Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water
The Iceman, the movie with Michael Shannon playing contract killer Richard Kuklinski, is up on USA Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Done The Impossible, a documentary about Firefly fans, is the most insufferable thing I've ever put myself through. And I liked Firefly and Serenity. Seriously, this is more painful than watching both Trekkies documentaries.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I watched an episode of Orange Is the New Black to get it off my recommendations queue and holy poo poo, this show is really good! Last time I did that was with Doc Martin, because I was sick of seeing Martin Clune's frankly pretty weird face staring at me, and that one was good too. I gotta start trusting netflix more.

But god dammit, I'm not watching Ted Talks: Lifehacks. There's no part of that title I don't want to punch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

drat, it looks like Netflix got the "Baby's First Photoshop" version of The Sword in the Stone. :(

Franchescanado posted:

A Shot In the Dark

Best of the Pink Panther movies by far.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

iv46vi posted:

We also had The Shield for a while, but it requires a serious time commitment with six seasons of a very linear show.

Yeah but... thats like devoting serious time to Breaking Bad or the Sopranos - The Shield is an amazing show, and probably the least widely known of the triple-A amazing US dramas of the last decade or two.

marktheando posted:

You don't need to pay, I'm accessing US Netflix on my UK Xbox just by changing the DNS settings.

Thats interesting - I wasn't able to do it at all without a proper region swapper - maybe the fact that its a UK Xbox in Germany watching US Netflix is just too weird?

Watched Top of The Lake, The Fall and The US Killing Season 3. As much as I enjoyed them, I now think I have had enough for the moment of gritty crime dramas starring the strong woman [not Sarah Lund] with the beautiful but bleak scenery of [not Scandinavia] and the plot points of [definitely not the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo]. I honestly enjoyed each very very much, but there's a lot of shared DNA there.

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 3, 2013

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I heartily endorse this film

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Good date movie!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iv46vi posted:

Canadian Netflix had a whole bunch of good stuff added recently.

Drive, Downton Abbey, Fast Five, Amelie, Bridesmaids, Addams Family Values, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Snakes on a Plane

Looks like enough good stuff to last through holiday season.

We also had The Shield for a while, but it requires a serious time commitment with six seasons of a very linear show.

The Shield has short seasons, It's like 70 episodes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One film that's been added recently (though it may have been one of those that periodically drifts in) is Friday Foster, IMO one of the more underrated blaxploitation films. It's a lot less seedy and more comic book-y than most, with a good sense of fun to it, and one of the best casts ever assembled for a film in this or any genre- Pam Grier, Yaphet Kotto, Carl Weathers, Scatman Crothers, Eartha Kitt, Jim Backus. It was actually based on a comic strip, albeit one that had stopped running by the time the movie came out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yaws posted:

I still find myself thinking of that film fairly often, nearly a year after I first watched it. Everyone should see it. It is beautifully done and worth it just to see Ryan Gosling in old age makeup.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Chichevache posted:

I still find myself thinking of that film fairly often, nearly a year after I first watched it. Everyone should see it. It is beautifully done and worth it just to see Ryan Gosling in old age makeup.

Yeah it's really memorable. Gosling is a great actor and Williams gives an amazing performance. Just a very moving film.

That last scene :smith:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

monstertruckdriver posted:

The Iceman, the movie with Michael Shannon playing contract killer Richard Kuklinski, is up on USA Netflix.

I watched all of the kluklinski interviews a while back. Is this movie any good?

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

If you dig Michael Shannon, yes.

If not, it's...not bad but Shannon is the main reason to see it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

If you dig Michael Shannon, yes.

If not, it's...not bad but Shannon is the main reason to see it.

Actually I was just talking in the gen chat thread about how the unlikely Chris Evans ends up out-acting Michael Shannon, which I would not have thought possible.

Still not a very good movie.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yaws posted:

I'm imagining the soundtrack to this as a grizzly bear thrashing around a music studio with the record button stuck on.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That would be way more interesting than the dull folksy musings that are Grizzly Bear.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

grizzly bear owns,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched an episode of Orange Is the New Black to get it off my recommendations queue and holy poo poo, this show is really good!

I only watched it because MY GIRLFRIEND badgered me, but yes I was very pleasantly surprised. It's a bit twee sometimes, but all the other things it has going for it more than make up for that.

edit: it also has a really amazing use of the Tune-Yards song "Gangster" a couple episodes in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mds2 posted:

I watched all of the kluklinski interviews a while back. Is this movie any good?

No. In fact, the movie shits all over the interviews.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Ice Man felt like it was trying to be Goodfellas, but failed miserably.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Have you guys talked about the Comedy yet? I've watched it like 5 times now. It is amazing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jst0rm posted:

Have you guys talked about the Comedy yet? I've watched it like 5 times now. It is amazing.

Yeah, a lot of goons loved it on here. Personally I did not get the hype at all.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I watched it right after Shut Up and Play the Hits and then whoa James Murphy was there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

I watched an episode of Orange Is the New Black to get it off my recommendations queue and holy poo poo, this show is really good! Last time I did that was with Doc Martin, because I was sick of seeing Martin Clune's frankly pretty weird face staring at me, and that one was good too. I gotta start trusting netflix more.

I kinda liked this when I finally watched it, but man, talk about a show that ends just as it was getting interesting. Also the protagonist is blatantly dull and unlikable compared to literally every other character on the show, right up until she (final episode spoilers) snaps and beats the gently caress out of the Pennsyltucky at the end.

Here's hoping for season two!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jst0rm posted:

I loved the Comedy. I'm not a Tim and Eric fan so I was wary when I saw Tim was in it but I thought he was pretty good. If you're someone is on the fence just go and watch it. It's not a comedy and the characters are unlikable people but it's well done.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

marktheando posted:

You don't need to pay, I'm accessing US Netflix on my UK Xbox just by changing the DNS settings.

I can't get that to work on my PS3. Or maybe I'm not using the right Canadian/UK DNS settings.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, a lot of goons loved it on here. Personally I did not get the hype at all.

I think for me it was getting over the offensiveness and realizing that its purpose was exposing that to us. I thought all of the acting, sound, music and writing was top notch.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
My mother mentioned to me the other day that the copyright stuff on Orange Is the New Black was labeled as 2007, is the show secretly years old or was it copyrighted years ago for some reason?

It'd make sense if this show was filmed but never picked up by a network then netflix bought it, but that doesn't seem likely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Comedy is probably the best depiction of a severely disaffected internet male I've ever seen, carried fully by Tim Heidecker's inherent shitheadedness as an actor. If there was a saturation of movies of that specific type I might have found it tiresome. That's not to say it's "fresh" or whatever, I'm aware there are a lot of character studies about unpleasant) social misfits, but the specificity of it was something I liked. It looks really great, too.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
They would never film an entire season with no $ backer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The copyright is probably related to the book the show is based on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Me in Reverse posted:

The copyright is probably related to the book the show is based on.

IIRC that book is only a couple years old, although I guess the manuscript could've been much older.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

IIRC that book is only a couple years old, although I guess the manuscript could've been much older.

Huh, I didn't know it was based on a book. That makes more sense. Sometimes it takes ages for a book to get published so it's likely the book is that old.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The author got out of jail in 2005, and the snippets of the book I've read were obscenely awful, so I could see the manuscript being shopped around in 2007 and not being published until 2010.

Seriously, she's an awful writer.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

iv46vi posted:

Fast Five

If anyone's never seen this, pour out a Corona for Paul Walker and watch it ASAP, because holy poo poo it's awesome and I'm super jealous of our neighbors up north.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The author got out of jail in 2005, and the snippets of the book I've read were obscenely awful, so I could see the manuscript being shopped around in 2007 and not being published until 2010.

Seriously, she's an awful writer.

I don't remember anything about reading it except it was like reading bad Mary Roach.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

If anyone's never seen this, pour out a Corona for Paul Walker and watch it ASAP, because holy poo poo it's awesome and I'm super jealous of our neighbors up north.

"One, I need a translator. Two. Stay the gently caress out of my way."

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if it's on any streaming service, but Running Scared is an amazing, absolutely insane Paul Walker film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sock The Great posted:

I don't know if it's on any streaming service, but Running Scared is an amazing, absolutely insane Paul Walker film.
The scene with the couple who kidnaps/molests/kills children is legitimately one of the creepiest scenes committed to film in the last decade. Anyone who's seen it instantly knows what scene I'm referring to. It sends chills down your spine and makes you want to puke because it's so creepy and disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sock The Great posted:

Looks like it's on Amazon Instant Watcher.

I might borrow my parents prime account to give it a shot.

• Locked thread