Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
There used to be a local news app called Fwix that would pick up the news local and global for wherever you choose. This was not useful for me in my old city, as there were better non-aggregate news sources there. Where I am currently, it would be incredibly useful, but it no longer seems to exist. Are there any substitutes that have cropped up over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there a way to prevent the Skype app from pushing messages to both devices if I have one of them open, i.e. using Skype on either my ipad or iphone? If I'm on Facebook on my computer, I don't think Facebook messages get pushed to my phone. However, I end up with 123123 Skype messages on my non-active device if I'm using one of them to chat with. If that made sense.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

Comic Zeal is still the king, as far as I'm concerned. Comic Rack has some stuff with the metadata that's cool, but unless you already have metadata entered on everything it's more trouble than it's worth.

Wow, this is much better than Comic Flow- thanks! Decided against Comic Rack because I don't have Windows; it looks awesome too, though.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Xabi posted:

Is there a way to prevent the Skype app from pushing messages to both devices if I have one of them open, i.e. using Skype on either my ipad or iphone? If I'm on Facebook on my computer, I don't think Facebook messages get pushed to my phone. However, I end up with 123123 Skype messages on my non-active device if I'm using one of them to chat with. If that made sense.

I don't think so, this is something Skype would have to do on their end. It seems like every day Skype gets worse, I'm not a fan of any of their apps, they're all clunky and issues like this make it really annoying to use on multiple devices.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Because you can never have enough camera apps.* all gone

Post processing depth-of-field and aperture control. e.g. make things blurry and fool no one into thinking you have a high-end SLR.

Because Paprika rarely goes on sale.* all gone

Recipe management, meal planning, grocery lists and pantry management.

*Both for US iTunes Accounts only

Kruxy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
Awesome, I'm too dumb to food on my own so I claimed a MealBoard. Thanks!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Kruxy posted:

Because you can never have enough camera apps.*

Post processing depth-of-field and aperture control. e.g. make things blurry and fool no one into thinking you have a high-end SLR.

Because Paprika rarely goes on sale.*

Recipe management, meal planning, grocery lists and pantry management.

Thanks for Maelboard and doing the whole code hookup thing.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks grabbed a big lens code! Code hookup thing is awesome.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kruxy posted:

Holy loving poo poo what the gently caress Tim

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

I was cleaning and found a stack of these that I forgot I had picked up in October. They're still good until January 21.

Elvis Costello and the Roots with some snappy little ditty.*

*Probably for US iTunes Accounts only. Not accountable if your computer blows up or some poo poo.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Cool, grabbed one of the Elvis/Roots codes. Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So Atomic Web is broken now (long press hasn't brought up the context menu on images etc. since the latest iOS update). We should probably remove it from the OP.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a browser app that is as great as atomic web was? I'll scour the thread as best I can but that's a lot of pages.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Safari.app

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Was hoping for an app that has download management and 'identify browser as' features like atomic or yes I would use safari.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
When I was jailbroken on my 4S I used Dolphin and really liked it. I don't think I'd go for a different browser without a jailbreak to pull it into the OS seamlessly, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

VelociBacon posted:

Was hoping for an app that has download management and 'identify browser as' features like atomic or yes I would use safari.

I use dolphin, but seriously only when a page loads improperly in Safari. This is not because I love Safari, but because dolphin is just more limited in other respects than I prefer.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Apple has other browsers' balls in a vice because they won't let third parties have access to the accelerated JavaScript engine.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Perfect Web Browser has most of the features that Atomic has including Dropbox and Drive integration and ad blocking. I've been using it for a while now and it's great. Not the prettiest interface, but it works.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 3, 2013

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That looks pretty good, aside from the awful icon. Any way to easily import your bookmarks, though? Can't see any.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

the kawaiiest posted:

Perfect Web Browser has most of the features that Atomic has including Dropbox and Drive integration and ad blocking. I've been using it for a while now and it's great. Not the prettiest interface, but it works.

Jesus, you really use that? I wouldn't be able to let myself based on the website alone, let alone the app screenshots.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ICHIBAHN posted:

That looks pretty good, aside from the awful icon. Any way to easily import your bookmarks, though? Can't see any.

I have no idea about this, sorry. I use pinboard for my bookmarks so I don't have any on my browser.

Lexicon posted:

Jesus, you really use that? I wouldn't be able to let myself based on the website alone, let alone the app screenshots.

It blocks ads and integrates with Dropbox. It could be neon green with orange polka dots and I'd be using it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I used iCab Mobile for a while. I haven't installed it since upgrading to the iPad Air but the reviews don't seem to mention it being incompatible or broken. It's really nice and customizable. I admit that now I mostly use Chrome for the tab-syncing, though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Chinaman7000 posted:

I used iCab Mobile for a while. I haven't installed it since upgrading to the iPad Air but the reviews don't seem to mention it being incompatible or broken. It's really nice and customizable. I admit that now I mostly use Chrome for the tab-syncing, though.

I tried iCab and didn't really like it, but that was a while ago and on my laggy iPhone 4. I'll grab it again and test it on my 5s, thanks for reminding me of it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

the kawaiiest posted:

It blocks ads and integrates with Dropbox. It could be neon green with orange polka dots and I'd be using it.

I admire your pragmatism (seriously). I'm too much of an aesthete.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another option if you're a nerd hacker type is to use Apple Configurator to set up vpn and an http proxy. Then install squid on a server somewhere and use squid to do all your ad blocking.

It's something I've been wanting to try out for a while, but Apple Configurator requires wiping the device it configures which is the sort of thing I hate doing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gizmodo going mad about this CanOpener music app. Anyone used it? http://gizmo.do/6dm9crw

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Gizmodo going mad about this CanOpener music app. Anyone used it? http://gizmo.do/6dm9crw

The term 'science' is technically correct but whether adding cross feed is actually 'better' is entirely subjective. In technical terms, the fact headphones have none is truer to the original mix/source material, and adding any form of post-mixdown EQ is going to cause shifts in phase and group delay that may or may not be more pleasing to your particular ears. Even then, there's no golden single good setting for tune to tune let alone genre to genre.

The headphone library thing is intriguing but again relies on the manufacturer giving accurate specs and these being implemented correctly on the software end. Personally I'd approach it as a curiosity more than anything, and the use of that italic script-like typeface would drive me absolutely insane day to day.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Crosstalk is an undesirable phenomenon. Crossfeed is the feature that tries to give headphones speaker-like presentation. Over and over that review was getting under my skin.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What does "integrates with Dropbox" actually mean for a browser? I literally have no idea what that would entail. How do you use it? What problem does it solve?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

tuyop posted:

What does "integrates with Dropbox" actually mean for a browser? I literally have no idea what that would entail. How do you use it? What problem does it solve?

I don't know what integration this specific app does, but one that comes to mind for a web browser would be the ability to save directly, or upload when finished, downloaded files to your Dropbox.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Lets you save/load files in ways not supported by the OS, and lets you share settings or other data across platforms.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

withak posted:

Lets you save/load files in ways not supported by the OS, and lets you share settings or other data across platforms.

Yeah, this. In my case I like it because it lets me download files directly to my dropbox, so all the images that I tend to accumulate from web searches and whatnot don't end up cluttering my camera roll. I'm an artist and I use my iPhone a lot to search for reference photos so this is a really useful feature for me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

If anyone can confirm it works with iTunes Match I'd be willing to bite the bullet and try it out.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

If anyone can confirm it works with iTunes Match I'd be willing to bite the bullet and try it out.

Only if you download the files to your phone first.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Neurophonic posted:

The term 'science' is technically correct but whether adding cross feed is actually 'better' is entirely subjective. In technical terms, the fact headphones have none is truer to the original mix/source material, and adding any form of post-mixdown EQ is going to cause shifts in phase and group delay that may or may not be more pleasing to your particular ears. Even then, there's no golden single good setting for tune to tune let alone genre to genre.

The headphone library thing is intriguing but again relies on the manufacturer giving accurate specs and these being implemented correctly on the software end. Personally I'd approach it as a curiosity more than anything, and the use of that italic script-like typeface would drive me absolutely insane day to day.

Agreed. Besides I think it's a bad thing to change the source. They should be doing all they can to keep things as close as possible to the original source sound imo not change it.

But I'm sure most music is mastered with crosstalk involved. It's inevitable when using monitors to master.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Suqit posted:

Agreed. Besides I think it's a bad thing to change the source. They should be doing all they can to keep things as close as possible to the original source sound imo not change it.

But I'm sure most music is mastered with crosstalk involved. It's inevitable when using monitors to master.

Most studio-recorded stereo music has some sources hard-panned to either left or right. Vocals are typically the only thing equal in left or right.

Try listening to a few songs you know well with just one earbud. Sometimes entire instruments disappear.

The idea is that crossfeed can make those hard panned instruments appear out in front rather than beside you. I don't like it, but enough people do that it's available as a hardware switch on some headphone amps.

As for the headphone spec library, I bet it's only really got driver efficiency numbers stored to estimate volume for that "dosimeter," not a magic "make specific headphones sound incredible" EQ.

Save your money.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Suqit posted:

If you listen to music on speakers, your left ear hears the left speaker but also a bit of the right, and vice versa for your right ear. When music is mixed on speakers the engineer's working with this natural overlap - that's what stereo is really, a way of using two discrete sources that each ear perceives differently, to produce an illusion of a continuous soundstage where the elements can be anywhere inbetween. (In fact you can do some tricks that throw the audio all around you, but that's another show)

Anyway the point is that when you take that stereo signal that's meant to be heard by both ears in a room, and you wang each channel straight into one ear, it sounds different. It can even be unpleasant and nauseating for some people because of the spatial stuff that goes on, with centre sounds coming from inside your head instead of to the front. It changes the mix in all kinds of ways, which is why people like this option to try and restore something closer to the speaker experience.

There's no 'one true audio experience', unless you know for sure that the source was mixed specifically for headphones (or something like binaural audio, so you're not compromising purity here

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

baka kaba posted:

If you listen to music on speakers, your left ear hears the left speaker but also a bit of the right, and vice versa for your right ear. When music is mixed on speakers the engineer's working with this natural overlap - that's what stereo is really, a way of using two discrete sources that each ear perceives differently, to produce an illusion of a continuous soundstage where the elements can be anywhere inbetween. (In fact you can do some tricks that throw the audio all around you, but that's another show)

Anyway the point is that when you take that stereo signal that's meant to be heard by both ears in a room, and you wang each channel straight into one ear, it sounds different. It can even be unpleasant and nauseating for some people because of the spatial stuff that goes on, with centre sounds coming from inside your head instead of to the front. It changes the mix in all kinds of ways, which is why people like this option to try and restore something closer to the speaker experience.

There's no 'one true audio experience', unless you know for sure that the source was mixed specifically for headphones (or something like binaural audio, so you're not compromising purity here

That makes a lot of sense and is a great explanation.

Thanks

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Only if you download the files to your phone first.

Well gently caress that then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

I'm behind in this thread but just popping in to recommend the twitter app Tweetings 2. Just downloaded it and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I was previously using Twitterific after someone suggested it to me in this thread but I'm definitely making the switch.

Also, QuizUp is really great and I liked the old Wikipanion icon better.

• Locked thread