Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004
http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/

Black Friday Sale: Buy 1 lb coffee get one free. No Limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

DragonWC99 posted:

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/

Black Friday Sale: Buy 1 lb coffee get one free. No Limit.

Redline is great stuff. Love this stuff but hate buying just a lb and shipping.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

MrEnigma posted:

Redline is great stuff. Love this stuff but hate buying just a lb and shipping.

I bought 2 bags but it cost $9 to ship ground. Felt like that was a bit much considering I shipped 45 pounds of green for a few bucks more from sweet Maria's. Looking forward to trying it though!

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

With the rainy season fast approaching I'd been eyeing the behmor 1600 and I just received one as a birthday gift. It'll be here on Wednesday, any advice for my starter 1/4 cup batches?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Wish I'd seen the metropolis sale before splurging on other stuff (not even coffee related) a few hours ago. Looks like they don't have the beans I ordered from them before though, which had a cilantro flavor note, so I guess it's just as well. If shipping was cheaper I'd still jump on it, there's a distinct lack of fresh roasted beans here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't think my homemade coffee gives me the same amount of kick coffee bought even at the little cafe in my department has, so I'm wondering if there's something I could do to fix this.

I used to just make it in the french press and then save it in a glass jug but then read that if you do that it goes stale. So now I'm making it "cold brewed" in 1/3 cup grounds to 1.5 cups water mixture left at room temperature 12-18 hours, and then filtered. It still lacking something. Or is it just me?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'd start by getting a cheap scale.

Are you specifically focusing on cold brew?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well yeah, I can't drink an entire pot of hot coffee and it goes stale if you save it apparently, so unless there's a better way to save hot coffee I'm going to focus on cold brew.

I like making my coffee late and then only needing to pore it when I go out in the morning.

What would the scale do? The instructions I used uses cups for both coffee and water.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The scale adds consistency. A cup of ground coffee will be a different amount of ground coffee every time.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Rita Repulsa posted:

I don't think my homemade coffee gives me the same amount of kick coffee bought even at the little cafe in my department has, so I'm wondering if there's something I could do to fix this.

I used to just make it in the french press and then save it in a glass jug but then read that if you do that it goes stale. So now I'm making it "cold brewed" in 1/3 cup grounds to 1.5 cups water mixture left at room temperature 12-18 hours, and then filtered. It still lacking something. Or is it just me?

I don't know how true this is but I've heard that cold brewed coffee doesn't have nearly as much caffeine because the caffeine is extracted a lot more at higher brew temperatures. French Press is going to have the highest caffeine per serving (yes, I said serving, not ounce).

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

rockcity posted:

I don't know how true this is but I've heard that cold brewed coffee doesn't have nearly as much caffeine because the caffeine is extracted a lot more at higher brew temperatures. French Press is going to have the highest caffeine per serving (yes, I said serving, not ounce).

It's the opposite of true. It's false. Slower, colder extraction gets more caffeine in your drink because heat actually causes the caffeine to break down or something similar. Likewise darker roasted coffee has less caffeine than light roasts.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
For what it's worth, Harold McGee claims there's less caffeine in cold brew.

Caffeine is fairly robust--a quick search says that it's stable up to 176 ºC--so it's more just a question of which method extracts more.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

marmot25 posted:

For what it's worth, Harold McGee claims there's less caffeine in cold brew.

Caffeine is fairly robust--a quick search says that it's stable up to 176 ºC--so it's more just a question of which method extracts more.

I'm pretty sure this is where I remember hearing it. I know that darker roasts have less caffeine, but that's a much higher heat that's being used to roast the beans and it's also a dry heat, not a water extraction. The two share little in common.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
For any STL goons (or anyone that wants to order):

http://www.blueprintcoffee.com/

Yes, they are both hoity AND toity. I'm told they are approachable though.

They just opened up very recently. My brother in law's company does some back-end work for them. He was visiting us for the holiday last week so he brought me a 12oz of some stuff they don't have on the site yet and it was fantastic as press.

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone that might find themselves near the east end of the loop.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've recently acquired one of those Mr. Coffee cheap espresso maker things. ECM160 I believe it is. I read that these suck in the OP, but is there anything decent I can use it for?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've recently acquired one of those Mr. Coffee cheap espresso maker things. ECM160 I believe it is. I read that these suck in the OP, but is there anything decent I can use it for?

How is the frother? If anything you could froth up some milk and brew coffee with french press or dripper and combine them. I mean I wouldn't expect straight espresso to be good but nice frothed milk can cover up a lot and still be good.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Holy poo poo the Behmor 1600 :catstare:

It just roasted coffee in ~7 minutes, I think I'm in love.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

o muerte posted:

Welcome to the club!

Quarter pound p1 setting I'm guessing at that time?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
For portable grinding...hario? porlex? lido? (wait until the 2 comes out?)

Edit: Probably to be used with aeropress or the bonavita dripper. Maybe portable espresso machine in the future...

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 4, 2013

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

o muerte posted:

I've really been dialing in my half pounds on p1 using the 1lb setting, using the door trick to stretch the roast and the Rosetta stone trick. I do a minute thirty warm up on p1, beans loaded. My half pound roasts have way more complexity than my 1/4 roasts.

I made a little bean cooler, so I turn off the behmor momentarily, put a glove on, yank the hopper out, dump my beans the cooler, turn the behmor back on and hit cool. I do this in 10 seconds or less because I don't want to blow my behmor out. I might attribute my flavor increase to the faster cooling.

Download that "behthing" program, it's amazing. Has various buttons for the cracks, accounts for warm-up all that. Even pulls SM's sku numbers and provides all the information in a window, really handy.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 4, 2013

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

MrEnigma posted:

Edit: Probably to be used with aeropress or the bonavita dripper. Maybe portable espresso machine in the future...
Whichever one fits you the best. I have a Porlex Mini Mill and I love the thing. Try handling them IRL if you can.

I am currently going down a blindfolded espresso adventure with a cheapo Delonghi EC155 and the Porlex, so I'll let you know how that turns out. This morning I pulled a shot in 15 seconds and it was wretched, but the puck that came out was perfect. Small victories :3:

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
My parents bought me a grinder for my birthday. Sadly it is a Sunbeam Autogrinder EM0415, bladed. I bought some coffee beans from a local roaster and the woman there ground some for me, while I took the majority home as beans.

The cup I made with her grinds was wonderful, smooth and mild (It's Costa Rican). The cup I made using the grounds I made with my grinder was bitter and kinda burt tasting. I tried it with medium coarse setting and fine. No real difference.

Any use for a grinder like that?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Keeper Garrett posted:

My parents bought me a grinder for my birthday. Sadly it is a Sunbeam Autogrinder EM0415, bladed. I bought some coffee beans from a local roaster and the woman there ground some for me, while I took the majority home as beans.

The cup I made with her grinds was wonderful, smooth and mild (It's Costa Rican). The cup I made using the grounds I made with my grinder was bitter and kinda burt tasting. I tried it with medium coarse setting and fine. No real difference.

I've heard you can pulverize beans extra-fine for espresso or turkish.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Keeper Garrett posted:

If you have the ability to just pulse it, you might get better results, as the blades and friction and everything will create less heat while grinding than a constant spin?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
My girlfriend is big on coffee, but all we have is a lovely 12-cup Mr. Coffee that was $25 at Bed Bath and Beyond in 2011. I'd like to get her/us a nicer drip machine for Christmas, and I was just wondering if the Zojirushi in the second post of this very thread was the way to go for something $100ish or less, or if anyone has had any positive experiences with another dripper. I know for sure I want one without a stupid loving hotplate, and I definitely want one that a) gets the water up to at least an acceptable temperature and b) actually wets all of the beans rather than dumping water straight in the middle. Product pages for these things are generally not a lot of help with regards to those concerns, and I don't trust anonymous online reviews, just wondering if anyone here had a recommendation/positive experience to share.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Comic posted:

If you have the ability to just pulse it, you might get better results, as the blades and friction and everything will create less heat while grinding than a constant spin?

I'll try that. The auto setting really goes for a long time and when you open it it smells burnt. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get a burr grinder after tasting what coffee is like from one of those.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Keeper Garrett posted:

It's excellent for weed and spices. It's terrible for coffee.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Author friend Chuck Wendig has discovered the wonders of the Chemex and does a pretty drat good write-up of the product and process.

Now I definitely want one.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shere posted:

My girlfriend is big on coffee, but all we have is a lovely 12-cup Mr. Coffee that was $25 at Bed Bath and Beyond in 2011. I'd like to get her/us a nicer drip machine for Christmas, and I was just wondering if the Zojirushi in the second post of this very thread was the way to go for something $100ish or less, or if anyone has had any positive experiences with another dripper. I know for sure I want one without a stupid loving hotplate, and I definitely want one that a) gets the water up to at least an acceptable temperature and b) actually wets all of the beans rather than dumping water straight in the middle. Product pages for these things are generally not a lot of help with regards to those concerns, and I don't trust anonymous online reviews, just wondering if anyone here had a recommendation/positive experience to share.

The bonvita from page one is really recommended in the thread. I saw it here for 129 yesterday but it's not there today when I checked: http://www.mistobox.com

whole latte love has a 10% off
deal for their mailing list and their price is the same as amazon.

Edit: prima has it for 149
http://prima-coffee.com/brewer/bonavita-automatic-coffee-brewer

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 5, 2013

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

MasterControl posted:

Welcome to the club!

Quarter pound p1 setting I'm guessing at that time?

Yeah, 1/4lb on p1 - going to start playing around with p4 today. I guess it's time to order some more coffee from SM, it's going to take a while to figure out how I want the roasts to go.

Google Butt posted:

I've really been dialing in my half pounds on p1 using the 1lb setting, using the door trick to stretch the roast and the Rosetta stone trick. I do a minute thirty warm up on p1, beans loaded. My half pound roasts have way more complexity than my 1/4 roasts.

I made a little bean cooler, so I turn off the behmor momentarily, put a glove on, yank the hopper out, dump my beans the cooler, turn the behmor back on and hit cool. I do this in 10 seconds or less because I don't want to blow my behmor out. I might attribute my flavor increase to the faster cooling.

Download that "behthing" program, it's amazing. Has various buttons for the cracks, accounts for warm-up all that. Even pulls SM's sku numbers and provides all the information in a window, really handy.

Oh sweet, I'll definitely check that out. I can't really play around with opening the door to stretch the roast until I clean up some space in the garage to use the machine - if I fill the kitchen with chaff my housemates will hate me.

I was noticing that P1 really rolls through 1c and into 2c quickly; have you tried P3-5 at all? One of the SM videos about the behmor mentioned that they liked using P4 because P1 was too much heat too fast, and that of the 3 stepped power programs they preferred p4 over the others.

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011

MrEnigma posted:

I strongly recommend the hario slim mill. Grinds smoothly, holds about...maybe like 40-45g at max? At least enough for 2 cups worth of coffee. I got one for my birthday, it's relatively cheap, and pretty skinny and small.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

o muerte posted:

Yeah, 1/4lb on p1 - going to start playing around with p4 today. I guess it's time to order some more coffee from SM, it's going to take a while to figure out how I want the roasts to go.

Oh sweet, I'll definitely check that out. I can't really play around with opening the door to stretch the roast until I clean up some space in the garage to use the machine - if I fill the kitchen with chaff my housemates will hate me.

I was noticing that P1 really rolls through 1c and into 2c quickly; have you tried P3-5 at all? One of the SM videos about the behmor mentioned that they liked using P4 because P1 was too much heat too fast, and that of the 3 stepped power programs they preferred p4 over the others.

I've never experienced the 1c to 2c going to quickly thing. Maybe I'm just totally fuckin up, my roasts taste good though. I've read every behmor post on sm/coffee geek I could find, and I've come to the conclusion that I should be using p1 for the majority of roasts, except for softest of beans. Soft beans I'll use p3 with preheat.

Maybe it's because I use the door opening trick that I don't experience run away roasts. What I do is listen for the first cracks, start my timer, wait about 15 seconds, open the door to the first detent or all the way if it's really rolling for 15 seconds, close it for 15 seconds and repeat a few times. If you hear the cracks slowing too much, you risk stalling the roast, so be prepared to toss a couple batches until you get it down. I'd explore building a little bean cooler, I think the behmor kind of weak in that area.

I'd step up to half pound batches as soon as you feel comfortable, I swear they taste better than any 1/4lb roasts I did.

Ambient temperature and how clean it is has a huge impact on the heat cycle. I try to keep room 65-70 degrees, wipe it down with simple green and do a dry burn every 3-4 roasts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm in Portland again and I've checked out Heart, Ristretto, Barista, and Stumptown. (I might have forgotten one or two.) Which other roasters are worth checking out?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Coava.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Coava is the best roaster in Portland imo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Oh I knew I forgot one. Been there too.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Maybe it's because I use the door opening trick that I don't experience run away roasts. What I do is listen for the first cracks, start my timer, wait about 15 seconds, open the door to the first detent or all the way if it's really rolling for 15 seconds, close it for 15 seconds and repeat a few times. If you hear the cracks slowing too much, you risk stalling the roast, so be prepared to toss a couple batches until you get it down. I'd explore building a little bean cooler, I think the behmor kind of weak in that area.

I'd step up to half pound batches as soon as you feel comfortable, I swear they taste better than any 1/4lb roasts I did.

Ambient temperature and how clean it is has a huge impact on the heat cycle. I try to keep room 65-70 degrees, wipe it down with simple green and do a dry burn every 3-4 roasts.

Interesting, yeah, I think I just consider 1c to 2c in ~1:30 fast because of how long it took in the dog bowl, I have a suspicion that I was stalling my roasts pretty often. I'll try playing with opening the door to vent heat and slow the roast down as soon as I can and see if that gives me more predictable results. Just leaving things on P1 without doing anything tends to yield a darker roast than my target.

I, uh, also ordered some coffee to test with:

code:
Item	Sku	Qty	Subtotal
Ethiopia Zonegediyo Kochere Yirga Cheffe - 5 lbs	3974-5	1	$28.93
Guatemala Acatenango - Finca San Diego Buena Vista - 2 lbs	3277-2	1	$12.35
Guatemala Antigua Cafe Pulcal - 2 lbs	3939-2	1	$12.16
Should be a fun process.

Also, good call on the cooling - the industrial roast/cool setup is definitely the way to go if you want fine control over when you end the roast (and I do, I'll have to jury-rig a cooling setup ASAP.)

Thanks for all the info, it should be interesting learning how to get what I want out of the machine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Yep, the behmor requires more experimentation to get good results than people think. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Having trouble getting a good cup out of a french press (haven't used one before). Can being at altitude effect how long immersion time should be? I'm using the medium grind size on my grinder, and it seems like I have to leave it around 8-10 minutes to get a strength I like, which is significantly longer than what I've read is normal. I have tried smaller grind sizes for about 5 minutes, but it just comes out bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

French press should be medium-coarse at the finest I have found.

What coffee are you using? How hot is your water?

(It could legitimately be that you do not really like french press in the end but try these other things first)