Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Ted Turner's been a critic of CNN's slide toward infotainment ever since he left.

Really? I didn't know that always just sort of assumed he was Wolf Blitzer in disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

CNN is that kind of awful that you find in people who seem super-friendly, but that you suspect would secretly relish the chance to be a part of a death squad.

Just more white panic.

Reports: Alleged trend of 'knockout game' a myth

quote:

Some news organizations are refuting the existence of an alleged phenomenon known as the "knockout game" that has been the subject of media warnings in recent weeks.

According to reports by CNN, the Today show, USA TODAY and others, the game takes place when young people randomly assault strangers in an attempt to knock them out with one punch.

But police officials in several cities where the attacks have been reported say the knockout game is an urban myth, and that attacks that have received recent attention in the media have been random assaults, the New York Times is reporting.

I wish they'd been more clear in the article...media reports of a game involving random assaults are being refuted by police who say no, these are merely random assaults?

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

We all know CNN has been floundering lately, and Zucker thinks he has the solution: Less news, more 'shows' and 'attitude':

I almost can't blame them for this. They've been really lovely at the 'news' part of their business lately, and Anthony Bourdain's cooking/travel show has been their #1 product.

Still, it's pretty sad to compare 80s/early 90s CNN with what it's become lately. As much as they deny it, they're competing with Fox in a race to the bottom.

They really are getting worse and worse; meanwhile Bourdain is raking in their cash while taking the piss out of CNN on-air.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: [The Democrats] destroy people's families. They destroy people's lives. I have a story -- I didn't have a chance to get to it -- about the obesity in this country. There's a story today that most of the childhood obesity is minority, African-American, and this story links it to food stamps, which makes total sense. We have nearly 40, 49 million Americans on food stamps, and they can buy whatever they want with it.

The Democrat Party has made everybody they can think that they're victims, which makes them entitled, which makes them feel like they're owed something, because they've been victimized, in most part, by this evil country, and its evil past or whatever. Even the food stamp program -- designed in compassion, designed to assist the starving, designed to assist our fellow citizens in need -- is now contributing (I believe it, by the way) to a rampant epidemic of obesity in the minority community.

There's no question about it. Liberalism divides, damages, destroys. There isn't any real compassion in it. All there is is a phony message of compassion, and I'm sure that's why your wife is finding it more difficult to cross the aisle. She's falling for the emotional play. It's a Washington Times story: "Obama's Obesity Epidemic -- More Food Stamps Mean Fatter Kids." I just to show you I wasn't making it up.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/12/03/lifelong_democrat_confronts_reality
That is just so wrong. Like, demonstrably so. Then he tops it off with straight up saying that food stamps is the reason for obesity in minority communities. Hello? It is a national problem that isn't restricted by race or ethnicity. And that ironically even includes his very own fat rear end.

But why stop there? Let's see the article Limbaugh is referencing since he was so kind to provide us with the title

A man literally arguing for children to starve posted:

In 2010, President Obama swayed Congress to enact the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. Thanks to this law, far more free breakfasts and lunches are being given to schoolchildren, regardless of their family’s income levels.
While politicians tout such programs to prove their benevolence, school meals have long subverted children’s health. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) has lambasted the federal school lunch program for 35 years for its high fat and poor nutrient content. A University of Michigan study published in 2010 found that students who regularly eat school lunches are 29 percent more likely to be overweight, and that consumption of school lunches is the strongest single predictor of childhood obesity.
School breakfasts have long been renowned for doughnuts, chocolate milk and other sugar bombs. Parents in Houston, Las Vegas and elsewhere have been outraged that there is no opt-out provision to block schools from giving kids a second breakfast after their child has been fed at home. New York City in 2012 suspended expansion of its Breakfast in the Classrooms after discovering that 20 percent of pupils were eating two breakfasts — one at home and another at school.
Congress has enacted numerous laws commanding the Agriculture Department and schools to serve healthier meals, most recently in 2010. As in the past, though, such reforms are policy wonks’ pipe dreams. The GAO reported in June that the latest federal lunch standards are “making it difficult for some schools to meet minimum calorie requirements for lunches without adding items, such as gelatin, that generally do not improve the nutritional quality of lunches.” In almost half the districts the GAO visited, schools added “pudding to certain high-school menus to bring the menus into compliance with the calorie minimum.” Such menus help explain why the rate of diabetes and prediabetes has more than doubled among American teenagers since 1999.
Mr. Obama certainly has no intent to worsen the obesity epidemic, yet he has championed the expansion of federal programs that undermine tens of millions of Americans’ diets. Unfortunately, politicians can reap applause for fighting hunger regardless of the collateral damage that food programs inflict. Children may one day recognize those free school breakfasts and lunches as the worst bargain they ever received.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/2/bovard-obamas-obesity-epidemic/
I can definitely agree with the critique of the school lunch menus, which is kind of Michelle Obama's whole point in the first place, but this guy uses it to further argument that we need to get rid of food stamps. Even though Congress already cut funding to them over the next 10 years. This happened only one goddamn month ago, nevermind the whole obesity and socioeconomics angle. Just another willful dismissal of reality that Rush is notorious for.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, Fox and Friends has uncovered the latest terror plot: a one hour a week swim class for Muslim girls age 5-17 in Minneapolis.

Oh please do keep watching, Fox! Stay vigilant! Today the Minneapolis YMCA pool, tomorrow they're swimming up the Potomac to strike at the heart of our Democracy.

Never mind that we have one of the largest Muslim populations per capita in the US and that many of them live around that YMCA, you loving hacks.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

beatlegs posted:

I wish they'd been more clear in the article...media reports of a game involving random assaults are being refuted by police who say no, these are merely random assaults?

Pretty much, it's just pissed/drugged idiots sucker punching a random passerby because they are aggro or just plain wankers. It happens all the time everywhere.

The media are trying to make it a thing were the random assaults are part of a game by a group of people involving 'organised' random assaults. Its pure bullshit fearmongering.

E: It's also worth noting how this stuff is reported. Here you hear about a 'random one punch assault!!!!!' then, when you read the incident report, it turns out that while the guy certainly was randomly decked his wallet, phone and jewelry was stolen too. Basically, an old fashioned robbery reported as a 'random one punch assault you could be next!!!!!'.

T.Worth fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 4, 2013

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

T.Worth posted:

Pretty much, it's just pissed/drugged idiots sucker punching a random passerby because they are aggro or just plain wankers. It happens all the time everywhere.

The media are trying to make it a thing were the random assaults are part of a game by a group of people involving 'organised' random assaults. Its pure bullshit fearmongering.

E: It's also worth noting how this stuff is reported. Here you hear about a 'random one punch assault!!!!!' then, when you read the incident report, it turns out that while the guy certainly was randomly decked his wallet, phone and jewelry was stolen too. Basically, an old fashioned robbery reported as a 'random one punch assault you could be next!!!!!'.

Wasn't this kind of thing big in the UK a decade ago with poor white urban youths (aka chavs) called "happy slapping"?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Wasn't this kind of thing big in the UK a decade ago with poor white urban youths (aka chavs) called "happy slapping"?

CSI did a dramatic episode about it starring Kevin Federline in 2007/8.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

I think that was a thing in the same way this is. Which is to say that it basically isn't aside from being similarly the moral panic du jour.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

kik2dagroin posted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2013/12/03/lifelong_democrat_confronts_reality
That is just so wrong. Like, demonstrably so. Then he tops it off with straight up saying that food stamps is the reason for obesity in minority communities. Hello? It is a national problem that isn't restricted by race or ethnicity. And that ironically even includes his very own fat rear end.

But why stop there? Let's see the article Limbaugh is referencing since he was so kind to provide us with the title

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/2/bovard-obamas-obesity-epidemic/
I can definitely agree with the critique of the school lunch menus, which is kind of Michelle Obama's whole point in the first place, but this guy uses it to further argument that we need to get rid of food stamps. Even though Congress already cut funding to them over the next 10 years. This happened only one goddamn month ago, nevermind the whole obesity and socioeconomics angle. Just another willful dismissal of reality that Rush is notorious for.

Hunger can be a positive motivator :unsmigghh:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Aren't situations like these self-fulfilling prophecies? Like, there are always some young men running around punching people, but once it starts getting blasted on the news worldwide, you start seeing copycats and it actually becomes the problem the media said it was in the first place?

ReidRansom posted:

I think that was a thing in the same way this is. Which is to say that it basically isn't aside from being similarly the moral panic du jour.

Like the satanic panic back in the day, where you had like a thousand people nationwide at the most before the media got ahold of it, but then interest in D&D shot through the roof! Or not and a few teenagers thought it would be funny to freak out their parents after seeing the news crow about how scary all this was.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

beatlegs posted:

People who are interested in actual, factual news don't seek it from TV cable channels. It's absurd for any cable channel to presume to be "news" anyway. In this climate any media entity bound by ratings simply cannot report the facts like old traditional journalism did because facts actually do take sides these days, and profit-driven TV journalism simply refuses to take sides.

Al Jazeera America is pretty loving awesome though.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I travel and stay in hotels a lot for work; recently I've noticed a sharp uptick in the frequency of people coming into the breakfast area and shouting about how the staff NEED TO COME OVER AND GET THIS TV CHANGED TO THE FOX NEWS PLEASE. HNNHH. Has there been some kind of "make sure you get fairness and balance with your continental breakfast!" campaign going on, or is it just my luck?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

beatlegs posted:

People who are interested in actual, factual news don't seek it from TV cable channels. It's absurd for any cable channel to presume to be "news" anyway. In this climate any media entity bound by ratings simply cannot report the facts like old traditional journalism did because facts actually do take sides these days, and profit-driven TV journalism simply refuses to take sides.

Facts have always taken sides and journalism in America has always been beholden to its profit seeking owners.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Solkanar512 posted:

Al Jazeera America is pretty loving awesome though.

I worked with an Israeli-American coworker at a major cable company awhile back. Whenever we had meetings about how our channel lineup stacked up against our competitors, I always mentioned we should carry AJE just to watch her fume.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

Sir Tonk posted:

Aren't situations like these self-fulfilling prophecies? Like, there are always some young men running around punching people, but once it starts getting blasted on the news worldwide, you start seeing copycats and it actually becomes the problem the media said it was in the first place?

Like the satanic panic back in the day, where you had like a thousand people nationwide at the most before the media got ahold of it, but then interest in D&D shot through the roof! Or not and a few teenagers thought it would be funny to freak out their parents after seeing the news crow about how scary all this was.

You have hit the nail on the head mate.

Individuals of lower socio-economic status are far more likely to randomly assault individuals they perceive to be of higher socio-economic status with the intent or relieving them of their gear.

This poo poo happens. The problem is when the reason they go after people of higher socio-economic status is ignored, it looks like they are randomly assaulting people.

They are trying to rob people, making anything more of that is just the right wing way of ignoring social inequality and turning it into a situation where individuals of lower socioeconomic status are randomly assaulting your wife because they love assaulting people.

It is an easy way of ignoring inherent social issues and demonising the individuals who are acting outside of a simplistic worldview.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CNN should air Adam Curtis documentaries.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

beatlegs posted:

I dunno, you could do a lot worse than TiVo'ing Al Jazeera on that international channel. They've done a really great job with traditional investigative journalism. They can't go as in-depth as their online reporting but it's still the same organization.

I haven't watched AJA but if I wanted to watch some TV news I always found AJ English to be very informative on topics that just didn't show up on domestic news.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 4, 2013

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Martin Bashir has resigned from MSNBC following his suggestion that someone should take a poo poo in Sarah Palin's mouth.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

skaboomizzy posted:

Martin Bashir has resigned from MSNBC following his suggestion that someone should take a poo poo in Sarah Palin's mouth.

That was pretty gauche.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

skaboomizzy posted:

I see the rest of the infotainment sector still doesn't understand why Fox News is the most popular.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I realize that it's a totally unfair double standard that Rush Limbaugh keeps his job while Bashir loses his, but Martin Bashir loving sucks and always has.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
To be fair though, he wasn't wrong.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

MisterBadIdea posted:

I realize that it's a totally unfair double standard that Rush Limbaugh keeps his job while Bashir loses his, but Martin Bashir loving sucks and always has.

Bashir also apologized immediately after making the comment. Did Limbaugh ever apologize for calling Fluke a slut? (serious q, I can't remember)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

beatlegs posted:

Bashir also apologized immediately after making the comment. Did Limbaugh ever apologize for calling Fluke a slut? (serious q, I can't remember)

"My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

"My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke if she was somehow offended by my choice of words."

FTFY.

Also, I don't think anyone on the Fox News side of the fence had ever even heard of Bashir until he insulted Palin. He decides to quit right after he made a name for himself among mainstream news outlets.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

"My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."

So he doesn't say she isn't a slut, just that he used the wrong word to describe her sluttiness. Un-loving-believable.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

cafel posted:

So he doesn't say she isn't a slut, just that he used the wrong word to describe her sluttiness. Un-loving-believable.

Plus...it's a joke, I'm an entertainer people! :shrug:

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

MisterBadIdea posted:

The only thing I knew about Martin Bashir is that he made a movie / documentary / expose about Michael Jackson a few years ago.

And sorry, but the left-wing version of right-wing radio doesn't work. The right-wing approach is fundamentally rooted in the revenge and hate-for-one's-enemy mentality that conservatives tend to espouse in larger proportions.

For the same reason that left is not right, that approach simply doesn't work for left-wingers.

So while we might joke about someone taking a poo poo in Sarah Palin's mouth, we don't actually mean it. I feel fairly sure that most of Rush's followers were fully on board with the idea that Sandra Fluke was a slutbag who was just out to get free meds so she could have a 24/7 diet of cock and unsafe sex.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Left wing radio could work, but it will never exist because there is no money in it.

E: By could work I mean that a parallel universe Rush could scream about the 1% and regressives just as well as he can scream about poors and blacks.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 5, 2013

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Left wingers have better things to do than cling to their radios.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I imagine they all podcast.

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011

Walter posted:

I feel fas wellly sure that most of Rush's followers were fully on board with the idea that Sandra Fluke was a slutbag who was just out to get free meds so she could have a 24/7 diet of cock and unsafe sex.

I followed the Sandra Fluke facebook page as well as the page of Rush's sponsors who pulled out after the incident and yes, thats exactly what they believed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Miltank posted:

Left wing radio could work, but it will never exist

It existed for six years.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It stills exists, at least in some areas.

KTLK in the Los Angeles area for example. It used to be part of Air America, but now it's owned by Clear Channel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

It existed for six years.

First its Godless radio, then its Godless television, how long till we're a Godless country :argh:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well if its popular who are we to disagree? Maybe the free market should decide on whether there's a God or not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Nozzle posted:

Well if its popular who are we to disagree? Maybe the free market should decide on whether there's a God or not.

Well, to be fair, they only want the government out of their churches and bedrooms, they are perfectly okay with them being in other peoples.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

The thing with Bashir is that he just took it one or two sentences too far and spelled it out too explicitly.

He was going off on Palin comparing Obamacare or the debt or whatever she was pissed off about that day to slavery, so he read some excerpts about what slaves actually went through in America. The last bit about "hey, maybe somebody should poo poo in her mouth so she knows what slavery really was all about" is what got him in hot water. If he'd just left that implied, he'd probably have been fine.

It's too bad, I actually liked his MSNBC show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Bashir is a shameless, cake-eating hitman. He can never leave obvious slams on the table.