Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

BobbyDrake posted:

I just finished watching the first season on Netflix yesterday. Is there a non :filez: way to catch up on the rest?

Edit: Ok so yeah, use iTunes or Amazon

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Netflix only has season 1

iTunes has the whole series

edit: interestingly, iTunes calls the current season 6

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
You can also get them on Amazon, which streams to more than just Apple hardware/PCs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Well, that's another princess dress ruined. And how did she keep the confetti dry in that butterscotch?

Also, someone gif Finn and Jake chasing the ogre with swords.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr. Mojangles posted:

^^^
Good imagery.

Some things didn't sit completely right with me in this episode, like the flying airplane, telemarketers, paved roads and the car... I didn't think everything quite fit in the world of Ooo.

Yeah they've basically introduced the latter-day capitalist rat race to Adventure Time, I mean the first few minutes weren't that far off of American Beauty, the tone couldn't be further from the first few seasons' CRAZY HYPERACTIVE ADVENTURES if they tried. It's going to be really interesting where they take this in the future, between PB being painted more and more as an detached utilitarian but also an actual empire-building benevolent tyrant I'm going to be pretty disappointed if Finn doesn't eventually butt heads with her in a big way over her Big Picture conduct. Not to mention that she's basically starting to preside over the same economic conditions that led to the Mushroom war to begin with.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Not to mention that she's basically starting to preside over the same economic conditions that led to the Mushroom war to begin with.

Oh man, I love that. Human society destroys itself, then another society takes its place to destroy itself again.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Maybe next season we'll see the Candy Kingdom start to get into squabbles over natural resources with the other kingdoms.

Candy Kingdom and Fire Kingdom go to war because of the Candy Kingdom's claim to a vein of (jazzhands) supergluberite on the border.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I keep going back and forth on the ending shot, wondering whether to take it in a positive or negative way.

Positive interpretations: he became the hero he fantasized about being, writing's not for everyone, if you suck at writing maybe you'll find something else that you're good at

Negative interpretations: he abandoned writing once he found something else rewarding, he was a phony writer, writing is what inspired him to be a hero in the first place and now he turns his back on it

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 4, 2013

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
My interpretation is that writing allowed him to live out his fantasies in a somewhat depressing escapist way, turned from healthy distraction into unhealthy obsession when it was revealed he's been at it for years and years on a book he'd never be satisfied to release - because then he'd need to stop, and now he'll never work another day of his life by doing what he loves.

He can always get back to writing, but now it would be non-fiction. Root beer in place of milkshake.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Positive interpretations: he became the hero he fantasized about being, writing's not for everyone, if you suck at writing maybe you'll find something else that you're good at

Negative interpretations: he abandoned writing once he found something else rewarding, he was a phony writer, writing is what inspired him to be a hero in the first place and now he turns his back on it

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. It's such an odd last shot because while everything in the ending is extremely positive, I still find something undeniably depressing about that shot. It's a happy ending but it's still a shot of a dream abandoned, forgotten and literally thrown into the garbage.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
I think the "no longer has to write about a fantasy life because he's living his dream" is the right interpretation. It seemed kind of clear to me that writing wasn't his passion, but his escapism, his way of forgetting his boring life. The ending for me came off as heartwarming and positive, and any negative interpretations of it didn't even occur to me until I read them in this thread!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I seriously doubt RBG ever intended to publish or even finish his story. He'd been writing it for ten years, it was clearly just his way to get some shadow of excitement in his life. Hence only doing it at night when he is otherwise alone with his thoughts. He threw away the typewriter because he didn't need escapism any more; he'd become the hero he'd spend his nights imagining.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Or maybe it's a rorschach test, deliberately ambiguous so that we debate its meaning. Who knows

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Who voiced Root Beer Guy's boss? What is he, anyway?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Steve Yun posted:

Or maybe it's a rorschach test, deliberately ambiguous so that we debate its meaning. Who knows

I was confused at first, thinking he was giving up on his dreams, but it makes way more sense that he was only writing because his dream was being a detective and his failed novel was just a way of illustrating that. Him starting over the "kicking in the door" line over and over was probably meant to be a clue that he wasn't good at writing in addition to being a joke and later callback.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Banana Guards, slightly less intelligent than actual bananas.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I love the juxtaposition of the posters on his side of the bed versus her's.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can't see any way in which giving up his terrible writing could be a negative. He ignored his wife to stay up all night and write. And did you see that rewritten sentence? He was pretty bad at it.

In the end he got to live a life that he actually liked, stopped wasting his nights on bad writing, and got back to "dancing" with his wife.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

No idea who voiced him, but he looked like a peanut. Not sure if there's a pun in there somewhere.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The entire episode was good but that candy kitty ohhh my gosh :3:.

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007
Jesus Christ, Adventure Time. This show is the best show.

Hands down, my absolute favorite part of this glorious episode was when Root Beer Guy is eating dinner and blandly notes, "hm. This is good. What's in it?"
Cherry Cream Soda's timing on, "[lip smack]... Candy." absolutely SLAYS me

"Listen," I said, "you say your not here for advice" ...

RRRRRRRGH, I hope they did that on purpose :argh:
If for no other reason than to illustrate just one other way that he is no good at writing and shouldn't quit his day job (which is now as the police chief anyway, so win/win)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think my favourite little detail about the last episode was when Root Beer Guy was reading his book on the underground and one of the other candy people there was reading it over his shoulder. It was just like every public transport journey ever.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Root Beer Guy and BMO need to solve a crime together ASAP.

Robot Jelly
Jul 15, 2007

Bleep Blorp
Did anyone get the significance of the ladder when Cherry Cream Soda wakes Root Beer Guy at his typewriter? I thought maybe they just needed it to reach the table but it wasn't in any other scenes. It's such a random thing that I feel like I'm missing something here.

Geirskogul posted:

I think he's one of those candy circus peanuts and the voice sounds like Tom Kenny to me.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Robot Jelly posted:

Did anyone get the significance of the ladder when Cherry Cream Soda wakes Root Beer Guy at his typewriter? I thought maybe they just needed it to reach the table but it wasn't in any other scenes. It's such a random thing that I feel like I'm missing something here.

I think he's one of those candy circus peanuts and the voice sounds like Tom Kenny to me.

guy probably drew a picture of her looming over him then figured due to their proportions she'd need a ladder to be able to do that and it was funny so in it went

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Robot Jelly posted:

I thought it was the only way for her to get into frame properly with the perspective. Like they had to figure out how to frame her in the shot, and they could only do it this awkward way and said "why not" because it was funny. To me at least. (I didn't see a lightbulb in her hand or anything so I don't know what a better answer was, other than because it was just funnier that way).

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

BobbyDrake posted:

I just finished watching the first season on Netflix yesterday. Is there a non :filez: way to catch up on the rest?

The entire series is up on cartoon network.com if you can get someone's cable login info.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

rawdog pozfail posted:

The entire series is up on cartoon network.com if you can get someone's cable login info.
I think you can only watch the last 5 episodes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love that the ladder has five steps in one shot and a dozen steps in another shot

Also, RBG and CCS have springform pans in their cabinets. Graham Falk likes to bake?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 4, 2013

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

JazzFlight posted:

I think you can only watch the last 5 episodes.

I just checked, you're right. Balls, I didn't want to spend money. Eh. I have a Kindle Fire HD, Amazon here I come.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Growth entails irreversible loss in the gaining of something greater. Root Beer Guy lost Joe Milkshake, but he gained self-actualization, and became better than Joe Milkshake could ever have been.

Steve Yun posted:

I think it was Bongo Bill who pointed out that there's some "big picture" characterization going on with PB this entire season, and he's looking more and more right all the time.

It wouldn't be out of line with this show's ambitions to use Princess Bubblegum to demonstrate the difference between Machiavellianism and immorality. They haven't shied away from really complex ideas before, and "The best thing for a ruler to do is what's best for the state, regardless of their personal conscience" is one whose complexity has kept it in currency for 500 years. (Fun fact: exactly 500 years, as the earliest known version of Il Principe is dated to 1513.)

But where does Root Beer Guy fit in to all of this? Well, it's another example of the problem Princess Bubblegum faces: her creations often fall short of her hopes for them, but she knows this and tests them (because she's a scientist at heart). The Banana Guards failed her more spectacularly than most, but she found she had a competent detective anyway in the form of Root Beer Guy. Maybe she's also expecting to need better security in the future. Also, Finn and Jake still trust her and she them, and she is capable of swimming in butterscotch. Not much new, but then, she wasn't in it much.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Have we ever seen an airplane in this show in a context other than that one squadron of bombers during the mushroom war?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
It should be noted this isn't the first time Peebles has tried to improve Candy Kingdom security. Remember making your mind into a fist back in Sky Witch?

edit: Can I just say how much I love that even his wife calls him Root Beer Guy? It's like PB names all of the candy people herself, and after the first thousand she just kind of gave up.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 5, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mimir posted:

Have we ever seen an airplane in this show in a context other than that one squadron of bombers during the mushroom war?
Just candy copters during Princess Cookie.
I wonder where the Candy Kingdom airport is located and where the flights go to?
Also where does the subway goes to? I guess there's a huge suburban sprawl on the other side of those mountains.

And why is it called a kingdom when it's ruled by a princess? It's a principality!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah, part of me thinks the urban sprawl might actually have just been a one-off plot device to better frame the story of Root Beer Guy, and not some sort of deep reflection on how civilization repeats itself and Ooo is doomed to another candy-themed mushroom war.

Edit: Although there is a strong case to be made for the rapid expansion of the Candy Kingdom theory with all its parallels to the modern world. They've introduced a ton of new candy kingdom stuff (helicopters, candycane guns, roads, PB's line about starting a new colony in "James") over the past season while simultaneously exploring the whole PB "benevolent tyrant" arc, so who knows?

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 5, 2013

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Say Nothing posted:

I wonder where the Candy Kingdom airport is located and where the flights go to?
Also where does the subway goes to? I guess there's a huge suburban sprawl on the other side of those mountains.

I feel like this depiction of the candy kingdom is a cartoon-of-a-cartoon, where it's a simplification of the kingdom done for aesthetic purposes. Inside, the kingdom as big and sprawling as any writer wants it to be. Kind of like an overworld map or one of those houses in videogames whose interior is way bigger than its exterior

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Say Nothing posted:

And why is it called a kingdom when it's ruled by a princess? It's a principality!

This is almost certainly not correct, but: I always took it to be 'Princess' in the sense that she's just a young female monarch. I have heard (someone correct me on this) that in Japan it's common to refer to a young (and so unmarried) queen as 'Princess'. So I always just took it to mean that...

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Say Nothing posted:

Just candy copters during Princess Cookie.

Woah woah woah, are there two mouths on the mountains that are vomiting the rainbow?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Princess" is a special term in Ooo. Its full significance is not known at this time, but a princess isn't just a young female ruler there. Remember the crowns with the gemstones in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

"Princess" is a special term in Ooo. Its full significance is not known at this time, but a princess isn't just a young female ruler there. Remember the crowns with the gemstones in?

Remember how LSP's was useless and not needed so they took it for no reason? :v:

• Locked thread