Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuff3
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like this is the right thread for really fancy AE projects but at the same time it doesnt look like that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Stuff3 posted:

I feel like this is the right thread for really fancy AE projects but at the same time it doesnt look like that at all.

There's always the motion design thread, I guess. Lot of AE users in there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503135

Fredski
Dec 2, 2013
As of this week graduating with an Advanced Diploma of CGI and Visual Effects (Specializing in Film and TV).

My first year group project was a full 3d Scene flythrough, which can be found here: http://vimeo.com/50736862
Second year first major project was a 5 day project to create a high quality advertisement for TafeSA (where the course was taking place), and can be found here: http://vimeo.com/65614170
And as of tomorrow night I am presenting on behalf of my team the major project for the year, which was a 6 month challenge - I'll post the video for that when we render the web version out!

I have had the privilege of working on Wastelander Panda, as an Assistant VFX Supervisor for Episode 3, and a VFX Artist for all three episodes. (http://www.youtube.com/user/wastelanderpanda)
A month ago I had my first paid work doing rotoscoping for a TV Commercial.

I am looking at doing freelance work and personal projects going into next year - feel free to ask me any questions about the above projects, or if you need any help with projects/programs/whatever. I am also a professional photographer and work building gaming computers.

I am most familiar with the follow programs:
 Tracking: Nuke, After Effects, Boujou
 Rotoscoping: Nuke, After Effects
 Compositing: Nuke, After Effects
 2D: Nuke, Photoshop, Fireworks
 3D: Nuke, Maya (Mental Ray, Vray)
 Programming: Python, MEL
 Photo Editing: Adobe Lightroom

I would appreciate hearing any opinion of the videos I linked above.

Fredski fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 2, 2013

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Fredski posted:

As of this week graduating with an Advanced Diploma of CGI and Visual Effects (Specializing in Film and TV).
Do Danny and Illia (Qube :D) still teach there? If so ask about the infamous Stargate assignment and Danny's sheep calender gift. And do you still do the Goldburn Valley project?

Vimeo seems really slow to load your videos.

Our Journey seems nice, composition wise, but plays pretty safe. Seems to suffer a bit in the texture quality department with the mars / moon landscapes. Narratively it feels a bit backwards going from Voyager to Hubble.

No doubt you know the VFX world is brutally competitive and unless you're very lucky to score something with RSP/Nation or Kojo expect to be doing loads of roto and title work in ads.

Fredski
Dec 2, 2013

WebDog posted:

Do Danny and Illia (Qube :D) still teach there? If so ask about the infamous Stargate assignment and Danny's sheep calender gift. And do you still do the Goldburn Valley project?

Vimeo seems really slow to load your videos.

Our Journey seems nice, composition wise, but plays pretty safe. Seems to suffer a bit in the texture quality department with the mars / moon landscapes. Narratively it feels a bit backwards going from Voyager to Hubble.

No doubt you know the VFX world is brutally competitive and unless you're very lucky to score something with RSP/Nation or Kojo expect to be doing loads of roto and title work in ads.

Danny is my current second year lecturer. I have seen footage of the infamous Stargate assignment, but will need to ask him about the sheep calendar!

We were the first class to have the course compressed from 3 years down to 2, so thankfully we are the first group to skip the Goldburn Valley Project :D

I agree with the assessment of Our Journey - I was head lighting, sound and editing for the project, while also focusing on animating and rendering the hubble.

As we only had 5 days from start to finish with that project, the moon and mars surfaces were achieved by displacement mapping a high subdivision plane using a surface picture of the moon. I believe they could have come out much better with a bit more TLC, as we were composting the shots we had quite a lot of surface popping that had to be cleaned up using rotopaint. (look at the back left wheel of Curiosity, the ground right next to it shows what I am talking about - we had that all over the place)

Narratively the aim was an attempt to show humanities impact on space, going from the furthest out object, jumping back through some notable locations/objects to end up looking at our blue planet.

The VFX world is certainly brutal. As such I know the best chance I have of getting work is entry level positions - roto/cleanplating/tracking, and as such this is my showreel so far - http://vimeo.com/78132247

Feel free to give feedback on my showreel too.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Fredski posted:

Feel free to give feedback on my showreel too.
I keep forgetting how nuts roto stuff is nowadays. Back when I was at TTG there was some assignment where they had to track through a kitchen and it was impossible to get stable (well before the days of steady shot filters). Some insane genius's solution was to re-create the whole kitchen in 3D...overnight.

Lucky you for not doing the Goldenburn project...did you ever have the Happyness Project? That was also a wave of misery. Only the act of putting "MACHINE RENDERING" signs on occupied toilet cubical doors kept us sane.

As for the showreel - it definitely sells you as a capable rotoscoper and the little pull-aparts help with that. I'd personally work on finishing off that highway shot as work in progress shots tend to bring it down. To be honest I wouldn't have really picked it if that text wasn't there.
"You are judged on your worst work" - as the former head of RSP once told me.

One way to get out of the "student work showreel pit" is to do some simple effects shots work in your own time - also to keep your skills fresh. What really works is not technicality but shots that are able to to convey a narrative, reveals are a good example.

Also don't forget to keep thing simple, such as that card dance trick used in Xena.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Need some quick Premiere help, and I couldn't seem to find a solution via Google: is there an easy way to swap graphics in Premiere's title maker? I have a bunch of separate graphics that need to go with individual videos, but unlike the regular Premiere timeline there doesn't seem to be a way to easily replace assets. I'm trying to swap the city winner graphic here:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

1st AD posted:

Is there an easy way to swap graphics in Premiere's title maker?
Yes. Insert your graphic as you normally would in the title maker (R-click, insert graphic) setup how you want it.

Then select the graphic and under properties select the image (or grey square in your case) under "graphic path" and that will allow you to choose another graphic to be replaced in the same spot.

Keep in mind the graphic will stretch to the existing dimensions, so it's only really handy for swapping images of the exact size. Or you'll have to resize them under the transform tool.

Then when you're done, click on the T in a filmstrip icon on the top left of the titler screen to make a copy of the layout and change the next graphic.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yup, that worked. Thanks!

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Looking to upgrade my machine. 2008 unibody macbook pro is sluggish with anything slightly graphic intensive. I just can't decide if I go for the latest rMBP 15" or top of the line iMac. I know the iMac will be a better performer but I for some reason want portability. My current machine is a 2.0ghz core 2 duo with 4 gigs of ram so I'm thinking anything will be a significant boost. Anyone want to sway me one way or the other? I do freelance entry level - intermediate editing on music videos, short films, local commercials, and personal projects.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

It's worth noting that the new Mac Pro will be out shortly if you think you might want a real workstation, though it may be overkill for the work you're doing. If I were in your situation I think I might keep the old MBP around for offline editing and grab the iMac for finishing work.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Cyne posted:

I might keep the old MBP around for offline editing and grab the iMac for finishing work.

That sentence is blowing my mind.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Maybe he Edit RED files. Doubt it, but you never know.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What software I should use if I have to split several videos, each into 15 minute long parts. I tried Avidemux, but it takes a lot of clicks to split longer videos, and some videos have a problem that I can not "navigate" them in Avidemux, I mean I have to scroll through frames, I can not just click and move to an arbitrary point on the timeline. Media info for these videos:

IED enthusiast
Nov 6, 2006

Love is Packed in Cylinders and Smells Like Ammonium Nitrate.

Peacebone posted:

I just can't decide if I go for the latest rMBP 15" or top of the line iMac. I know the iMac will be a better performer but I for some reason want portability.

Cyne posted:

I think I might keep the old MBP around for offline editing and grab the iMac for finishing work.

If it were me I would try to sell the MBP and go for a custom windoze rig. You could probably build something very capable of handling your workload for like 1200 USD, well under the iMac/Mac Pro price. In fact, you could probably buy a decent nehalem build for next to nothing from an enthusiast, and even that would be a huge step up from your current setup. Alternatively on a 2-3000 USD budget you could build a serious serious 2011 rig. Otherwise pick up a refurbished iMac, or wait a bit for a refurbished Mac Pro to come up through the apple refurb site.

IED enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 5, 2013

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

That sentence is blowing my mind.

Well, my idea is that he would have an old beater laptop he can carry around to do some quick edits or show rough cuts to clients and a desktop machine that's more than capable of handling anything he could likely throw at it and could grow to accommodate more demanding work if needed down the road.

It's true that if you go by raw power you could easily build a workable or even equivalent PC setup for less, but I've been using Macs exclusively for nearly a decade and I've come to not mind paying a bit extra for the benefit of an operating system that I enjoy using and makes me more productive on a day to day basis. Obviously, that's entirely subjective, but if Peacebone wants to continue using Macs for his editing work I think my suggestion is worth considering.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
No, you're right, it's just historically, iMacs would never be used "for finishing work."

In other news, I just sent this email to my boss:

"I'e been looking for quirky, well-shot inspirational videos for two hours now, and all I've found is "meet your first black girlfriend" and "sped up blowjobs by camille crimson".

I feel like in the future, editors will be judged on their ability to find obscure wedding videography on vimeo. I need to take a few workshops."

gently caress rips.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

No, you're right, it's just historically, iMacs would never be used "for finishing work."

Oh yeah, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I just basically meant that would be his machine for the final edit / output and rendering, not necessarily finishing in the classical sense of the word. I definitely wouldn't want to use an iMac for serious color grading or anything like that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've graded lots of stuff shot at 3k or 4k using an iMac. It's not ideal but it's not completely undoable either. I could never manage it for any kind of show or film, but for commercial spots it's perfectly doable.

Hell, REDCINE-X doesn't run Epic footage half bad at...half resolution :haw:

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Cyne posted:

Oh yeah, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I just basically meant that would be his machine for the final edit / output and rendering, not necessarily finishing in the classical sense of the word. I definitely wouldn't want to use an iMac for serious color grading or anything like that.

My iMac will play back 2.5k raw with a couple nodes on it in real time in davinci resolve.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Hey folks

My real job is behavior therapy for kids with autism. At the center I work at, though, we were having a holiday concert. Parents came to watch the performances their kids have been working on. I do (still) photography on the weekends, so I stupidly decided to offer to make a video out of the concert. Not one to do things sensibly, I decided to do it big, with three "cameras" and an external audio source. I used two stationary point and shoot cameras to record video from two wide viewpoints -- so I have two long files from these. Then, I took close-ups / moving clips with my DSLR -- I ended up with 20 clips from this. Finally, I recorded audio with my laptop and a mic -- that's one long file as well.

I can easily sync the two wide viewpoints with the external audio and each other. That's not difficult. The difficult part is trying to figure out how to take the 20 clips I took with my DSLR and syncing each one to the external audio as I decide to use them. In a perfect world, what I envision is having three stacked video tracks -- 1 from each wide view, and 1 from my DSLR. In this perfect world, my DSLR clips are all in sequence, spaced out to keep them in sync with the audio. Since the audio is continuous, I feel like this shouldn't be impossible.

Is there a way to take my 20 clips from my 5D3 and automagically space them on the timeline or in one big video clip (inserting blank stretches when I wasn't actively recording)?

I could really use some advice!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

You can do exactly that using Pluraleyes (http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/pluraleyes/), but you probably aren't going to like that price. At least you could probably get the academic discount.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Holy crap did they raise the price? Iirc it used to be $100 for the full version.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Holy crap did they raise the price? Iirc it used to be $100 for the full version.

I don't know, but Rode has a sort of long standing deal where you get it free with the purchases of the VideoMic Pro

http://www.rodemic.com/pluraleyes

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I bought a portable audio recorder from B&H for ~70 that came with a free copy.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I'm sure you could find somebody with plural eyes installed who'd be willing to run it on the footage for $25 or $30

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
For a one time project with 20 clips I'd probably just do it by hand.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Me too. Is there audio on DSLR? It should be possible to get it accurate to within a few frames which may be enough sync for something like that, and you can manually adjust back and forth a few frames if it doesn't "look" right.

It's like half a day's work, maybe not even that.

Show us when it's done? :)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Honestly I don't even use it half the time because it's pretty easy to sync sound already, doubly so if you've got a clapper or something else to sync sound.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Hey, can DSLRs do free run or is it rec run only?

Doesn't help with this post-event, of course, just for my own information. But for something like a concert if you can get them all synced up it'd make it easier.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

They don't record timecode at all, every clip starts at 0.

FCP7 had a plugin that would set the timecode according to the date created in Log and Transfer for Canon DSLR's, but Premiere and FCPX have no such provisions.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The mk3 does record time code now, but previous gen dslrs don't, yeah.

I used magic bullet grinder to give it tod time code, it wasn't perfect or anything, but it helped at times.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

BonoMan posted:

I don't know, but Rode has a sort of long standing deal where you get it free with the purchases of the VideoMic Pro

http://www.rodemic.com/pluraleyes

This offer actually expired in September by the looks of it, which is a bummer since I could have really used it right about now with a project very similar to what Dakana was doing.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

There's a trial for plural eyes that might do everything you need without having to pay.

Although syncing just a few clips also is no big deal, what I do is typically mark a point at the first recognizable sound in the clip, then mark that same sound on your master timeline, then drop the clip in and line up the two markers. From there you're normally only off by a couple of frames and it won't take long to finish.

If you're just doing it a few times you can get pretty speedy at it.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Meh he said he walked around popping off broll so the clips will stop and start at random intervals, I could see that being a really huge pain in the rear end.

If for some reason he's in Los Angeles I would be happy to do it for him, it would take less than five minutes, but I doubt he is.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Is there a way to automatically detect bad frames and glitches in an export? Premiere if it matters.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Non-technical question here - what should I ask for when applying for a full time corporate video gig? It's hard to find data out there since there's so may different variables, but we're talking a smallish company that's looking to set up technical/training videos behind a paywall for IT professionals.

Fredski
Dec 2, 2013
This is the finished video for the major project I was discussing earlier - feel free to question, comment and/or criticize, keen to hear all feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eH9hoZ4O4

All 3D work done in Maya 2013 and rendered with Vray, composited in NukeX 7 and edited in Avid.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Those renders look fantastic and you did a great job compositing them into the video.

Is all the video just stock or did you shoot that?

I feel like the piece drags a little, but I also have a touch of ADD so others might feel differently. I'd personally edit it down quite a bit.

Also the robotic voice would be better if it was more affected somehow, it sounds like you just doubled up on the audio. Or maybe a different voice actor would make a difference there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fredski posted:

This is the finished video for the major project I was discussing earlier - feel free to question, comment and/or criticize, keen to hear all feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eH9hoZ4O4

All 3D work done in Maya 2013 and rendered with Vray, composited in NukeX 7 and edited in Avid.

My first kneejerk responses are "why is the Robot's voice and the VO guy's voice the same?" and "the robot is lit way too brightly in the scene where he's looking at the painting considering he's standing in direct shadow."