Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HughGRect posted:

Maybe we should complain about that mask on the forums and guilt Funcom into giving the community the choice of another future subscriber item. Get the pubs back for the horse head bitch fest last summer.

GoodPlatMurray, that's your que to get unbanned and make it happen.

I didn't really look, but it seems like the pubbies like this one. So apparently this is just dandy andawesome, but a horse head mask that exists in real life? No, that's TOO FAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Hey, someone leaked images of Samael Chandra, the CEO of Orochi.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I get no credit for my pic? :(

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

guppy posted:

I get no credit for my pic? :(

Oh, you get all the credit.

**Also, Director letter. Sounds like Tokyo's hitting somewhere between early January and late March. The new horizontal progression thing will be about putting up and breaking down different kinds of shields. And a new Pubby difficulty level for scenarios, which you can probably platinum in QL10 greens and an okay build.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 3, 2013

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I've been diddling around in TSW for a couple months now and finally signed up at the offsite forums. I'll pop into mumble when I get a chance.

Got to say I don't like the sound of this shield nonsense in Tokyo. Early to be forming an opinion, but it strikes me as a needless additional layer of gubbins. I am completely informed in this statement and am no way expressing a knee-jerk reaction and fear of change

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I just want more missions. Is that really too much to ask?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You missed a word there:

Remora posted:

I just want more investigation missions. Is that really too much to ask?
A lot of them. And I don't mean bad ones like The Red Thread, which aren't actually investigations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Remora posted:

I just want more missions. Is that really too much to ask?

But scenarios! They're so dynamic!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

if dynamic means repetitive and annoying then yes

extremely dynamic

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

Oh, you get all the credit.

**Also, Director letter. Sounds like Tokyo's hitting somewhere between early January and late March. The new horizontal progression thing will be about putting up and breaking down different kinds of shields. And a new Pubby difficulty level for scenarios, which you can probably platinum in QL10 greens and an okay build.

Elites alone have a massively horrible drop rate. I can't imagine that new difficulty will do anything but give you one green for the third boss.

Unless it's broken at launch.

EDIT: There is no way AEGIS isn't going to be massively buggy at launch. I can't imagine how that system is going to come cleanly off the ground.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just want more jumping puzzles. Ones that you can't corpse hop.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

orcane posted:

You missed a word there:

A lot of them. And I don't mean bad ones like The Red Thread, which aren't actually investigations.

There will be no more good investigation missions, Funcom fired the dudes who wrote them and the dudes who programmed them. The only programmers left are the ones who excelled in wave defense style missions or long hallway missions, and the one dude who masterfully puts them together for lovely hallways with several wave defense points. And don't forget the twitter twats writers who create the stories behind those hallways and wave defense parties. I wonder how much of the TSW bible/roadmap is left for those writers to use before we really get to see what their ideas are like.

I hear Uwe Boll got a job with Funcom and his task is to make the Tokyo invasion awesome.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HughGRect posted:

There will be no more good investigation missions, Funcom fired the dudes who wrote them and the dudes who programmed them. The only programmers left are the ones who excelled in wave defense style missions or long hallway missions, and the one dude who masterfully puts them together for lovely hallways with several wave defense points. And don't forget the twitter twats writers who create the stories behind those hallways and wave defense parties. I wonder how much of the TSW bible/roadmap is left for those writers to use before we really get to see what their ideas are like.

I hear Uwe Boll got a job with Funcom and his task is to make the Tokyo invasion awesome.

I am so sad to see the ever genial Hugh this melancholy. I personally blame each and every one of you.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

1.8.2.2 posted:

Need/Greed windows should now always appear on screen.

They love you, Zhaan.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Cheston posted:

They love you, Zhaan.

Jesus Christ, finally.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Of course, being Funcom, I assume they mean that now Need/Greed windows appear all the time, even when in cutscenes, even when soloing, even when no loot exists in your instance?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Of course, being Funcom, I assume they mean that now Need/Greed windows appear all the time, even when in cutscenes, even when soloing, even when no loot exists in your instance?

I haven't even logged into the game since the patch (although I really should since maybe I'll be able to beat a scenario in spite of being really awful at this game) and whenever I close my eyes I see a need/greed window.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Crossing my fingers, it seems to be working fine. I'm kind of angry after the fact seeing just how many augment windows I was missing though. I was getting one or so a wave and now I have six need/greed options after a boss sometimes.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

How would something like this be for babby's first tank build (Blade/Hammer)? I haven't really started putting together gear, but according to previous thread info I should be shooting for 650+ hit, 750-800+ block, and 200+/750+ pen depending on how hard I wind up going for DPS. I didn't know whether Agitator or Fuel to the Fire was better, or if I even need them at all, so I slotted Fuel to the Fire on the assumption that my DPS is going to suck (at least at first), but I have no idea what I'm doing or really how hate works.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Remora posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing or really how hate works.

Sir or Madame,

You have demonstrated the appropriate skillset necessary to become a Sr Lead Developer at Funcom Productions A/S. Please submit a formal resume and salary requirements to jobs@funcom.com. We look forward to having you on the team.

Sincerely,
Ragnar Tørnquist

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Remora posted:

How would something like this be for babby's first tank build (Blade/Hammer)? I haven't really started putting together gear, but according to previous thread info I should be shooting for 650+ hit, 750-800+ block, and 200+/750+ pen depending on how hard I wind up going for DPS. I didn't know whether Agitator or Fuel to the Fire was better, or if I even need them at all, so I slotted Fuel to the Fire on the assumption that my DPS is going to suck (at least at first), but I have no idea what I'm doing or really how hate works.

Hmmm, couple things seem wrong to me. Lets start with the passives because they are really what make or break a build.

Two of your passives are ok: Shoot 'em Up and Break Down, applying afflict and exposed are good and the required meta for tanks. You also have the right idea with Cool, Calm and Collected. But you won't be getting the damage buff enough to make it worth while, and the defense buff will only go off when you don't need it and really the cases that it will save you will be few and far between. My suggestion for a generic replacement is Fluid Defense (blade inner elite) for the damage boost on penetrates. Now Fuel to the Fire is crutch aggro ability that might be useful early as a tank because of the way it works with afflictions. But by the time you have 10.2.2 gear you will be pulling it out for something that gives more deeps.

Hysteria, Voracity and Your Next shouldn't be there. Some passives I feel should be in the build is 12 Gouge so you can also apply debilitated, which debuffs the doods to do 30% less damage. Some suggestions for replacements are things like Twist the Knife, Lethality, Elemental Force, Brawler and other damage increasing passives.

Now lets talk about some actives, especially the ones to remove: Point of Harmony, Stone Walled and Raging Volcano. Replace them with abilities that can Impair like Trial By Swords, Beat Down, Art of War or Eruption. I understand why you went with Steel Palace, for the minor ward buff. I would suggest replacing it with Clearing The Path so you can apply Debilitate faster (assuming you went with 12 gouge as a passive). Replace Aftershock with Razor Shards, it helps to build aggro early in the fight as you can use it pre-fight for the buff. Follow it up with Stones Throw and you have some heavy early hate and a few stacks of debilitate. Using Blade Torrent as a builder is decent for learning the fights, lets you not have to have the boss targeted and lets you run around like a sad and scared monkey (which pisses pubbies and Toshimo right off).

And finally for the aux weapon there are three go to abilities for a tank depending on the situation: Death From Above because a free dash is a good dash, Timber because everyone knows chain saws are Cthulhus' and zombies weakness, and Crack with the Jones in the Fast Lane and the signet that causes the baddie to take more damage. Crack is a bit of a money sink ability and a 1 percenter dps race ability.

So the tl:dr version.
As a tank you want to be able to hold aggro; apply exposed, debilitate and afflict; have enough impairs to avoid insta-kill abilities in Nightmare dungeons.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I got a Ferocious augment in one of my augment bags. So I thought the RNG might be on my side and tried NM Mansion, and got my rear end kicked by the storm, hostile sniper, slow zombies and the bear boss :suicide:

edit: tried NM solo again for Hotel and Mansion. This new patch is kinda bullshit because I still only got green drops for Hotel, but I got another Ferocious augment on the second boss of Mansion so I don't really feel like complaining too much. And I managed Gold first try on Hotel :woop:

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 7, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just for you Zhaan. I coaxed a comment about your loot problem from the devs.

quote:

One of the reasons we didn't criticize the OP's computer was because the issue wasn't strictly caused by low resolution, but by the algorithm that laid out the loot items on-screen. By running a vertical resolution that is (I think) below our minimum spec, the OP helped us to find an issue that could have affected any player if enough loot was displayed.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

HughGRect posted:

Hmmm, couple things seem wrong to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Some of that stuff I was already on the fence on, but I just didn't expect the passives breakdown to be so similar to my solo build. I guess I kinda thought that defensive boosts were a bigger thing than they are.

What would you recommend as a builder after I figure out what the gently caress I'm doing? Since Shoot 'Em Up works off of Frenzy abilities, replace it with Incision and go with Grass Cutter for the Affliction synergy?

\/\/ Noted. \/\/

Remora fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 7, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Remora posted:

What would you recommend as a builder after I figure out what the gently caress I'm doing? Since Shoot 'Em Up works off of Frenzy abilities, replace it with Incision and go with Grass Cutter for the Affliction synergy?

I would keep Blade Torrent + Shoot 'Em Up only because that combo will ensure that the baddies stay afflicted which increases the output of the rest of your team as they should be exploiting that afflicted state with abilities like Iron Maiden. If you did manage to convince someone else to set afflicted (Leech healers I am looking at you and Anticoagulant), then you can use Grass Cutter on single target bosses. But I think the best option is to keep Blade Torrent + Shoot 'Em Up just because it helps with adds, mobility fights, constant affliction and spinning ballerinas of death and destruction are fantastic.

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010
I recently started playing and also seem to have fallen into the 'tank' role in my group of friends. I think I have an okay build after following some of the advice in the thread OP, but am open to any suggestions on how to improve.

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#15v511174572176561113161p512g21530762114g01266

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Len posted:

Just for you Zhaan. I coaxed a comment about your loot problem from the devs.

Ha ha ha.

It also would have been nice to hear from Tech Support that they expected this issue might be fixed in the next patch instead of keeping me on the edge of my seat for four days trying out their solutions.

I also ran TSW in a bunch of resolutions and the issue still continued. I just run it normally in a smaller window since I'm multitasking.

But it's fixed now. Presumably.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Adam500 posted:

I recently started playing and also seem to have fallen into the 'tank' role in my group of friends. I think I have an okay build after following some of the advice in the thread OP, but am open to any suggestions on how to improve.

http://www.tsw-builder.com/#15v511174572176561113161p512g21530762114g01266

You aren't afflicting.

And you are using abilities that key off afflicting.

I'll let you think on that a bit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zhaan posted:

Ha ha ha.

It also would have been nice to hear from Tech Support that they expected this issue might be fixed in the next patch instead of keeping me on the edge of my seat for four days trying out their solutions.

I also ran TSW in a bunch of resolutions and the issue still continued. I just run it normally in a smaller window since I'm multitasking.

But it's fixed now. Presumably.

Meanwhile the pubbies are still adamant on saying they never blamed your computer. They just did nothing but say get a better resolution which sounds to be a LOT like blaming your computer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

Meanwhile the pubbies are still adamant on saying they never blamed your computer. They just did nothing but say get a better resolution which sounds to be a LOT like blaming your computer.

To pubbies, Funcom can do/have done no wrong. Everything bad is your fault.

Really the worst part of the game to me. CoH's fanbase might have been full of idiots, attention whores and suck-ups, but at least they voiced occasional dissent. Granted, they weren't good at figuring out what to be mad about, but at least they had the capacity.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

To pubbies, Funcom can do/have done no wrong. Everything bad is your fault.

Really the worst part of the game to me. CoH's fanbase might have been full of idiots, attention whores and suck-ups, but at least they voiced occasional dissent. Granted, they weren't good at figuring out what to be mad about, but at least they had the capacity.

At least the pubbies are starting to get vocal with their irritation. Cheston actually assumed I had more than one troll account on the forums because of it. The dislike of Funcom being incompetent fucks is beginning to spread.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer
I've been wanting to try this out for a while. Can anyone post or PM me a trial key please?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Yeroc2 posted:

I've been wanting to try this out for a while. Can anyone post or PM me a trial key please?

Sent.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Fine, if anyone else reading this is after one: BPQQDUU3ZZCRFKE2PENJ

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Quick random question, does anyone else have their computer hard lock on scenarios all the loving time? I was hoping that they would have fixed it since they mentioned nixxing several crash bugs (like the sandstorm one which seemed to have got a lot of people).

Mansion and Castle can be all right (though still crashy) but Hotel is guarantee to hard lock on me at least once if not several times during an attempt. General symptoms are that first the screen freezes, then the audio starts stuttering shortly after. Only way out of that is to hit the reset button and then come back to an all survivors are dead screen or to a pissed off coop partner/group.

Bad grind is bad but crashy bad grind is hellish.

On that note, what's the recommended build for scenarios these days? What kind of gear level do you need to be at for the NM ones? I have a full set of purples but I'm a way off from a full 10.4.4 set for DPS let alone Tanking or healing...

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Yep. I have given up, because scenarios consistently crash me. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scenarios, the dynamic end game content that would keep players busy!

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
So uh...is there anyone trying to grind down those Filth dungeons? Or are we waiting for winter?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
^^^^^

Mathematicians answer: Yes

I know I try running it when I can, but we're still at what, 6 1/2 tentacles?
Gonna be bloody forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

alfheimwanderer posted:

So uh...is there anyone trying to grind down those Filth dungeons? Or are we waiting for winter?

Again Funcom created riveting content that players really wanted to run. They've hinted at holding back Tokyo until the players get back to grinding that stupid poo poo.

• Locked thread