Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

SB35 posted:

Huh. I'll have to check it out next time I go to the mall. Looking forward to the Nook ST Glow $40 blow out sales in the near future. Christmas eReaders for EVERYONE!
You almost called it. No word on the ST Glow going on sale unfortunately, but rumor has it the Simple Touch is going to be $39 as one of the B&N Black Friday sales.

Looks like the ST Glow was on sale for $49 last Friday, but I missed that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Walmart has the Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight for $50 right now

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
BN.com has em as well.

Regular one's on sale for 39$, Glowlight is 49$.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Amazon has a shitload of kindle books on sale for Cyber Monday:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_2...385998804&ajr=2

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Kobo (US) has many of the same offers: http://kobo.com/cybermonday?style=onestore

Also you can use the code 50dec on a lot of them to get further 50% off.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

In for The Prince of Tides. Grew up in SC and never read this. A crime, I tell you. Thanks for the heads-up! The professional narration is only .99 as well - and includes whisper voice sync. Not bad.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This explains the rumor about the upcoming paperwhite having glass screen.

quote:

That Kindle Paperwhite is pretty thin and light already, but future e-readers could be even skinnier thanks to a new screen technology from E Ink known as Fina. The tech uses a super thin glass substrate that'll supposedly result in displays that measure less than 50 percent in both thickness and weight when compared to "an equivalent glass-based TFT." According to a released statement, this makes Fina ideal for large tablets that also need to be lightweight, which is exactly why it was implemented in the PocketBook CAD Reader, a new 13.3-inch device that's also the first to use Fina. The slate has a dual-core 1GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage space and it runs Android 4.0.4. Of course, we wouldn't expect to pick this up at Best Buy any time soon, as it's primarily meant for displaying drawings from Autocad. Indeed, PocketBook even said it's made to be used on construction sites, not by everyday consumers. Still, we wonder if Fina's arrival means we'll see larger format e-readers in the future, especially for all those DX lovers out there. In the meantime, check out the source link below for more details on E Ink's latest innovation.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/02/e-ink-fina/?ncid=rss_truncated

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Call Me Charlie posted:

This explains the rumor about the upcoming paperwhite having glass screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/02/e-ink-fina/?ncid=rss_truncated

So we might not see a new Kindle Paperwhite next year? Or is it still up in the air?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So we might not see a new Kindle Paperwhite next year? Or is it still up in the air?

Rumor is early Q2 of next year for a 300 ppi Paperwhite in a Fire HDX style body with a flat glass screen and squeezable buttons at the edge with haptic feedback when activated

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Rumor is early Q2 of next year for a 300 ppi Paperwhite in a Fire HDX style body with a flat glass screen and squeezable buttons at the edge with haptic feedback when activated

I read the article wrong - thought it implied the new screen tech isn't designed for consumers.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, I have a 1st Gen Paperwhite and a weird new issue. Until a few weeks ago, it was always in the official Amazon case for it. Nice case, but I wanted to slim it down so I popped it out. I thought the only way the screen should come on on an uncased Paperwhite is via the power button at the bottom? Because this thing likes to randomly wake up just by being picked up, having something like my keys set down next to it... it's not so much a PROBLEM per se as it is damned annoying. Anybody else having this happen?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

smr posted:

So, I have a 1st Gen Paperwhite and a weird new issue. Until a few weeks ago, it was always in the official Amazon case for it. Nice case, but I wanted to slim it down so I popped it out. I thought the only way the screen should come on on an uncased Paperwhite is via the power button at the bottom? Because this thing likes to randomly wake up just by being picked up, having something like my keys set down next to it... it's not so much a PROBLEM per se as it is damned annoying. Anybody else having this happen?

I believe there are sleep/wake magnets in the Paperwhite, like the iPad.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nihiliste posted:

I believe there are sleep/wake magnets in the Paperwhite, like the iPad.

You are correct. Since I'm bored and have both a paperwhite and magnets within reach, here's a quick demo of the sensor in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdKtzLl9Ge8

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How much better is the new Paperwhite than the original? My BX here has the 3G Paperwhite on sale, and I was thinking about getting it as an upgrade from my Third Gen Kindle Keyboard, but if the new version is much better I'll just order it and lose out on instant gratification.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Devorum posted:

How much better is the new Paperwhite than the original? My BX here has the 3G Paperwhite on sale, and I was thinking about getting it as an upgrade from my Third Gen Kindle Keyboard, but if the new version is much better I'll just order it and lose out on instant gratification.

Depends what you mean by on sale. But if it has issues it's easy to deal with Amazon for returns.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Devorum posted:

I don't think the second gen is worth paying more for. The front light is better, but that really depends on the specific OG Paperwhite you're talking about--some of them had really bad frontlights, but some of them were fine.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Dice Dice Baby posted:

I too, liked what I've been reading about the Kobo Aura HD

How's embedded font rendering? I love me embedded fonts

Hmmm... what do you mean by embedded fonts? Do you mean for PDFs?

For what it's worth... you can side-load any font that you want. Like ANY font. I fiddled around with a bunch before I settled on Scala, and there's a plugin for calibre that lets you re-format regular epubs into Kobo's kepub format (which includes reading stats + stuff) along with converting to whatever font + format you want on your device. So if you have a handful of fonts you like, you can load them onto the Kobo when you go it and use them at your leisure.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SB35 posted:

Depends what you mean by on sale. But if it has issues it's easy to deal with Amazon for returns.

It's $150, which is only a $30 difference. The main reason I'm considering it is instant gratification. I could order the second gen Paperwhite from Amazon, but it'd take weeks to get here with the holiday mail rush.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, my Kindle Paperwhite Mark II just updated and now whenever I add a personal document to a collection I get an annoying message informing me that it won't be synced to the cloud. I suppose there's nothing I can do to get rid of it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Been looking to get my wife a new Paperwhite on sale for a Christmas gift but it doesn't seem like there are going to be any deals. I know that no one here is a sightseer, but do you think that there is a possibility of a price drop for a last minute holiday gift?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do Kindles ever go on sale?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

smackfu posted:

Do Kindles ever go on sale?

Kindles don't often go on sale through Amazon. They do get cheaper with coupons and sales at Best Buy, Office Max, etc. Lately the Nook ST and lighted ST units have been on sale quite a bit. But I know that's not a Kindle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Regular kindles have been on sale at amazon a few times this season, but nothing on the paperwhites.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for the info, I'll just go ahead and pay full retail.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for the info, I'll just go ahead and pay full retail.

Refurbished is always an option. I own two refurbished kindles (3 and 4) and they have worked great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any chance we could get ereaderiq.com added to the OP? Excellent site and this past few weeks I've had about 20 notifications for price drops of 20% +.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Does anyone know right off the top of their head if the tmobile free data thing will work with a first generation 3g nook? I happen to have one of those kicking around, and nothing else to use the free data on, so.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Regular kindles have been on sale at amazon a few times this season, but nothing on the paperwhites.

Yeah, they had the regular Kindle for $20 off at $49 a couple of days ago. I was tempted but I think I'll get the Paperwhite and if I don't like the touch controls I'll swap it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So this seems to be the best thread to ask this in. I'm looking at getting a Kindle HDX, what with Amazon's payment plan option going until Christmas eve at midnight effectively, but can not decide between the hdx 7 or 8.9.
I am struggling to find any differences, outside of slightly larger size, between the 2. I've read the 8.9 is slightly faster.
Am I looking at spending an extra 75% for a extra 25% screen or is there more to it?

Would appreciate anyone who could comment on any other differences or if they have a preference for one over the other. I mainly plan to just read and use my Prime to watch shows/movies while bored

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tech.woot.com has the kindle touch for 54.99 today.

Regarding the Kindle Fire questions, there's a table on this page that shows the main differences between all of em.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHJRYYS/ref=fs_ta

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I couldn't find a kindle specific thread to ask this in.

I asked for a kindle Paperwhite for Christmas, and it turns out that my girlfriend had already bought me the Kindle Fire HD. I am thinking I will return it and order the Paperwhite, but was wondering what people's opinions of the two devices are. I am primarily looking for an ereader with a backlight, so I am mostly concerned with how the Fire works/feels as an ereader. I have an aging IPad 2 that works as an ereader, but I want something that is lighter for reading in bed. And provided that the Fire is a decent ereader, how does it stack up as a tablet. I get the impression that it is not a very good one from the tablet thread.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have the Gen1 versions of both the Paperwhite and Fire. The PW is by far the better reading device.

The Fire was a good tablet for the price, and better when I ditched Amazon's stock crap for a proper Android environment. Supposedly the later models kept basically the same mix, good hardware for the price but heavily optimized for gaming and/or media consumption. If you want a tablet for work, maybe look at something else, but if you want one to watch videos or play games they're very nice. The only major complaint I have about mine is the lack of hardware volume buttons, but that was resolved in the later models.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Orvin posted:

I couldn't find a kindle specific thread to ask this in.

I asked for a kindle Paperwhite for Christmas, and it turns out that my girlfriend had already bought me the Kindle Fire HD. I am thinking I will return it and order the Paperwhite, but was wondering what people's opinions of the two devices are. I am primarily looking for an ereader with a backlight, so I am mostly concerned with how the Fire works/feels as an ereader. I have an aging IPad 2 that works as an ereader, but I want something that is lighter for reading in bed. And provided that the Fire is a decent ereader, how does it stack up as a tablet. I get the impression that it is not a very good one from the tablet thread.

The main thing is the Kindle Fire app store isn't great, and really having to root and install a stock android mod to have the device work best is just silly at this point. Plus personally reading on any eInk screen will always be better than LCD.

I would get the Kindle for reading, and if you end up wanting a new tablet (I use an iPad 2 and it still holds its own very well), getting a newer iPad or the Nexus 7 would be better than the Fire anyway.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

After a couple of days use, Paperwhite is pretty great. The touch page turn isn't that bad, except in one case. If you are holding with your left hand, you have to reach across the page to go to the next page since that area is on the right. Old Kindle had a next page button on the left side too. It's also a little heavier. And the light can be a little funky since it's bluer than our house lighting, so if you shade the screen with your hand, it's oddly blue.

Overall though, I'm glad I went with it. But if money was a concern, I would have been perfectly happy with a $59 Kindle.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

smackfu posted:

After a couple of days use, Paperwhite is pretty great. The touch page turn isn't that bad, except in one case. If you are holding with your left hand, you have to reach across the page to go to the next page since that area is on the right. Old Kindle had a next page button on the left side too. It's also a little heavier. And the light can be a little funky since it's bluer than our house lighting, so if you shade the screen with your hand, it's oddly blue.

Overall though, I'm glad I went with it. But if money was a concern, I would have been perfectly happy with a $59 Kindle.

You can swipe on any part of the screen to turn the page.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

poo poo. I wish I knew about this.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
What are peoples thoughts between the Nook Simple Touch vs the Kobo Touch?

I got the Nook when it was discounted to £30 and now The Kobo is down to £30 as well.

Is the Kobo better than the Nook and if so is it worth the upgrade (I could sell the Nook for £20)

(I havn't bought any B&N books so i don't have any vendor lock in)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks! I immediately deleted the manual off the Kindle when I started up, then realized it might have actually useful info in it this time. Oops.

I've noticed that swiping on an e-ink Kindle feels very unnatural, since there is no feedback like on a typical touch screen. So you just hope it registers as a swipe and not a touch.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

smackfu posted:

Thanks! I immediately deleted the manual off the Kindle when I started up, then realized it might have actually useful info in it this time. Oops.

It's always redownloadable like purchased books if you need it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Install Windows posted:

It's always redownloadable like purchased books if you need it again.

Interesting, somehow I deleted it so it wasn't even listed in the Cloud section. I had to use the website to resend it.

Also, the manual seems to be missing some stuff. Like how you can tap in the bottom left (to change the page number displayde) or top right (to add a bookmark.)