Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Szmitten posted:

This would never have been the case because every second a Transformer is on screen is a fuckload of money, effort, and time for a CGI effect to expose it's flaws. That's why the first movie is so human heavy (and they built a physical Bumblebee to help alleviate it too).

It was the case, although I'm not sure Bay was the one who nixed the idea. I've heard it was Spielberg, who is more well acquainted with making effects-heavy films in which the effects technology technically doesn't exist yet (Jurassic Park) and knew the first movie had to start small. The cost and risk really hasn't been there for the sequels, as they know it works and how to do it, hence why there has been far more robot action in both sequels. It would be pretty simple to make an all-robots movie at this point, and probably cheaper than the standard live action humans movie they've been doing, but then you're basically making an animated film, not a "real" movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Is nobody calling that TF4 Hoodie print the Swoop/2 headed Dinobot rather than Grimlock? It looks far more like it than what we've not seen yet...

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The shoulders on the hoodie print have the exact shape of the T-Rex head. I think it's pretty safe to say it's Grimlock.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Has anybody gotten Smart Robin yet? I'd love to see some in hand pictures because drat do I want this figure.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Peaugh did a review. Mine's languishing in Pile of Loot or I'd take some shots.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
MTMTE #24

Thankfully, the best part of the crossover yet though it does feel like the Orion/Rodimus stuff is barely an afterthought so far, blink and you'll miss their story compared to the others. The Lost Light continues to be the most enjoyable part of proceedings, if not perhaps the least important in actual plot terms.

* So if they're not just a throwaway gag, are the Ammonites being set up as a way to actually introduce Minicons and/or more Micromasters? It'll be hilarious if the 'good' ones end up siding with the Decepticons because of Whirl's little intervention.

* Ow, poor Metroplex.

* Speaking of setup, I'm guessing the whole Megatron-as-a-space-bridge thing is going to be used to explain that demented ability of his to pull anti-matter out of black holes. Even as a kid, I always thought that sounded ridiculous. Ridiculously cool.

* Glad Shockwave is doing the wheels within wheels poo poo as we suspected. The idea of him bowing to anyone is strangely unpalatable to me.

Oh and for the love of god, can the guy on art duties for Team Necrotitan please stop drawing Prowl with that stupid, dinky little take on his head crest. :argh:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I only saw the preview, but oh, Brainstorm... :allears:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'd totally grab Smart Robin if Diesel and Fortis weren't coming out this month :(

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I finally caught up on Dark Cybertron 1-3 last night. (Oh my god discussing comics in BSS, will wonders never cease). As a guy whose teenage years were the 90s, and as a former kid that was REALLY into comics during the 90s boom, this has that crossover stink all over it. The jarring art shifts are unpleasant. The writing is sloppy and recappy and clearly "by committee". In some ways it's even worse than those crossovers of the 90s because it's also trying to sell me new toys (that BBTS is waaaay too cool to get in stock apparently). It's just not fun or fulfilling to read. Hopefully it improves, or the next 3-4 months pass quickly. And you know what helps pass the time, is when I can actually enjoy the new waves of TF toys (BBTS!!!).

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm starting to warm up to the Dark Cybertron arc. I'm more interested in what will happen insofar as cast changes afterward, though. It'd be great if a real legitimate Decepticon wound up on the Lost Light, especially someone important. Like Starscream finding a way onboard to escape Cybertron.

I'm also morbidly hoping they at least kill one or two real characters during the course, if for no other reason than to force new faces into the 'main cast' of each comic.
I also feel like there's a chance that somehow this will all end in "EVERYONE WHO EVER DIED IS BROUGHT BACK" through some sort of Primus/Ressurection Ore/whatever BS.

I don't know if anyone is reading the 'Regeneration One' comics, but I think they're actually pretty neat.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Woof. The art on these crossover issues is brutal. And I'm a guy that places that as a pretty low priority under story.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I'm still not 100% on Dark Cybertron.

Although I have to admit, the Rod Pod was very Rodimus.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GD_American posted:

Woof. The art on these crossover issues is brutal. And I'm a guy that places that as a pretty low priority under story.

Yeah, especially when they kept on swapping artists for the Lost Light arc in the latest issue.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

RaspberryCommie posted:

I'm still not 100% on Dark Cybertron.

Although I have to admit, the Rod Pod was very Rodimus.

Also:

"So, do you think you've let us/Cybertron down by going off on some lame failed quest and letting Starscream take over?"
"Question: were you constructed cold?"
"Yes..?"
":smug: :smug: :smug:"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dark Cybertron feels like the exact opposite of a traditional big 2 crossover: the character moments are all excellent and I'm enjoying lots of the interplay between characters I haven't seen in a while. The little ideas are great too, the drat Rod Pod and its related spray painting gag were really good ones. Everyone feels well written. Meanwhile the main plot, to quote a Thew, is a loving snoregasm. Shockwave starts talking and it's just blah blah blah blah DEAD UNIVERSE and I wake up with my face stuck to the page. I don't care about Shockwave, I don't care about loving Scoop and I sure as gently caress never want to see the word prophecy on any transformers page.

But Hardhead sassing Rodimus? I could read that all day.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm down with Shockwave talking because it's the culmination of this millions-of-years-in-the-making plan and suits him being this monumental 'cylcoptic bore' pretty well.

The stuff with Scoop is weird, though. I'm fine with lesser known characters getting their shot at the spotlight...but talk about a random choice. I think if a character with a little more 'oomph' was in that spot, it may go over a bit better.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

His plan is just some poorly slopped together retcon that barely comes off cohesive. I assume there's a twist but it's just a bunch of random nonsense that he babbles about for now. Wake me up when the twist shows up.

I agree with you on Scoop. It strikes me as especially weird given they have sort of framed the late Japanese G1 characters as the "religious" segment, what with Dai Atlas and Star Saber, is there no high profile character to hold to that theme? Or I guess there isn't one getting a toy.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Metalhawk's resurrection means they decided he is getting a toy - Was Dreadwing even in this issue at all? Did the magical power of To Sell Toys replace him already!?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

GrimGypsy posted:

The stuff with Scoop is weird, though. I'm fine with lesser known characters getting their shot at the spotlight...but talk about a random choice. I think if a character with a little more 'oomph' was in that spot, it may go over a bit better.

He's getting a toy, you are going to buy the toy because he is present in the comic.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

He's getting a toy, you are going to buy the toy because he is present in the comic.

Well, this is part of my point. Yeah, I get that everything is a toy commercial...but we haven't seen a Prowl, Arcee, Rodimus, Brainstorm, Rung, etc. I understand that they're making him a character in order to sell his figure...but who is it really aimed at? I would think that kids will still be more likely to buy a flashier, more 'cool looking' guy(i.e. anyone but Scoop) regardless of the comic involvement. RiD has got to be bigger among an older demographic of fans, no? Fans who are collectors that would probably buy a re-imaginging of an obscure G1 Targetmaster regardless.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Scoop technically fits because the double target masters formed a construction squad.

That's probably the highest profile team of construction workers the G1 autobots had, unless you just make some guys up. Story needed Autobot construction workers here.

Still would rather they just made the generations toyline just all about the lost light's main cast but what are you going to do. Will they at least give us a cyberverse rod pod? Cmon, hasbro.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

GrimGypsy posted:

Well, this is part of my point. Yeah, I get that everything is a toy commercial...but we haven't seen a Prowl, Arcee, Rodimus, Brainstorm, Rung, etc. I understand that they're making him a character in order to sell his figure...but who is it really aimed at? I would think that kids will still be more likely to buy a flashier, more 'cool looking' guy(i.e. anyone but Scoop) regardless of the comic involvement. RiD has got to be bigger among an older demographic of fans, no? Fans who are collectors that would probably buy a re-imaginging of an obscure G1 Targetmaster regardless.

I agree with every part of this. I imagine that Hasbro's marketing dept is so out of touch they think kids are buying IDW Transformers comics for 50 cents at the corner drugstore. That's the only way the hamfisted cross-promotion makes sense.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At least they're mixing it up. Anything's better than just getting the same dudes over and over again, and drowning in a sea of Bumblebees, Starscreams, Megatrons, and Optimus Primes.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The legends toys for Generations are probably the best. Two obscure g1 guys in every package.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

At least they're mixing it up. Anything's better than just getting the same dudes over and over again, and drowning in a sea of Bumblebees, Starscreams, Megatrons, and Optimus Primes.

Well yeah that goes without saying.

Although I would still like a Voyager Prime and Megatron I can really like without reservation. But like...after Jhiaxus, Breast Force, Beast Wars, Metalhawk, and the rest of the Headmasters.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of Prime, here's another leaked AoE Prime figure.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

ALL HAIL LORD OPTIMUS OF THE BACKPACK CLAN!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

The MSJ posted:

Looks like somebody felt inadequate compared to Cybertron Prime.

Sidenote: I found out the other day that there's an Orion Pax figure. He's not bad.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Well hell.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Ka0 posted:

Well hell.
:doh: This took me way too long to figure out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dobots in Risguise

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ka0 posted:

Well hell.
This is what Shattered Glass should be called.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

Well hell.

Are these one of the 18 inch legends figures on the big cards?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ka0 posted:

Well hell.

Spoonerisms in Disguise. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I know what some Secret Santee is getting! :D

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ok, that one is actually pretty sweet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Is this thing super expensive? It kinda rules.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Could we consider that to be a third party Springer that nobody's ever heard of?

What's nuts, is he has Springer's alt modes, head, and colors (he even has a yellow chest), but it is a completely original mold, and isn't a knockoff of G1 Springer, Warbot Defender, Generations Springer, or any of the many transformers helicopters.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Is this thing super expensive? It kinda rules.

I just bought one for $23 shipped from Sirtoys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

catch22 posted:

I just bought one for $23 shipped from Sirtoys

The most unflattering photo possible. Not really interested anymore.