in San Fransisco for three hours this evening for my mileage run.

Anything close enough to the airport that I could get out to it and back in an hour or two?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Nifty posted:

Just wanna show off real quick how I'm hitting AA platinum this year. I got in on a targeted promo they had a couple months ago that was accidentally public for a couple hours. It offered platinum for 12k miles flown by end of 2013, and platinum normally requires 50k miles. These are all it's taking!

-One award ticket where my original flight got cancelled and they gave me elite mileage credit for the flight I was rebooked on
-One business trip to PHX, and I routed PHX-ORD-LAX on the return
-Only two actual legitimate roundtrips: LAX-SEA and LAX-RDU

That's called a Platinum Challenge. The caveat is that you can only do it once.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got my platinum last year due to about 10k miles in ORC for flights that I never took. Was pretty happy with that.

Had to take ORC because the flights the previous day were so boned. Ever flown JFK to MIA at 18000 feet? Yeah, it sucked, we couldn't go any higher due to weather and the winds absolutely ripping higher. Then the emergency landing after that. Good times.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

I'm going to be in San Fransisco for three hours this evening for my mileage run.

Anything close enough to the airport that I could get out to it and back in an hour or two?

Nope. The city's 40 minutes away, and the area immediately around SFO is hella lame.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
drat. Airport bar it is.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Thoguh posted:

If you've got a friend in the Peninsula you could leave the airport for a brief dinner around San Mateo. I've done that several times on layovers at SFO.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Thoguh posted:

drat. Airport bar it is.

There's decent dim sum in Milpitas. There's ramen in San Mateo as well if you can get a car.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Belldandy posted:

That's called a Platinum Challenge. The caveat is that you can only do it once.

If this is the deal in question, it actually looks like it was different than the standard challenge. Under this you could even earn EXP for flying 30K miles between 9/1 and 12/31, and I don't think you've ever been able to challenge into any level above Platinum.

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/08/american-airlines-elite-status-fast-track-offer/

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Nope. The city's 40 minutes away, and the area immediately around SFO is hella lame.

And security is always a mess (at least around the United counters), so you'd have to give yourself a fair buffer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I ended up just walking around a bit and then going back through security and hanging out at a hotel bar with a drunk guy who was making up a whole bunch of stories about himself. Entertaining at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone know if Platinum Amex can still use Delta Skylounges?