Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
"Sea Hawks weak link...Big game experience and Night games"

Seahawks actually have the best MNF record (20-8 as of tonight). Wouldn't have guessed that one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Bad Moon posted:

More posted a couple days ago at the Saints SBN blog Canal Street Chronicles.

TFF Saints Goons, I've never appreciated you more.

Sounds like Rob Ryan should be listening to ESPN since it sounds like they have the inside scoop on the defensive weaknesses of Seattle.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spoeank posted:

Yes if I were to figure out a weak link on Seattle its the defense. I mean what the hell?

Look he heard it on ESPN, dude. It must be true.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yes the two-headed monster of Mark Ingram and Pierre Thomas. Totally better than Seattle's running game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

quote:

There is a good chance that patriots will win the Superbowl this year.

I am not sure if you all know Chinese astrology or even care but i thought this article was interesting.

"http://m.thepostgame.com/features/201302/gary-numbers-guy-grinberg-year-snake-patriots-lebron-lakers-clippers-ravens"

"Each Chinese zodiac symbol rotates every 12 years. In January 1989, 24 years before Super Bowl XLVII, Joe Montana and the 49ers won Super Bowl XXIII. A dozen years after that, in January 2001, the Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV. Both years were Dragon Years.

Another connection between the Super Bowl champion Ravens and the Year of the Dragon is its history with the Year of the Rat. "Rats do great in Dragon years" Grinberg says. "They have one of the strongest bonds and the strongest energies between them."

Ravens owner Steve Biscotti was born in 1960 and the franchise was founded in 1996, both Rat Years. Joe Flacco, the Super Bowl XLVII MVP, is also a Rat (born in January 1985). Trent Dilfer, the Ravens quarterback on the Super Bowl XXXV team, is also a Rat (born in 1972).

Grinberg notes this is not the only championship example of the Dragon-Rat connection. Shaquille O'Neal, a Rat born in 1972, won his first title in 2000, the Year of the Dragon. As for the mirror image, Kevin Garnett, a Dragon born in 1976, won his first title in 2008, the Year of the Rat. Jim Brown, a legend in Grinberg's native Cleveland, is a Rat born in 1936. He won his first title in 1964, a Dragon Year."

This is about patriots..........

"What Will the Year of the Snake Bring to the NFL?
Sticking with football, Grinberg, 35, has his early Super Bowl XLVIII favorite: The New England Patriots."

"Tom Brady was born in the Year of the Snake and the last time it was the Year of the Snake, 2001, Tom Brady won his first title," Grinberg says. "Funny how that works.""

He made grammar mistake saying belichick is a ox. he meant to say he is a dragon. dragon and snake have the tightest best friend bond.

He also made a twitter post saying patriots will fail during playoffs last season and he was obviously correct.

This is another interesting part from the same article.

"Pigs do very, very poorly in Snake years. I'd say about 90 percent of Pigs will not do well in Snake Years," he says. "Rodgers -- his best days are behind him. I would not be surprised if the Packers don't even make

the playoffs next year. Aaron Rodgers is going to have an off year. Gore -- if San Francisco's smart, they'll cut or trade him. He's done."

After the Rodgers and Gore comments, Grinberg was asked to confirm what he was saying. He chuckled.

"I know exactly what I'm saying."

pig is the opposite sign of the snake and they are antagonistic towards each other.

If you all remember 2007(year of the pig) where tom was humiliated in the superbowl you will get the picture. Sure we had the best run that year but it was all set up to oppose brady. many of the defenders on the giants team were born in sign of pig. Justin tuck and strahan were both born in pig years.

the weirdest thing about this whole thing? I think the new england patriots are born under pig(1959?) . this is probably why despite tom's humility and great character he still gets a lot of negative press.

I heard many people say "they like tom but they don't like patriots". This is interesting.

If you all want to check what year chinese zodaic animals correspond to then you can just google it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Why did I read that whole article? :psyduck:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Grammar mistake = being flat out wrong okay got it

I can't stand when people gently caress up and try saying it's a typo or grammar mistake. I hear it every day at work. Bitch bitch moan moan

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Field Gulls bums me out so much. Back when we had John Morgan (and Jeff Sullivan over at Lookout Landing) we had sportsblogs that meshed stats and X's and O's with a really lyrical writing style that seemed passionate and considered. The people at Field Gulls now seem to know their stuff but also write gross pieces about their sex tourism trips to Thailand (and allow rape apologists/deniers to run rampant in the comments sections).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dadjacket posted:

Field Gulls bums me out so much. Back when we had John Morgan (and Jeff Sullivan over at Lookout Landing) we had sportsblogs that meshed stats and X's and O's with a really lyrical writing style that seemed passionate and considered. The people at Field Gulls now seem to know their stuff but also write gross pieces about their sex tourism trips to Thailand (and allow rape apologists/deniers to run rampant in the comments sections).

I'm sorry, what? They seriously wrote an article like that?

edit
loving christ...

quote:

I also had hopes in Thailand. While the women are extremely beautiful, so too are many of the boys. I don't know how often I looked at a Thai girl and thought "wow" and didn't realize it was a ladyboy (in the sense that I'll never know because I wasn't trying to find out) but I can definitively say that I looked at over 100 ladyboys and knew what I was seeing. At one point on the beach a group of five of them in matching purple bikinis came and sat next to us and started taking some photos together. Despite perfect figures, it was not hard to know what you were looking at.

I think I could always tell the difference, or so I hope so. Oh God, I hope so. Oh no.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 4, 2013

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Holy poo poo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chichevache posted:

I'm sorry, what? They seriously wrote an article like that?

edit
loving christ...

Go Seahawks Motherfucker~

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

Go Seahawks Motherfucker~

Pol Pot was a Dolphins fan, bitch. t:mad:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Uh ok thanks for bringing that to my attention brb showering

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

il serpente cosmico posted:

This post is amusing to me since Browner has already tested positive for amphetamines in the past. It's plenty easy to get popped for any of the substances on the list.

Josh Gordon was suspended for Codeine just this year.

Can NFL players not just get a prescription and buy their recreational drugs for $6 at Target like any other self-respecting upper-class junkie?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Can NFL players not just get a prescription and buy their recreational drugs for $6 at Target like any other self-respecting upper-class junkie?

You cant get :420: by prescription in Florida.

But god drat if Morgan and Morgan aren't hot on the case and trying to make it happen.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

quote:

I think I could always tell the difference, or so I hope so. Oh God, I hope so. Oh no.

This is a pretty good summary of visiting Thailand to be honest

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The story in question

It's not only gross as hell, the post completely fails at serving its purpose. You're writing a game recap, talk about the loving game. Don't bury your lede, and especially don't bury it with a bunch of transphobic shitthatneverhappened.txt garbage. People are searching your site to find out if the Seahawks won or not and don't care about your lovely story God this makes me angrier than I thought it would.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Ribsauce posted:

This is a pretty good summary of visiting Thailand to be honest

I'll get to test this theory next year! :stonklol:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

What do y'all think of your teams' SB Nation sites? The Lions site is decent except for one prolific commenter who really sucks, and the occasional guy who wants them to trade Stafford and start Kellen Moore. I'm not familiar with the other communities.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Jets SB Nation site is actually pretty great. They've got good analysis and fast news updates. Their comment section is also very well moderated so there isn't too many assholes there. On the negative side they have a severe case of mood swings and enjoy their in-jokes a bit too much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Stampede Blue is the worst NFL blog on the network and it's not really close.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Every stupid jerk on SB Nation sucks.

CC: Benne.

Real talk though, Niners Nation is pretty awesome. Their 90 in 90 outlining every single person on the roster & at training camp over a 3 month span is something I look forward to every year.

Edit: I apparently lit the Benne-signal

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

I don't read any sports commentary or news except what I see on TFF, and I feel like I'm better for it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That Seahawks blogger is a terrible writer and that whole post was a classic "but the question is, was that your signature" situation.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

whypick1 posted:

I'll get to test this theory next year! :stonklol:

Pretty sure this emoticon was invented for this reason: :hawaaaafap:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

R.D. Mangles posted:

That Seahawks blogger is a terrible writer and that whole post was a classic "but the question is, was that your signature" situation.

As bad as Kenneth Arthur is, I would hope that post doesn't totally color people's perception of Field Gulls. The blog's manager, Danny Kelly, is a pretty good writer who does a lot of great Xs and Os stuff, and his posts are worth reading.

I just wish he would kick Kenneth to the curb already.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

As bad as Kenneth Arthur is, I would hope that post doesn't totally color people's perception of Field Gulls. The blog's manager, Danny Kelly, is a pretty good writer who does a lot of great Xs and Os stuff, and his posts are worth reading.

I just wish he would kick Kenneth to the curb already.

quote:

WWhen I was in Thailand recently, I met someone. If you listened to the podcasting of my trip then you have already heard this particular story, but I think that it's relevant to Sunday's win over the Titans so I'm going to tell it to my audience of strictly-readers, even though in reality it is a pretty vulnerable story and is probably a tiny bit embarrassing.

To a person that had been born with shame, at least. Which I was not.

In my 30 years I haven't been a perfect person but I'm happy with how I've turned out thus far, the rough edges only heighten the joy of certain experiences. When you're highlights get buried in lowlights, or any light for that matter, how much more ecstatic are you for the good times? At this time, there's no possible way that I could envision a Steelers fan or Patriots fan getting as much joy out of a Super Bowl championship than what a Seahawks fan would.

We don't know that joy yet but the volcano is ready to pop and kill er'rybody.

My friend and I ventured to the island of Ko Samet when we were in Thailand and to be honest the trip desperately needed this to be something relaxing. The first few days in Bangkok were overwhelming (though I wouldn't take back a second of it, as it was a learning experience) and then the fourth day spent in was spent in the ridiculous city of Pattaya. If you are not aware, Pattaya is a city dedicated to the sex industry and notoriously a safe haven for some of the world's worst sexual predators, "allegedly."

Of course, we had no idea about any of that when we went to Pattaya. A few other tourists had told us that it was a great party town but what we didn't know, what we were naive to, was that they were saying party in quotes.

"Hey, it's a great "party" town." (followed by several winks. In retrospect, the winks and air quotes should have been a dead giveaway, if not the fact that some of these dudes looked like they may have been resident experts on the set of The Woodsman.)

Pattaya was surreal and disappointing but I learned more than a few things when I was there. I'd chalk that day up to a "loss" but a learning experience that was invaluable for future vacations and also how to catch a predator. We immediately booked a shuttle and boat ride to Ko Samet, the nearest island. Within 15 minutes of arriving on the island I finally knew why many Americans come to Thailand on the reg. Not only is it beautiful but it's so dirt cheap that many people could probably live there for a few months based on what's in your bank account right now and I am not estimating that to be a very high number.

(Just based off of my own bank statements. Plus you're a real mooch on this free website you enjoy so much!)

But my friend and I were a couple of single dudes and it would be great to meet a few single tourist ladies. Unfortunately, we weren't just on an island, we were on a specific beach on the island and you couldn't really venture from beach to beach at any time you wanted so you were contained to the people on your beach. And on this beach there was my friend and I, a bunch of families, a bunch of couples, and one duo of single ladies.

I've been out in my local hot spots, from Bellevue to Pullman to Seattle to Los Angeles and back again for many years and I can tell you that I'm no Mystery though I have been known to "peacock" now and then*. I've never been shy about my dating world shortcomings -- so I'm not going to start hiding it now -- and based on that I thought there was no way that this night would end with us picking up these two girls because how could that be possible? My friend actually sort of is a pickup artist, but that only gets us in the door. It doesn't give me a spare key under fake dog poop and a security code.

*"Peacocking" is when you discuss the new NBC fall lineup with a girl for two hours. It is really unsuccessful.

And yet to my surprise (cue some magical music playing in the background from a fantasy film like The Princess Bride) something-something none of your business. It was a fun night and I met someone that was way-too-gorgeous to be talking to me, probably a borderline genius, and for some unconscionable reason, interested in me. That one night was great.

Then there were two other days.

Somehow everything fell apart sometime in the middle of the following day and it was an ensuing awkward 30 hours or so because they were giving us a ride back to Bangkok and my friend was still cozy with his lady friend. Despite the fact that this was obviously not going to be a long-term situation, having occurred in Thailand and me still being a resident of the United States, I couldn't help but start to focus on how I had fumbled that situation on day two and self-reflect on my issues.

"What did I do wrong?"

"Why is this so awkward all of a sudden?"

"What would you do if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor 'cause he's hungry? And the only way to feed him was to sleep with a man for a little bit of money." (I have had that song stuck in my head since 1998)

I had a great time with somebody that was out of my league and when that league separation really started to show itself, I kept trying to analyze the ensuing two days and ponder self-improvement. I brought up some of these issues with my friend, the guy who has never been in my shoes and has only been on the other side of that equation, and he was so confused by what I was thinking and bringing up as an issue for me. He just looked at me and said:

"How can you not see this as a win?"

He was right of course. Who cares about how it happened, a win is a win and nothing can ever replicate the feeling of victory. In fact, given the situation (and really what heightened the possibility of it ever happening since people on vacation are really a lot more open to possibilities than people who are still in their home cities) there was no possible way to lose. It's not as though it wasn't also a learning experience -- an improvement opportunity -- but that doesn't lessen the fact that it was a win. And I should be proud. And I should do nothing more at that moment than bask in the warm electric blanket of victory.

If the victories in your life are few and far between, or even if they are many and close together, don't drown out that warm light with negative energy by focusing on the mistakes. Take the win, learn, move on to the next one.

that is how long he takes to get to the point he should be arrested for crimes against sportswords

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Well I just about had a laughter stroke

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The gently caress is that? I mean, it's funny, but I don't recognize it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The gently caress is that? I mean, it's funny, but I don't recognize it

Donald Sterling's deposition.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/nba-owner-sex-scandal

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Benne posted:

Stampede Blue is the worst NFL blog on the network and it's not really close.

Ugh, Brad Wells is the worst.

Edit: I use to enjoy Stampede Blue too. Around late 2009 it really started going downhill though. It's good to know dislike of the site is a common feeling.

Gandalf21 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2013

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Not a post, but:

I'm back in my hometown south of Houston for Christmas, and today while grocery shopping I saw a dude in a UT hoodie wearing a Steelers knit hat and gloves next to a guy in a Raiders jacket wearing a Texas Tech baseball cap. Maybe that second guy just really likes the idea of Raiders of any kind.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Arschlochkind posted:

Not a post, but:

I'm back in my hometown south of Houston for Christmas, and today while grocery shopping I saw a dude in a UT hoodie wearing a Steelers knit hat and gloves next to a guy in a Raiders jacket wearing a Texas Tech baseball cap. Maybe that second guy just really likes the idea of Raiders of any kind.

Its not really uncommon to have really different geographically located college and pro teams. I was born in and grew up in Pennsylvania for a while, but went to high school and college at Florida, so my pro and college teams are really far from each other.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

swickles posted:

Its not really uncommon to have really different geographically located college and pro teams. I was born in and grew up in Pennsylvania for a while, but went to high school and college at Florida, so my pro and college teams are really far from each other.

Anecdotally, growing up in Idaho I had two friends, one of whom rooted for the Raiders and one of whom rooted for the Packers.

The Raiders guy eventually went to California though so it wasn't that odd (though it was Pomona instead of somewhere north).

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Arschlochkind posted:

Not a post, but:

We have a bunch of posters with College teams and Pro teams not even close to each other.

I went to FSU. But I am a huge Patriots fans.

We had a thread to explain our fandoms one time and there were some interesting combinations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Gators (Alma Mater) with NY Giants (since birth), here. Actually a color combination that won't really clash if I wore a piece from both simultaneously.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I guess I should have been more pointed - the Steelers/UT guy came off as a megadouche because of his team gear and the Raiders/RedRaiders guy was just kinda funny. I know plenty of folks have wide college and pro splits but this guy found one that challenges Cowboys/UT in "potential rear end in a top hat, please observe correct precautions" value.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Arschlochkind posted:

I guess I should have been more pointed - the Steelers/UT guy came off as a megadouche because of his team gear and the Raiders/RedRaiders guy was just kinda funny. I know plenty of folks have wide college and pro splits but this guy found one that challenges Cowboys/UT in "potential rear end in a top hat, please observe correct precautions" value.

I knew a Miami Hurricanes/Dallas fan in the early 90s.

He found Jesus about a decade ago and became a hippy. Think he lives in a commune with his cult last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
ESPN article

quote:

Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. David Jones said Clowney was pulled over in a Chrysler 300 around 7:30 p.m. Saturday northbound on Interstate 77 in Fairfield County, about 25 miles north of Columbia.

Commentator

quote:

If this was somebody not in the SEC we would have the year of the car, if it's fully loaded, what color it is, what was in the car when he was pulled over, what the officers name was, and there would be an on-going investigation in to why he was driving this fast.....but this is the $EC on E$PN

[someone replies it says what car it was in the 7 sentence "article"]

I was speaking in general bub, and I didn't say they didn't say what car, they would be listing the specs, a Chrysler 300 could be a $19,000 car or a fully loaded $50,000 car, and I bet he wasn't driving a 'stock' model.

Media bias because the report does not mention if the car has leather or not, I have seen it all.

• Locked thread