Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

si posted:

Nice fun/reliable daily driver?

Got that covered already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

What is that car?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Yakattak posted:

What is that car?

Holden Commodore SS.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Yakattak posted:

What is that car?

A new Holden Commodore.

Fairly sure it's one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VE_Commodore#Commodore_SS

E: They are pretty much Strayla, the car. They have a really bad rep because dumb racist bogans really love them, but they are a nice car.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 3, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
99 is my fav year because it has dohc heads on the phase 2 block. Wish I had one because the bottom end is more durable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

A new Holden Commodore.

Fairly sure it's one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VE_Commodore#Commodore_SS

E: They are pretty much Strayla, the car. They have a really bad rep because dumb racist bogans really love them, but they are a nice car.

It's also with a few cheap mods a wickedly quick car - not to mention that as stock it's already STI kind of quick, except with a braking deficincy unless you go with the optional Brembo package. Stock, it takes the WRX and beats it stupid when there's anything like a straight bit of road. Corners pretty well too.

Traction control being off in the wet is not an option, not unless you want to be wrapped around a power pole.

So yeah, quick stock car that is awesome to cruise in, got that covered. And it hauls a car trailer very well too. The 06, as much as I like it, really isnt anywhere near as good a daily driver.

Edit : It's a SS-V, so it has some neat luxo barge touches as well. The climate control and stereo is stupidly good

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 3, 2013

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Cat Terrist posted:

It's also with a few cheap mods a wickedly quick car - not to mention that as stock it's already STI kind of quick, except with a braking deficincy unless you go with the optional Brembo package. Stock, it takes the WRX and beats it stupid when there's anything like a straight bit of road. Corners pretty well too.

Traction control being off in the wet is not an option, not unless you want to be wrapped around a power pole.

So yeah, quick stock car that is awesome to cruise in, got that covered. And it hauls a car trailer very well too. The 06, as much as I like it, really isnt anywhere near as good a daily driver.

Edit : It's a SS-V, so it has some neat luxo barge touches as well. The climate control and stereo is stupidly good

Yeah, I went for a drive down Mt Nebo (Probably the most popular road in Queensland) just outside of Brisbane and I saw a few up there, they looked and sounded great. I prefer the looks of the Subaru but I'd definitely enjoy owning one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok everyone, you may remember I was bitching about the ride quality of my 2006 WRX. Cat Terrist kindly took some time out from organising feline Thunderdomes, trying not to catch fire, or whatever else it is he gets up to outside of here to point me in the direction of what I now know is a fairly infamous issue of sticking struts on the inverted-type dampers my car is fitted with.

I took some time at the weekend to have a go at regreasing them, but long story short, I had a bit of a boo-boo. Got along fine with the driver’s side rear, went to do the other side, and rather than the lower nut coming unscrewed from the damper rod, the damper rod came unscrewed from the piston. Which, of course, led to all the magic falling out as said damper ejaculated all over my driveway. :suicide:

Now, irritating as this may be, it kind of forces my hand to purchase new dampers. I put an order in with https://www.camskill.co.uk for a set of KYB Excel-G units, as these would appear to be the “OEM” ride quality standard. Unfortunately, Camskills contacted me to say that these were not correct for my car, and pointed me instead to http://www.camskill.co.uk/m10b0s273...n_03_on_WRX_STi Ultra-SRs. They say they have checked it out, and this is definitely what my car was fitted with from the factory. They don’t list Excel-Gs specifically for it.

My worry is that the Ultra-SRs will be firmer than what I want, and not alleviate the harsh ride, as they seem to be STI spec rather than WRX spec. I’ve had a poke around online, and people seem to have successfully used 2003-onward fitment Excel-Gs as replacements for Hawkeyes, so I think that what I should be buying are http://camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2713p30..._03_on_Excl_STi. Camskills aren’t able to give me an answer on whether or not they will fit, partly because it’s not what’s listed for my car.

I’m happy enough to spend the slightly higher amount on the Ultra-SRs if they’ll give me what I want, but I’ll be seriously pissed off if I’m still left with a jarring, choppy ride, which is what the Excel-Gs would seem to solve for me.

Side note – I did nail the car back together with the buggered shock on that side and give it a run, and while obviously the damping is shagged on that corner now, the small-bump roughness seemed much improved, so I think the greasing of what I had would have been successful if I hadn’t buggered it up.

So, my questions are as follows:
1 – Would the Ultra-SR dampers be a lot harsher than the Excel-G ones?
2 – Do those 2003-onwards Excel-Gs definitely fit?
3 – If they fit, do I need any additional hardware, such as bumpstops or top mounts, to do it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The earlier struts fit but you need a washer between the top of the rear shock shaft and the top hat. The profile of the shoulder changed between 05 and 06 along with the top hats and springs. If you were to just install them you would get a lot of clunking out of the back. Otherwise, geometry and length and lower mounting stays the same as long as you don't mix sedan and wagon parts, although wagon front struts get you a nice bump in negative camber.

This place makes one that is the exact right dimensions:
http://turninconcepts.com/scooby921-strut-spacers.html

Those KYBs are not very good struts though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm still having this occasional engine no-start condition that resolves on it's own within 10 min of just sitting there. Does this possibly sound like a bad relay to anyone? Possibly one controlling ignition? I can't imagine a fuse is the root of this.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Maybe just the starter, or something like the crank sensor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

The earlier struts fit but you need a washer between the top of the rear shock shaft and the top hat. The profile of the shoulder changed between 05 and 06 along with the top hats and springs. If you were to just install them you would get a lot of clunking out of the back. Otherwise, geometry and length and lower mounting stays the same as long as you don't mix sedan and wagon parts, although wagon front struts get you a nice bump in negative camber.

This place makes one that is the exact right dimensions:
http://turninconcepts.com/scooby921-strut-spacers.html
Hmm, ok, doesn't sound too onerous if I go down that route.

quote:

Those KYBs are not very good struts though.
Well, at the price, I wouldn't expect them to be astounding, but they're the only "OEM equivalent" dampers I can find other than Sachs, and the KYBs appear to be fairly popular.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

Maybe just the starter, or something like the crank sensor.

It'll actually turn over fine with no issue, just doesn't fire. How would one go about testing a crank sensor?

I have to say I didn't notice this until my apexi power FC was installed and the car was tuned - but the PFC is functioning fine with no errors and has no visible issues. I figured this was a loose wire but then it wouldn't fix itself in 10min.

E: Would a faulty crank sensor still be suspected seeing as the car runs and revs fine up until it randomly cuts out sometimes?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 3, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

they're the only "OEM equivalent" dampers I can find other than Sachs, and the KYBs appear to be fairly popular.
Looks like I can get a 2006-specific set of Sachs Super Touring for under Ł350 delivered. Probably going to go with those, seems like they'll give me what I'm after.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I think I'm finally ready to start looking at a new car. Been practicing driving a stick and I think I've got it down. Going to try to test drive a BRZ and WRX this weekend. Would really like to test drive it with just me and the wife, without the sales guy. I'm comfortable with the whole negotiation in and buying a car thing. Anyone have any tips for stuff to check out on the BRZ or WRX? Looking to buy new, not used.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

There isn't much to "check" on a new car luckily. The WRX is gonna have more power but I've heard the BRZ is a fun drive nonetheless.

Does anyone remember my oil cooler leaking? I replaced the rubber elbows and put new clamps on there and it's still leaking. Is it possible there's a pinhole leak in the metal cross pipe coming from the water pump? It only leaks when it's below 30 F.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Yakattak posted:

There isn't much to "check" on a new car luckily. The WRX is gonna have more power but I've heard the BRZ is a fun drive nonetheless.

The BRZ is great fun to drive hard, has a useless trunk and a useless back seat. So essentially it's just like a sports car!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, by check I meant things I should look at that are cool or things that tend to bother people. And yeah, the lack of trunk space is what is pushing me towards the WRX. Having a hatch just adds so much utility. That and I've never driven in snow and will be moving to a snowy place soon. Doubt a light rear wheel drive sports car is ideal for first time snow driving.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

If you're moving to snow buy a WRX.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Internet Explorer posted:

So I think I'm finally ready to start looking at a new car. Been practicing driving a stick and I think I've got it down. Going to try to test drive a BRZ and WRX this weekend. Would really like to test drive it with just me and the wife, without the sales guy. I'm comfortable with the whole negotiation in and buying a car thing. Anyone have any tips for stuff to check out on the BRZ or WRX? Looking to buy new, not used.

Also, keep in mind the 2015 WRX will be out soon, and it's a pretty major overhaul and probably worth waiting for at this point.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

Also, keep in mind the 2015 WRX will be out soon, and it's a pretty major overhaul and probably worth waiting for at this point.

But he said he wants the utility of the hatch and the 15 is no hatch right?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Totally TWISTED posted:

Correct, no hatch for the 2015. Plus the 2014's just hit dealerships so it'll likely be nearly a year before the 2015's are on lots.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

Ah crap, I missed that.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Amandyke posted:

Correct, no hatch for the 2015. Plus the 2014's just hit dealerships so it'll likely be nearly a year before the 2015's are on lots.

Ordering for the 2014 is already closed, and most of the 2014 stock is already on their way to dealerships. The 2015s are going to roll out early. We don't have an exact date, but we expect it to be much less than a year from now.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Am I the only one who would be really wary about buying the first model year of a major revision?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Am I the only one who would be really wary about buying the first model year of a major revision?

I think it's crazy to buy a brand new car at all honestly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Looking over the spcs..... no I'd be grabbing a 2014 even if I didnt want a hatch. Plus... you NEVER buy the first year of a new gen WRX. MY01 and MY08 can pretty much swear to that.

Farking Bastage posted:

No, you are not. Especially WRX.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jamal, can you get crankshaft position sensors and camshaft position sensors for an EJ20K?

Found this on another site, I believe it to be accurate:

•EJ20K Crank position sensor (OEM - 22053AA051)
•EJ20K Camshaft position sensor (OEM - 22056AA052)

Thanks.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

No OEM stuff you are better off getting from one of the big online wholesale dealers. They are cheaper than the standard shop discount. First I would make sure the crank sensor is bolted down tight and the connector is plugged in all the way. I had a car that acted funny and would not start sometimes and it was just because the connector was loose.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

jamal posted:

No OEM stuff you are better off getting from one of the big online wholesale dealers. They are cheaper than the standard shop discount. First I would make sure the crank sensor is bolted down tight and the connector is plugged in all the way. I had a car that acted funny and would not start sometimes and it was just because the connector was loose.

I'll check that, thanks. I was driving to work today and lost ignition on the highway for maybe 2 seconds and then it fired up again (was in gear). So weird. If anyone has any similar experience please chime in.

Are the symptoms of a bad cam/crank sensor the same?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Looking over the spcs..... no I'd be grabbing a 2014 even if I didnt want a hatch. Plus... you NEVER buy the first year of a new gen WRX. MY01 and MY08 can pretty much swear to that.

No, you are not. Especially WRX.

Out of curiousity, what do you see in the specs that makes you prefer the current gen? It's a moot point for me since I own a '13 and won't be buying a new car for a long time, but I thought the next gen was supposed to be the new hotness?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VelociBacon posted:

I think it's crazy to buy a brand new car at all honestly.

There are some good reasons though, for one, somebody has to do it, and financing incentives might make it a more attractive option than getting a loan through your bank to get a newer used car. Plus if you want a 100% guarantee that you're the only one to hoon about in your ride and have an exact history of your car and how it was driven and taken care of (you would be surprised at the extent of what can go unreported), you're stuck getting new. I do understand and usually advocate getting a used model, especially since it's taken its biggest depreciation hit, but there is some merit to getting a brand new car. And who can resist new car smell and peeling off the protective plastic films?

Cat Terrist posted:

you NEVER buy the first year of a new gen WRX. MY01 and MY08 can pretty much swear to that.

I know about how the MY08 owners got screwed with a TD04 while MY09 got the VF52, but what was the issue with MY01? Quick google didn't turn out anything glaringly obvious.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Bajaha posted:

I know about how the MY08 owners got screwed with a TD04 while MY09 got the VF52, but what was the issue with MY01? Quick google didn't turn out anything glaringly obvious.

USMY02 has a terribly fragile transmission that the MY03 does not have as far as I know.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mr. Powers posted:

USMY02 has a terribly fragile transmission that the MY03 does not have as far as I know.
Replaced mid-USMY02. Late model year cars like mine have the beefier 5MT, continuing on into 03.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Out of curiousity, what do you see in the specs that makes you prefer the current gen? It's a moot point for me since I own a '13 and won't be buying a new car for a long time, but I thought the next gen was supposed to be the new hotness?

2 litre, fatter, 6spd is the cable shift (EWWWW), still got brakes obviously too small. Plus Subaru dont deserve money while they even think about CVT's into a WRX. I'm still in disbelief they thought that's in any way a good idea.

Bajaha posted:

Slower than the previous model by some margin, considerably more weight to haul around and very polarising looks. They made some amends with the peanut, but in reality it was only until the hawk (06) and the 2.5l they finally bought it back to classic performance.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Is the 2.0 really a downside? It has just as much HP as the previous gen and it hits max torque much earlier. I'm also guessing it'll see improved fuel economy. I agree the CVT is really stupid, though. I haven't seen any weight figures--is it heavier than the previous gen?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cat Terrist posted:

6spd is the cable shift (EWWWW)

Aren't most Honda's cable shift? I've driven quite a few and the shift feel was fine. I don't know about the 6 speed (drove an STI only a handful of times), but with the 5 speed I have, I've pretty much tried everything short of a short shifter trying to get a nicer shift feel and I still have some lateral slop in gears. It's fine to shift but nothing to write home about, certainly not as good as some mazda and honda gear boxes I've tried.

Is Subaru's cable shift just poorly setup or am I missing something?

Cat Terrist posted:

Plus Subaru dont deserve money while they even think about CVT's into a WRX. I'm still in disbelief they thought that's in any way a good idea.

I think this one is down to bean counters, from what I've seen the STI is 6spd only so there's that, gotta move those units and cvt is more appealing to the mouth breathing public.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well technically a cvt should be faster. But they will probably melt when people start making power. I don't know why they didn't come up with a dsg like everyone else.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

^^ Techworks in Canberra have already seen that on the Forester XT. Also, think the 6 spd is heavy? Man, it's petite next to the CVT.

Bajaha posted:

Is Subaru's cable shift just poorly setup

Answer to question

quote:

I think this one is down to bean counters, from what I've seen the STI is 6spd only so there's that, gotta move those units and cvt is more appealing to the mouth breathing public.

WRX isnt a car for the mouth breathers. It's for us. So why the gently caress do they even think abotu a gearbox that actively fights you in doing WRX things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

Maybe it is because you can buy a 268hp Camry for around the same price as a 268hp WRX.

I know some of you probably grabbed your chests and are full of rage ready to smash the keys on how a Camry is nothing like a WRX. But both cars hit the same class/price/horsepower.

Subaru needs to sell cars. They probably think adding that CVT will increase sales.