Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Annie is upset because the pizza place was closed and now she can't chow down on a big pizza and go "whoo! yes!" about the pizza :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Annie is angry because that scrub Ysengrin has some RL things tonight and he can't raid, so she has to get a PUG tank.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Goonnerkrigg Court Thread.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Annie is upset because she was supposed to be doing a thing with Kat, only she can't because:
Kat's very busy with Paz.
Kat's torched her workshop and Paz is there, suggesting that
Kat's already done the thing and half-assed it, with Paz.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Annie is upset because the pizza place was closed and now she can't chow down on a big pizza and go "whoo! yes!" about the pizza :(

Now I want pizza :(

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She just really, really wanted to be there for that artificial muscle test! Kat said they'd wait for her.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
She's being a diva because she realized when she say Kat and Paz making out that she wouldn't be the star of this chapter

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

maswastaken posted:

Annie is upset because she was supposed to be doing a thing with Kat, only she can't because:

Annie's plan to kill Kat with a sabotaged experiment has failed and she can't think of another murder idea so she is sad. :(

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Seeing Kat and Paz like that gave Annie diabetes.

Other possibilities:
-She's mad that they don't need her to torch things, that's her forte dammit!
-She left a nice sweater in there and now it's surely ruined.
-She wanted to eat that chicken wing!
-She got pizza with Smit-face and Parley, passed out from eating so much delicious pizza, and they teleported her to a seemingly random spot in the Court for a laugh.

Also what is that symbol thing on the door? And is that a note by the handle, or just a "DO NOT ENTER: This means you Annie" kinda thing?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

More proof that Annie doesn't like boys.
No! Don't channel the power of Tumblr! You don't know what you will unleash! :supaburn:

On the other hand, :smith:face Annie. She was probably just very tired on her way to go to the tree and nap. So she decided to just nap here instead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Brightman posted:

Also what is that symbol thing on the door?

It's probably some kind of magical rune to help seal off the room. Remember that room's for quarantining stuff from the Forest.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Looks like a sun shining down on the earth. Maybe it's to warn that the room has some artificial solar lighting?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

It's almost like he was being intentionally obtuse. The worst kind of obtuse.

No offense meant but it's easy to turn into a crazy person like I did when you misinterpret things posted by people who you've had previous misinterpretations with in the past. My apologies.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Looks like a sun shining down on the earth. Maybe it's to warn that the room has some artificial solar lighting?

Yeah, probably just the generic court symbol for 'this is a habitat'. It's visible in the chapter when they go there originally, as well. First two panels here. Also that note on the door was there previously, as you can see on the next page. Tom is a real stickler for details.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

maswastaken posted:

Actually, that could be a pretty good point to make.

Kat invited Paz and Annie to come see a sciency test. Paz arrives first and Kat gets all romantic so she pushes it forward.

Annie arrives to find the lab a mess and them kissing, so she gets both the 'oh no she has someone more important to me' drama as well as the 'she didn't even wait for me, even though she invited me :(' bit.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

maswastaken posted:

I honestly like this theory.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Being at the habitat, my best guess is that Annie is going through some doubts because Kat hadn't confided in her about Paz. The last time they were here, she opened up about her parents. So why didn't Kat say anything about her and Paz? Did something change? Is it Annie's fault? Y'know, ignoring all the stuff Rey just went over.

Ah screw it Pizza Time #1 theory

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think yall are being way too optimistic about this being resolved like a simple misunderstanding. The fact that this has taken so many pages and the tone is far more grave than the last divide between Annie and Kat is a pretty good indicator that this is going to be one of those things that alienates the two from each other. It'll be stupid and teenage logic as all heck, but signs are pointing that this is going to be a pretty big negative on the friendship.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A divide between them might be healthy, in the long run. Annie is rather socially isolated. Taking away her lifeline even temporarily will force her to either evolve or die, socially speaking.

Edit: I'm reminded of this page in particular.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2013

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
That and a ton of the story and art so far has associated Annie with the forest and Kat with the Court in ways that make it seem pretty likely that their relationship is going to be instrumental in resolving the forest/Court conflict. Which isn't gonna have much narrative heft if they're bffs the whole way through.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Considering what immediately followed it eventually led to the current situation, this moment might have been the calm before the storm for their friendship.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Lurdiak posted:

Considering what immediately followed it eventually led to the current situation, this moment might have been the calm before the storm for their friendship.

Yeah, that "no matter how much stuff changes" seems pretty foreshadowy in retrospect.

Personally, I'm hoping against hope that the imagery in the treatises continues to be a good indicator of what's going on in the story. The treatise with the biggest physical separation between Annie and Kat, the fourth one, came right before their biggest relationship issues to date in From the Forest She Came. The latest treatise has them much closer than that, and even showing affection for one another, which indicates to me that there's not a big split in order.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself as I hope they can patch things up. :ohdear:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brightman posted:

-She's mad that they don't need her to torch things, that's her forte dammit!
This is clearly it. She's assuming Paz is also a fire elemental and now she's not special anymore. Wouldn't you be bummed?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If I learned anything from Harry Potter it's that British children in strange boarding schools can have their friendships utterly torn to pieces over minor things.

But eventually they'll make up.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Brightman posted:

they teleported her to a seemingly random spot in the Court for a laugh

Parley is the worst person to party with on Earth. Some people draw dicks on your face when you pass out, Parley teleports you to the middle of God-Knows-Where.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
It would actually be interesting if Annie had a problem with her friend's preferences without being that character that became the mouthpiece of a homophobe author (which Tom isn't).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Annie's problem is homophobia of some stripe, then we're going to see how many people really trust Tom. It would be very bold to put such an opinion in the mind of the main character mere pages after having another one denounce it so sympathetically, and while I don't think Gunnerkrigg Court would be the right story for that to happen in, I'd be very interested to see it attempted by someone who could pull it off.

I'd need a bunker first, though.

motbob
Feb 19, 2009
Kat and Annie have been each other's best friends for two years. Since they met each other, neither of them has had a relationship with another person that's come close to the one they've had with each other (unless you count Reynardine). Annie saw proof that that's no longer the case. A sense of loss is a natural reaction for Annie here, even if it is not a rational one. Is Kat even her best friend anymore?

Here's what I think: there won't be katXannie, there won't be lasting negative feelings between Kat and Annie stemming from this episode. Annie's gonna be bummed out, but she'll quickly get over it. I'm looking forward to seeing her make new friends in the court to fill part of the space where Kat was.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?
Can someone explain the pizza thing to me? I've seen it mentioned more than a few times in this thread, but I've no idea where it actually came from. While it's fun to imagine Annie as a pizza-junky, it's also pretty confusing. :confused:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bot 02 posted:

Can someone explain the pizza thing to me? I've seen it mentioned more than a few times in this thread, but I've no idea where it actually came from. While it's fun to imagine Annie as a pizza-junky, it's also pretty confusing. :confused:

It started with the joke that when Annie was missing, she was organising a pizza party for Kat and Paz.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Bot 02 posted:

I think it's just been me saying it (multiple times) as an irreverent contribution to plot speculation. My b :shobon:

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

No no, I think it's a good theory. Explains why she came back to the court from the forest after the summer, at least.

No pizza in the forest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bot 02 posted:

No no, I think it's a good theory. Explains why she came back to the court from the forest after the summer, at least.

No pizza in the forest.
Yes there is; Ysengrin is a master chef. Why do you think she keeps giving him all those second chances? It's for the pizza.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Giant Ethicist posted:

The latest treatise has them much closer than that, and even showing affection for one another, which indicates to me that there's not a big split in order.

I never noticed it before you linked the page again, but the heart that's X'd out looks more like two hearts that are twined together, which might indicate that Kat's affection ends up being split between two different people?

No idea on it really, though. I just like analyzing the big "teaser" pictures and seeing how they wind up relating to the story.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The treatise pictures are supposed to pertain to things that came before them, not really to be a hint at things coming afterwards. But speculation based on them is still fun.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If Annie is forced to make more friends because of this situation, we could end up with another core cast member. Maybe she'll start hanging out with Jack!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Red Bones posted:

If Annie is forced to make more friends because of this situation, we could end up with another core cast member. Maybe she'll start hanging out with Jack!

No way, he's the least interesting male since Chiba Mamoru.

(I know that joke is overplayed, but I love how the rest of the craziness of that rant overshadows the fact that he just dropped this random anime name as though we're all supposed to understand that reference.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Red Bones posted:

I think you mean

Jack v:confused:v

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So glad I know where that joke comes from. (also, well done)

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Annie x Mort OTP

Seriously though, every live boy in the cast is paired off with someone / in love with magic, unattainable people right now. All the girls are spoken for, too, if I'm remembering right. I wouldn't be surprised if Annie is a bit bummed about feeling left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Fecha posted:

Annie x Mort OTP

Seriously though, every live boy in the cast is paired off with someone / in love with magic, unattainable people right now. All the girls are spoken for, too, if I'm remembering right. I wouldn't be surprised if Annie is a bit bummed about feeling left behind.

Hey now, there's still, uh... The headmaster? :v: