Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I got Other M for $5. I got $5 worth of fun out of it.

But back to the Wii U, I remember thinking that ZombiiU being the most interesting title of the Wii launch. How was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

blackguy32 posted:

But back to the Wii U, I remember thinking that ZombiiU being the most interesting title of the Wii launch. How was it?

Average and kinda rough in many spots. But worth a pickup if you can get it for 5-10 bucks.

This is the logic behind ZombiU

You've played worse games than ZombiU, you've also played better.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I got Other M for $5. I got $5 worth of fun out of it.

It's exactly that. Interesting but kind of mediocre.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Louisgod posted:

What is going on with this discussion..? Metroid was NEVER as popular as a very vocal fanbase made it out to be but despite its popularity or lack thereof, the Prime games were fantastic deviations from the Metroid formula that did an unprecedented feat by mimicking the 2D atmosphere of the prior games to the point where it seemed surreal. There's a reason why it received almost perfect scores across the board. Prime 2 was definitely the weakest of the three though.

Considering how niche the prior Metroid games were and how they weren't exactly system sellers, they sold pretty well, all things considered. gently caress Other M, though.

I'd argue that 3 was the weakest.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

3 felt like the most "on rails" Metroid so I liked it the least.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If Nintendo has something to announce at VGX, I hope it's something outside of their building. Like how Bayonetta 2 was a big surprise. Some resurrection of a property that they're willing to bankroll through another developer. Since third parties have given up on them, this could be the only way to go forward.

Doesn't even need to be AAA titles, just ones that attract a feverish fanbase that are obsessed enough to buy a system for that one game. Shenmue 3, Psychonauts 2, Timesplitters, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Okami 2, just something that people go nuts over.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Doesn't even need to be AAA titles, just ones that attract a feverish fanbase that are obsessed enough to buy a system for that one game. Shenmue 3, Psychonauts 2, Timesplitters, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Okami 2, just something that people go nuts over.

Project Diva M :allears:

The M stands for Mario.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

If Nintendo has something to announce at VGX, I hope it's something outside of their building. Like how Bayonetta 2 was a big surprise. Some resurrection of a property that they're willing to bankroll through another developer. Since third parties have given up on them, this could be the only way to go forward.

Yeah, I like this strategy. Can't get third party games on your system?

BUY 'EM

Seriously though, I really do appreciate them picking up Bayonetta 2. I don't feel like the game would have went anywhere, at least for a while, if Nintendo hadn't bankrolled it. It may turn out to be a foolish decision financially, though I hope not.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I have a feeling it will be the fourth Donkey Kong Country character that was already potentially spoiled.

Like at this point in time, given everything else, it just seems the most natural thing to occur.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Champeenship posted:

I have a feeling it will be the fourth Donkey Kong Country character that was already potentially spoiled.

Like at this point in time, given everything else, it just seems the most natural thing to occur.

Boy if thats all they announced at this point....

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Someone a few pages back mentioned the Zelda: WW fiasco. I wanted to bring it back there for a moment.

Windwaker was really the point where I started to feel that Nintendo didn't care about the people who made them who they were. Windwaker came out in '02, a time where many of the kids who grew up with the NES/SNES/N64 evolution were going into college or were just out of college. These were the people who basically were the fans who really loved Nintendo and were the reason why Nintendo existed. Somewhere in my attic is about 10 years worth of NIntendo Power magazine. I remember the previews for SNES, N64 and just eating all that crap up. Heck, I remember getting this special promo video in the mail when the rumble pack was coming out.

I never bought a GameCube as my roomate had one. I remember seeing the promotional for what Windwaker was going to look like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtAvX4Pkyk

Well, you all know what we got. A cartoony piece of poo poo where you spent eleventy hours sailing around. I couldn't even get through the whole game. I'm by no means a graphics snob in any way, but "Toon Link" as he's now been called really solidified that Nintendo was choosing to make a move that it wanted only to be for kids. "Betrayal" would be too :goonsay: a word for it, but I know a lot of people who felt like Nintendo was telling the people who supported it for all those years to piss off. This is not an uncommon opinion, and Nintendo itself expressed confusion over that feeling that fans had.

I wish I could say Z:WW was an isolated incident. But through GameCube and Wii, Nintendo has shown time and again it'd rather just make kid-friendly games. That's perfectly cool! I just realized a long time ago that Sony was going to be much more interested in making games for adults, and they have.

It doesn't help that in the last two generations that Sony and MS are now making entertainment systems as opposed to a gaming system. I don't own a dedicated blu-ray player, I don't own an AppleTV or equivalent. I realize that a lot of "gamers" like keeping 10 different systems/boxes on their TV stand, but I'd rather just buy one thing for the current generation of technology. MS and Sony are letting me do that.

Then again, I'm a "casual gamer", so probably not the demographic anyone cares about. I hate even saying I'm a "casual gamer", because I don't even know what games are coming out outside of TV commercials, and haven't for almost a decade.

EDIT:

ChaseSP posted:

Star Fox for the SNES has Out of this World which is an amazing level.

I completely forgot this existed, and I immediately remembered the pain of having to deal with that loving slot machine just to get...
the credits.

gently caress.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 5, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's something incredibly sad about the fact that something like WW is a "kiddy game." Or on another level that something like God of War or Gears of War is considered 'adult' and therefor superior for being so.

I mean you're honest about what you want but it's just sad to me that 'is colorful' is enough to turn you away from games. Even ignoring Nintendo there are wonderful and amazing games which appeal to all ages. Games like Rayman Legends or Tearaway or indie games like Super Meat Boy or Bastion are absolutely fantastic games for any age group despite being sytalized or cartoony.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 5, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Some resurrection of a property that they're willing to bankroll through another developer.

Wrecking Crew.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Games like The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Pikmin, and Animal Crossing were from an amazing time in Nintendo's history where they were both on the cutting edge of technology, as well as incredibly innovative and experimental. I'd rather have another Zelda game that goes above and beyond our expectations than yet another bland Ocarina of Time sequel.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

JetsGuy posted:

Windwaker was really the point where I started to feel that Nintendo didn't care about the people who made them who they were.

Wind Waker was a really fun game though and one of my favourite Zeldas ever? I would be surprised if any long-time Zelda fan could get to the underwater Hyrule part and say "oh yeah, 100% kiddy game, does nothing for me". That was magnificent and clearly designed to appeal to the people who'd been playing Zelda all their lives.

I was 19 when it came out, too.

If anything, Skyward Sword was when I felt like I wasn't enjoying Zelda anywhere near as much as I used to.

VV I seriously feel like I'm on GameFAQs ten years ago right now.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 5, 2013

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ImpAtom posted:

There's something incredibly sad about the fact that something like WW is a "kiddy game." Or on another level that something like God of War or Gears of War is considered 'adult.'

I suppose calling God of War or CoD etc. "adult" games is overselling it.

I think you get my point though, I think. I said earlier in this thread I would buy the poo poo out of a HD Zelda game made to look "realistic". Especially if it had some kind of "hard" mode or even master quest.

Nintendo seems pretty content though to shoehorn Mario into anything and everything they can.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

I suppose calling God of War or CoD etc. "adult" games is overselling it.

I think you get my point though, I think. I said earlier in this thread I would buy the poo poo out of a HD Zelda game made to look "realistic". Especially if it had some kind of "hard" mode or even master quest.

Nintendo seems pretty content though to shoehorn Mario into anything and everything they can.

I'm pretty sure you're entirely wrong about that being Nintendo's problem considering many of the most popular and profitable games in the world are cartoony as gently caress, and the most successful Nintendo franchises are their lighthearted, colorful and all-ages ones. You certainly want a "realistic" game but that isn't the only marketable type.

I mean you don't like cartoony graphics, and that is fine, but it isn't a betrayal or a refusal to grow up to not be hyper-realistic. Even ignoring Nintendo here, as I mentioned above, there are tons of developers who use cartoony and stylized graphics. A lot of adults are capable (or even more likely to enjoy) bright, colorful and cheerful visuals. That is part of the appeal of things like Pixar.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alteisen posted:

I think the newness of the Prime series wore off a bit by 3 but it was THE game that definitively proved that motion controls in an FPS could function if implemented properly. Honestly going back to Prime 1 and 2 and then going to 3 is just frustrating due to how well the motion controls worked.

Anyway, this isn't too WiiU related so I think we should move on.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

That loving Sned posted:

I'd rather have another Zelda game that goes above and beyond our expectations than yet another bland Ocarina of Time sequel.

LBW was this btw

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Japan sales:

3D World drops to #4, 40k copies sold. Total now 140k.

quote:

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)
3DS LL – 82,409 (63,709)
Wii U – 28,518 (21,002)
3DS – 25,964 (20,797)
PlayStation Vita – 20,202 (21,044)
PlayStation 3 – 13,311 (12,436)
PlayStation Vita TV – 5,391 (7,868)
PSP – 4,232 (3,546)
Wii – 588 (457)

Still holding a decent number there.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Wind Waker was where I started to see chips in the Zelda armor. There was a bunch of poo poo in it that was just annoying to deal with. The sailing was the first one, but I remember being annoyed at having to do that command song every time I wanted to move a drat statue.

But I honestly cannot explain why I stopped playing Twilight Princess. I just felt that it was boring but I cannot pinpoint an exact reason

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Minor improvements for all of Nintendo's hardware. Aside of 3D World, did anything come out there lately, or would this be indicative of a Christmas bump?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If nothing else, Nintendo, please just dial back on the hand holding and let the game challenge me a bit!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

Minor improvements for all of Nintendo's hardware. Aside of 3D World, did anything come out there lately, or would this be indicative of a Christmas bump?

It's probably 3D World word of mouth. Japan doesn't really have a "Black Friday" like the US. It'll likely vanish in the next week or two.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alteisen posted:

Its kinda funny how many DS games exist that would have been so much better without stupid stylus only controls.

I wish that the original DS had an analog stick like the 3DS because there are so many games that decided that the touch screen was a good substitute for analog controls (it isn't.) There are even some games that might be passable of the controls weren't so garbage, like Phantom Hourglass.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

If nothing else, Nintendo, please just dial back on the hand holding and let the game challenge me a bit!

Link Between Worlds takes out almost all of the handholding. They really took the response to Skyward Sword to heart, and that's a good sign for the next console Zelda.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

BattleMaster posted:

I wish that the original DS had an analog stick like the 3DS because there are so many games that decided that the touch screen was a good substitute for analog controls (it isn't.) There are even some games that might be passable of the controls weren't so garbage, like Phantom Hourglass.
The controls in Phantom Hourglass were fantastic, though? That was one of my favorite parts of the game, it felt so intuitive and it almost felt a bit like a throwback to the classic point-and-click adventure games of old :ohdear:

PH was by no means perfect, though. For one, it was far too easy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The controls are what made me give up Phantom Hourglass. It felt like a chore to play and my hand kept getting in the way of the screen when I was playing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

According to them, its a new trailer.

Edit: Yep, their exact wording is "A new look at an upcoming WiiU game", which means a new trailer for one of their already announced games.

http://www.spike.com/vgx/about

You're surprised that they're going to poo poo the bed the one time of the year they have gamers attention?

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 5, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably 3D World word of mouth. Japan doesn't really have a "Black Friday" like the US. It'll likely vanish in the next week or two.

Nah, it's a holiday thing. Nintendo game and console sales always go up in December in Japan for whatever reason. The Wii U should stay at 20k-30k there until the start of January before it drops off again.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 5, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm looking forward to trying A Link Between Worlds once I've got some cash. I started with 3D Zelda games, with The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time included on a bonus disc, and later with the first game in Animal Crossing (using Action Replay), and Majora's Mask coming on another bonus disc. For some reason, I wasn't as fond of A Link to the Past, because it just felt like a more restricted version of Ocarina of Time. For instance, the only thing you can block with your shield is projectiles, and your bow and arrow and hookshot can only be shot in four directions. You only have one slot for items, so you have to keep switching them out constantly, and the weapons aren't as fun to use in combat, or just soak up MP. You'll need magic to solve puzzles, so you have to be really careful about using your best weapons, like the fire rod.

Playing a top down Zelda, especially one that's actually rendered in 3D like the DS and 3DS entries, feels like playing Metal Gear Solid 3 with the old top down camera. The game never felt right until it was brought down and given to you to control. It just feels like I'm observing Link from a distance, rather than actually being right with him, and it can never grasp the same sense of scale that areas like Death Mountain, Forest Haven, or Clock Town had in the 3D games.

This is just how I prefer the games, so I'm not saying that A Link Between Worlds is any worse for being made as a top down game. It's also not an easy thing to change, since the sword combat and item use would need to be completely overhauled. I still really like the original Zelda, as well as The Binding of Isaac, but I think I'd still enjoy A Link to the Past if it played like Ocarina of Time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

According to them, its a new trailer.

Edit: Yep, their exact wording is "A new look at an upcoming WiiU game", which means a new trailer for one of their already announced games.

http://www.spike.com/vgx/about

You're surprised that they're going to poo poo the bed the one time of the year they have gamers attention?
It's gotta be Tropical Freeze then. Considering Nintendo only likes to talk about stuff that's coming out in the next hour and nothing else.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

I'm looking forward to trying A Link Between Worlds once I've got some cash. I started with 3D Zelda games, with The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time included on a bonus disc, and later with the first game in Animal Crossing (using Action Replay), and Majora's Mask coming on another bonus disc. For some reason, I wasn't as fond of A Link to the Past, because it just felt like a more restricted version of Ocarina of Time. For instance, the only thing you can block with your shield is projectiles, and your bow and arrow and hookshot can only be shot in four directions. You only have one slot for items, so you have to keep switching them out constantly, and the weapons aren't as fun to use in combat, or just soak up MP. You'll need magic to solve puzzles, so you have to be really careful about using your best weapons, like the fire rod.

Playing a top down Zelda, especially one that's actually rendered in 3D like the DS and 3DS entries, feels like playing Metal Gear Solid 3 with the old top down camera. The game never felt right until it was brought down and given to you to control. It just feels like I'm observing Link from a distance, rather than actually being right with him, and it can never grasp the same sense of scale that areas like Death Mountain, Forest Haven, or Clock Town had in the 3D games.

This is just how I prefer the games, so I'm not saying that A Link Between Worlds is any worse for being made as a top down game. It's also not an easy thing to change, since the sword combat and item use would need to be completely overhauled. I still really like the original Zelda, as well as The Binding of Isaac, but I think I'd still enjoy A Link to the Past if it played like Ocarina of Time.

This is kind of cool. Its kind of awesome to see how A Link to the Past seems to someone who didn't play it when it was first released.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's gotta be Tropical Freeze then. Considering Nintendo only likes to talk about stuff that's coming out in the next hour and nothing else.

Also, American event, so Nintendo thinks the only thing that will be accepted is American Game made by American Studio.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

This is kind of cool. Its kind of awesome to see how A Link to the Past seems to someone who didn't play it when it was first released.

I played it on the GBA first, although I've gone back and played the SNES version too. It's a shame, since it has so many amazing innovations for the series, so playing it after the games that refined them doesn't really feel fair on it. It's just like Metal Gear 2 on the MSX, which has nearly everything that people give credit to Metal Gear Solid for, including the 4th wall breaking, and a lot of the stealth mechanics, puzzles, and boss fights, but when you go back and play it, it just feels like an 8-bit demake of the game you're used to.

I also think that A Link to the Past and Super Mario World look really dated compared to later SNES games, such as Yoshi's Island and Final Fantasy VI. The dungeons in particular look really samey, using the same tileset for most of them, while each dungeon in the 3D games tends to have a unique atmosphere and music track.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

blackguy32 posted:

In the same way, people who never played the Final Fantasy games before PlayStation tend to not like any before 7.

Which is hilarious to me as 6 is far and away the best. :colbert:

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 5, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

JetsGuy posted:

In the same way, people who never played the Final Fantasy games before PlayStation tend to not like any before 7.

SNES sprite based games hold up a hell of a lot better visually than early 3D games though. At the time 3D worlds were so dazzling and new that they looked amazing, but now in the HD era, not so much.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Would be lovely if it was something like the Mythcial Mario and Sonic platformer, but that would probably never happen now.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

Final Fantasy VII plays a lot like VI, except you can move in eight directions outside of battle, you have a run button (although you can equip the Sprint Shoes, and in the GBA version you get a run button as well, and combining them makes you :rice:), and the world map is actually in 3D. The combat is also limited to three characters rather than four, but the limit break mechanic is much better.

I enjoy both of them a lot, although VI has definitely stood the test of time in regards to its graphics and music. It has a better translation too, but I still enjoy VII's pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D battle graphics despite playing it over a decade after it came out, and the clunky character models do have some charm to them. Both games play so similarly that I don't think there's as much of a gap between the 2D and 3D games as Zelda or Metal Gear.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Would be lovely if it was something like the Mythcial Mario and Sonic platformer, but that would probably never happen now.

The level design in the Mario and Sonic games is so different that they'd either need to swap between them, Sonic Generations style, or try an compromise so you could have co-op. Maybe Sonic with Tails, and Mario and Luigi using their Superstar Saga co-op abilities.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

The level design in the Mario and Sonic games is so different that they'd either need to swap between them, Sonic Generations style, or try an compromise so you could have co-op. Maybe Sonic with Tails, and Mario and Luigi using their Superstar Saga co-op abilities.

This was pretty much what I was thinking.

Mario does his part of the level on the TV and the other dude controls sonic on the tablet screen or vice cersa. Just have the Co-Op levels be different from the single player mode.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 5, 2013

• Locked thread