Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
YYessssss, sales. Thanks for posting!

Also, yeah fricking barrels. I still have compulsions about smashing every single one of them and it takes someone yelling at me to not go out of my way to climb something to smash a crate. There should be a list somewhere of quests where smashing is worth it (low number of barrels, or all in one room and easy to get) and when it's not (270 barrels+). I'd probably still waste all my time smashing.

Worst part about playing an artificer is being unable to easily smash barrels (and doors until you get tactical detonation), if you don't want to switch rune arms constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

DemonMage posted:

Now until December 2nd:
Double BONUS points for buying points.
Shadowfell Conspiracy is half off, $15 for basic, $25 for Collectors
At checkout you can then go Legendary for another $25, as well as the usual $60 = 11k points and $18 for MotU Standard

Also +30% experience until the 1st.

I bought shadowfell a couple days ago. :(

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Just found the thread, and it turns out I'm on the wrong server. Oh well, I can still do some good. There was some discussion of Eldritch Knight earlier, and since my build isn't anywhere in there I'll share mine.

Halfling Artificer 15/Wizard 5

STR 16, stat-ups go here, and for the love of god find a tome, even a +1 will do
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 16
WIS 8
CHA 8

Feats
Dragonmark of Healing
EWP: Bastard Swords
Power Attack
Cleave
Great Cleave
Mental Toughness
Quicken Spell
other stuff that's not important, crossbow stuff

Epic Feats
Epic Mental Toughness
Overwhelming Critical (the reason you need that strength tome)
Blinding Speed

Skills
Artificer stuff, plus the heal skill for leeches

Enhancements

This build has you charging into melee like a lunatic and firing off your (force) arm cannon point blank while spinning like an idiot. You have four cleaves, burst damage from the arm cannon, a meaningful AC (mine sits in the 80's at level 25) and a bunch of self healing. Basically, you do a fuckton of damage in melee while being able to meaningfully contribute at range, plus the ability to not die. It's great.

Edit: I'd say stuff about Epic Destinies here but I'm not actually in the one I want to be in yet, which is the Legendary Dreadnaught. I'm still stuck in Fatesinger which is terrible for all things Not Bard.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 28, 2013

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

DemonMage posted:

$18 for MotU Standard

Can't justify Shadowfell yet, but I'll bite on a $8.75 Standard Underdark

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 29, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Shadowfell is awesome, and getting the extra character slots/races/quests is totally worth the price. Especially while it's on sale.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.

Noricae posted:

There should be a list somewhere of quests where smashing is worth it (low number of barrels, or all in one room and easy to get) and when it's not (270 barrels+). I'd probably still waste all my time smashing.

Worst part about playing an artificer is being unable to easily smash barrels (and doors until you get tactical detonation), if you don't want to switch rune arms constantly.

While it's not organized into barrels per quest exactly, DDO Wiki often does tell you how many things you need to smash in quests to get the best bonus, you can see an example here where it says that you need to break 21 things to get the 15% bonus. Also lists the other various breakpoints for other bonuses, but the site doesn't always have that.

Also, with the enhancement revamp, did they get rid of the BAD DOG enhancement? Used to make your robodog go around smashing crates and things. Of course, that also meant you had to have your dog out, which was probably not a super keen plan. Alternatively, if you take Wild Shots in the Shiradi Champion tree, you can throw daggers at crates which works reasonably well. Also does pretty good damage if you have force spellpower and is only a tier 1 twist.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Bad dog is still around. It's one of the feats your pet can take, not the player.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pet enhancements were not changed and still use the old menu.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Gammon posted:

Get in the guild, get sweet buffs that make your life a lot easier for 1 hour at a time :)

Rambus has graciously invited all three of my level 3 adventurers!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Just an fyi about epic tr ;

It does _not_ give you build points for 34/36 pt builds.
It does _not_ give you a TR cache.
It does _not_ tell you what class you are leveling while you re-level to 20, so make sure you remember the build order so you do not mess up your skill points.

It is pretty much an LR that takes you from 28 to 20 and gives you an epic life feat.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
Why the hell is the server down?

Back up. Bitched for nothing.

Not_Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 30, 2013

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Is there a fire shrine on the airbus? I can't seem to find one, and I can't get past the Hellhounds in the Dryden Catacombs. :'(

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
There is everything on the guild airship except a dex shrine (or cha sometimes if someone swaps that out for dex), need GL85 before we can fit that in (as we need the new Astral Shard ship). The fire shrine is in one of the rooms near the tavern, along with the kobold, and the other side room has the +2 wis shrine.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Ohhhhhhhhh... There are closed doors that can be opened, which lead to two rooms! (On either side of the open door to the chest-room, if you are coming from the tavern). Thanks!

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
Also, if you didn't know, beat up the dummy for some sweet combat bonuses.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

what? What else am I missing out on?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

That's it really.

Upstairs Main Area: 4 stat shrines (str/con/int/cha usually), healing amp, spell pen & +1 DC to evoc spells (doesn't stack with items last I checked =-( ), stone of change (mostly for vets using guild slotted gear)
Downstairs: House D & K Defense buffs, empty slot for Shroud altars, all 5 resist shrines, tavern, training dummy for +2 to-hit, Wis shrine, kobold shaman, hobgoblin warrior, guild chest for free stuff
Upstairs upper deck: Experience Shrine, House P skill/enchant DC, Tier 3 Navigator (doesn't require ever having visited the explorer area to use)

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 3, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Holiday Producers Letter

quote:

Our first update of the year introduces two level 30 raids in the dwarf ruins of Thunderholme. The adventure area covers 7 floors with multiple raid and group encounters, while the raids start with a mated pair of red dragons and culminate in a confrontation with Aurgloroasa the Sibilant Shade. In addition to these two raids, we’ve reserved the option to add a third later in the year.

With the 40th Anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons, we’ll also be introducing a tribute to the classic Ed Greenwood module Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. This dungeon will have a version matching the published module, and an extended version using Ed’s unpublished notes that introduces you to Whisper’s Crypt. The Original Elminster (Ed) will provide the Dungeon Master voice and an optional author’s commentary around creating this beloved adventure.

DDO’s second update of the year will be pirate-themed, with new Guild Airship models, layouts, decorations and amenities. We’ll also revisit Three Barrel Cove to extend it into Epic levels.

The third update of the year will take you to Anauroch, the not-so-barren desert to the north of Cormyr. You will have the chance to battle the armies of Netheril and challenge a new enemy – the enigmatic Phaerimm.

Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap and complete the Epic levels. With this update we’ll be looking at ways to complete and improve existing systems like Epic Destinies.

One concept that we’re working through (but not promising) is end-game items. Initial proposals for this had internal names like “Greensteel 2,” “Intelligent Weapons” and “Sentient Weapons.” (Yes, there are implications of difference between “Intelligent” and “Sentient” weapons, depending on the version of D&D.) Ultimately these are items that are acquired in the endgame, earn experience and advance with you, and could require you to sacrifice other equipment to them to develop their power. Design has barely begun on this, but it may release in multiple phases and include crafting elements.

The team is also considering (but not promising) a range of additions, including scaling more content to Epic levels, adding new Classes or Iconics, adding new Enhancement paths or Epic Destinies, and possibly introducing player housing in Eberron.

Follow ups:

quote:

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23
I'm quite interested in what he didn't say. Anything about an expansion next year. Are we back to regular adventure packs at least for 2014?

Yes.

quote:

In regard to introducing new things - PurpleFooz (Lead Designer) is putting together a follow-up post to talk about finishing systems, which is a high priority for next year. He'll talk more about what that means.

Our top priority is still to finish, polish, and then introduce new things.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
That sounds interesting, especially the anniversary stuff! I wouldn't read too much into no mention of expansion - I can't imagine them not doing an expansion for that. I like Three barrel cove a lot too.

Ok so random loot gen is severely broken - this is a bug right? Have they announced a fix date maybe? Or are some loot gen mods gone for good? Did Feather of Sun get annoyed with the hate on the forums for him and break it on purpose? :tinfoil:

edit: Vv Thanks! Haven't checked there yet. Good to know!

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 4, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Check the Lammania forums and the patch notes. It shows what they're doing to help random loot next patch. It's an ongoing process though, next patch is just weapons.

And the expansion thing was pretty clear. Rowan or whoever said flat out just "No" to any expansions happening in 2014. Which is fine by me, I don't mind some expansions for DDO but this one was too small and too fast (even if the content is good) in coming.

Woden
May 6, 2006
New airships with new buffs? Sounds expensive, hope there's a way to pool AS for them.

quote:

In regard to introducing new things - PurpleFooz (Lead Designer) is putting together a follow-up post to talk about finishing systems, which is a high priority for next year. He'll talk more about what that means.

Our top priority is still to finish, polish, and then introduce new things.
I don't know what that means but it sounds cool.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'd just prefer they made the shrines for non guild members and gave members buffs that went away on death, but were reapplied on quest re-entry. So you still have to be concerned with death like now, but you don't have the tedium of redoing them.

Also you can donate Astral Shards to the guild fund in the Airship Display Room in the harbor. We've got about half of what we need for the GL85 ship -- not that we need to worry about it too terribly soon. But yeah, they can get expensive, and while it's cool to have a nice ship to look at it, unless we can buy a different skin for the GL80 one that doesn't have a lovely layout (or a pirate themed GL85 for roughly the same price), I can't see bothering with the new ships. New amenities is going to be a pain in the rear end since we have very little room to play around with (but a few Large slotted things would be cool).

As for that quote... you've got a lot of half finished systems right now. Crafting, Old Epic Loot, Tokens of the Twelve (sorta), Commendations of Valor (they've said they want to let you upgrade loot with them for example), things like that. They've also specifically said Crafting wasn't on the table anytime soon. It's underused, under-liked, and expensive to redo. Which is a shame, since the concept is sound, people just don't like the high level grind and the lack of effects you can do later on in particular. The UI doesn't help.

Basically they want to ideally finish things that are in, polish them up so they're easy to use, fun, and rewarding, and then move onto new things. As opposed to now, where they release something, it's the baby for a few updates (Monster Manual), and then it's completely ignored. Either because the cost:benefit ratio isn't worth it, or they just prefer the new shiny thing (as a lot of players do).

Woden
May 6, 2006
What about stuff like ToD sets being 99% garbage thanks to loogen and enh pass, similar thing with ML 20 epic items and I guess a ton of raid items? Commendations of Heroism still suck in CiTW so is that a system that'll get a look in, especially with the new raid/s coming?

What about the N/H/E loot drops, is that getting retrofitted into other content? I kinda hate it TBH, makes running EH pointless. What about the enhancement pass, still a ton of things not working there, they've slowly been fixing stuff so I guess that'll keep on trucking. Reavers Refuge runes? That whole system is lovely, will it get a look in? And the big one, where's my extra chatacter storage.

Epic 3BC sounds cool, it's the only pack I don't own but the loot is basically proto CiTW stuff. All modified crit profiles, damage types and weird stats for to-hit/damage, if it's a level 30 or so chain it should out class CiTW.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Do you mean it makes running EE/EN mostly pointless? EH gets you 99% of the power of EE loot for 25% of the effort in most cases, you'll get an occasional exception where a yellow slot becomes a green when it hits EE, or a particularly meaningful stat gets just better enough to give a poo poo. As for it being retrofitted... doubtful unless the content gets a shine-pass like being made epic. It's easy to add into new quests, it's a lot more effort to mess with older items (especially since they just did a pass on them not long ago).

ToD is unlikely to get looked at (at least until they go back and add another area to that, which is in the long term plan), but could easily be solved by going with my handy dandy BTC loot level system. If the item is currently ML2-19 and is BTCoA then it's ML0. ML20-30 make it ML20. Or maybe even go 1-20 and 21-30. That would let some of the old epic items potentially be useful while leveling up in heroic levels as a TR at least. Would also help alleviate some of the space concerns, since you wouldn't need to keep around 3 slightly better weapons to use while leveling of the same type (i.e. craftable item, greensteel item, and maybe a third high teens items that beats greensteel). Of course I doubt they'd ever do anything this nice. You'd get a lot of whiners bitching about how it trivializes the game, but if you're a well geared TR character, Elite is not challenging. You might die to a bullshit death every once in awhile, but it's not going to be hard for you without being impossible for lesser experienced/geared people.

I'd imagine the two new raids will also drop Commendations of Heroism, hopefully with a FoT like rate, whether they bother to go back and mess with CitW drop rates is totally up in the air. They should absolutely be at a minimum of FoTs rate, and ideally 2x FoT rates (make each Commendation capable chests have those rates) due to the length and annoyance.

Reaver's Refuge runes were already given a pass awhile back, and let you combine them and come pre-IDed. So I wouldn't expect that to get touched, but there are also a number of people on the dev team who like Reavers for some reason, so it wouldn't be surprising either.

Enhancement pass... yeah they've been bugfixing that, and don't show any signs of stopping. Plus we know they're adding another tree or two here in the near future.

Extra character storage is supposed to come with U21, which isn't even up on Lammania yet.

[Edit] In general, you should expect named loot to last you for a few levels (3-5) and raid loot longer than that (6-10) was roughly what they said recently in one of the loot threads, after taking feedback in and talking to the team (from what I remember). With lootgen items being largely for filling in holes in itemization for your gear setup, or what you've had drop or whatever.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 4, 2013

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Sounds like a lot of positive changes. I'd really like to see the new classes/iconics especially, and the Epic pass of 3BC would be sweet as well. I actually like that area, but I know not many people do. If they stick to what they've said, I like what they've got planned.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Oh character storage is U21? Sweet.

You're right that "EH gets you 99% of the power of EE loot for 25% of the effort in most cases", but that just means it'll be on the AH or someone will trade it to you for a pittance. Making EH still worthless to run and EE the only way to get increased character power or some decent AS/plat/commodity, generally speaking. The other thing I hate about it is the increased levels for EE items, ETRing is a thing and so it sucks having to wait an extra 2 levels for an item that supposed to be better but sometimes ends up being a lot worse because of this mechanic. Intricate Field Optics come to mind here.

Haven't been playing much so only just got back to level 20, the idea of spending the next 30 hours of game time or so farming EH quests on auto pilot with no real other gain has me really reluctant to log back in. I could do EEs with friends but the good EEs(for comms) generally have poop loot, and the idea of doing say Stormhorns hoping for Wondrous lootgen +11 stat items feels absurd when there's a good chance it'll be outdated next update.

Game feels like it's in a holding pattern until they can get to the 30 cap and start loading up the end game again, well for me at least. Never been a fan of the TR grind.

quote:

Another year of no Gnomes?

quote:

An active discussion around here. We want it, the challenge is fitting it into the art schedule.
Please make it so, gnomes own. Could just do a normal gnome for FTP and a Deep Gnome Iconic or something, Monk Iconic of course.

Woden fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 4, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Totally agree on the level raising with hard/elite. That at a minimum really needs to change.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I'm thinking about doing a Shuricannon build next life as a Drow...does anyone know if Shuriken Expertise, and the Ninja Spy core enhancements stack? Or are they both considered the same effect? They both give a chance for an extra shuriken based on dexterity, but it's hard to tell if SE is a redundant feat in that case.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Divine is finally getting it's third destiny, very early stages. It's melee-centric, but will provide some options for casters (like clerics/FvS, or even others leveling in the sphere).

Other ideas thrown around as things they'd like to do: Warlocks, Kobolds, more PrEs.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Goddamnit, I'm feeling the urge to start playing this again. What have I missed since I left (right before Shadowfell released).

Woden
May 6, 2006
Random loot got jacked way up, +8 stat items at level 15 and the like.
2 new FTP quests.
New enhancement pass changed how to build toons a ton, but you got a free +20 heart to try and salvage your toons.
Epic TRing is a thing now.
End game is deader than I've ever seen it.
Iconic races which are pretty badass.
Monk is now the best class, if you're ever in doubt about what levels to take more monk is always viable. Kinda joking here, but they're pretty broken now.
All your toons will have a battle box, which you can turn in for one free CiTW weapon of your choice.

A new divine ED is cool and all but I don't see it helping paladins be not terrible, and that's what's really needed ATM. But then I don't really have much of an imagination, so maybe they can pull it off.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Two. Two free Raiders Boxes if they've ever raided. 1 if not.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Woden posted:

All your toons will have a battle box, which you can turn in for one free CiTW weapon of your choice.

Holy poo poo. You mean I can just go and have twilight just like that? After running my 15 or something runs and quitting out of frustration. Alrighty then.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Sure, but like I also said random loot is really jacked up, so you could probably find something better on the AH.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah, Twilight is one of the couple CitW items that can have better stuff randomgenned. I mean, if it's an upgrade it's probably not a bad idea, but there are better things. Things like Pinion, though? Fuckin' incomparable to anything else around.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Yeah, Twilight is one of the couple CitW items that can have better stuff randomgenned. I mean, if it's an upgrade it's probably not a bad idea, but there are better things. Things like Pinion, though? Fuckin' incomparable to anything else around.

Pretty sure I already have a Pinion. I think I had most of the good stuff but was incapable of pulling a twilight. Plus im really bad at the game and usually cant tell what is and isn't good so I just grab named items.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Total sidetrack - what the gently caress is with the guy Merdinapower on Argonnessen? Everytime I see him, he's either level 18 or 22...and he's always a loving barbarian too. It's like he's got a stash of Otto's stones and has half a dozen plus barbarian past lives or something.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Never seen or interacted with that guy, sounds pretty silly though.

Also apparently Festivault has started, for whatever that's worth. And VIPs are getting an extra 10% XP bonus to 25% total until the 16th. And all classes/races are 30% off (except Iconics) until the 12th.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Looks like augment bags and shared bank will be on sale too just for this weekend (extra sales every weekend it seems: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/432065-DDO-Store-Winter-Deals!-Great-Deals-Every-weekend-in-December ). Just what I needed actually; thanks Turbine ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

And VIPs are getting an extra 10% XP bonus to 25% total until the 16th.

Turbine! :arghfist:

• Locked thread