Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

What have I done? :ohdear:

Nova88 posted:

With Sons of Abraham, which of the new features are restricted to the DLC, and which stuff is integrated into the base game?

Playing as a Jew and I believe most of the new features for Christians (like the college of cardinals, new papal actions, etc.) are for DLC only.

Bishop Rodan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I've made a few small fixes to Sonendar-- the "Unify the Reichsmarch" ambition is now available to AIs, I've restored its icon, and fixed the broken CB. Now the Marchlander nations should be able to declare wars to subjugate each other. I've also fixed the Tribal invasion CB-- we shouldn't be seeing the Bekhtar Raiders and the other Corsair republics wage wars to invade Bregnac and take over the land nations now. However, Zakrum Marza realms do have this CB -- only female Zakrum Marza leaders Duke-level and higher may declare a tribal invasion.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So how is project balance these days? I plan on getting back into the game and thought I'd try the VIET/PB combo mod since the consensus seems to be turning away from ck2+

Wait, which mods are these? I'm just coming back to the game and if ck2+ isn't being updated anymore I'd like to try some other mods.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mayor Dave posted:

Wait, which mods are these? I'm just coming back to the game and if ck2+ isn't being updated anymore I'd like to try some other mods.

CK2+ is still being updated, but it's moving in the direction of "Things the mod makers like" rather than the old style of "the base game, but better". VIET is Vanilla Immersion, Events, and Traits, basically adding more of those things to the game without changing the base gameplay. PB is Project Balance, and is another "the base game, but better"-style mod.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

The piety cost for recruiting the order of the holy sepulchre dropped after I vassalized them. I'm assuming the same will hold true for the price of any given mercenary order if you can vassalize them, making for cheaper mercenaries and denying their use to the enemy when you go to war?

This is absolutely true. Vassalized mercenaries and holy orders are cheaper to hire and maintain. You can see how this works by playing as the Byzantines and comparing the Varangian Guard to comparable mercenaries, or playing whoever controls Persia in your start and looking at the Mamluks.

If you ever get the chance to vassalize a holy order or mercenaries, go ahead and do it. It's something like a 90% cost reduction.

Nova88 posted:

With Sons of Abraham, which of the new features are restricted to the DLC, and which stuff is integrated into the base game?

If you don't have the DLC:
  • Catholics can't ask the Pope for claims or money. Catholic invasions didn't change, though.
  • Catholics can't play the Pope election minigame; the Pope is just randomly generated, like before.
  • The old rules for great holy wars apply. Crusades/Jihads/Great Holy Wars aren't unlocked by in-game events, just the date.
  • Holy orders appear based on the old rules and you'll never see the new ones.
  • You can't interact with holy orders, borrowing/donating money or giving them land grants for piety.
  • You can't force people to become monks.
  • You can't play as a Jew, and won't get Judaism events or Jewish courtiers.
  • Muslims don't get the option to join the new schools of thought.
  • You can't supplant a religion with a heresy. The events to push Lollardism over Catholicism or Ibadism over Sunni Islam don't appear.
  • There are a bunch of flavor events that will never fire, like the Joan of Arc event and the demonspawn child event.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cease to Hope posted:

[*]Muslims Sunnis don't get the option to join the new schools of thought.

Fixed that for you, which I discovered after playing the Shi'a sultan of Mauretania for about 50 years until I discovered that my character is ineligible for the new traits. Which are quite powerful by the way. And strangely composed, you yourself will almost never want to have the decadence reducing trait, since it will give you only piety, while the 5 learning from the other trait is very useful (if your are a duke or above). On the other hand, if all your male relatives are Ash'ari you would be much better off.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Fixed that for you, which I discovered after playing the Shi'a sultan of Mauretania for about 50 years until I discovered that my character is ineligible for the new traits. Which are quite powerful by the way. And strangely composed, you yourself will almost never want to have the decadence reducing trait, since it will give you only piety, while the 5 learning from the other trait is very useful (if your are a duke or above). On the other hand, if all your male relatives are Ash'ari you would be much better off.

Ashari is useful for the main character if you're the leader of a large empire, because piety makes pretty much all Muslims like you better, and also because you can get to the point where you start racking up decadence yourself. Ashari makes Muslim world conquests possible.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Are you able to to use the custom ruler DLC when starting ironman mode? I tried it last night twice but both times it overrode what I changed and made me play as the generic count I was modifying.

I also have the other DLC which let's you rename your kingdoms/houses but all I could do was use the haircut mode. I wanted to do an Ironman with my starting vassals being from my real life friends' houses so I could see who would last into the 1400s :/

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 4, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ivar the Boneless is an amazing start with all of those event troops. Conquering all of Ireland is trivially easy, and if there hadn't been a goof-up with me joining somebody else's subjugation, I probably could have taken all of Scotland as well.

And, having conquered Ireland and most of southern Scotland still left enough event troops over for Ivar's son to crush the mother of all rebellions. Literally every single one of my jarls is currently in my dungeon. :smug:

Welcome to Ivarland, bitches.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DStecks posted:

And, having conquered Ireland and most of southern Scotland still left enough event troops over for Ivar's son to crush the mother of all rebellions. Literally every single one of my jarls is currently in my dungeon. :smug:

Blot til u drop

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DStecks posted:

Ivar the Boneless is an amazing start with all of those event troops. Conquering all of Ireland is trivially easy, and if there hadn't been a goof-up with me joining somebody else's subjugation, I probably could have taken all of Scotland as well.

Welcome to Ivarland, bitches.

I miss the vanilla color scheme, hate CK2+'s stupid garish yellow Scotland. It would have been cool if the customizer DLC let you let you change colors as well.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Blot til u drop

Oh yeah, I took care of that one. :black101: I don't care if I got Kinslayer three times over, literally the only vassal of mine that didn't rebel was the count of Connaught. gently caress em. gently caress em all.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Could someone please clarify the "Must rule for 10 years" requirement before changing succession laws? Playing as an Irish Earl, I acquired a couple of additional counties and then made a duchy and then another. All this while (around 20+ years), every time I checked the conditions, it said I must rule for 10 years and was red. Does it reset every time you acquire a new title or something like that?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Tips on playing as a Catholic in Poland on an Old Gods start? It feels tough to take any land from pagans :-S

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

PureRok posted:

Finally finished getting Jeanne d'Arc into The Old Gods start point. I even put some custom art in there, including her real coat of arms.

e: Don't tell her this, but she dies in 870 via execution. :ssh:

Huh, do you have to be Catholic for that to pop? Or can it be for any religion?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Alectai posted:

Huh, do you have to be Catholic for that to pop? Or can it be for any religion?

I don't think that's in SoA; I think that's a character he modded in.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Are you able to to use the custom ruler DLC when starting ironman mode? I tried it last night twice but both times it overrode what I changed and made me play as the generic count I was modifying.

I also have the other DLC which let's you rename your kingdoms/houses but all I could do was use the haircut mode. I wanted to do an Ironman with my starting vassals being from my real life friends' houses so I could see who would last into the 1400s :/

Nope, ruler designer does not work with ironman. That's deliberate on Paradox's part. They don't want you cheesing the ruler designer to get all the achievements or some poo poo. See here.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Unimpressed posted:

Could someone please clarify the "Must rule for 10 years" requirement before changing succession laws? Playing as an Irish Earl, I acquired a couple of additional counties and then made a duchy and then another. All this while (around 20+ years), every time I checked the conditions, it said I must rule for 10 years and was red. Does it reset every time you acquire a new title or something like that?

Every time your primary title changes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Unimpressed posted:

The timer resets every time your primary title changes, so when you are a count(earl) and create a duchy, you need to wait 10 years again.

Cease to Hope posted:

Ashari is useful for the main character if you're the leader of a large empire, because piety makes pretty much all Muslims like you better, and also because you can get to the point where you start racking up decadence yourself. Ashari makes Muslim world conquests possible.

Huh, I never had an empire big enough that my ruler began to gain decadence by himself. But by the time Ash'ari becomes useful, the other trait has probably lost it's value because your capital is most likely already the most advanced county in the world.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Grizzwold posted:

Nope, ruler designer does not work with ironman. That's deliberate on Paradox's part. They don't want you cheesing the ruler designer to get all the achievements or some poo poo. See here.

They mentioned they were looking into getting Ironman working with RR, without achievements obviously, during one of the CK2 streams. Maybe mods too, I don't remember, but it shouldn't be that difficult for them to implement it if they get RR working.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DStecks posted:

Oh yeah, I took care of that one. :black101: I don't care if I got Kinslayer three times over, literally the only vassal of mine that didn't rebel was the count of Connaught. gently caress em. gently caress em all.

I tried this, got hosed by a scottish, irish and catholic rebellion. Then an adventurer showed up.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

This is absolutely true. Vassalized mercenaries and holy orders are cheaper to hire and maintain. You can see how this works by playing as the Byzantines and comparing the Varangian Guard to comparable mercenaries, or playing whoever controls Persia in your start and looking at the Mamluks.
Am I then also right in assuming if I give land and then vassalize regular mercenary units they will all become both cheaper and inaccessible to the enemy once war is declared? Because that sure would be a thing if through some shrewd diplomacy you could shut out your foes from all of the mercenary bands worth getting.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Am I then also right in assuming if I give land and then vassalize regular mercenary units they will all become both cheaper and inaccessible to the enemy once war is declared? Because that sure would be a thing if through some shrewd diplomacy you could shut out your foes from all of the mercenary bands worth getting.

Nobody but you can hire your vassal mercenaries ever. You can see this if you play a Muslim ruler: the Mamluks will appear as mercenaries, but nobody can hire them except their liege. It's not easy to do, though, since most mercenaries can't be granted titles unless they are already your vassal. You'd have to get them to take over territory somehow, then vassalize them from there.

I don't know if this applies to holy orders as well. I've only ever seen a vassal holy order when I vassalized my own religion's, and thus nobody could use them against me anyway.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

Nobody but you can hire your vassal mercenaries ever. You can see this if you play a Muslim ruler: the Mamluks will appear as mercenaries, but nobody can hire them except their liege. It's not easy to do, though, since most mercenaries can't be granted titles unless they are already your vassal. You'd have to get them to take over territory somehow, then vassalize them from there.

I don't know if this applies to holy orders as well. I've only ever seen a vassal holy order when I vassalized my own religion's, and thus nobody could use them against me anyway.
Mercenaries will take over land when they don't get paid I think? That'd be one way, I did not know you couldn't grant land to mercenary orders if they didn't already have any.

In my game, Egypt is slowly integrating the de jure kingdom of Mauritania into itself, is there any way for me to stop this, or reverse the process once it is done? Egypt in Morocco is weird and offends my senses.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Mercenaries will take over land when they don't get paid I think? That'd be one way, I did not know you couldn't grant land to mercenary orders if they didn't already have any.

In general, you can't grant land to people who aren't your subjects unless it's the Catholic Church.

quote:

In my game, Egypt is slowly integrating the de jure kingdom of Mauritania into itself, is there any way for me to stop this, or reverse the process once it is done? Egypt in Morocco is weird and offends my senses.

You can stop it by going and conquering part of it, or helping someone else to do so. Once it's done, it's done. As long as at least one barony in Mauritania isn't held by the Egyptian sultan, de jure drift will stop.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I've ignored the hell out of CKII since about the time old gods came out (new job :sigh:), but have picked up all the dlc I've missed (old gods, republic and sons of Abraham), and obvious question is: what's the biggest new things aside from the obvious new religions/nations to play as and the start date?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Walliard posted:

Every time your primary title changes.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure 10 years had passed, I'll keep a closer eye on it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Experto Crede posted:

I've ignored the hell out of CKII since about the time old gods came out (new job :sigh:), but have picked up all the dlc I've missed (old gods, republic and sons of Abraham), and obvious question is: what's the biggest new things aside from the obvious new religions/nations to play as and the start date?

Tech system is way different and not completely ignorable anymore.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's the gamiest strategy for getting myself educated? I'm playing a succession game and found myself sandwiched between angry Muslims and angry Lollards at age 2. Fortunately my predecessor managed to grab France but I'm in deep trouble.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

What's the gamiest strategy for getting myself educated? I'm playing a succession game and found myself sandwiched between angry Muslims and angry Lollards at age 2. Fortunately my predecessor managed to grab France but I'm in deep trouble.

There's absolutely nothing you can do until age 6. At age 6, send yourself to a good educator, just like you would any child in your realm. An ideal educator is a Grey Eminence of your religion, with lots of virtues and no Wrathful/Cruel/Craven/Shy/Slothful/Zealous. It also helps if they don't hate you, but a good educator who doesn't like you is better than a bad one who does. If you're playing the child yourself, culture doesn't matter since you can choose not to culture-convert.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cease to Hope posted:

There's absolutely nothing you can do until age 6. At age 6, send yourself to a good educator, just like you would any child in your realm. An ideal educator is a Grey Eminence of your religion, with lots of virtues and no Wrathful/Cruel/Craven/Shy/Slothful/Zealous. It also helps if they don't hate you, but a good educator who doesn't like you is better than a bad one who does. If you're playing the child yourself, culture doesn't matter since you can choose not to culture-convert.

I've got a great Grey Eminence with decent stats/traits (including Diligent) but Zealous, is it that bad? I know it tends to make people pick the prayer options in childrearing but if the rest of the traits are good it might be worth it.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Unimpressed posted:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure 10 years had passed, I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Hover over the title in the Laws screen and you should get a tooltip telling you since when you've had the title.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The Ilkhanate isn't falling over and is squashing every single rebellion as soon as they start. No one dares to go after them. They even pushed the Golden Horde up into the last bits of Previously Known As Perm and Finland. The second, third and fourth largest powers in the world combined can't match their troops. I think the world just ended.

StashAugustine posted:

I've got a great Grey Eminence with decent stats/traits (including Diligent) but Zealous, is it that bad? I know it tends to make people pick the prayer options in childrearing but if the rest of the traits are good it might be worth it.

Zealous is good in some cases and bad in others, but it's generally an decent thing to have. Keep that teacher.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I have a question about de jure incorporation of duchies into kingdoms. In the picture below the all counties in the Duchy of Ulster had previously been within the realm of the Scottish ruler, and the duchy was about half a century into being incorporated into the Kingdom of Scotland. After a long and bloody war with the Scots, I took Oriel, which began the reversal of the process. What I'm not sure of is, if I wait out the rest of the reversal, will the remaining three counties automatically become part of my realm, or will they remain Scottish but lands I have a Casus Belli on as part of the de jure Kingdom of Ireland?

This is my first game of this, by the way, and I'm hooked in a huge way. I got in a bit of a pickle at one point with no heirs and a tight spot to gain any more. Now the heir I managed to wangle then is 69 and since coming of age he's:

Fulfilled every ambition he's had, including becoming King of Ireland
Married a beautiful woman and had 7 mostly very talented children by her, spreading Ireland across his offspring, and leaving the fattest pile of titles and holdings for his heir
Had three affairs - the second with his heir's wife, and the third with the wife of a grandson - and bastard children from each.
Significantly upgrade military capability and beaten the Scots and stopped their thieving of the Duchy of Ulster's de jure status

All hail King Selbach The Hunter. :black101:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You already have claims on those lands. Assassinate their king and take the next piece.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You already have claims on those lands. Assassinate their king and take the next piece.

The King of Scotland? What if I don't have the capability?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I have a question about de jure incorporation of duchies into kingdoms. In the picture below the all counties in the Duchy of Ulster had previously been within the realm of the Scottish ruler, and the duchy was about half a century into being incorporated into the Kingdom of Scotland. After a long and bloody war with the Scots, I took Oriel, which began the reversal of the process. What I'm not sure of is, if I wait out the rest of the reversal, will the remaining three counties automatically become part of my realm, or will they remain Scottish but lands I have a Casus Belli on as part of the de jure Kingdom of Ireland?

De jure drift is an all-or-nothing thing; a duchy either de jure drifts, or doesn't. The "it's halfway to drifting" status is, for these purposes, irrelevant; the Duchy of Ulster is still de jure part of Ireland.

De jure drifting is also irrelevant to the process of 'who controls the land' - in this instance, Ulster was halfway to becoming a "de jure" ("by law") part of Scotland, but by taking Oriel you stopped that process. The counties of Ulster, Tyrone, and Tyrconnel, then, are de jure part of Ireland - but as they are under Scotland's control at the moment, they are de facto ("by fact (I think)," as opposed to "by law") part of Scotland.

The upshot to all of this is that control of those counties will not flip over to you because of de jure drift or the stopping of de jure drift; the only way you get them back is by taking them back, either through inheritance-schemes or through main force of arms.

The good part is that you already have Casus Belli to reclaim those lands; you have an automatic CB to take any lands that are part of your de jure realm. Again, the sctual drift process is irrelevant here; you have the CB whether the de jure drift is one year underway, or ninety-nine years underway; you only lose it when the 100 year timer hits and the duchy actually drifts (which won't happen now that you control Oriel). So you're clear to start taking 'em back at your earliest convenience.

EDIT: You always have the capability to assassinate people; it's called gold. You just have to save it up. ;) Alternatively (and this is almost always the better option, really), you can start a Plot to have the Scottish King killed, and if he has enough unhappy courtiers they might join your plot and do the killing for you, and that won't cost you a dime.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Can you do anything funny if you turn a merchant republic cathar?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

The King of Scotland? What if I don't have the capability?

Then wait for him or your king to die naturally, or wait for the truce to expire.

edit: if you have Sons of Abraham, use papal claims to expand into Wales, or request an invasion of Scotland if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

De jure drift is an all-or-nothing thing; a duchy either de jure drifts, or doesn't. The "it's halfway to drifting" status is, for these purposes, irrelevant; the Duchy of Ulster is still de jure part of Ireland.

De jure drifting is also irrelevant to the process of 'who controls the land' - in this instance, Ulster was halfway to becoming a "de jure" ("by law") part of Scotland, but by taking Oriel you stopped that process. The counties of Ulster, Tyrone, and Tyrconnel, then, are de jure part of Ireland - but as they are under Scotland's control at the moment, they are de facto ("by fact (I think)," as opposed to "by law") part of Scotland.

The upshot to all of this is that control of those counties will not flip over to you because of de jure drift or the stopping of de jure drift; the only way you get them back is by taking them back, either through inheritance-schemes or through main force of arms.

The good part is that you already have Casus Belli to reclaim those lands; you have an automatic CB to take any lands that are part of your de jure realm. Again, the sctual drift process is irrelevant here; you have the CB whether the de jure drift is one year underway, or ninety-nine years underway; you only lose it when the 100 year timer hits and the duchy actually drifts (which won't happen now that you control Oriel). So you're clear to start taking 'em back at your earliest convenience.

EDIT: You always have the capability to assassinate people; it's called gold. You just have to save it up. ;) Alternatively (and this is almost always the better option, really), you can start a Plot to have the Scottish King killed, and if he has enough unhappy courtiers they might join your plot and do the killing for you, and that won't cost you a dime.

Good point about the Plots, and they've saved my bacon before, but with regard to assassination, if my intrigue is not good enough, I get a low percentage chance to succeed which is no good unless I save-scum... regardless of gold, no? In any case, if he died wouldn't his heir just be the new liege of those counties and I'd still have to take them by force?

I thought it was unlikely they'd flip as a result of the reversal - guess I fudged the de jure and de facto in my mind just enough to confuse me.

The rules of succession are the hardest thing I've had to get my head around so far in this game, unlike EUIII where it was economy. This game is generally a lot easier to get to grips with, though.

• Locked thread