Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:catstare: This is still a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

file copy over SSH with no offload can be excruciating, tbh.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

scping directories around is really convenient, though, especially under heavy port restrictions. If it's a lot of little files and you want to avoid the dumb overhead of opening a session for each file (which makes your transfer about 10x as slow as a single file, as you probably know), pipe the stuff through tar+gzip and untar+gz it on the other side as Bob suggested. You get near line speed that way.

Push:
cd /parent/of/dir && tar zcf - dirtocopy | ssh user@remotehost tar zxvf -

Pull:
cd /dir/to/dump/to && ssh user@remotehost 'cd /parent/of/dir && tar zcf - dirtocopy' | tar zxvf -

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 4, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

With 2GB file limits? It's almost guaranteed to be some HP-UX 10.20 box.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
So, umm, feel free to insult me if I didn't find any discussion here regarding what I'm going to ask about : has anyone ever built some custom tool to monitor, via SNMP, the status of one/many printers? I don't like Xerox's XDA application, and I've got a bunch of Brother/HP/Sharp printers which obviously won't register with it; all in all I've got 20 something printers keep under control.

I've found the OID tree regarding... pretty much everything printer-related, even the text on the display (http://oid-info.com/cgi-bin/display?tree=1.3.6.1.2.1.43), but I guess I'll have to develop something myself, a quick glance on the web didn't give me useful results.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I'm running the Xerox XDA here, and it's monitoring our HPs, Samsungs, and Toshibas, et. al. as well as our Xerox devices. It's even found a few non-printer devices. It is a pretty ugly application, but it works well enough for the most part.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Char posted:

So, umm, feel free to insult me if I didn't find any discussion here regarding what I'm going to ask about : has anyone ever built some custom tool to monitor, via SNMP, the status of one/many printers? I don't like Xerox's XDA application, and I've got a bunch of Brother/HP/Sharp printers which obviously won't register with it; all in all I've got 20 something printers keep under control.

I've found the OID tree regarding... pretty much everything printer-related, even the text on the display (http://oid-info.com/cgi-bin/display?tree=1.3.6.1.2.1.43), but I guess I'll have to develop something myself, a quick glance on the web didn't give me useful results.

Do you have any sort of monitoring and metrics system running for your servers, like Zabbix or collectd/Nagios? I'm not aware of printer-specific tools (not to say that there are none), but "polling SNMP data, storing and displaying it, and taking actions depending on the value" is very common and there's dozens of tools out there in that space.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

evil_bunnY posted:

As long as there's no (perceived) conflict of interest/scheduling, I wouldn't have any issue with it.

Eh I had the recruiter speak to them, they wanted me available during the day for fielding t/s related to the migration so it would be no good. At least I tried.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

TWBalls posted:

For security reasons I probably shouldn't be doing it, but I've been using Google Drive. I like it because if someone leaves a document open on their system, I can still open it and modify it. Problem is, I set that up months ago and I'm still the only one that bothers to put any documentation on there. :sigh:

I brought that up with the director for the umpteenth time and told him this is the last time I'm bringing it up with him and that if things don't change soon, I'll be shooting the regional director an email.
It's really fun when your boss keeps asking you for the same drat file, but instead of spending 2 minutes learning how to use Google Drive they'd prefer to spend a half hour searching through their email inbox for an outdated version. :bang:

edit: and then complain that they need more email storage space allocated on the server because they prefer you email stuff to them and they never clean out their box

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 4, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Char posted:

We use spiceworks to monitor printers only. It does everything we would want without much effort.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's fine as long as you pick a reasonable encryption algorithm for the task -- blowfish and arcfour are quite performant choices -- but Itaniums in general are poo poo with ciphers, so there's that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm just going to take a moment again to gush about Dell's 12g servers, idrac7 enterprise, and lifecycle management controller.

I'm rebuilding our database cluster in 2012 R2. All I had to do was download a new driver package from Dell's site, flash it to the Lifecycle controller, boot into the controller and tell it I wanted to install 2012 R2 and go. The controller provided every single driver necessary to get the thing up and running and the server was running with recent drivers for all hardware on first boot.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

bull3964 posted:

I'm just going to take a moment again to gush about Dell's 12g servers, idrac7 enterprise, and lifecycle management controller.

I'm rebuilding our database cluster in 2012 R2. All I had to do was download a new driver package from Dell's site, flash it to the Lifecycle controller, boot into the controller and tell it I wanted to install 2012 R2 and go. The controller provided every single driver necessary to get the thing up and running and the server was running with recent drivers for all hardware on first boot.

I usually just boot into the controller and have it auto update to the latest driver and firmware packages. I love it. Pisses me off to no end when vendors ship us a server and they cheaped out and didn't include a DRAC/Lifecycle controller.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
New guy was getting a little snippy from being both bored and frustrated - he got a laptop after only being here 3 days (a miracle honestly - it usually takes a full week), and he got his CAC and login account set up. He's watching me and the other two guys on our team logging into vCenter and RDPing into servers with our credentials and finally comes over in a huff and asks why he can't log into anything even after getting his login account.

I had to gently tell him that there is a big difference between getting his login account, and getting the admin accounts created, and that even if he had them that very minute there was no way in hell the team lead is going to let him log in to servers without someone to watch over his shoulder or walk him through things. His response was "this is so slow, and it's hard to just sit here and read paperwork", to which everyone started laughing. Poor guy hasn't even gotten through the initial paperwork packet - there are two more that will each take a week to read through, plus a couple safety and training videos that will take another 6-8 hours to view. I hope he enjoys the active shooter video - it's pretty fun to watch.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

even if he had them that very minute there was no way in hell the team lead is going to let him log in to servers without someone to watch over his shoulder or walk him through things
I'm not sure what kind of paperwork you need to go through in terms of change control, but in a normal environment this is a pretty awful way to team-build, hire, or basically do anything at all.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

I'm not sure what kind of paperwork you need to go through in terms of change control, but in a normal environment this is a pretty awful way to team-build, hire, or basically do anything at all.
Keeping an eye on the new guy in his first few weeks is a bad thing? I'm pretty sure the "watch over his shoulder" was not a literal statement.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I would say it depends on the skill level of the job, if someone hovered over me in the beginning of a contract I would be like :frogout:

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
I believe he works at a military contracting company's data center. I remember when he first started he was posting about how he was spending entire shifts just studying because they wouldn't give him anything to do yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

New guy was getting a little snippy from being both bored and frustrated - he got a laptop after only being here 3 days (a miracle honestly - it usually takes a full week), and he got his CAC and login account set up. He's watching me and the other two guys on our team logging into vCenter and RDPing into servers with our credentials and finally comes over in a huff and asks why he can't log into anything even after getting his login account.

I had to gently tell him that there is a big difference between getting his login account, and getting the admin accounts created, and that even if he had them that very minute there was no way in hell the team lead is going to let him log in to servers without someone to watch over his shoulder or walk him through things. His response was "this is so slow, and it's hard to just sit here and read paperwork", to which everyone started laughing. Poor guy hasn't even gotten through the initial paperwork packet - there are two more that will each take a week to read through, plus a couple safety and training videos that will take another 6-8 hours to view. I hope he enjoys the active shooter video - it's pretty fun to watch.

Is this a helpdesk job or something?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Government contracting has all sorts of pitfalls regarding letting unauthorized individuals access systems, even if someone else is watching.

It took me 3 weeks to get my badge and physical security access at State and another 2 weeks after that to get my admin account for the intranet. They let me work on other stuff in the mean time, but that was only because State didn't have the same policies the DoD does.

In another case, a new guy who had worked for State for 20 years took a month and a half to get a new ID card and physical security access. Never underestimate how slowly the government moves on paperwork.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sickening posted:

Is this a helpdesk job or something?

Technically we're all Sysadmins, but the team was known as the Server Farm until recently, and all of us were technicians.

Requiring someone to watch over him is not a slight on the guy's knowledge or experience - all of us had to go through a period where even though we had access we had to shadow or be shadowed by one of the veteran members of the team. We don't have a test environment, so everything we work on is live and is part of the DoD network. As you might imagine, making a change without knowing exactly what is affected is strongly frowned upon. The guy has plenty to keep him occupied, it's just that doing nothing but reading for 8 hours a day sucks the life out of you. I remember what it was like, so sometimes I throw him a bone and take him with me when I do something down in the server farm, or walk him through some of the things I'm doing on the network so he gets a little variety.

Seriously, this guy is getting his accounts and access at light speed compared to when I got mine in March, but for him it's a big adjustment because he's not used to having to wait for everything. I repeatedly explained that the military has a process and procedure for everything, with the paperwork to support it. Quick and agile does not factor into any of it. Patience is not just suggested - it's a requirement. Having gone through the experience myself, with the same sort of outlook, has made me sympathetic to the people enduring it for the first time, so I try to ease them into things - I didn't have anyone who bothered to do anything like that for me when I started, so I do my best to help out how I can.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Sickening posted:

We use spiceworks to monitor printers only. It does everything we would want without much effort.

Thanks for all the answers, I don't know anything regarding our monitoring systems and I'll talk to someone who might know something about them.
I was looking for something quick and dirty a la Xerox XDA Lite, but more functional, but keeping it all under monitoring is probably a better idea.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Haha my coworker just passed the CCIE Written with a score over 950, yet doesn't know difference between an SVI and a routed port. Testking! Why do people even bother, don't they realize they will be perceived as a cheater?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because they figure that once they land the sweet rear end gig they can fake their way through it. CCIE probably not. Most MS certs? Yeah, most likely.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sepist posted:

Why do people even bother, don't they realize they will be perceived as a cheater?

1. They're lazy. They don't want to learn or improve, they just want a slightly bigger paycheck.
2. They won't be perceived as a cheater by anyone who matters re: paycheck.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sepist posted:

Haha my coworker just passed the CCIE Written with a score over 950, yet doesn't know difference between an SVI and a routed port. Testking! Why do people even bother, don't they realize they will be perceived as a cheater?

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/general/pop_exam_violations.html

*whistles*

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
How can Cisco not tell when people cheat like this. They should make the tests more dynamic or something

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm kinda surprised things like TestKing exist...

The again, I got it for free when I worked at Microsoft.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

It's still used high-level enterprise environments, they even released a new chip last year, but Microsoft stop developing and others want to stop developing for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I could see being able to fool people by dumping your way through the A+ or even the CCNA, but after that they are going to become suspicious when you go in for your technical interview and don't know the difference between OSPF and BGP.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

I'm kinda surprised things like TestKing exist...

On the bright side, paper tigers tend to get exposed fairly quickly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone use password management tools?

Primarily I'd like something for the IT department but a secure system for regular employees would be neat.

I'm pretty low on the totem pole at my workplace so I need to have my poo poo straight if I propose this.

Edit:

psydude posted:

... don't know the difference between OSPF and BGP.
As someone who is really new to IT, I was really excited when I realized that I do know the difference between those two protocols!

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 6, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone use password management tools?

Primarily I'd like something for the IT department but a secure system for regular employees would be neat.

I'm pretty low on the totem pole at my workplace so I need to have my poo poo straight if I propose this.

KeePass.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

KeePass.

For a few seconds I thought the name of the product was KeepCloud, but then I remembered that it's Cloud-> Butt, not rear end.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm trialing PasswordManager Pro for a client and it's pretty awesome and terrible at the same time. It's much more powerful than Keepass and lets you assign roles and such, plus you can remote-change passwords on all your resources/devices. But it's also super overkill I think. Everything is browser based and there's a SQL backend and a heavy java service. Just not my cup of tea at all.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As someone who is really new to IT, I was really excited when I realized that I do know the difference between those two protocols!
I will say it is more important to know why you would use one over the other than to "know the difference" between them. The easy answer is interior vs exterior, but there are cases where you will want to (or have to) use BGP internally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IS-IS or bust :black101:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

adorai posted:

, but there are cases where you will want to (or have to) use BGP internally.

Well, of course you're going to want to use BGP internally if you want your network to have Internet access.

Feel free to contact me if any 6-figure consultant positions open up.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

psydude posted:

KeePass.

KeePass was fun, but our company had to get rid of it when the security poobah discovered it was keeping all the credentials in a plain text file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

single-mode fiber posted:

KeePass was fun, but our company had to get rid of it when the security poobah discovered it was keeping all the credentials in a plain text file.

Wait, what? I thought the whole point was that it's encrypted. Am I missing something?

• Locked thread