Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

FordPRefectLL posted:

How long have you been with Verizon?

4 or 5 years, since the original Droid.

I'm not expecting a t-mobile price match, I don't mind paying a premium for what is phenomenal service in Colorado, but losing the corporate discount makes it harder to justify.

Especially when I can't take phone subsidies anymore - $130 a month becomes $150 a month when you factor in a new phone at full price (broken out over 24 months).

I'm not going to jump ship over losing the discount, but between that, frustration with phone selection, and hearing from friends that t-mobile is pretty strong here, I have to at least reevaluate options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

stormrider posted:

4 or 5 years, since the original Droid.

I'm not expecting a t-mobile price match, I don't mind paying a premium for what is phenomenal service in Colorado, but losing the corporate discount makes it harder to justify.

Especially when I can't take phone subsidies anymore - $130 a month becomes $150 a month when you factor in a new phone at full price (broken out over 24 months).

I'm not going to jump ship over losing the discount, but between that, frustration with phone selection, and hearing from friends that t-mobile is pretty strong here, I have to at least reevaluate options.

Reapply for your discount?
Or were you on one you shouldn't of had to begin with?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Duckman2008 posted:

Have you followed Verizon policies at all for the last 5+ years? The only carrier they sometimes match is AT&T because the rates are close. Verizon isn't dropping to T-Mobile pricing anytime soon, and they have been adding enough customers that they have no incentive too.

It was said once on this page, but you pay for the network basically.

Edit:noticed you said can, so I may have misread what you said. Either way, point is Verizon will be more expensive than T-Mobile, and which one you get depends on stuff like local coverage, etc.

Yeah I've been with Verizon for about eight years now. I'm aware of their higher pricing and was just commenting about the legality of pricing rather than the custom of pricing.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful

EbolaIvory posted:

Reapply for your discount?
Or were you on one you shouldn't of had to begin with?

No, it was a legit discount, but I changed jobs this spring.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
On another note, I just saw the Maxx has dropped to $499 off contract. Is that valid in-store too? And do you pay sales tax on devices purchased in stores?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

stormrider posted:

On another note, I just saw the Maxx has dropped to $499 off contract. Is that valid in-store too? And do you pay sales tax on devices purchased in stores?

Yes and yes.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is Verizon expensive? Hell yes! However, as a counterpoint:

A. The coverage is outstanding - I don't think I've ever been in a dead zone (except for some industrial buildings with multiple sub-basements, but that doesn't count)
B. The support is very good - I've had to call once and awhile, and somehow I've always been able to get someone who speaks english very well, is polite, and willing to help get things done (the opposite end of the benchmark is AT&T, I've had a few good experiences, but they've also been marred by bad ones and crappy equipment)

I've always been willing to spend a little more money for a good quality product if possible. Sort of like buying a socket wrench from Harbor Freight versus a Craftsman wrench from Sears.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The 800 number people are pretty good. Helpful and getting poo poo right on the first attempt is a pretty good combination. Fixing screwups in-store people make without a complaint, also nice. Arguably this is the minimum we should all expect from a CS phone line, but when so many companies fail at it miserably I want to give credit where it's due.

Retail stores are terrible, though.

also, I got a laugh out of my new phone activation instructions:

1) power off old phone, activation will not work with the old phone on
2) from any phone other than your new phone, call this number...

I see a problem :v:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Psion posted:

I see a problem :v:

Because those are the only two phones in existence? I did it just fine two days ago from a landline.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

big mean giraffe posted:

Because those are the only two phones in existence? I did it just fine two days ago from a landline.

If I didn't live with people I wouldn't have a second phone. With unlimited voice there is no reason for a lot of people to gave a landline and if I have to drive to a friends to use the phone I might as well goto retail.

Live chat 24/7 would fix this. But alas.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Psion posted:

The 800 number people are pretty good. Helpful and getting poo poo right on the first attempt is a pretty good combination. Fixing screwups in-store people make without a complaint, also nice. Arguably this is the minimum we should all expect from a CS phone line, but when so many companies fail at it miserably I want to give credit where it's due.

Retail stores are terrible, though.

I trust phone people to be better, on average, than store people most of the time. Being able to pull and review any call a customer complains about is pretty much the ultimate QA tool. Bad reps get weeded out faster, and mediocre ones are improved more easily. The only leg up a store has is the ability to browse, that's it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

pfff who has those anymore? What is this, 1996? Let me get my 56k modem! :v:

That's exactly what I'm doing, but the idea of "to activate your new phone, you must use a different phone" is just bad process. I am sure it makes a lot of sense on the backend. It's a dismally stupid customer-facing decision, however. It's also somewhat humorous, the real reason I posted it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Three-Phase posted:

Is Verizon expensive? Hell yes! However, as a counterpoint:
Yeah, I had this conversation with a friend who's on AT&T earlier and my own issues with tiered data aside I told him that I've been far more satisfied as a customer paying more for the tiered data with Verizon thank paying less for unlimited data with Sprint.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

EbolaIvory posted:

Soooo mad they waited to release that. Its so pretty. Oh well, I'm happy with my black one (God damnit I wanted white too).

I called to get the white one on monday, but they ran out of stock.

Tuesday, when the stock had miraculously refreshed and they were not-suspiciously $149.99. I called to ask for a price match on the same deal and the gentleman told me his supervisor would call me later that day or early today to get me a price match on the phone. No call.

I start a support chat and explain the issue. The agent takes me through the whole ordering process until the final confirmation click before telling me that she can't actually offer me the deal. Well, thanks for wasting my time. I ask to be put in the queue for her supervisor, and she puts me in the queue for another agent of lesser or equal authority who can only give me the general customer service phone number.

Call again, ask for a supervisor and one is not available so I explain the issue to the agent who is very much a "No problem, let's get this taken care of for you!" type. She transfers me to another agent to do the price match who tells me that he doesn't have the authority to do it and has to get his supervisor, for whom I wait on hold for thirty minutes and am then hung up on.

Boy, do I sure feel like a valued customer of ten years.

EDIT:

hoobajoo posted:

Did you really think any agent, of any company, would give you a 100% discount that's not currently offered? I mean, it sucks no rep just nutted up and told you there's no way it's going to happen, but seriously.

I didn't know, so I asked. I thought the worst that could happen was "no."

As it turns out, there's worse. If the answer is no, then put on your apologetic tone and tell me no. If the answer is yes, put me in contact with the person who can get this done. Don't jerk me around saying yes we'll get this taken care of and then not taking care of anything.

Alastor_the_Stylish fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 5, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I called to get the white one on monday, but they ran out of stock.

Tuesday, when the stock had miraculously refreshed and they were not-suspiciously $149.99. I called to ask for a price match on the same deal and the gentleman told me his supervisor would call me later that day or early today to get me a price match on the phone. No call.

I start a support chat and explain the issue. The agent takes me through the whole ordering process until the final confirmation click before telling me that she can't actually offer me the deal. Well, thanks for wasting my time. I ask to be put in the queue for her supervisor, and she puts me in the queue for another agent of lesser or equal authority who can only give me the general customer service phone number.

Call again, ask for a supervisor and one is not available so I explain the issue to the agent who is very much a "No problem, let's get this taken care of for you!" type. She transfers me to another agent to do the price match who tells me that he doesn't have the authority to do it and has to get his supervisor, for whom I wait on hold for thirty minutes and am then hung up on.

Boy, do I sure feel like a valued customer of ten years.

Did you really think any agent, of any company, would give you a 100% discount that's not currently offered? I mean, it sucks no rep just nutted up and told you there's no way it's going to happen, but seriously.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

hoobajoo posted:

They launched a new color of a device for a sale, and didnt have stock is what it sounds like. Then like magic they have stock the next day. So yeah, Id expect verizon being customer service people to help me out on it. Hell they have given me upgrades and bill credits for all kinds of poo poo, why not knock 100 bucks off the phone? Or offer a couple 50$ bill credits? They make a killing on me service wise they might as well keep me happy.

Sounds like he got the run around. Eventually he'll get someone that will help.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

They launched a new color of a device for a sale, and didnt have stock is what it sounds like. Then like magic they have stock the next day. So yeah, Id expect verizon being customer service people to help me out on it. Hell they have given me upgrades and bill credits for all kinds of poo poo, why not knock 100 bucks off the phone? Or offer a couple 50$ bill credits? They make a killing on me service wise they might as well keep me happy.

Sounds like he got the run around. Eventually he'll get someone that will help.

Do you feel a rep should risk their job for you to get a deal you misses out on? Because that's what you're asking. In no other industry would it even cross your mind to ask for free product just because they ran out of stock on the busiest shopping days of the year. Do you honestly feel that entitled?

LG launched the device, LG decided on the sale, and it would not surprise me if LG only approved x number of phones for the promo. It's not anything magical, just a limited deal. That's really nothing unusual.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

hoobajoo posted:

Do you feel a rep should risk their job for you to get a deal you misses out on? Because that's what you're asking. In no other industry would it even cross your mind to ask for free product just because they ran out of stock on the busiest shopping days of the year. Do you honestly feel that entitled?

LG launched the device, LG decided on the sale, and it would not surprise me if LG only approved x number of phones for the promo. It's not anything magical, just a limited deal. That's really nothing unusual.

Nope, But I expect the resolution departments to deal with it. I "worked in the industry" a long time. And getting things done for good customers isnt hard. More so customers with years of tenure. No "REP" needs to approve it, But actually getting someone who CAN handle it involved isnt hard. Passing the buck to people who cant do poo poo isnt right and I've had that happen a few times recently with verizon and cox over the phone lately. Its insane to think it takes getting the run around.

Entitled? Yeah maybe a little. Then again I've had a verizon line since verizon became a wireless company and if I'm unhappy I feel I should be made happy. Then again, I remember when the company did that for people without worrying about bottom lines and poo poo. Bottom line, Customers SHOULD be treated better. Should he get the same deal every time? No, The account should get noted it was done and why.

I think in all the years we've had big red, We've had a grand total of 1 price match and 2 or 3 upgrades pushed early. Bunches of bill credits for misc poo poo but thats a whole different ball game, Kids using phones signing up for stupid 9.99 a month nonsense and what not, Credit block purchases, fixed etc.

Working for corp wireless made me a bit jaded but good long standing customers, I stuck my neck out for and had no problem getting things pushed around. Why? They would come back and tell friends and grow biz for me and the company. Its the right thing to do for everyone. Then again I dont expect most call center jocks to even understand that in the slightest. If most of them worked face to face with customers for a while they wouldnt pass the buck so quickly on people who arnt being assholes. :)

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 5, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

If you think there was ever a time when any company did not worry about their bottom line, this is clearly not a problem I can throw logic and reason at.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

hoobajoo posted:

If you think there was ever a time when any company did not worry about their bottom line, this is clearly not a problem I can throw logic and reason at.

They shouldnt ignore it. But fact is they care about the instant boost instead of the long term. I've told more people about verizons great coverage etc and how well they treat people and what not, than anybody I ever told other carriers I worked for. Hell I never let go of my Verizon line when working with the competition. Fact is they have the best network out there, at least where I use it and travel to. Thats long term gain correct? Because they kept me happy I continue to do so, And they see sales because of it.

I'm not saying they should bend over and give everyone anything but an exception here and there isnt the end of the world and if you think a rep is "risking his job" to keep a customer happy, you have lovely management and you need to start emailing higher up the chain and get it fixed. Even the worst jobs with third party companies, I had SOMEONE up the chain that wanted long term growth who understood. Not once was my job at risk for calling our VPGM (At corp companies) to get an exception for a good customer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

They shouldnt ignore it. But fact is they care about the instant boost instead of the long term. I've told more people about verizons great coverage etc and how well they treat people and what not, than anybody I ever told other carriers I worked for. Hell I never let go of my Verizon line when working with the competition. Fact is they have the best network out there, at least where I use it and travel to. Thats long term gain correct? Because they kept me happy I continue to do so, And they see sales because of it.

I'm not saying they should bend over and give everyone anything but an exception here and there isnt the end of the world and if you think a rep is "risking his job" to keep a customer happy, you have lovely management and you need to start emailing higher up the chain and get it fixed. Even the worst jobs with third party companies, I had SOMEONE up the chain that wanted long term growth who understood. Not once was my job at risk for calling our VPGM (At corp companies) to get an exception for a good customer.

I should update you on wireless, man are they cutting back on what they will do for current customers. Exception for a good customer, calling the Vice President? Not anymore my friend.

I can't stress enough that the perception that wireless cell phones are saturated, and that carriers lose a customer for every one they gain, seems to have completely taken hold at these companies. There are still deals on upgrades and all that from time to time, but exceptions and extras for current customers is pretty much out the window. And if Verizon is even close to ATT (I'm willing to bet they are), then it'll be similar with them too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

I should update you on wireless, man are they cutting back on what they will do for current customers. Exception for a good customer, calling the Vice President? Not anymore my friend.

I can't stress enough that the perception that wireless cell phones are saturated, and that carriers lose a customer for every one they gain, seems to have completely taken hold at these companies. There are still deals on upgrades and all that from time to time, but exceptions and extras for current customers is pretty much out the window. And if Verizon is even close to ATT (I'm willing to bet they are), then it'll be similar with them too.

Which is funny because upgrade customers bring so much new business its not even funny. When will they learn?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Which is funny because upgrade customers bring so much new business its not even funny. When will they learn?

Basic to smart, they do. 3G to 4G is also probably a bump up. But just a 4G to 4G upgrade is a sunk cost that they eat to stay competitive; they will never see that money again. It's why Edge exists, to reduce the huge lost cost of upgrades.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I stopped by a VZW store yesterday and played with the Moto X and the Maxx for a while and decided to jump on the Maxx at $499. The Moto X is a drat nice device, especially with the coupon from Monday pricing it at $400, but given my chief complaint with my S3 is battery life, I think the $100 difference for the Maxx is justified. And I really like the soft-touch feel of the Maxx.

I don't think I can go another week with my S3, and the Maxx seems like it will hold value enough that even if I jump ship in a few months when my contract is up I'll be able to offload it for a reasonable amount.

Weirdness with the store reps though, the one I was talking to asked if I wouldn't mind ordering it online instead, and said they get yelled at for selling off-contract devices. So then I got online last night and discovered that I was going to pay sales tax even if I order it online. So going to a different store today and just buying it there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, AT&T just announced today that they will start discounting service $15 /month if you are off contract. It will be interesting to see if Verizon has a reaction to this.

The carriers are always quick to copy each other when it means screwing the customer, let's see if the same thing holds true for ACTUAL competition.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

hoobajoo posted:

Basic to smart, they do. 3G to 4G is also probably a bump up. But just a 4G to 4G upgrade is a sunk cost that they eat to stay competitive; they will never see that money again. It's why Edge exists, to reduce the huge lost cost of upgrades.

ummm, Edge exists to pad their profit margins, because it doesn't pencil out for anyone but a tiny subset of users. c'mon now. Verizon's financials have been blockbuster the last couple years, this isn't them "eating" a dime. The average 24 month contract is over $2000 to the end user before taxes and fees - they're seeing that subsidy cost back well before the end of it (or with an ETF, even sooner) ... that's how subsidies work.

It's not like they pay the MSRP of $800 per phone. Implying they do makes it look awesome but I'm almost certain it's more like they pay $300, I pay $300, they imply without saying so that they paid $500, then they charge me $80 a month. I get good service and the phone I want, they make double-digit growth numbers in their Q3 financials. Everyone wins, arguably.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 5, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

It will be interesting to see if Verizon has a reaction to this.

Wow that would be pretty awesome, except I just got a MAXX on contract a week ago. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

big mean giraffe posted:

Wow that would be pretty awesome, except I just got a MAXX on contract a week ago. :v:

Here's the full skinny.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/12/att-gives-15-per-month-discounts-to-off-contract-customers/

AT&T is destroying Verizon in price now.

A new subscriber with 2gb of data on Verizon is going to be paying $100 /month. 2gb with AT&T subsudized is $95 /month, but it drops to only $80 if you bring your own phone.

6gb of data with BYOD is only $105 on AT&T, just $5 more than 2gb on Verizon.

With things like the Moto G available now (not to mention the Nexus devices), AT&T looks very attractive if I ever get the rug pulled out from under me.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I did have one other question (thanks for the earlier info, you guys have been helpful!): how much extra does it cost if I want to have an iPhone 5S on Verizon act as a hotspot or tether my device to it? I think it's an extra $20 a month.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

I did have one other question (thanks for the earlier info, you guys have been helpful!): how much extra does it cost if I want to have an iPhone 5S on Verizon act as a hotspot or tether my device to it? I think it's an extra $20 a month.

On Share Everything it's free, you just are still limited to whatever your data plan is. Otherwise it's $20/mo+ and has it's own separate data limit, iirc.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Oh happy day. Verizon has finally updated the android version on my phone (Droid DNA) from 4.1.1.

I wonder which version it will be? Will it be 4.3.x, since Verizon is approving it for the One currently? Nope. They had to push the update schedule ahead by a week or two and instead go for the 10 month old 4.2.2.

Oh well, I like the new chime when it "connects" to my wireless charger, and I've heard that Sense 5 is a huge upgrade over 4+, so I'm happy for the update even if it wasn't the one I would have preferred.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Kytrarewn posted:

Oh happy day. Verizon has finally updated the android version on my phone (Droid DNA) from 4.1.1.

I wonder which version it will be? Will it be 4.3.x, since Verizon is approving it for the One currently? Nope. They had to push the update schedule ahead by a week or two and instead go for the 10 month old 4.2.2.

Oh well, I like the new chime when it "connects" to my wireless charger, and I've heard that Sense 5 is a huge upgrade over 4+, so I'm happy for the update even if it wasn't the one I would have preferred.

Honestly the difference between 4.2.2 and 4.3.1 are so minute that you either have to be a developer to know the difference or be one of the 1% of users who actually care about the ability to switch between users on an Android device. When I loaded CM10.2 my reaction was quite literally "downloading the rom and pushing a button to reboot & update really wasn't worth the effort."

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did have one other question - I recently changed my prepaid iPad 2 from 2GB to 1GB a month. Check this out:

Does it not start drawing data from my 1GB plan, even though the date for the 2GB plan has expired? I just downloaded a 50MB app update over Cellular, it didn't budge either of the data counters to my surprise.

EDIT: I reset my iPad (powered off and powered back on) and now it just shows the 1GB plan. Which is correct, still 0MB usage though. :tinfoil:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 8, 2013

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Check at VZW.com, that's the real authority, since they make the bills. If I had to guess, you probably were on WiFi and didn't realize it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

hoobajoo posted:

Check at VZW.com, that's the real authority, since they make the bills. If I had to guess, you probably were on WiFi and didn't realize it.

That won't work for prepaid.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

That won't work for prepaid.

Oh, sorry, didn't see that. How do you normally check your data with verizon? I don't know much about the prepaid side.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

hoobajoo posted:

Oh, sorry, didn't see that. How do you normally check your data with verizon? I don't know much about the prepaid side.

The MYVerizon App?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

hoobajoo posted:

It's still screwed up. The old plan did go away like it should, but there is still a problem. The data use counter number only changes if you power-cycle the iPad or if you turn the cellular off and back on. It's really strange. (Not on IOS 7.)

I called Verizon this afternoon and they put in a ticket to check it out. It's not like a "my cellular/account is broken", but it did that [the counting issues] and it also locked me out for no reason today (entered my email and password, said it was wrong, tried again and it said I had tried five times (I hadn't) and it was locked out) and I had to get the account reset, and that sucked. Been on the phone with Verizon three times and it seems like the people doing the data support aren't all that great. (Still beats the hell out of AT&T tier-1 support.)

There apparently is no Tier-2 for data plans people can talk to at Verizon. I've never had this sort of screwy issues with my prepaid Verizon iPad until recently. The way it's acting now is not a huge problem and there is a work-around, but it really bugs me when something doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I'll wait and see how this pans out, but it gives me significant pause as far as my plans to upgrade my Verizon phone to an iOS smartphone in the near future go.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 9, 2013

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Where did the single nationwide plans go? I ported a line off a 2-line family plan and the remaining line renewed as a Nationwide Family SharePlan with only one line. Am I stuck with this if I don't want to give up unlimited data? When I try to change the plan online it only gives me other family shareplan options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Naffer posted:

Where did the single nationwide plans go? I ported a line off a 2-line family plan and the remaining line renewed as a Nationwide Family SharePlan with only one line. Am I stuck with this if I don't want to give up unlimited data? When I try to change the plan online it only gives me other family shareplan options.

There are individual plans, but only for basic phones or 65+. Both involve tiered data.

• Locked thread