Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Musket posted:

Lets not kick a man while he is down.
The man isn't down, and he's selling overpriced junk to people who don't know better.

I swear if Sony had a lineup like Fuji they'd crush so hard. Instead it's just overpriced and undesirable as far as the eye can see.

When canon makes a $150 40/2.8 that's a pancake on top of being decent, it takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to put out that 35FE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

It could make a decent replacement for the A99 if you mainly stick with A-mount lenses.

But yeah, this lens lineup is rather poor just like the initial E-mount lenses. If I were to get an A7, the only FE-mount lenses I would want is a good and cheap pancake lens and a reasonably priced and sharper telephoto zoom. (Nothing like that fuzzy 55-210mm) Everything else, A-mount lenses can take care of although their size, weight, and lack of image stabilization can be problematic.

If only E-mount got anywhere near as much third-party support as the A-mount. Or hell, if only Sony made lenses as good as their A-mount lenses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RustedChrome posted:

My local camera shop has yet to get delivery of my A7, hopefully they will call soon. I got the 35mm lens for it from an online seller already. It's really light and has that weird hood on it. I can't wait to have a camera to mount it on!

You don't have a lovely NEX3, NEX5 to try it on? Hehe.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 4, 2013

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

whatever7 posted:

You don't have a lovely NEX5, NEX5 to try it on? Hehe.

No, those will be my first e mount camera. I mainly want it for use with my vintage glass. Also, what I've seen from the 35mm is pretty drat good.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Except it's neither small, fast, nor cheap. Maybe I'm just nitpicking but when it comes to primes, one would expect it to have at least one of those qualities in addition to being sharp. The 35mm is about as big as the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 which wasn't easy to stow away in a jacket pocket. If it requires a bag to put it away, then the size tradeoff for speed or price isn't worth it to me. However, the Sigma only cost me $200 which justified the size and speed tradeoff.

The Sigma 35mm f/1.4 is probably just as optically good if not better but is a much faster lens and is only $100 more. Although you'll need to add $350 for the LA-EA4 adapter ($200 for the LA-EA3), you get faster and more accurate autofocus (which the LA-EA3 lacks) and access to a much larger selection of lenses.

Is me recommending the use of A-mount lenses on E-mount cameras starting to get old?

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 4, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

evil_bunnY posted:

The man isn't down, and he's selling overpriced junk to people who don't know better.

I swear if Sony had a lineup like Fuji they'd crush so hard. Instead it's just overpriced and undesirable as far as the eye can see.

When canon makes a $150 40/2.8 that's a pancake on top of being decent, it takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to put out that 35FE.

The 35 is pretty much a pancake compared to the kit lens. Aside from being poo poo it looks like a 70-200L mounted on the A7.

I also can't justify spending 800$ on a 2.8 35mm when the same money gets me the absolutely amazing Fuji 23mm f1.4.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Helicity posted:

Does anyone incorporate a "cool down" period into their shooting while doing long exposures?

I'll leave 0.5s between exposures when I'm using a triggertrap for star trails - not 100% sure if that is long enough to matter.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm seeing a decently priced used Olympus 75 f1.8 near me, should I go for it? I know it's supposed to be very good, but I'm not sure about the focal length - haven't ever owned such a long lens. Does anyone here have the 75? How often do you use it and for which purposes (except the obvious - portraits)?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

keyframe posted:

I also can't justify spending 800$ on a 2.8 35mm when the same money gets me the absolutely amazing Fuji 23mm f1.4.

Yep - having felt and tried the 35/2.8, I get the feeling that there isn't even enough there to make me pay $800. Nobody would blink twice at an $800 35mm ZM lens, but that thing is totally manual. Sony needs to decide what the hell they're doing and start working with partners like Sigma to get lenses like the 35/1.4 adapted to FE mount. Also, drop the A-mount. Who buys a Sony SLR.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder if the IQ of the Canon 40/2.8 pancake on a 6D can match the Sony FE 35/2.8. Size wise they are about the same with the camera.

The site doesn't have the fuji 23/1.4 so I put the kit lens on the fuji. It's about the same size as the 23mm.

There is also the Canon 35mm/2.0 you can get for cheap.

They are all too big I am holding out for the X100FF BELIEVE!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

whatever7 posted:

I wonder if the IQ of the Canon 40/2.8 pancake on a 6D can match the Sony FE 35/2.8. Size wise they are about the same with the camera.

The site doesn't have the fuji 23/1.4 so I put the kit lens on the fuji. It's about the same size as the 23mm.

There is also the Canon 35mm/2.0 you can get for cheap.

They are all too big I am holding out for the X100FF BELIEVE!

Sony already released the RX1? It's as close to an x100FF you'll get sans optical viewfinder

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Theres always that X200 rumor. FF wont improve your already lovely photos

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wengy posted:

I'm seeing a decently priced used Olympus 75 f1.8 near me, should I go for it? I know it's supposed to be very good, but I'm not sure about the focal length - haven't ever owned such a long lens. Does anyone here have the 75? How often do you use it and for which purposes (except the obvious - portraits)?

Idk 75 seems a bit long for portraits, seeing it's 150mm equiv. The 45 is much more like a classic portrait lens with it's 90mm equivalence.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Idk 75 seems a bit long for portraits, seeing it's 150mm equiv. The 45 is much more like a classic portrait lens with it's 90mm equivalence.

Yeah, I passed on it eventually, the auction still went for like 860 Swiss Francs (which is only 200 less than I'd pay for a new one). I'm gonna use the 12-40 and the 45 some more before I invest that much cash :)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I sold my Pentax Pancake for a 35mm instead and I actually kind of regret it. Respect the pancake.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

Yeah, I passed on it eventually, the auction still went for like 860 Swiss Francs (which is only 200 less than I'd pay for a new one). I'm gonna use the 12-40 and the 45 some more before I invest that much cash :)

How are you liking that 12-40 so far?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

DJExile posted:

It's very sharp, built like a tank and has that cool MF-snap-focus-ring. The only zoom I've owned before was the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC for my old 7D - not a bad lens by all accounts, but the Oly basically makes it look like a piece of utter crap. The 12-40 is, however, on the larger side, and it's quite heavy. I've read reviews that stated that it could replace a couple of primes - technically speaking, i. e. purely in terms of IQ, this might be true. But I'd still really love a 12 mm f2 of a 17 mm f1.8. Can't beat that tiny form factor.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I am looking for a mirrorless system for a trip to India in February because I don't want to carry my DSLR. I would really like something with an EVF but they seem to be pretty rare in this class although I could probably get by without one. So far it's looking like the NEX6 is my best option but I am also intrigued by the EOS-M. Everyone was says it is poo poo due to very slow focus speed among other reasons but the new firmware is supposed to deal with that. The huge price drop is making it look pretty attractive. I can get the body, 18-55 lens, and 90 EX speedlight for less than $400 at Amazon. I can get the same kit with the 22mm f2 lens added for less than $500. But I guess price doesn't matter if the body is still poo poo after the firmware upgrade. The NEX 6 with 16-50 is priced at about $750.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

bung posted:

I am looking for a mirrorless system for a trip to India in February because I don't want to carry my DSLR. I would really like something with an EVF but they seem to be pretty rare in this class although I could probably get by without one. So far it's looking like the NEX6 is my best option but I am also intrigued by the EOS-M. Everyone was says it is poo poo due to very slow focus speed among other reasons but the new firmware is supposed to deal with that. The huge price drop is making it look pretty attractive. I can get the body, 18-55 lens, and 90 EX speedlight for less than $400 at Amazon. I can get the same kit with the 22mm f2 lens added for less than $500. But I guess price doesn't matter if the body is still poo poo after the firmware upgrade. The NEX 6 with 16-50 is priced at about $750.

I've got the Eos M (my first mirrorless) and I think it's pretty fun. Menus are easy to use although I'm occasionally frustrated- mainly when options I set seem to revert (e.g. I turn of the "touch screen to take pic" later on it's back on for some reason and I'm taking a photos inadvertently.) I'm happy with the IQ, and the 22/2 is a great little lens. Battery life seems crappy but maybe that's true of all mirrorless- also I'm spoiled by using a gripped DSLR that lasts forever between charges. I'm happy with it as a second camera, especially for the price it's at, but if I really wanted to "get into mirrorless" I'd definitely have gone with something else.

Also, if you think you want a flash, get something with a built-in flash. Do you really want to carry around an extra flash? Also, there's not much else in the way of native lenses for the Eos M, and the adaptors for EF->M are not super cheap.

Have you thought of a high-end compact like RX-100 or Canon G1X?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

bung posted:

The Fuji X-E1/X-E2 is amazing if you are looking for compact mirrorless with EVF. The image quality is outstanding, the standard primes are fast and sharp and by all accounts the kit zoom is phenomenal. I'm super stoked on my X-E1 + 35mm f1.4 combo.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

To whom it matters: the X-Pro 1 firmware update was delayed until Dec. 16.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

DJExile posted:

And here's a couple of samples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11236288@N04/sets/72157638424748874/

I included the garage door to showcase what DxO's prime noise reduction can do with ISO 3200 on M4/3rds.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Malcolm XML posted:

Sony already released the RX1? It's as close to an x100FF you'll get sans optical viewfinder

Fuji is rumored to release a fully weather proof FF X100 lookalike sometime next year. I would much rather have that than the RX1. :allears:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
You can't take photos with a rumor.
Also, I finally got my A7 yesterday. I like it a lot so far but the weather has been too bad for me to really shoot much with it. (It is more weather resistant than I am.) I've been testing it with an OM macro lens and I think it's going to be a lot of fun using old glass with this thing.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RustedChrome posted:

You can't take photos with a rumor.
Also, I finally got my A7 yesterday. I like it a lot so far but the weather has been too bad for me to really shoot much with it. (It is more weather resistant than I am.) I've been testing it with an OM macro lens and I think it's going to be a lot of fun using old glass with this thing.

How do you like A7's color palette compare to RX1's sensor?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

And here's a couple of samples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11236288@N04/sets/72157638424748874/

I included the garage door to showcase what DxO's prime noise reduction can do with ISO 3200 on M4/3rds.

Holy poo poo where are/were you because that's gorgeous

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo where are/were you because that's gorgeous

Thanks :) That's Mount Rigi in central Switzerland, which I visited last weekend. Good thing the E-M1 is freeze-proof :D

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

keyframe posted:

Fuji is rumored to release a fully weather proof FF X100 lookalike sometime next year. I would much rather have that than the RX1. :allears:

Seconding that. Although I'm really interested in waiting to see what happens with organic sensors.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Helicity posted:

Seconding that. Although I'm really interested in waiting to see what happens with organic sensors.

Apparently they're having horrendous problems with actually manufacturing them consistently, too many duds to be anywhere near able to create the volume necessary to mass produce. Could be a while before they figure it out, if they ever do, and who knows if the costs will make it a worthwhile endeavour anytime soon.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You guys. The Nikon 1 at last will have its day. http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/07/27/taking-the-nikon-1-to-dream-land-with-a-25-1-4-c-mount-29-lens/

red19fire
May 26, 2010

:stare: Habsburg Dogge :stare:

Also another lens reviewer that doesn't leave the house :thumbsup:

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I never see much discussion about the Canon Eos-M here. Is it a good gift-camera for someone who wants a step up from point and shoots to take photos of birds/small wildlife? Or is there some other mirrorless system that'd be more appropriate?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I never see much discussion about the Canon Eos-M here. Is it a good gift-camera for someone who wants a step up from point and shoots to take photos of birds/small wildlife? Or is there some other mirrorless system that'd be more appropriate?

Eos M would not be good at this. There aren't any long native lenses for it. I'd guess one of the Sonys or a Panasonics would be least inexpensive way to go. Probably a better idea would be one of the new superzoom bridge cameras like the Canon SX50 (Sony and Panasonic have some too). Probably the easiest for wildlife unless you're willing to go premium mirrorless or DSLR and plus a few hundred (at the minimum) for a lens.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I might go for premium mirrorless for this gift, what comes to mind? DSLR isn't much of an option since size/weight is an issue due to the giftee having arthritis/injury issues.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
EPL3 is $199 on newegg today with kit lens which is the cheapest I've seen it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe look at the Canon SL1- pretty small and several reasonable, image stabilized telephoto lens options (Canon 55-250 or Tamron 70-300VC).

The latest generation of bridge cameras are a step up from past models, and a lot of birders have gone over to them.

How much are you looking to spend?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Looking for Up to 900 total I guess. I grabbed an X100s for myself recently and I adore that. Wish the Xe-1 was cheaper enough I could just gift one of those with the 50mm-230mm fujinon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

The general view is that Canon have made a not-even-half-hearted attempt at developing a class-leading mirrorless system, so The Internet has responded by pretending it doesn't exist.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pablo Bluth posted:

The general view is that Canon have made a not-even-half-hearted attempt at developing a class-leading mirrorless system, so The Internet has responded by pretending it doesn't exist.

The Mirrorless Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pablo Bluth posted:

The sale of mirrorless systems (specially the Nikon1 and EOS M)are so bad in American both of them are basically delaying the announcement of new mirrorless bodies.

Canon was going to release a NEX-6/XE1 type body with the EVF but they are putting the whole EOS M program on hold and release a minor upgrade of the EOS M and call it "M2" in Japan.

I don't know what will it take for the 'Muricans starting buying mirorless to replace the low and mid range SLR. Maybe Americans will never switch to mirrorless. Maybe 3 years from now, the rest of the world have switched all the low/mid end interchangeable bodies to mirrorless and the US sales chart is still dominated by entry level DSLR and 18-55 kit lens like F150 pickup trucks.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 9, 2013