Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Bulliet is distilled at/by four roses, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I should have specified yellow label. Thanks though, I did not realize that. When I was at the distillery last year they did not have anything Bulliet related.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

I should have specified yellow label. Thanks though, I did not realize that. When I was at the distillery last year they did not have anything Bulliet related.

Bulliet isn't affiliated with Four Roses, the latter simply distills the juice for the former, who then warehouse it somewhere (Indiana?) until bottling. Diageo has set up the Stitzler-Weller distillery downtown as a little museum, but no corn has seen boiling water there for many years unless it's morning grits.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Mr. Wookums posted:

For mixing bourbons I usually rotate the following bottles:
Buffalo Trace
Bullet
Elijah Craig 12 year
Four Roses (cheapest)

And I try to always have some Weller for wheated bourbon cocktails. As a disclaimer I have not had Evan Williams Black.

/e - Makers is good on occasion and ladies tend to like it for some reason, but for the price point and what it offers you should not use it as your staple mixer.

What cocktails benefit especially from using a wheated bourbon? I just ordered a bottle of Weller myself.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Hebug posted:

What cocktails benefit especially from using a wheated bourbon? I just ordered a bottle of Weller myself.

To your taste, sir. Makes a mean julip, that's for sure.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Klauser posted:

The internet isn't helping, so now I'm really intrigued. What does it taste like?

I don't know; it's at my parent's house, being theirs and all. Maybe on Thursday when I'm over there I can grab a swallow and maybe take a picture of the bottle or something.

tynam
May 14, 2007

rxcowboy posted:

Have you tried Bluecoat? I'm currently loving it in everything gin related I've thrown it into. I think it balances the juniper with citrus quite well. The only things I could see it being problematic in would be a G&T or a Martini if you prefer a heavier style gin in them. Although to be honest, I prefer a cheap aggressive gin like Gordon's in my G&Ts.

What drinks do you recommend with Bluecoat? I've seen it around at my local bar but never ordered it or bought it myself. Being a gin enthusiast myself I need to give it a shot.

Also, g'vine gin works surprisingly well with an Aviation - it's so weird it almost makes sense.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

tynam posted:

What drinks do you recommend with Bluecoat? I've seen it around at my local bar but never ordered it or bought it myself. Being a gin enthusiast myself I need to give it a shot.

Also, g'vine gin works surprisingly well with an Aviation - it's so weird it almost makes sense.

Last Word,Green Ghost, Bees Knees, Gimlet, Gin Sling, Martinez and Tom Collins all work really, really well with Bluecoat.

For years Bombay Sapphire was my workhorse gin, and so far Bluecoat has matched if not beaten it in every single cocktail. It's just really, really good.

I'm forcing myself *not* to buy it again later this week just so I can try other gins, and that's saying alot for me. So far the only liquors I've had to force myself not to buy again were Rittenhouse Rye for obvious reasons, and Evan Williams Black because for the price and quality it's an amazing well bourbon.

I'm kind of pissed I killed the bottle as fast as I did. If I had thought ahead I would have saved a little bit, and then made two of the same drink with Bluecoat and say Aviation or Plymouth. Then I could have done a more indepth comparison on how they perform in a cocktail.

I'm going to try something like Beefeater 24 next,because it will have a different flavor profile.

I need to try G'Vine, I have a feeling it would work well in almost every gin cocktail except a Martini or G&T.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Hello drank thread. I have recently been struck with invigoration for tiki. I have purchased Beach Bum Berry Remixed! and made my first Mai Tai with homemade orgeat syrup. After reading some of the book, I realized my rum selection is clearly lacking. I made due with a light and spiced rum for tonight's Mai Tai, but would welcome any rum recommendations that trend towards most widely applicable to tiki classics. On my shopping list is wray and newphew 151 proof rum and to find a jamaican rum. I figured I would start there, but reading the material it seems there is a situation for a ridiculous list of rums. Would just appreciate some experience for if I should pursue things like the Martinique/rum from every island available.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Congratulations on your Tiki Fever. Since you already have a light rum, then this previous post of mine applies to you perfectly (I recommend Flor de Caña 4 year Extra Dry for a white rum btw). In short, the best order of rum acquisition is light Spanish, dark Jamaican, gold Barbados, gold Spanish, Lemon Hart 151, and then 80-proof Demerara. Wray and Nephew (which is 126 proof, not 151) is mostly useful for making falernum. Martinique rums are delicious, but they're expensive and not called for very often, except in a Mai Tai. I'd just save those for later on in your rum collecting process. For a more robust primer on rum, I'd recommend my own Rum Thread, which has a good introduction, as well as a lot of information on specific rums throughout.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Kenning posted:

Congratulations on your Tiki Fever. Since you already have a light rum, then this previous post of mine applies to you perfectly (I recommend Flor de Caña 4 year Extra Dry for a white rum btw). In short, the best order of rum acquisition is light Spanish, dark Jamaican, gold Barbados, gold Spanish, Lemon Hart 151, and then 80-proof Demerara. Wray and Nephew (which is 126 proof, not 151) is mostly useful for making falernum. Martinique rums are delicious, but they're expensive and not called for very often, except in a Mai Tai. I'd just save those for later on in your rum collecting process. For a more robust primer on rum, I'd recommend my own Rum Thread, which has a good introduction, as well as a lot of information on specific rums throughout.

Kenning, thanks for the summarized info. As you are the resident preacher of life changing punch, I thought I'd mention I also purchased Punch by Wondrich and got a nifty bowl/cup set at a second hand store but haven't had an occasion yet. I feel as sucked in to these niches as I did when I first had a proper manhattan.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Happy Thxgiving all. Just quoting myself from last year for after dinner today:

Klauser posted:

I don't really have one for with dinner. After dinner though, when everyone is stuffed:

Bitter Giuseppe

2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz sweet vermouth (Carpano Antica if you have it)
2 dashes orange bitters
Slice of lemon with a little meat on it
Stir/Strain

The things this drink does to settle your stomach are nothing short of magical.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The first thing that came to my mind was "should I use steak or what"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I made a 1/3 batch of Frank Forrester's Punch for Thanksgiving. Since it was a smaller batch, we decided to do it up, and used Pierre Ferrand 1840 for the cognac and Roederer Estate for the champagne. It was goddamn delicious.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Since we're on gin talk recently, I don't drink a whole lot of it, but when I do it tends to be in rather boozy concoctions. I've found that stuff like Hendricks and even Bluecoat seems much smoother than something like Plymouth. I don't really think it's the juniper turning me off of it, so my question is, what's a good example of a really smooth, juniper heavy gin...? Presumably other than Plymouth which seems hot to me.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

No idea if they have it where you are, but: No. 3
http://www.no3gin.com/

Also only had it once but Monkey 47 is also pretty juniper-heavy IIRC?

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 30, 2013

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Anchor Junípero!

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
I'm addicted to this cocktail:

White Plains
1.5 Shine White Whiskey
0.75 Yellow Chartreuse
0.75 Dolin Bianco Vermouth
2 Dashes Regan's Orange Bitters

Stir, Up, Coupe, Flamed Orange Peel

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Just tried an 'After Coffee' for the first time and it's really good. Not nearly as bitter as I had expected, but it does have a kick. I think I'll be making this one often.

After Coffee
1.5 Campari
1 Dry Vermouth
0.5 Smith & Cross
0.25 Fernet Branca

stir/strain/garnish with mint sprig

breaks
May 12, 2001

Thanks dudes, looks like Junipero is available here for sure, and seems like Anchor also distributes No.3 so perhaps that's around as well. I'll give em a shot.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I just can't get into white whiskey, no matter how hard I try. Everything I've had tastes like gasoline to me.

note: don't drink gasoline

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 3, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's fine, the consensus is that white whiskey is pretty much bullshit.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kenning posted:

I concur with this. gently caress that bullshit they should actually be calling corn vodka.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's just a gimmick the craft scene is trying to market for the first 4-10 years until they develop a stock of properly aged whiskeys. It's a perfectly reasonable business move to pretend that white dog is some special exotic spirit that should command premium prices. It's just a bad idea to actually drink the stuff.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

I disagree, strongly. White whiskey is a perfectly acceptable expression of fermented cereals, and some of the ones destined for aging are still pretty nice distillates on their own. While I disagree with their marketing and pricing, Kings County is making a perfectly fine liquid in my backyard, and when I got to tour the makers mark and Willet distilleries, I tried both of their new makes right off the still, and I tell you: I wouldn't kick either out of bed. The Willet in particular, I can't wait for that to reach maturity. Hell, I told them I'd be making cocktails and/or drinking the white dog if they'd just release it, then a dude took his shirt off and we kind of had to keep moving. Now, Georgia Moon, I don't have much reason to get down with, but the aged version, Mellow Corn, has been a hit at a few parties, and real real affordable, to boot.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Vegetable Melange posted:

I disagree, strongly. White whiskey is a perfectly acceptable expression of fermented cereals, and some of the ones destined for aging are still pretty nice distillates on their own.

I'm on board with this, noting the use of the word some. (Though judging by the distillers I've talked to, Kenning is spot on with the motivation.) I'd say most of the white dog whiskeys (esp. the corn mashes) are trading on their harshness -- "Be macho! Drink moonshine!" -- and taste accordingly bad. The better ones exhibit a simple "pure cereal" note in addition to the booze that's worth mixing with. A bit more like silver rums than, say, vodka. (I'm more likely to sip a silver rum straight, though.)

The biggest knock against them is that they're pretty pricey for what they are. Notwithstanding that, I'll recommend Wigle Wheat Whiskey as a better white dog. (They have an unaged rye, too, but that's a bit rough, IMO.)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If white dog was selling for what white rums sell for ($12-$20) it might make more sense to get it and use it for a few appropriate applications. As it is I don't think it's worth the money most are selling for.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
So after years of buying bottom shelf poo poo to get all of my friends drunk, I'm finally in a position to start building a home bar for traditional cocktails.

I've read a lot of this thread, and picked up The Essential Cocktail. I'm trying to stay under $30 a fifth for now but I don't know for which liquors quality is most important. Here's what I'm planning on getting:

Sweet / Dry Vermouth (Already bought M&R)
Gin (Buying Tanqueray)
Rye Whiskey (?)
Vodka (?)
Tequila (?)
Light Rum (?)
Bourbon (? - probably Maker's Mark)
Orange Liqueur (I'd love to buy Cointreau, but I can't really justify the price).

And if I randomly find them:

Campari
Maraschino
Chartreuse

I'm also getting Angostura and Orange bitters, and am pretty much set on other mixers and equipment.

Any quick recommendations on brands under $30/fifth for the above? Or suggestions for a liquor I missed above that'll open as many cocktail doors?

Loutre fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 4, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'd suggest Wild Turkey 101 over Maker's for the bourbon as it stands up better in most cocktails for a similar price.

Beefeater or Bombay will serve just fine for gin a bit cheaper than Tanqueray and I actually prefer them.

Jim Beam makes a serviceable rye for little money while you find out what you really want to fill the gap.

Luksusowa is a fine and dandy vodka and about the only one I recommend.

A decent VS or VSOP cognac would be nice, as well. Remy/Couviossier/Hennessey would do fine. Asbach Uralt is also a solid brandy.

And Dekuyper O3 is a pretty good orange liqueur.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 4, 2013

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

For a new bar i'd suggest skipping campari and upgrading to contreau.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Skip the bar and upgrade to Campari :getin:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

^^^^^ /efb
Don't, know you like the triple sec drinks before you grab a bottle of Cointreau that may only be used for an occasional marg. If you like Campari, and please be sure before you buy a bottle, you will use it tons.

I'll suggest Espolon for tequila

Cruzon for run

Bluecoat for gin

RE: bourbon

Mr. Wookums posted:

For mixing bourbons I usually rotate the following bottles:
Buffalo Trace
Bullet
Elijah Craig 12 year
Four Roses (cheapest)

And I try to always have some Weller for wheated bourbon cocktails. As a disclaimer I have not had Evan Williams Black.

/e - Makers is good on occasion and ladies tend to like it for some reason, but for the price point and what it offers you should not use it as your staple mixer.

Maraschino before Chartreuse unless you can find the smalls.

Famous grouse for scotch you didn't ask for, it's a good mixing one for the cheap.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Loutre posted:

Sweet / Dry Vermouth (Already bought M&R)
Gin: Bluecoat or Beefeaters.
Rye Whiskey: Rittenhouse or Bulleit
Vodka: vodka sucks but if you have to get it get Skyy or New Amsterdam.
Tequila: Espolon, Milagro, Cazadores or El Jimador
Dark rum: El dorado 12
Bourbon: Wild turkey 101, Jim beam double black, evan williams black label.
Orange Liqueur : just get the Cointreau.
Scotch: Teachers, Famouse Grouse

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I ended up with

Tanqueray (had tried it before)
Luksusowa
Cruzan light rum
Maker's Mark (girlfriend twisted my arm into it)
Rittenhouse
Epsolon
Dekuyper O3 (after a long time staring at the Cointreau)
Luxardo (was surprised to find it at the cheaper local liquor store)

All for around $155. Looking forward to this weekend!

Also just realized I totally forgot Scotch even after writing down Famous Grouse. Next time.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Loutre posted:

I ended up with

Tanqueray (had tried it before)
Luksusowa
Cruzan light rum
Maker's Mark (girlfriend twisted my arm into it)
Rittenhouse
Epsolon
Dekuyper O3 (after a long time staring at the Cointreau)
Luxardo (was surprised to find it at the cheaper local liquor store)

All for around $155. Looking forward to this weekend!

Also just realized I totally forgot Scotch even after writing down Famous Grouse. Next time.

You can get a half gallon of Evan Williams for less than a fifth of Makers. I actually prefer it.
Try Pepsi challenging your girlfriend with it some time.
Old Crow is OK too.
I don't think any Bourbon is better than EW until you get near and just over $30. Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, 4 Roses, Blanton, etc.. I like them all better than EW but not enough to buy them regularly. Makers' 46 is pretty drat good though.

gently caress vodka. Just get Schmirrnoff; there is absolutely no reason to spend more than that on a neutral spirit. The only Vodka I like is Stohlichnya and that's because it's not proper Vodka, in that it has a flavor.

Try more Gins.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Kenning posted:

I made a 1/3 batch of Frank Forrester's Punch for Thanksgiving. Since it was a smaller batch, we decided to do it up, and used Pierre Ferrand 1840 for the cognac and Roederer Estate for the champagne. It was goddamn delicious.

Does that have a lot of bubbles remaining once it is all mixed? I am getting ready for my annual holiday cocktail party and trying to decide on a punch. Last year Admiral Russell's was excellent so I am thinking of a repeat, but that Frank Forrester's looks just fantastic. We already have a "sparkling" station so I don't want too much overlap.

And my annual question of how to mix things up a little bit. I have fallen into a comfortable pattern (rut?) of premixing manhattan and martini in carafes for the "classic" station, putting out a case of prosecco with creme de cassis, lemon and St Germain, and peach nectar for the "sparkling" station, and doing a punch and some heavily spiced hot cider with bourbon and kraken to mix. This is on top of a full DIY bar and guests usually bring beer and wine. Someone also always brings their grandmother's eggnog recipe that has got to be at least 50% bourbon.

The only thing I can think of is adding a carafe of negroni like I planned last year. Maybe some variation at the bubbly station?

fake edit: haha poo poo - I just looked at my post from last year's party with the same questions and I realize I didn't really take any of the suggestions ... I did eventually try most of the cocktails and am now thinking I should add that Improved Hollands old fashioned. I couldn't get the Bols Genever last year, but I got around to making it this summer. That may make the cut. I did not however try the rum drinks recommended. I will see if I can fit those in tomorrow. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Improved Hollands Old Fashioned is a great idea, and you should do it. You could also do a big batch of the Trident:

1 oz. aquavit
1 oz. Cynar
1 oz. "dry sherry"
2 dash peach bitters

Stir, strain, twist.

All of the recipes online say "dry sherry," which is a somewhat ambiguous term. A few blog posts show people making it with Manzanilla, and I've had it with fino, and both are safe choices. However, I've also had it with an Amontillado-style sherry (almost certainly not a proper Amontillado, which are fairly rare, but something a little drier than Oloroso), and also with Oloroso, and it was still a good drink. It may have even been better? I'm not sure. You should give it a whirl one way or another.

Punch-wise the Frank Forrester's retains it's fizz for a while provided your ice block is homemade and people don't get too keen on stirring it all up. And it's goddamn delicious flat too. However, I'll repeat my urging to do orange punch if the Sevilles are in and my own punch if not.

Also, if the party is such that there might be a dramatically-appropriate moment, consider making some Flaming Bishop in place of your usual hot cider option:

1 bottle gold rum (I use Flor de Caña 4 or Mt. Gay Eclipse)
1/2 gallon unfiltered apple cider
6 small navel oranges (or 3 if they're big)
2-4 oz. raw sugar
1 oz. allspice liqueur (if available; sub 10 hearty dashes Angostura)
1 pint boiling water
handful cloves
a few cinnamon sticks
a few oz. ground cinnamon, clove, allspice, nutmeg mixture
optionally, 4 oz. Lemon Hart Demerara 151

Stick the oranges full of cloves, cut in half, and bake at 325 for a half hour. Heat the rum by placing the bottle, loosely closed, into a pot full of simmering water on the stove for 10 minutes – use a steamer basket to keep the bottom of the rum off the bottom of the pot. Also heat the apple cider until just steaming.

When the moment has arrived, place the baked oranges into a pre-warmed crockpot along with the sugar and cinnamon sticks, and pour the hot rum in. Add the allspice liqueur/bitters and the overproof rum, and then dim the lights. Take a ladle of rum and light it on fire, and then pour the flaming rum back into the crockpot. Spend the next minute or two tossing the ground spices into the fire and making a show. When you feel like everyone's had enough, pour in the apple cider and the boiling water. It might flare up a bit, but will eventually quench the flames. You can also turn the lights back on.

This is a really fun, incredibly festive bowl drink. Tastes amazing too. Is scalable to a larger crockpot if you have one.

Where do you live man? I've been jealous of this Christmas party for 3 years running now.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

KWC posted:

The only thing I can think of is adding a carafe of negroni like I planned last year. Maybe some variation at the bubbly station?

I've made big batches of Negroni for gatherings before and it's always a hit, just don't forget to add some water.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Klauser posted:

I've made big batches of Negroni for gatherings before and it's always a hit, just don't forget to add some water.
Good call on the water - I assume just to replicate standard dilution from shaking? When I make one/two at a time I "shake with ice until the shaker starts to frost over" then strain. with the martini and manhattan I do in batches I stir with a boat load of ice until the pitcher gets really drat cold, but I have had to add a little water to tame the manhattan once. I'll keep it in mind.

Kenning posted:

The Improved Hollands Old Fashioned is a great idea, and you should do it.
Yeah, this is going to happen. At least a small batch because I don't know if I can get back to the one stupid liquor store that carries the Genever before tomorrow night.

It is now a toss up between the Admiral Russel or an orange punch. I didn't see seville oranges yet, but satsumas are in so maybe they are close behind. I don't have a lot of time to experiment so if I can't get seville oranges today I'll stick to the good old Admiral.

Kenning posted:

Also, if the party is such that there might be a dramatically-appropriate moment, consider making some Flaming Bishop in place of your usual hot cider option.
I love the idea, but this party usually consists of the first hour or two greeting people and socializing, then getting the second round of the food out, then getting progressively drunker over the next couple hours, then saying goodbyes or setting up beds for the overly inebriated, then making bad decisions like breaking out the good scotch...
I will definitely do this at my Christmas Eve family gathering where 12 or so people will really appreciate it. It can replace the mediocre attempts at flaming Christmas pudding.

Kenning posted:

Where do you live man? I've been jealous of this Christmas party for 3 years running now.

I'm in Cleveland, OH. You get the benefit of low cost of living, but you kind of have to make your fun FUN! to survive the long dreary winter. We love kicking things off with this party and then we can pretty much coast through the rest of the season at other peoples parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

KWC posted:

Good call on the water - I assume just to replicate standard dilution from shaking? When I make one/two at a time I "shake with ice until the shaker starts to frost over" then strain. with the martini and manhattan I do in batches I stir with a boat load of ice until the pitcher gets really drat cold, but I have had to add a little water to tame the manhattan once. I'll keep it in mind.

If you want to be more consistent spergy, try timing your shaking/stirring and pour it out into your jigger/mixing cups to see how much water you generate from x amount of time.

At home I've got it down to 22-24 seconds of stirring or 12-13 seconds of hard shaking for the magic 1/4 water dilution number with room temperature liquors and glasses. I did this mainly so I have a controlled way to test cocktails during my gin journey, and it worked out pretty well. Now I can actively manage the cocktails to taste if I want a drink to be softer/sharper.