Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I know I keep sort of dropping one-note questions in here then running off, but are there any good sources/interesting factoids on Britain's involvement in Korea, or that of other members of the UN coalition aside from the US? A lot of stuff that comes up on Google makes it look like MacArthur did almost literally everything, and while the Incheon landing was impressive as hell I've been hoping to read up on what other countries did in the fighting.

(This is aside from the story of the yanks who got a bunch of Brits killed by misunderstanding British understatement.)

Falukorv posted:

On a display case nearby they also show the penetration of bullets in wood, soap and metal. Put's the Hollywood myth of hiding in cars and behind tables to rest.

From a couple pages ago, but is there anything that is useful cover against a good bullet? It seems like any round worth firing will go through effectively anything to get at you.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

I know I keep sort of dropping one-note questions in here then running off, but are there any good sources/interesting factoids on Britain's involvement in Korea, or that of other members of the UN coalition aside from the US? A lot of stuff that comes up on Google makes it look like MacArthur did almost literally everything, and while the Incheon landing was impressive as hell I've been hoping to read up on what other countries did in the fighting.

(This is aside from the story of the yanks who got a bunch of Brits killed by misunderstanding British understatement.)

From a couple pages ago, but is there anything that is useful cover against a good bullet? It seems like any round worth firing will go through effectively anything to get at you.

Tanks work pretty well.

Also Hasting's The Korean War goes into detail on the British in Korea.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Flesnolk posted:

Lots of stuff. The question you're asking is more "what gives good cover, but leaves good visibility AND is either easily moved around or found on the battlefield?" though.

The answer to that question is: dirt, and stuff to put dirt in.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Also Hasting's The Korean War goes into detail on the British in Korea.

Thanks, I'll check it out! I've been interested in their role in Korea for a while but hadn't had much luck.

Arquinsiel posted:

The answer to that question is: dirt, and stuff to put dirt in.

Why dirt? I've heard sandbags are good for fortifying a position but it's always seemed to me that if I fired a rifle at say, a boxing heavy bag, it'd just go through. And on a similar note, how is modern armour not pointless? It seems like anything beefier than a handgun round turns it into a false sense of security.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 4, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's about increasing the duration of the impact, so the soft bag moves inwards with the bullet and then the sand slowly shuffles out of the way rather than presenting a target to crack while staying in contact with the projectile the whole time until it has fully passed and thus drawing energy away from it and pushing it out into the surrounding material. People who have a better grounding in physics than I do will explain it better, but it's basically the same principle as trying to shoot through lots of phone books in a line. Eventually, way before max effective range, sheer friction will stop the bullet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Flesnolk posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out! I've been interested in their role in Korea for a while but hadn't had much luck.

Why dirt? I've heard sandbags are good for fortifying a position but it's always seemed to me that if I fired a rifle at say, a boxing heavy bag, it'd just go through. And on a similar note, how is modern armour not pointless? It seems like anything beefier than a handgun round turns it into a false sense of security.

Someone else can explain the physics of why but densely packed dirt stops small arms dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiY80JgB26Q&t=127s

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Flesnolk posted:

Dirt is good because it is all around you all the time. You can dig in it. You can put it in a bag.

Modern armor isn't pointless because it stops bullets and fragmentation. There are a variety of levels of protection offered by ballistic armor. The real killer in Iraq/Afghanistan is IEDs and amputation of limbs due to the blast. Body armor is effective at protecting the torso against shrapnel(although, the insurgency in Afghanistan has moved away from using any metal due to our ability to detect it) but not very good at preventing an IED from tearing off a limb.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Military grade body armour (with ballistic plate inserts) can stop AK rounds.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 4, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Well I have no idea why I thought it was useless, then. Perhaps I was thinking of police armour, or reports I remember of soldiers being killed by small arms fire despite the armour? Thanks!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Re: Sandbags, also worth checking out is:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7.htm

Basically, sand seems to function with military rifles by causing the rounds to fragment. Basically the bullet going through the sandbag is effectively sandblasted into uselessness.

Water will also function well at stopping bullets.

Sufficiently thick metal will work. (A car door is just not sufficiently thick.) The rule of thumb, IIRC, is that the metal, if of equivalent hardness to your bullet, needs to be about as thick as the bullet is long.

quote:

Well I have no idea why I thought it was useless, then. Perhaps I was thinking of police armour, or reports I remember of soldiers being killed by small arms fire despite the armour? Thanks!

Yes, police armour is generally less effective. Also, Vietnam/WWII grade armour is much less good too - the 'flak jack' is basically only designed for shrapnel.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Dirt is good because it is all around you all the time. You can dig in it. You can put it in a bag.
When in doubt, you clearly need more.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Regarding montys slowness if you see the pursuit after alamein he pursues with the 8th army in a rapid advance. But the germans get their rearguard on, but they started running and didnt stop til they reached tunisia.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On a broader WW2 note, why did the germans just...not give up? It seems that when the advantage is so overwhelming and you're being pressed from both sides, why not just surrender unconditionally to the western allies so the soviets don't end up with half your country? Why bother fighting right to the very end?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

Basically, sand seems to function with military rifles by causing the rounds to fragment. Basically the bullet going through the sandbag is effectively sandblasted into uselessness.

Water will also function well at stopping bullets.

Sufficiently thick metal will work. (A car door is just not sufficiently thick.) The rule of thumb, IIRC, is that the metal, if of equivalent hardness to your bullet, needs to be about as thick as the bullet is long.

Probably my last thing on this 'cause it's getting closer to TFR talk, but does this work the same way for stuff like stone and concrete (say in an urban setting) or is your typical building material not hard/thick enough to stop a good round?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Slavvy posted:

On a broader WW2 note, why did the germans just...not give up? It seems that when the advantage is so overwhelming and you're being pressed from both sides, why not just surrender unconditionally to the western allies so the soviets don't end up with half your country? Why bother fighting right to the very end?

As it happens, this wasn't an idea that went totally unnoticed: Himmler tried to open negotiations with the Allies on his own initiative with the intent of forming a united front against the USSR. Hitler found out about it and promptly ordered him executed, and we probably don't need to talk about why Hitler didn't feel like surrendering to the Allies. Unsurprisingly, the Allies were uninterested in a full-scale war with the USSR and declined to go into detail with Himmler anyways.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Flesnolk posted:

Dirt is cheaper than steel. Isaac Newton figured out a simple way to approximate how deeply a bullet will penetrate a target - find the ratio of the bullet's weight to the target, and multiply that by the bullet's length. The speed of the bullet doesn't matter. Lead is 7 times denser than dry sand, so 21 centimetres of sand will stop a 7.62 NATO round (3 centimetres long). You can stop that bullet with only 4.5 centimetres of steel, but surrounding your base with a 4.5 centimetre thick steel wall is much more expensive than surrounding it with sandbags.

Note that Newton's approximation doesn't work with fabric, which explains kevlar's unusual defensive properties. Lastly, remember that armour can stop a bullet but it won't stop the energy - being shot in a bulletproof vest is like being hit with a blunt weapon.

Flesnolk posted:

Probably my last thing on this 'cause it's getting closer to TFR talk, but does this work the same way for stuff like stone and concrete (say in an urban setting) or is your typical building material not hard/thick enough to stop a good round?

Cotton candy can stop a bullet provided there's enough of it. 14 centimetres of concrete will stop a 7.62 bullet.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 4, 2013

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Flesnolk posted:

During OIF there was media cry over the fact that US soldiers were not provided with the best ballistic vests on the market, so many soldiers opted for spending their own moneys to protect themselves. You might be thinking of that one. There's always been ways of stopping bullets, but until recently they've either been too wieldy for infantry (steel plates) or too costly to equip an entire army with. Fortunately though infantry tends to suffer casualties more often from artillery and mortars than bullets, and even a steel helmet goes a long way in elongating a grunt's expected lifespan even if it's not bullet proof.

Eg. I think my favourite form of bullet proof vest is the Victorian version consisting of multiple layers of silk. It worked! But as you might imagine, it cost a fortune and was out of reach of an ordinary infantryman and was mainly used by statesmen. For instance, a certain Archduke of Austria wore such a vest on his trip to Sarajevo. Unfortunately he was shot in the neck.

Flesnolk posted:

Concrete works if it's thick enough, but many contemporary building materials (cinderblock etc.) are too brittle and thin to withstand any rifle fire before the wall just crumbles away. Architects also used to put a lot more leeway in the supporting structures, resulting in supporting walls adequate for a fortress. Thus it depends on the urban setting. A medieval European town is very different to a modern suburb.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 4, 2013

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The scenario where the Allies would accept Nazi surrender to the western allies alone is basically Gay Black Hitler territory, anyway. How would such an arrangement even work?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A bit late, but here are some (rather optimistic, apparently) thicknesses of stuff that a rifle bullet will penetrate.

http://sovietguns.blogspot.ca/2013/10/mosin-penetration.html

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

The scenario where the Allies would accept Nazi surrender to the western allies alone is basically Gay Black Hitler territory, anyway. How would such an arrangement even work?

We need to stop the hordes of Red Army soldiers overrunning all of Eastern Europe (who are only there because Germany kicked down their front door)!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Slavvy posted:

They assumed "unconditional surrender" to mean the same thing they presented the Poles with.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NAVSEA made a series of videos on the subject of how common building materials stand up to gunfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSqdTLLZBWw

The tl;dr is that the average structure is concealment, not cover.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flesnolk posted:

Page 13 of this document begins listing recommended protective thicknesses for direct hits inflicted by projectiles ranging from 7.62 mm to 75 mm in quite a bit of detail.

http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA423950

Conclusion: Soil and rubble are your friends.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 4, 2013

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Slavvy posted:

Well the reasons depend for what groups of Germans you're looking at. Nazi leadership and OKW/OKH heads didn't want to surrender because they knew the gallows awaited them should they do so. German generals didn't, blaming the oath they swore to Hitler or some bizarre ideal of honor prevented them from doing so. Really they were afraid of the soviets as much as anyone else in the reich and knew a surrender in the west without the allies joining Germany would cause a morale collapse on the eastern front. The average German soldier was more than happy to surrender to the western allies provided he was presented with a good chance to do so. Not so much in the east as they knew what had been done in the occupied territories and that the soviets would show no mercy if they didn't shoot them out of hand.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slavvy posted:

This is a very complex question. It has a lot to do with the Allies not wanting to accept any surrender that was conditional (such as to only one side would be) and a lot to do with how the mechanisms of state were arranged to prevent low-level consideration of surrender or rebellion. I'm still slogging through "The End" by Ian Kershaw (and I say slogging because he repeats himself an awful lot and isn't exactly a good writer) so I can't really recommend it as a book, but it does at least give you an idea of the mentality of the apparatus of control from Valkyrie onwards.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Well the reasons depend for what groups of Germans you're looking at. Nazi leadership and OKW/OKH heads didn't want to surrender because they knew the gallows awaited them should they do so. German generals didn't, blaming the oath they swore to Hitler or some bizarre ideal of honor prevented them from doing so. Really they were afraid of the soviets as much as anyone else in the reich and knew a surrender in the west without the allies joining Germany would cause a morale collapse on the eastern front. The average German soldier was more than happy to surrender to the western allies provided he was presented with a good chance to do so. Not so much in the east as they knew what had been done in the occupied territories and that the soviets would show no mercy if they didn't shoot them out of hand.

I have some sympathy with the (self-serving) argument Manstein puts out in his memoir: at what point do you actually turn on Hitler?

In 1933? Why? He's just won an election.
Because he's ordered you to reoccupy the Rhineland? Nope, Versailles is poo poo and unfair.
Anschluss with Austria? Ditto.
Bringing the Sudentenland into Germany? See above.
When we invade Poland? See above also he's promised us that England and France won't intervene and hey, they didn't the last two times.
When we defeat France? Okay we're stuck in a war we don't have a plan for winning but that's not a reason to launch a coup.
When we invade the USSR and it doesn't work and also the SS (whitewash the army lots here) have been massacring everyone? Sure, except we're now at war with the USSR and even if I can start a civil war to depose Hitler and even if it works, the consequence of that is that Germany will be immediately defeated and occupied by the USSR.

At the point at which it becomes obvious (from the perspective of the German army) that Hitler should be deposed, it doesn't actually help the people of Germany to do so and is a bad option if you have even a slither of hope of being able to force a stalemate on the Eastern front.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's also important to understand that the Seven Years War happened, and despite being attacked on all sides, Frederick managed to persevere and a miracle happened which saved Prussia. This inspired many, many men to come, from Napoleon(who had a very good chance to make it out with territorial gains in 1813) to Hitler. Ever since, many leaders have tried to fight to the end in the hope that alliances against them will fall apart for one reason or another.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Panzeh posted:

It's also important to understand that the Seven Years War happened, and despite being attacked on all sides, Frederick managed to persevere and a miracle happened which saved Prussia. This inspired many, many men to come, from Napoleon(who had a very good chance to make it out with territorial gains in 1813) to Hitler. Ever since, many leaders have tried to fight to the end in the hope that alliances against them will fall apart for one reason or another.

To be entirely fair to Hitler, the alliance against him fell apart within weeks after his death. He just underestimated how much people hate him, personally.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/goeb57.htm

quote:

The fact that we are still firmly on our feet and show not the least sign of collapse is sufficient proof that our enemies cannot do what they want, that they suffer from internal problems, and that they make such terrible threats only to keep us from noticing that. It is well known that at the point during the First World War when the German leadership thought the situation was hopeless and prepared the Reich for capitulation, the British military leadership told its government clearly that England’s losses on the Western Front were so great that it was necessary to seek an agreement with Germany to end the war. If the leadership of the Reich had known that, it would have undoubtedly made a different decision than the one it blindly made.

The reasons for its uncertainty and weakness would have been insignificant a few months later, not to mention today. In the end, one cannot deal with a national crisis of this magnitude by reducing the fat and bread rations, important as solving the crisis may seem at the time. The German leadership had not known that a large part of the French army mutinied in 1917, and that a single energetic German blow would have been enough to break through and perhaps force a decision to our advantage. France then saved itself by silence. Who can be sure than England, for example, is not doing the same today? Its government has already admitted that in the course of this war various things have happened that we did not realize at the time. One can therefore draw the conclusion that we learn little about the enemy’s real difficulties during a war, and that one can assume that at any given time things are happening, even if they are not publicly discussed.

quote:

To be entirely fair to Hitler, the alliance against him fell apart within weeks after his death. He just underestimated how much people hate him, personally.

Er, what?

Arguably friendly relations lasted into 1946, and certainly up to VJ day.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 5, 2013

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fangz posted:

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/goeb57.htm

Er, what?

Arguably friendly relations lasted into 1946, and certainly up to VJ day.

The Americans and Soviets were antagonistic at Potsdam, but "friendly" relations were maintained for a while longer. It was a steady decay from the Potsdam Conference to the Berlin Blockade.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

I have some sympathy with the (self-serving) argument Manstein puts out in his memoir: at what point do you actually turn on Hitler?

In 1933? Why? He's just won an election.
Because he's ordered you to reoccupy the Rhineland? Nope, Versailles is poo poo and unfair.
Anschluss with Austria? Ditto.
Bringing the Sudentenland into Germany? See above.
When we invade Poland? See above also he's promised us that England and France won't intervene and hey, they didn't the last two times.
When we defeat France? Okay we're stuck in a war we don't have a plan for winning but that's not a reason to launch a coup.
When we invade the USSR and it doesn't work and also the SS (whitewash the army lots here) have been massacring everyone? Sure, except we're now at war with the USSR and even if I can start a civil war to depose Hitler and even if it works, the consequence of that is that Germany will be immediately defeated and occupied by the USSR.

At the point at which it becomes obvious (from the perspective of the German army) that Hitler should be deposed, it doesn't actually help the people of Germany to do so and is a bad option if you have even a slither of hope of being able to force a stalemate on the Eastern front.

You forgot "when people started being rounded up at random and sent...away".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
In re: mercenarychat, I am laughing forever because I both love and hate the human condition, for the exact same reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDWB_4eEnCk

Incidentally, I know for a fact that von Frundsberg advertised, and a bunch of the other big names as well.

Edit: But why did the commercial make the vicarious participant (this thread's members irl :ssh:) look like such a dingus? He could be a younger Bruce Campbell. I mean, we all know what kind of person'll be buying this, but you don't have to telegraph the fact.

Edit:

bewbies posted:

You forgot "when people started being rounded up at random and sent...away".
Yeah, or the second a Special Detachment shows up and asks for help. gently caress that exculpating nonsense.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a travelling HEGEL posted:

In re: mercenarychat, I am laughing forever because I both love and hate the human condition, for the exact same reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDWB_4eEnCk

Incidentally, I know for a fact that von Frundsberg advertised, and a bunch of the other big names as well.

Edit: But why did the commercial make the vicarious participant (this thread's members irl :ssh:) look like such a dingus? He could be a younger Bruce Campbell. I mean, we all know what kind of person'll be buying this, but you don't have to telegraph the fact.
What I love is that he dives behind a chair, thus making the Kinect lose track of him, pause the game and ask to reacquire him..... Oh Xbox, you are so crappy :allears:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

What I love is that he dives behind a chair, thus making the Kinect lose track of him, pause the game and ask to reacquire him..... Oh Xbox, you are so crappy :allears:
Yeah, the guy in the ad, the way the ad is shot, the game, and the console all blow dogs. Also war crimes I guess.

You've been in the Xbone thread in GBS 2.1, haven't you? :sparkles:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, I spent a year working support for that shitpile and came out of it with PTSD and a renewed despair for the future.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

No, I spent a year working support for that shitpile and came out of it with PTSD and a renewed despair for the future.
Holy poo poo. My condolences. If you want to make fun of it there's a thread in GBS 2.1 for that.

Also, and here's where we may have been confused, the purpose of an ad is to make your product look appealing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm done venting about it. It at least gave me some motivation to get off my rear end and try get some certs under my belt so I can hope to get a job that doesn't totally suck at some stage.

Ironically, it did actually pay well though.

Back on track, yes, that game just looks like a great way to do all the kinds of moving that FPS nerds love to do. The idea of a PMC selling merchandise is somehow really disturbing though.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Rent-A-Cop posted:

NAVSEA made a series of videos on the subject of how common building materials stand up to gunfire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSqdTLLZBWw

The tl;dr is that the average structure is concealment, not cover.

that depends on what you mean by 'average'. The big brick row houses you can find in DC, Baltimore, and Philly (among other places) are more than 1 layer of brick, and the tenements you'll find in UK cities are also drat thick. I mean yeah if you are living in a house with load-bearing drywall then bullets are going to zip through, but not everyone does.

Going back to sand, one of the reasons that it is effective is that it is made up of a bunch of little particles in a bag rather than a singular hard block. What this means is that when a bullet impacts you lose less material because the plastic is keeping all the particles in place, and they can move around a bit so the energy dissipates more gradually. With bare brick the fragments can spray everywhere and the energy is transferred much more quickly.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

that depends on what you mean by 'average'. The big brick row houses you can find in DC, Baltimore, and Philly (among other places) are more than 1 layer of brick, and the tenements you'll find in UK cities are also drat thick. I mean yeah if you are living in a house with load-bearing drywall then bullets are going to zip through, but not everyone does.
Most construction in the US is at best one layer of brick over plywood with some insulation and drywall behind it. Even thick brickwork isn't going to stop concentrated fire for long though, and anything heavier than small arms is going in one side and out the other.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Most housing in the US is at best one layer of brick over plywood with some insulation and drywall behind it. But even thick brickwork isn't going to stop concentrated fire for long, and anything heavier than small arms is going in one side and out the other.

cf. Afghanistan, where literally everything in the southern half of the country is effectively a small-arms proof bunker.

• Locked thread