Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

1st AD posted:

Speak for yourself :colbert:

In the 24th century, mankind has evolved beyond a need for making GBS threads, however. Hence only one public restroom on the Galaxy class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tony Montana posted:

We often laugh how Americans will bleep swear words but three people getting shot in the space of a minute complete with a one-liner from the shooter is a-ok.

Oh there are plenty of Americans who thing that's stupid, too, don't worry.

Vagabundo posted:

New Zealand, Best Zealand.

Ahem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Zealand

:colbert:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
S01E14 - The Storyteller.

This is some loving bad Trek. Four more eps till Duet, then one more and S1 is behind me. Thank gently caress for that.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Went back a few days, couldn't find it. I will just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc

Merry Holidays, Trek Thread.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Tony Montana posted:

This is some loving bad Trek. Four more eps till Duet, then one more and S1 is behind me. Thank gently caress for that.

Yeah I definitely struggled with a lot of S1, but Duet is a key turning point. It's really fascinating how you can almost see the show find its feet before your very eyes in S2 and it just never looks back

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

TV censorship in the US only applies to shows freely broadcast over the air. Private networks like cable/satellite or internet streaming services can show whatever they want whenever they want. If a broadcaster violates the FCC censorship regulations they can be fined, but not criminally prosecuted. As broadcast TV has become increasingly irrelevant, so have the censorship laws related to it.

:911:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

My Q-Face posted:

Went back a few days, couldn't find it. I will just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc

Merry Holidays, Trek Thread.

Merry Christmas, My Q-Face!

Have this replicated handmade sweater!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

TV censorship in the US only applies to shows freely broadcast over the air. Private networks like cable/satellite or internet streaming services can show whatever they want whenever they want. If a broadcaster violates the FCC censorship regulations they can be fined, but not criminally prosecuted. As broadcast TV has become increasingly irrelevant, so have the censorship laws related to it.

And yet the dumb douchebags down at Comedy Central still filter swear words on the Daily Show at 11PM.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

And yet the dumb douchebags down at Comedy Central still filter swear words on the Daily Show at 11PM.

To be fair, I honestly think it kinda adds to the charm. It's almost atmospheric bleeps.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just think of it as Christopher Pike agreeing with whatever Jon Stewart is saying.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

They do however practice self-censorship because no one wants to risk precious ad dollars. Broadcast television and cable television don't really look as different as they used to, honestly.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

DrNutt posted:

They do however practice self-censorship because no one wants to risk precious ad dollars. Broadcast television and cable television don't really look as different as they used to, honestly.

Yes, the Daily Show's audience would certainly be turned off by hearing John Stewart say "cock." :rolleyes:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Apollodorus posted:

Yes, the Daily Show's audience would certainly be turned off by hearing John Stewart say "cock." :rolleyes:

You know drat well someone with a stick up their impulse engine exhaust port will call in and complain if he said cock.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
John Oliver's podcast, The Bugle, bleeps words, but has a much higher tolerance than the Daily Show. When his material covers the same ground as a much future Daily Show bit, hearing him say the entirety of the word "poo poo" makes the jokes 10% funnier.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Trent posted:

It's going to eat away at you.

You know you're going to watch it.

FAT RIKER

Dammit, don't tempt me. :v:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Circutron posted:

Dammit, don't tempt me. :v:

Do it. Do it for the BIJ

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tony Montana posted:

This is some loving bad Trek.

The village resists the dalrok. The village thinks you're a pussy. The village is united in its feeling of just how big a nancy-boy sissy you really are.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
the surest sign that we've all moved on is that we got past page 90 without comment.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Apollodorus posted:

the surest sign that we've all moved on is that we got past page 90 without comment.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm wondering how the basic conceit of In the Pale Moonlight would play out in other Treks, with other Captains. How would Picard, Kirk, or Janeway get the Romulans on board the war effort to save the Alpha Quadrant?

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

Otisburg posted:

I'm wondering how the basic conceit of In the Pale Moonlight would play out in other Treks, with other Captains. How would Picard, Kirk, or Janeway get the Romulans on board the war effort to save the Alpha Quadrant?

Kirk wouldn't need all the subterfuge, he would just get into a meaty fight with a founder and smother it with his chest after it tears his shirt.

That would be the whole dominion war.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Picard would get into some kind of accident that gets him stranded on a planet with a Romulan captain and while trying to survive they bond and gain a mutual respect. In the end they discover a Dominion jammer was preventing them from being rescued because the Dominion want the Federation and Romulans to believe that their captains had killed each other, straining relations.

Kirk does the same thing except the Romulan captain is an attractive lady.

Janeway does nothing but leave devastation and broken promises in her wake.

e: Archer gets into a space battle with the Romulans but it was all a misunderstanding. In the end he gives an inspiring speech that we don't actually hear because the scriptwriters aren't good enough to make it convincing and the Romulans are won over by it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Alchenar posted:

Picard would get into some kind of accident that gets him stranded on a planet with a Romulan captain and while trying to survive they bond and gain a mutual respect. In the end they discover a Dominion jammer was preventing them from being rescued because the Dominion want the Federation and Romulans to believe that their captains had killed each other, straining relations.

e: Archer gets into a space battle with the Romulans but it was all a misunderstanding. In the end he gives an inspiring speech that we don't actually hear because the scriptwriters aren't good enough to make it convincing and the Romulans are won over by it.

Janeway/Archer get the Romulans to ally with the Dominion outright. Somehow they manage to break the alliance with the Klingons who also ally with the Dominion. The Vulcans leave the Federation, and ally with the Dominion.

The Borg make an alliance with the Dominion.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Alchenar posted:

In none of these scenarios is "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAKKKKE" proclaimed so be glad they never happened.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Alchenar posted:

Janeway would attempt diplomacy using Neelix. The Romulans declare war on the Federation the next day.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

kelvron posted:

Janeway would attempt diplomacy using Neelix. The Romulans declare war on the Federation the next day minute.

There you go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really, the question is impossible to answer for Janeway, you have to specify if she's in an up or down phase.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Janeway would flip the Romulans the bird and charge headlong into Dominion territory. Voyager would be shot to pieces and left for dead. One week later, the completely unscathed Voyager would continue her drive into Dominion territory, and be destroyed. Next week, Voyager arrives at the Dominion homeworld. At this point, the Jem Hadar would be demoralized by the unstoppable ghost ship. Janeway then deploys a virus bomb that forcibly converts the great link into coffee. Voyager lands in the ocean of coffee, and Janeway drinks her fallen foes one cup at a time.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure Janeway would go back in time to keep the war from starting in the first place, also the Borg would be there because Janeway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Apollodorus posted:

Their audience, no. But if it has nothing to do with ad revenue, then why aren't Comedy Central and other cable channels just going balls out and doing whatever the gently caress they want? They're under no FCC obligation to censor, yet there's no "fucks" or "cocks" and not a titty in sight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LeafyOrb posted:

In none of these scenarios is "IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAKKKKE" proclaimed so be glad they never happened.

I don't know, Picard would mean the chance of more Tomalak, and that's not a bad thing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Their audience, no. But if it has nothing to do with ad revenue, then why aren't Comedy Central and other cable channels just going balls out and doing whatever the gently caress they want? They're under no FCC obligation to censor, yet there's no "fucks" or "cocks" and not a titty in sight.

They dust off the occasional gently caress.

I think its less their audience, and more that if someone has it out for Company X, they'll go looking for lovely implications about Company X, and "LOOK AT THIS TELEVISED FILTH COMPANY X SPONSORSSSS!!!!!" is juicy moral crusader fodder that they don't want to deal with.

And in many cases, companies don't threaten to pull ads to keep the channels in line, the channels control their content for fear of the companies running the ads.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hailthefish posted:

the channels control their content for fear of the companies running the ads.

This is pretty much what I was saying. I'm just a little surprised that no basic cable channels have ever tested the waters to see if they can get away with more. I keep thinking its going to happen with AMC, but America will drown itself in viscera before a show gets filthy language and/or nudity apparently.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Preechr posted:

Janeway would flip the Romulans the bird and charge headlong into Dominion territory. Voyager would be shot to pieces and left for dead. One week later, the completely unscathed Voyager would continue her drive into Dominion territory, and be destroyed. Next week, Voyager arrives at the Dominion homeworld. At this point, the Jem Hadar would be demoralized by the unstoppable ghost ship. Janeway then deploys a virus bomb that forcibly converts the great link into coffee. Voyager lands in the ocean of coffee, and Janeway drinks her fallen foes one cup at a time.

Story by Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and Jeri Taylor.

Edit: To continue my tirade against bad ship designs, what the gently caress is the K'Vort? Just a bird of prey model not built to scale, let's be real.

rocket_man38 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 5, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
No I'm pretty sure it IS the bird of prey, because it's more detailed than the Vorcha model that was made for TV.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
There are two classes of Bird of Prey, Br'el and K'Vort. The K'Vort is newer and bigger but is just a way of reusing the ST3 model all through TNG.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DrNutt posted:

I'm just a little surprised that no basic cable channels have ever tested the waters to see if they can get away with more.

TBS ran uncut Sex and the City the whole way through exactly one time.

The documentary channels, especially back when TLC and A&E were very different than they are now, pulled zero punches. Many years ago, I saw a documentary about the fighting against FARC and got to see what it looks like when commandos kick the door in and a guy takes a three round burst to the upper chest, neck, and head at point blank range. It was...something else...back before you could just casually find that sort of thing on the internet.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
TNG "The High Ground" is one of the best episodes of Star Trek. It flies completely under the radar because it doesn't have major plot developments or any notable guest stars, but the story and characters are just top notch. Kerrie Keane and Richard Cox toe the line between a moral calling to defend their ideals and the kind of crass and ugly murder needed to advance those ideals. What I really like is that this is an episode where both guest stars deliver great and understated performances in the episode, and the script is so good and fluctuating between sympathies that you kind of leave the episode with a sense that this planet is stuck in a hopeless quagmire.

It's one of those episodes that seems like it'd be impossible to make today because of how sympathetic the Rutian rebels are, and Richard Cox's criticism of the Federation's tacit approval of the authoritarian regime vis-a-vis trade has direct parallels to the USA's support of states with non-kosher records on human rights. No way in a post-9/11 world would you ever see an episode of Star Trek really critically tackle the idea that the United States is in fact responsible for a lot of suffering in the world and that a lot of violence directed towards us is simply blowback for our meddling.

Sash! posted:

TBS ran uncut Sex and the City the whole way through exactly one time.

:stare: there's an episode where a dude literally shoots cum so hard it hits Cynthia Nixon in the face from halfway across the room, that made it to broadcast?

1st AD fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally saw that dinosaur-people Voyager episode. It is typical Voyager-bad in that, despite having a show that's so far away from Earth, they would take 70 years to get home, they keep running into Earth creatures. Like, they really can't stop doing it, over and over again, they keep running into alien races who secretly originate from Earth, have visited Earth, traveled through a wormhole/time portal from Earth, are Q, etc.

Everyone from the Gamma Quadrant must be like "Oh, we know about you. We all go on vacation in Hawaii in the winter. Congratulations on finally finding us, I guess."

• Locked thread