Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to cut the meat off the shoulder bone for the stew
Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I feel like there is an obvious solution that I'm missing but how do you get the sesame seeds to stick to the top of a bun? I just hit the dough with egg wash before adding the seeds and while it looks line as soon as you try to pick one up the seeds scatter everywhere.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Does anybody have a few good recipes for a variety of gallantine stuffing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Now that its defrosted and I've had a better look at it I'm not going to. I'm just going to cut it through the ribs instead and keep everything for the stew

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I have a pound of ground lamb, onions, carrots, celery, tomato sauce, sweet potatoes, chickpeas and stock.

I was thinking I'd make a mirepoix, then fry up the lamb and add some tomato sauce and thyme(other spices?) and then add cubed sweet potatoes, chickpeas and stock and have some sort of stew.

I dunno about tomato mixed with sweet potato though. Anyone have any other ideas I could do with these ingredients and spices?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ashgromnies posted:

I dunno about tomato mixed with sweet potato though. Anyone have any other ideas I could do with these ingredients and spices?

Sweet potatoes are delicious in Midwest style chili or curries that have tomato sauce.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any good food/cooking blogs that update often enough? I used to like following The Kitchn, but whenever a holiday comes around it gets twee as gently caress, and I'm sick of it. Besides, my mom still doesn't like me making food on holidays so I normally don't cook for more than just me an my boyfriend so things like "how to make thanksgiving enjoyable for 20 people where there's a spread of vegan, vegetarian, paleo and picky people!!!!" are not interesting to me.

I just kind of want blogs that talk about interesting or different things, not really needing any sort of cohesive theme. Something in the same tone as Budget Bytes, just with other/no theme.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any good food/cooking blogs that update often enough? I used to like following The Kitchn, but whenever a holiday comes around it gets twee as gently caress, and I'm sick of it. Besides, my mom still doesn't like me making food on holidays so I normally don't cook for more than just me an my boyfriend so things like "how to make thanksgiving enjoyable for 20 people where there's a spread of vegan, vegetarian, paleo and picky people!!!!" are not interesting to me.

I just kind of want blogs that talk about interesting or different things, not really needing any sort of cohesive theme. Something in the same tone as Budget Bytes, just with other/no theme.
I very much like smitten kitchen. 101 Cookbooks is also pretty good. And you can't go wrong with Simply Recipes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jyrraeth posted:

Smitten Kitchen is absolutely my favorite cooking blog. Consistently good content, and a huge backlog of searchable recipes. They are a bit twee, but that's just part of cooking blogs.

Otherwise I also follow Food Wishes, Chow, a few on The Fresh Loaf, and Serious Eats.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
We have a ton of cans of tomato paste in the back of the pantry and I'd like to use them. Can I make anything with them and chicken breasts (that can be made in bulk and reheated)?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hate that the standard cooking blog style that everyone follows for whatever reason requires me to scroll down 10+ pages of bullshit no one cares about to get to a recipe.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I very much like smitten kitchen. 101 Cookbooks is also pretty good. And you can't go wrong with Simply Recipes.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Smitten Kitchen is absolutely my favorite cooking blog. Consistently good content, and a huge backlog of searchable recipes. They are a bit twee, but that's just part of cooking blogs.

Otherwise I also follow Food Wishes, Chow, a few on The Fresh Loaf, and Serious Eats.

Thanks, I forgot about Smitten Kitchen.

Its pretty hard to find a food blog that isn't a bit twee, that I can handle. Some of my friends are really into the "THIS IS HOW YOU loving MAKE A MICROWAVE COOKIE" type things which is... worse.

Grand Fromage posted:

I hate that the standard cooking blog style that everyone follows for whatever reason requires me to scroll down 10+ pages of bullshit no one cares about to get to a recipe.

If I really want a recipe I usually crtl+f and search like "Tsp" or something. Doesn't make it less frustrating, though. Some people attempt to make it seem like their lives are just as important as the recipe to the people that follow the blog. Ughn.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

I like Food52. They update almost as often as The Kitchn but are less twee. :)

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I used to follow Closet Cooking (TON of recipes), and I recently found Just One Cookbook (Japanese cooking) - both have nice no-fuss recipes that are not too hard to follow.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's not a blog exactly, but Tastespotting can be really nice at times for inspiration.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've used this recipe a couple times to make beer ice cream: http://billybrew.com/beer-ice-cream

The main problem I'm running into is that the intense beer flavour that I love is derived from a very high ABV beer (think 15%) which works great...until the high ABV makes the freezing point of the ice cream drop to the point where it melts practically as soon as I drop it in the bowl. Is there a way I can stabilize the ice cream without getting rid of the intense, wonderful flavour?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

I'd probably brown that and then braise it in a foil package. Leave the fat if you're slow cooking. That hair is not coming out by just rinsing it. Do you have a small torch? I'm serious; just singe it right off.
Otherwise you have to just pluck it out.

Ended up braising in a dark lager with potatoes, celery, garlic, onions, and minced anchovies. I think I slightly overcooked it but it came out amazing. I've only had deer jerky before but this meat has the texture of beef but a rich iron-ey flavor like an organ. The same guy left a raccoon a week earlier and that tasted straight up like a greasy turkey leg.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

crazyfish posted:

I've used this recipe a couple times to make beer ice cream: http://billybrew.com/beer-ice-cream

The main problem I'm running into is that the intense beer flavour that I love is derived from a very high ABV beer (think 15%) which works great...until the high ABV makes the freezing point of the ice cream drop to the point where it melts practically as soon as I drop it in the bowl. Is there a way I can stabilize the ice cream without getting rid of the intense, wonderful flavour?

I've never made beer ice cream before but could you cook down the beer first to reduce the alcohol content?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The thing is that cooking might dramatically alter the taste of the beer. An alternative could be freeze distillation. When you discard the still liquid high alcohol fraction, you'll surely lose some parts of the aromatics. But at least the frozen watery part won't be altered by heat.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The thing is that cooking might dramatically alter the taste of the beer. An alternative could be freeze distillation. When you discard the still liquid high alcohol fraction, you'll surely lose some parts of the aromatics. But at least the frozen watery part won't be altered by heat.

Freeze distillation is the opposite of what he wants to do- it would keep the alcohol and beer flavor in the liquid, and the ice would be just h2o. Cooking the beer down a bit would work fine, just keep it at a gentle simmer until it doesn't smell too boozy. I've made whiskey ice cream this way (though I also set it on fire because, well, fire!) and it held up well.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh, I see. Sorry.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Smitten Kitchen isn't overly twee, and always has great recipes. Love that site

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Smitten Kitchen isn't overly twee, and always has great recipes. Love that site

the gently caress is 'twee'?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bob Morales posted:

From the OED:

quote:

twee, a. (and n.3) colloq.

(twiː)

[f. tweet, an infantile pronunciation of sweet.]

1.1 Originally: ‘sweet’, dainty, chic. Now only in depreciatory use: affectedly dainty or quaint; over-nice, over-refined, precious, mawkish.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Bob Morales posted:

I never heard of the word before today either!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Now I want to start calling things mawkish. What an odd word.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
So I'm reheating some leftover pizza tonight and I want to have fried egg on it to spruce it up a bit. What's my best bet to get the egg to set into the pizza some without burning the pizza by reheating it too long? Should I just fry the egg separately and add it after?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bob Morales posted:

For a real life example, see Zooey Deschanel. There's a thread about it in NMD, I believe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bob Morales posted:

It's like you've never listened to Belle & Sebastian or the Apples in Stereo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Slifter posted:

I feel like there is an obvious solution that I'm missing but how do you get the sesame seeds to stick to the top of a bun? I just hit the dough with egg wash before adding the seeds and while it looks line as soon as you try to pick one up the seeds scatter everywhere.

Personally I'd stick with egg wash, but instead of sprinkling the seeds on top, I'd gently press the bun into a bowl of seeds.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Now I want to start calling things mawkish. What an odd word.
I love mawkish as a word. It's the kind of word Mr. Burns would use if he ever though something would be that sweet.

Tannin posted:

So I'm reheating some leftover pizza tonight and I want to have fried egg on it to spruce it up a bit. What's my best bet to get the egg to set into the pizza some without burning the pizza by reheating it too long? Should I just fry the egg separately and add it after?

I imagine you're looking to re-heat the pizza in the oven and have a soft cooked egg on top of that, right? It would be infinitely simpler to fry the egg first and then just put it on top of the reheated pizza. I suppose you could partially fry the egg until it just barely set, then get it onto the pizza and let it finish setting to desired doneness in the oven. That seems like a lot of guess work and trial and error for me though.

What kind of pizza, out of curiosity? I could maybe see a nice runny yolk over a good fresh margarita pizza. drat, now I want a runny fried egg.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Finishing off the last of my Thanksgiving stuffs. My girlfriend requested cream of turkey soup. I've never had. I've looked at some recipes, but any recommendations?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I have the flu and was boiling some water on the gas range (medium heat) to make a cup of tea for myself when I kind of zoned out. Around 30-40 minutes later, I got up to go make a cup of tea- forgetting I had already set water on to boil- and found the pot still on the burner but with all the water evaporated. There was a bit of white residue on the bottom, but there didn't seem to be any melting or cracking or anything. Is it unsafe to keep using this pot? It's a Chefmate cookware pot with a non-stick surface, and I've read up about the toxic chemicals that can be released but most people talk about that in terms of leaving an empty pot out for several hours. I think between the water completely evaporating and my discovery it couldn't have been more than 20 minutes. Should I be worried about there being some chemical residue that will make me sick?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That white stuff is just minerals from your water, it's totally fine. I dunno about the nonstick surface but if it wasn't at a high enough heat to burn it then nothing bad should've happened.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If I use an eggwhite raft to clarify chicken stock, is skimming still recommended? Will not doing so cause any bitterness or adverse flavors?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If I use an eggwhite raft to clarify chicken stock, is skimming still recommended? Will not doing so cause any bitterness or adverse flavors?

You can't really skim if you're using a raft- the raft is there to catch all the stuff that would cause an off flavor. Just keep it at a LOW simmer so as not to break up the raft.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CronoGamer posted:

I have the flu and was boiling some water on the gas range (medium heat) to make a cup of tea for myself when I kind of zoned out. Around 30-40 minutes later, I got up to go make a cup of tea- forgetting I had already set water on to boil- and found the pot still on the burner but with all the water evaporated. There was a bit of white residue on the bottom, but there didn't seem to be any melting or cracking or anything. Is it unsafe to keep using this pot? It's a Chefmate cookware pot with a non-stick surface, and I've read up about the toxic chemicals that can be released but most people talk about that in terms of leaving an empty pot out for several hours. I think between the water completely evaporating and my discovery it couldn't have been more than 20 minutes. Should I be worried about there being some chemical residue that will make me sick?

Personally, I wouldn't use it again. If you were boiling water it would have been on high heat and nonstick surfaces shouldn't ever be on high heat anyway. Its even worse if you had it on high heat with nothing in it.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

BraveUlysses posted:

Personally, I wouldn't use it again. If you were boiling water it would have been on high heat and nonstick surfaces shouldn't ever be on high heat anyway. Its even worse if you had it on high heat with nothing in it.

I had it on medium heat though; I never use high heat on my stove. Does that make a difference?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, medium is much better if you were using a nonstick pan. you're probably okay then.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can anyone recommend a good beef curry recipe? Ideally something that takes a long time to cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Can anyone recommend a good beef curry recipe? Ideally something that takes a long time to cook

rendang http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Beef-Rendang